IT.COM

Holo vs VR vs MR vs AR vs any other reality (All realities)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
This is an interesting use for AR, imo. Personally, I think there is a seemingly-little-acknowledged detriment to our ability to think for ourselves after we have become dependent on technology for such things as navigation, but I think there is a case to be made that the pros do outweigh the cons. And in fleeting moments of navigating unfamiliar airport terrain while pressed for time, the pros are quite evident.

Guide to VR/AR Uses in Airport Operations Around the World

Airports have always been on the cutting-edge when it comes to embracing new technologies to improve their operations and the passenger experience. When the social media and mobile app wave came along, global airports were at the vanguard of innovation, pioneering innovations and applications of these technologies to simplify the travel experience for millions of passengers.

https://virtualrealitytimes.com/201...-uses-in-airport-operations-around-the-world/

•••
This is why i think 'AR' could ultimately be deemed 'VR' when both VR and AR merge together.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/playstation-vr-2-patent-built-in-cameras-augmented-reality/

Article still calls it a "a VR headset" but "with AR capabilities"
And i believe Sony are still calling it PSVR.

If you remember back when 'MR' was making a mark among us, I was making the same point.
Much to the masses dismay.
Perhaps nobody could see what I had seen ?

There are 2 basic forms of what we call AR (and sometimes called other things)
1 is a overlay of computer generated images on real/natural light reality.

the other is reality brought to you by camera (normally 2 for stereoscopic glasses/goggles) and both technically classify as AR, but the second really classifies as Augmented Virtuality, provided you can't tell the difference between the two, being the computer generated and the reality electronically superimposed. (I should add this is where the 3d mapping via camera has a play regenerating the real world and electronically superimposing it if we ever get that far)

As things have been going, that second is 'likely' to be classified as XR by the masses.
But is no different than Mixed Reality as they choose to define it.

I'm sure those statements will once again raise the roof.
And some will try to re-define that from what they read by others 'interpretations' of what they 'think' it is.
But I'm glad to see you 'get it'.

But we both know there is a difference of what it is and what it is called.

Last edited:
•••
I thought I might share a view of MARKETING not directly related to this niche, only in substance.
I had bought a bunch of names 10 years ago with the theme "wespeak(x)" and continued to buy them through the years.
For me, the only thought was the marketing angle.
Last year, I sold a bunch of them and took a recent look at the late result of where and how the names were used.
wespeaktrucks.com will give you that insight. Let your wheels upstairs ponder that substance.
I was able to speak directly with the head of marketing for the firm and quickly was able to land multiple sales.
I believe they are the largest supplier in their field at present.
My only point here is that there are many angles to this and you can't keep a one track mind about any of it.
But the marketing is always the strongest, and it takes many forms.
Just something to think about. And yes, I do have wespeakvr and some others related to the finance/banking industries still waiting for the right folks, and that is the additional point... waiting for the right folks.
For these particular sales, I hit the nail on the head, but it took many years for them to appear.

•••
Apple Patents AR Headset with Clear Lenses Which Can Turn Opaque

It is already known that Apple is working on new augmented reality eyewear technology in the background. So far, it has been tight-lipped about the project even though numerous clues have continued to trickle in. Apple is now seeking a new patent that shows the direction in which the tech company is conducting research for its AR eyewear technology.

https://virtualrealitytimes.com/201...dset-with-clear-lenses-which-can-turn-opaque/

•••
Apple Patents AR Headset with Clear Lenses Which Can Turn Opaque

It is already known that Apple is working on new augmented reality eyewear technology in the background. So far, it has been tight-lipped about the project even though numerous clues have continued to trickle in. Apple is now seeking a new patent that shows the direction in which the tech company is conducting research for its AR eyewear technology.

https://virtualrealitytimes.com/201...dset-with-clear-lenses-which-can-turn-opaque/
Don't get too excited about that one.
They have had many patents in the field the last 10 years. We still have no product.
It likely has a potential for something in the future, and hence the patent, but may never make it to anything in market. But it is a interesting potential avenue.

I think we are 2 years before any initial product. A far cry from where I thought they were a few years ago. Like everyone else, they are not ready for prime time.

Last edited:
•••
Don't get too excited about that one.
They have had many patents in the field the last 10 years. We still have no product.
It likely has a potential for something in the future, and hence the patent, but may never make it to anything in market. But it is a interesting potential avenue.

