Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
All of that was in the press release.. or is there something else new I'm missing ?

I have no idea. Didn't see it. I posted this for those who didn't I guess. The bit about pricing is really positive news that I hadn't seen (but already predicted) and it's good to hear that they've got (much) more cooking...

Last edited:
•••
I have no idea. Didn't see it. I posted this for those who didn't I guess. The bit about pricing is really positive news and it's good to hear that they've got more cooking...
Well, it depends on what you call a 'high-end' laptop.
VR-gameing laptops might be considered high-end if gaming.
priced $800 - $3000 depending on options.
(price is a opinion)
But to me, a high-end laptop is one that can edit 8K VR video.
Priced $2500-4000 depending on options.

But a cute play with words to keep interest running when they could have just said a price range.

edit: really a minimum VR laptop costs about $800 and not considered high end.

Last edited:
•••
Well, it depends on what you call a 'high-end' laptop.
VR-gameing laptops might be considered high-end if gaming.
priced $800 - $3000 depending on options.
(price is a opinion)
But to me, a high-end laptop is one that can edit 8K VR video.
Priced $2500-4000 depending on options.

But a cute play with words to keep interest running when they could have just said a price range.

edit: really a minimum VR laptop costs about $800 and not considered high end.

That's what I'm expecting...and I think it's quite reasonable this early in the game.

•••
laptops huh?

I have:

VRlaptops.com
HoloLaptops.com

•••
made a weird little reg today.. from expired.....

WeirdVR
.com

•••
•••

large_miirage.png
large_miragely.png

both .com

•••
Well, if you like gTLD's... These are available for a hand reg...

vr.christmas
vr.lol
&
vr.fit
vr.fashon

many will not like the price, but I am considering at least one of those

Well, nothin to do but wait on football games on xmas...

•••
Merry Christmas everyone, keep checking Google trends for AR/MR/XR/VR+Keywords, this time last year over the Christmas period there was a massive jump in VR+keyword search terms, so something to keep an eye on (y)

•••
Merry Christmas everyone, keep checking Google trends for AR/MR/XR/VR+Keywords, this time last year over the Christmas period there was a massive jump in VR+keyword search terms, so something to keep an eye on (y)
Yes,
But we will not really see decent results until feb,
when folks that have the new hardware begin looking for things to do with it.
And much of that will be masked off by 'steam' since many will go there to find their apps/progs.
probably see most comprehensive results in april.
At least that's what I'm counting on.
But the next items I'm looking for are hardware sales for xmas and thinking we really won't have those till after CES.

•••
•••
•••

Well all I can say is that this time last year traffic to my VR sites went up about 500%, this year the increase has been less than 5%. I think it's fair to say that barring some miracle (a Facebook killer vr app resulting in tens of millions of sales of the Oculus Go) that the best we can hope for is a very slow and steady rate of adoption with mainstream acceptance maybe a decade away.

•••
Well all I can say is that this time last year traffic to my VR sites went up about 500%, this year the increase has been less than 5%. I think it's fair to say that barring some miracle (a Facebook killer vr app resulting in tens of millions of sales of the Oculus Go) that the best we can hope for is a very slow and steady rate of adoption with mainstream acceptance maybe a decade away.
Ya know,
the largest problem with VR is the introduction.
You can't introduce it in a TV, Magazine or online add and make it a compelling force that you have to have one. No, this animal has to be introduced in person.
Guessing that the xmas sales were at least fair...
the subsequent sales will roll of at a much better rate just from the direct introduction of the tech from one person to the other.
If you remember we once said to see VR is to understand VR.
Really, it is a introduction to a higher level 'immersion' that nobody understands until they try it..

•••
Still waiting for another purchase in this sub sub niche but until then..

Added VolumetricTV(.)com

•••
Ya know,
the largest problem with VR is the introduction.
You can't introduce it in a TV, Magazine or online add and make it a compelling force that you have to have one. No, this animal has to be introduced in person.
Guessing that the xmas sales were at least fair...
the subsequent sales will roll of at a much better rate just from the direct introduction of the tech from one person to the other.
If you remember we once said to see VR is to understand VR.
Really, it is a introduction to a higher level 'immersion' that nobody understands until they try it..

Yes, and VR headsets are not like phones (or a phone app) where you can just show your friends in the pub what it does. The 'direct introduction of the tech from one person to the other' is a lot harder.

It's also a completely new type of thing which most people wont even have a point of reference for without trying it themselves. The closest thing would be..ahem....3D TVs..

•••
•••
Congrads to @NamePov on his xr sale x,xxx maybe i need him to negioate for me lol

514B20F6-4559-4AC4-9BA0-1207B88782FA.png

•••
Interesting...
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/26/a-foolish-take-the-3-most-overhyped-technologies.aspx

Not over-rated as those investors think, but YES... Over-Hyped !
No tech has ever changed the world as fast as the way the smart-phone has,
so why would anyone expect VR/AR to do it better or faster than that on a field much larger that displaces more of the existing and not create as much anew as the smart-phone has done.
Folks better get a realistic grip on time lines.
As far as chatbots and wearables... I never seen what those that hyped it seen at all.
To me, they were totally out of touch with reality. But I'm not saying they had no use.Just not a large & broad investment opportunity.

