Dynadot

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
https://www.rt.com/usa/413383-vr-robot-control-brown/

Now scientists from Rhode Island’s Brown University have developed and sharpened a system that facilitates the operation of robots through a virtual reality headset and body sensors. The technique is being billed as an attempt to rid robotics of unwieldy keyboards and remote controls once and for all.
“For things like operating a robotic arm with lots of degrees of freedom, keyboards and game controllers just aren’t very intuitive,” said David Whitney, who co-led the VR development.

It could also be a novel way to keep humans in the loop with autonomous devices.

According to Brown University experts, the software connects a robot’s arms, legs and other features like cameras to virtual reality hardware. It effectively means human operators can make an external robot mimic their actions even though they are miles apart.

Anyone have vr robot names? Best related I have is VRTelepresence com

•••
Anyone have vr robot names? Best related I have is VRTelepresence com

Untitled.jpg

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Recieved offer via domaimagents for $500 for xrtube never had one of these before

8180BC03-AE12-4984-802F-18988053A1A0.png

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Interesting new input device
http://news.sys-con.com/node/4211735

This is why I did not invest in many 'vr editing' names. Youtube was doing the same with 2D cloud based editors and I see it as a trend for folks that lack the proper CPU power. (most of us for VR)
http://gfxspeak.com/2017/12/18/launches-sumerian-builder/
But for amazon, since they have one of the largest cloud server networks in the world, it's just one more way to leverage their own assets.

Seen a interesting add on TV this morn from MS
Remix3D.com
Yea, pretty crude stuff, but it is the beginning. It only gets better from there. And probably pretty fast.

•••
•••
•••
•••
1st expansion of Facebook Spaces now includes Vive.
While this is good in general, it probably indicates a minimum floor of quality they are placing on
their social VR experience. Including more as others quality goes up.
But I don't see this being anything till they include WMR HMD's.
I wonder where Oculus Go will fall in this since GearVR is not compatible ?
http://www.ibtimes.com/facebook-spaces-now-htc-vive-expanding-social-vr-experience-2630743

•••
•••
VirtualRooms.org

HolographicRooms.com

•••
Well, I hate to sound skeptical, but I am. Given the history.
Here is what I really think... (my pro-sumer and investor opinion)
1. It is a dev edition.
2. it has a narrow field of view.
3. shipping next year is probably late next year for a 'target'.
4. we still need a dev kit for software to be developed in advance of a consumer version. While that is expected in the spring next year, we shall see if they can make that target. But no value to anyone till both the
SDK and the Dev hardware are out there.
5. if anyone thinks they will be able to afford this, you better get to selling some names.

I expected them to say something before the year was out. It's just a bit embarrassing while all these other products are coming to market and you have been at it longer than Oculus and nothing to show for it but some special effects videos that are only a representation of what you should expect. Yes that is a normal thing when it comes to making hype for your search of venture capital.
I'm sure they will have a dev hardware product out there but I'm not expecting it till 2019. But they may take some pre-orders for the dev kit in 2018.
So you are probably looking at 2020 for a retail product. So nothing they have said has changed my expectations. But if it is to look like what they have pictured to the public, it will be very pricey or it has some large interface box you need to strap on that they are not showing us.
So, their credibility has temporarily been extended.

Last edited:
•••
WMR inferior on day one ?
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/20/microsofts-virtual-reality-attempt-is-a-dud.aspx
While I don't exactly believe that, but most are mid priced for the quality they have.
That being better than a mobile but not quite a Rift or Vive. I think we all knew that.
Street investors may change their tune when we see sales for xmas. And I have seen no early reports so we will have to wait. But no matter how many are sold, growth will occur exponentially thereafter.
VR sells itself with 'decent content'. And there is where some lessor opinions come from..

•••
•••
I have to admit. I'm kinda in love with ML's headset. It looks kinda like a bug faced gadget from a super hero movie, but after reading about what I'm looking at and how it works, I'm seeing many more applications than what today's headsets of any reality can do. It's now currently the most advanced and impressive headset to go on the market, at least in creator edition, which is a huge step forward this early in development of immersive technologies in general. I'm very impressed. It's kinda ugly, but this is the first version. Considering where we are, this is amazing. What their headset can do is fucking amazing from what I've been reading....

For example, this is the first AR headset that allows you to see graphics that are not transparent. You can't see through the projections. That is beautiful...and Earth shaking. The future is now! This is it folks. Let the hype machine start rolling because this is hype worthy progress...

This raises the bar really high for Apple, which is good, because they have this reputation of being the best and now there's a new contender, forcing them to be even more innovative. Without ML's unique light field technology, I wonder how they will compete though....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back