I think we are 2 years before any initial product. A far cry from where I thought they were a few years ago. Like everyone else, they are not ready for prime time.

2 years? Far cry from prime time? You are a little behind on the news....Just a little bit....

Last edited:
•••
2 years? Far cry from prime time? You are a little behind on the news....Just a little bit....
Fill me in if you know so much more !
I'm sure you will make some reason not to. ...That has been Normal.

The quality of anything AR Glasses has been low and the price point beyond the general populous capability.
Something going to change that in less than a year ?
Then you have a issue with CONTENT, and that will not really be solved until we have standards.
Think a HoloLens-2 will change that in 1 year or less ? Someone else ?
Get real and stop wishing.

I don't doubt there will be a few more high priced low quality offings in less than 2 years, and nobody can afford them, at least not in any quantity to make a difference with content dev's.
Some of you were saying the same stuff 3 years ago.
The AR Glasses industry overall is still 'at least' 4 years from 'blooming'. That is where there are enough start-ups to sell names to.
Show me something.

If any of this stuff is that compelling, you would own one at the offering prices.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe you’re right. But this Ming Kuo I’ve been reading about is purported to have a consistent track record of successfully predicting Apple launches. I don’t know your track record in comparison.

I presume any AR eyewear launch will be like Nintendo in the 80s. The eyewear will come installed with a proprietary Super Mario Bros equivalent (I mean this metaphorically. I’m not suggesting it will be a video game, but it could be.) that will be novel and provide enough utility to make people want to purchase the goods. The content providers will fall in soon afterward. I’m sure Apple, Samsung, whoever, will launch strategically such that the preliminary content is not far behind the launch.

Again, you could be right. We could be years away. I have no informed opinion from which to go off of other than the pro articles (most of which say next year will be big) and the posts on this forum. I still think the pros are probably right, but we’ll all know in time.

•••
Maybe you’re right. But this Ming Kuo I’ve been reading about is purported to have a consistent track record of successfully predicting Apple launches. I don’t know your track record in comparison.

I presume any AR eyewear launch will be like Nintendo in the 80s. The eyewear will come installed with a proprietary Super Mario Bros equivalent (I mean this metaphorically. I’m not suggesting it will be a video game, but it could be.) that will be novel and provide enough utility to make people want to purchase the goods. The content providers will fall in soon afterward. I’m sure Apple, Samsung, whoever, will launch strategically such that the preliminary content is not far behind the launch.

Again, you could be right. We could be years away. I have no informed opinion from which to go off of other than the pro articles (most of which say next year will be big) and the posts on this forum. I still think the pros are probably right, but we’ll all know in time.
I am sure we will see new launches. Even some 2nd gen of AR Glasses products.
But not at a price point that makes it compelling to the masses. It has not been all that great with the tech heads who have to have the latest gadgets.

It would help if the field of view was greater on them and there was compelling content at launch time.
Just remember that it was 7 years ago when we had the first real VR headset that was affordable.
It took time for content and because of the lack of standards, most VR HMD's are proprietary so, lots of luck getting a game for a Sony work with your Rift. It still holds the industry back. Yea, you can probably watch VR youtube on them all. But they are formatted for each model.

You might look back over a year ago when many here thought the Magic Leap One was going to change it all.
Naturally, I was nearly the only realist in the room. It is not that great quality and it costs to much and there is no compelling content nor a good variety of content.
If nothing changes with next gen products, (quality, price, content) it will result in the same as ML1.
It is all a stepping stone on the way to better and cheaper and the content will build over time.
And that is what I am stating... it takes time. More than most realize.

When it hits the 3rd gen of products, we will have a viable industry. Everything up to this point has been a beta test for a high price.

I have been in hi-tech bleeding edge projects and seen them through to market. That does not make me know-it-all, just a idea of where and how these markets work. It is not like you might be selling something people need, When they are good enough and cheap enough, people will think they need it, or better, want it.We have a ways to go.

I think Apple is 'at least' 2 years away from a product announcement and I do wish I am wrong about that.
But theirs will not be some beta. It will be a well polished product. It's usefulness as a tool to the masses will be evident and likely compelling but probably not what you are expecting.

•••
Fill me in if you know so much more !
I'm sure you will make some reason not to. ...That has been Normal.

The quality of anything AR Glasses has been low and the price point beyond the general populous capability.
Something going to change that in less than a year ?
Then you have a issue with CONTENT, and that will not really be solved until we have standards.
Think a HoloLens-2 will change that in 1 year or less ? Someone else ?
Get real and stop wishing.

