Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Renewed three domains today

AR-Gadget.com
AR-Gadgets.com
AR-Phones.com

•••
I'm looking forward to the Oculus Go. I hope Zuckerburg really pushes it on Facebook and somehow it finds that killer social app that millions decide they have to buy it.

Seems like the recent Mixed Reality headsets haven't really set the market on fire, despite Black Friday. Unless the Oculus Go and the other forthcoming stand alone headsets become instant hits, I think it's a case of slow steady growth for the next few years.

I have felt that once you get enough HMD's out there across the populous,
which should happen over this xmas,
They will sell themselves to neighbors and friends.
I think all will be winners. I don't understand how anyone could think any one HMD could capture 30% of the market
But the content market should see demand after the new year. That's what has me excited.

But, I think the killer app may not appear.
It will be a combo of things but most overlooked will be virtual social rooms where you can hangout chat or build some virtual gadgets for your room. At least, folks will spend a lot of time trying it out.
How well it goes depends on how good the content is.

•••
I'm looking forward to the Oculus Go. I hope Zuckerburg really pushes it on Facebook and somehow it finds that killer social app that millions decide they have to buy it.

Seems like the recent Mixed Reality headsets haven't really set the market on fire, despite Black Friday. Unless the Oculus Go and the other forthcoming stand alone headsets become instant hits, I think it's a case of slow steady growth for the next few years.

I think people was expecting more from VR at this stage, me too if I’m being honest, 3D’s failure was soon as companies saw people sales wasn’t good expected they brushed it aside and went onto the next project and that’s what all these major companies do with any tech.

One thing VR as got going for it, is companies are sticking with it and still pouring money in, major firms like Facebook have said it’s going to take 10 years, so a company that size with the kind of backing they have (money and users) being committed to it for that time frame, that’s fantastic!

Way I’m looking at VR at the minute is sort of like BitCoin. BitCoin started out as ‘the future’ (similar to VR), couple years ago i remember reading it was dead (people are not saying that about VR but 1 or 2 negative articles are getting written often), yet look at BitCoin now.

If you stuck with BitCoin and invested around $80 4 years ago you’d be a millionaire.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Going off topic just a bit to make several points at once.
Here is some of the latest tech in 3D Printing...
Thought this might surprise ya. Very fast, but a specialty process.

Now just as there is no 'one way' to do 3D printing, There is no 'one way' to do VR or AR etc....
And we will likely see many of everything until cost competitiveness separates the individual methods.
Eventually only those that can put out a superior product at a good price survive (generally).
This is why I don't invest in names heavy for any one segment until I see further indication
that the trend is leaning one particular way. So I don't split hairs to finely.
I might site a few narrow sub-tech's, but I know it might get a few excited, so I won't. I made my point.
But over investing in one particular tech word is never good for your bottom line.
A little at a time as things develop. Works best for me anyway.
But as for that video... WOW... can't wait to see someone do this with some other material and not resin.

•••
This is what real consumer VR looks like.

•••
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-2-million-psvr-vr-growth-1202633072/

"Based on multiple surveys with 12,000 consumers, YouGov found that the adoption of VR hardware has effectively stalled. 7 percent of U.S. adults now own a VR headset, according to YouGov, compared to 6 percent a year ago. “The penetration has plateaued,” Fuller said."

" However, consumers also told YouGov that they fear of nausea and isolation, and believe that there isn’t enough good content available for them."

This is natural for a new medium (*headsets*) that's only 3 - 4 years old *practically* speaking. Just like the early days of many new things. There's been zero viral app or video yet.

Last edited:
•••
VR is already HUGE and make no mistake about that. Fuck the negative reports.

Consider that AR has gone viral with Pokémon, but it's on a phone, not a headset, yet we still call it AR and we're all like "WOW! AR is so incredible!"

We have had the viral VR equivelant on non-headset devices for decades now, we just never called it VR (at least most of us, while some tech nerds did).

James Cameron calls his movie Avatar a VR experience. If more people saw non-headset, 3D graphics on a mobile phone the same way we see AR on a mobile phone (Pokémon go) we would see VR as having been already one of the most successful technologies in ages.

People are like "if you think AR is already successful on phones, wait till headsets get here"... But VR has been successful already for 30+ years and the only thing in its way with *headset* success is adaption of customers and the industry, which is a chicken and egg issue that always resolves with proper funding from investors ahead of time to cause the tsunami. .

VR is already a hit. Been so ages ago...

Last edited:
•••
VR is already HUGE and make no mistake about that. f*ck the negative reports.

Consider that AR has gone viral with Pokémon, but it's on a phone, not a headset, yet we still call it AR and we're all like "WOW! AR is so incredible!"