•••
Congrads to @NamePov on his xr sale x,xxx maybe i need him to negioate for me lol

Show attachment 76260
Perhaps you need his help picking them LOL !
Wonder if it is a investor or end-user?
And if they would be using it as we might expect or for something else like extreme_.
Not bad for a term everyone still has to define before using it online.
I guess some now have a license to buy 50 more of them. LOL
But there are plenty of questions to have answered before drawing any conclusions.
And I know me saying that will sill be ignored and folks will do it anyway.
But good for @NamePov. A sale is a sale !

•••
Perhaps you need his help picking them LOL !
Wonder if it is a investor or end-user?
And if they would be using it as we might expect or for something else like extreme_.
Not bad for a term everyone still has to define before using it online.
I guess some now have a license to buy 50 more of them. LOL
But there are plenty of questions to have answered before drawing any conclusions.
And I know me saying that will sill be ignored and folks will do it anyway.
But good for @NamePov. A sale is a sale !
If he is willing to help me pick i will take his help lol great bloke and glad to see as you said a sale is a sale go XR

•••
Interesting...
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/26/a-foolish-take-the-3-most-overhyped-technologies.aspx

Not over-rated as those investors think, but YES... Over-Hyped !
No tech has ever changed the world as fast as the way the smart-phone has,
so why would anyone expect VR/AR to do it better or faster than that on a field much larger that displaces more of the existing and not create as much anew as the smart-phone has done.
Folks better get a realistic grip on time lines.
As far as chatbots and wearables... I never seen what those that hyped it seen at all.
To me, they were totally out of touch with reality. But I'm not saying they had no use.Just not a large & broad investment opportunity.

No...no and more nope...all colors and hues of no.

Given the impact that AR will have on our lives in the next 10-15 years I think AR is under-hyped right now.

All it takes is for AR glasses to *almost* look like ordinary glasses and that is going to kill off a large portion (not saying all, but large portion) of TVs, monitors, desktops, laptops, smartphones, smartwatches, many forms of advertising, and at least 30 - 50% of what's left of the already dying news paper industry. It's even going to disrupt how much people will use VR.

AR is the next computing platform. So think of how much mobile phones and computers have changed the world (education, logistics, hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, agriculture, etc, etc, etc) and then think of how under-rated AR is. AR will affect us in ways we are completely unaware of as well.

AR will be so big that there are probably industries that don't exist today that will emerge because of AR.

So is AR over-rated?? Use your own head and think for your self.

Last edited:
•••

Given the impact that AR will have on our lives in the next 10-15 years I think AR is under-hyped right now.

All it takes is for AR glasses to *almost* look like ordinary glasses and that is going to kill a large portion (not saying all, but large portion) of TV, monitors, desktops, laptops, smartphones, smartwatches, many forms of advertising, and at least 30 - 50% of what's left of the already dying news paper industry. It's even going to disrupt how much people will use VR.

AR is the next computing platform. So think of how much mobile phones and computers have changed the world (education, logistics, hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, agriculture, etc, etc, etc) and then think of how under-rated AR is. AR will affect us in ways we are completely unaware of as well.

AR will be so big that there are probably industries that don't exist today that will emerge because of AR.

The above post was heavily edited lol...

•••

All it takes is for AR glasses to *almost* look like ordinary glasses and that is going to kill off a large portion (not saying all, but large portion) of TVs, monitors, desktops, laptops, smartphones, smartwatches, many forms of advertising, and at least 30 - 50% of what's left of the already dying news paper industry. It's even going to disrupt how much people will use VR.

It's also worth noting that because we have micro devices that are powered by radio waves that are free and available nearly everywhere, it's not unrealistic that we would see the first AR contacts at least in full blown prototype form in the next 10 - 15 years. That would expand the abilities of AR immensely. Think about when AR tech goes down in price and the average person, even in third world countries can use AR to enhance and advance their lives...No need to buy a big screen TV or expensive desktop. You could program your next award winning app in bed and under your covers with no keyboard necessary. It could happen....and that's more life changing even than the mobile phone, not to compare, because it's a related technology, but you catch my drift??

Last edited:
•••

Be sure to take the article in context as they are referring to stock investors and venture capital.
Not domaining.
And they are/have not seen the returns expected in the industry.
So it has been hyped beyond return on investment.
But as I am pointing out, it's about timeline expectations.
Something we even have a problem with in domaining.

But to your point about the future...
I'm sure it is very bright for both VR & AR as a tech.
I will think about contacts when we have glasses delivered.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back