We have had the viral VR equivelant on non-headset devices for decades now, we just never called it VR (at least most of us, while some tech nerds did).

James Cameron calls his movie Avatar a VR experience. If more people saw non-headset, 3D graphics on a mobile phone the same way we see AR on a mobile phone (Pokémon go) we would see VR as having been already one of the most successful technologies in ages.

People are like "if you think AR is already successful on phones, wait till headsets get here"... But VR has been successful already for 30+ years and the only thing in its way with *headset* success is adaption of customers and the industry, which is a chicken and egg issue that always resolves with proper funding from investors ahead of time to cause the tsunami. .

VR is already a hit. Been so ages ago...
It is the point that I have continued to make that
VR is a continuation of the evolution of 3D !

•••

Well yes, but so is AR. I think it's probably easier to say that specifically, VR is a continuation of entire field of view simulations (in the case of most console games today for example where the screen is the field)... Not just 3D.

•••
Bad news for us WebVR buffs @Winfluence

"MacIntyre says the various companies developing the WebVR API, including Google and Mozilla, recently decided to scrap the WebVR naming scheme in favor of ‘WebXR Device API’. MacIntyre says the name change was done to “reflect [a] broad agreement that AR and VR devices should be exposed through a common API.”

https://www.roadtovr.com/mozilla-launches-ios-app-experiment-webar/

•••

"MacIntyre says the various companies developing the WebVR API, including Google and Mozilla, recently decided to scrap the WebVR naming scheme in favor of ‘WebXR Device API’. MacIntyre says the name change was done to “reflect [a] broad agreement that AR and VR devices should be exposed through a common API.”

Posted this a couple days ago in the XR thread.

•••
Posted this a couple days ago in the XR thread.

WebVR and WebAR may still be used as terms for the individual technologies. Remember the API and the ecosystems are not the same. So I'm keeping my most important WebVR names like WebVRTour(s) and WebVRGames.

Luckily I saw this coming and regged WebXRGames in Febuary, in case it would affect how we describe online VR games in general (I also own OnlineVRGames, OnlineXRGames, XROnlineGames and XRGamesOnline)...

•••

Most of my XR portfolio. There are a few others. XR is growing faster than ever because of articles like the one about WebXR on Road To VR. I've dived in head first with the idea that it's purely an industry term right now and may never catch on with consumers. It is fast becoming a buzz word and marketing word amongst industry people though, which is a sign that it's possibly profitable for domaining. There's not guarantee that XR will be a hit, but it certainly looks that way with all this mainstream adaption from Google, Mozilla and a host of other companies, summits, organizations and conferences...

xreality.jpg

•••
Cool! I picked up the same names I have in WebVR but WebXR versions.

•••
Cool! I picked up the same names I have in WebVR but WebXR versions.

Yeah I have SiteXR and XRSites so I didn't bother with those versions. But I do have WebXRCloud, WebXRAnalytics and WebXRGames, as mentioned before. Not sure if I'll go further than that, now that I have so many XR names. Gotta distribute my funds more equally across all 3 Rs

•••
•••

Well it's good to have strong contrarian opinions but a lot of people who have invested heavily in VR would not be reassured by the argument that 1/ 3D Stereo was a huge success and 2/ VR is simply an extension of 3D Stereo. And this is coming from somebody who personally made a huge profit on 3D stereo.

Immersive VR motion tracking 3D stereo is an improvement on 3D stereo glasses because it tricks the brain a little bit more successfully into believing the 3D illusion, but it's still a long way from the Light Field kind of 3D that is probably required to make VR mainstream. Also as regards smut which as we know is a huge determiner of whether this new tech succeeds, I honestly believe people were more willing to self abuse themselves wearing crappy anaglyph glasses than they are all encased in a bulky VR headset.

•••
I'm sure most of you have probably seen this by now, I just saw it. lol
Its the trailer to the movie 'Ready Player One'
I thought of all my peeps in this forum.
Personally, I prefer the MR term,but,I gave in & got
XrOasis.com & OasisXr.com

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Q4 headset sales expected to be slightly up on last year : https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/11/...-sales-to-ease-sting-of-a-disappointing-year/

Sorry if my posts are too negative - I appreciate a lot of you are eager to start shifting your VR portfolios but I think this forum is about honest discussion regarding the future of these 3D/virtual techs.

Wasn't negative, was a good article, read it earlier (y)

VR's too expensive right now and not good enough just yet, I can only speak for myself but I've invested heavily in VR domains, but rarely use VR myself and won't buy another headset until the tech improves a lot.

It's the future of VR i'm interested in and have invested in more than anything. When we have headsets being close to real life (HD quality/Volumetric VR Video/hatics/smells etc) and headsets are still not selling well, only then can we say VR's not the revoutionary tech that we all hoped it was going to be.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back