I don't doubt there will be a few more high priced low quality offings in less than 2 years, and nobody can afford them, at least not in any quantity to make a difference with content dev's.
Some of you were saying the same stuff 3 years ago.
The AR Glasses industry overall is still 'at least' 4 years from 'blooming'. That is where there are enough start-ups to sell names to.
Show me something.

If any of this stuff is that compelling, you would own one at the offering prices.

I was replying to your assumption that Apple is releasing a headset in no sooner than 2 years. Stay with the times. Read the news...

•••

0.png

.com

•••
I was replying to your assumption that Apple is releasing a headset in no sooner than 2 years. Stay with the times. Read the news...
Show me 'NEWS' to the contrary.

Apple will likely make some prototypes for developers to make content. How else would you have content at launch time.
That is far from a supported retail launch.

Keo is no more news than myself stating contrary. Nobody will pay the naysayer.

You guys were following another guy a few years ago saying the same thing... remember.
You follow him because he says what you want to hear, not what you don't. It's all in how you interpret those tea leaves (the actual facts on the ground).

I will go one step further,
Expect something closer to a 'much better' google glass than HoloLens/ML1. It will be primarily a utility device... a tool for the world around you. Not that you will not be able to game with it in some ways.
That gets them away from expensive displays, large size and weight, high energy use and heat dissipation.
All of which bring down the cost, keeps with the marketability of functions of reacting to the world around you.
Probably not what most of you are expecting.

•••
Show me 'NEWS' to the contrary.

Apple will likely make some prototypes for developers to make content. How else would you have content at launch time.
That is far from a supported retail launch.

Keo is no more news than myself stating contrary. Nobody will pay the naysayer.

You guys were following another guy a few years ago saying the same thing... remember.
You follow him because he says what you want to hear, not what you don't. It's all in how you interpret those tea leaves (the actual facts on the ground).

I will go one step further,
Expect something closer to a 'much better' google glass than HoloLens/ML1. It will be primarily a utility device... a tool for the world around you. Not that you will not be able to game with it in some ways.
That gets them away from expensive displays, large size and weight, high energy use and heat dissipation.
All of which bring down the cost, keeps with the marketability of functions of reacting to the world around you.
Probably not what most of you are expecting.

I'm responding to you saying Apple has "2 years before any initial product."

You are posting here often like you're some kind of oracle, but you don't even read the news. There is strong evidence they are releasing an hmd next year. The code is in the OS, the people on the inside are leaking info - the same people who leaked info about the Apple watch, so it's reliable info. If Apple doesn't release next year it's because they had a technical delay but everything seems pretty certain for 2020 being the real "the year of AR". This has never happened previously. I'm not going to look for the links for you... You're going to stop being a know it all and do your own research..

P.S. It's unlike Apple to release an unfinished product (prototype). Cam you mention one unfinished product that Apple has released? No, you can't.... The lack of content has nothing to do with whether or not a device is a "prototype". There are thousands of AR apps already developed on their platform, it's why they released ARKit years in advance to build that Ecosystem in advance in preparation for their HMD. Additionally, they are ikely doing what they always, which is working with content developers behind closed doors for a spectacular launch event... I am not holding my breath for anything spectacular but thsts the intention...

•••
P.S. It's unlike Apple to release an unfinished product (prototype). Cam you mention one unfinished product that Apple has released? No, you can't.... The lack of content has nothing to do with whether or not a device is a "prototype". There are thousands of AR apps already developed on their platform, it's why they released ARKit years in advance to build that Ecosystem in advance in preparation for their HMD. Additionally, they are ikely doing what they always, which is working with content developers behind closed doors for a spectacular launch event... I am not holding my breath for anything spectacular but thsts the intention...
They will not RELEASE A UNFINISHED PRODUCT. I never said that. But I would expect them to build a prototype for developers to make the content fitting it for the initial retail release and set-up a programmers package kit. Then release a RETAIL product.
How they go about it does not matter to me and beyond my thinking about it.

You are telling me the contrary... 'Read The News' you say.
You have had 3 opportunities to SHOW ME THE NEWS in the contrary. I am to guess it does not exist because I do read the news. I see a lot of guessing on many peoples part and most of those guessers have made leaps of faith on timelines. I don't doubt Apple is doing many of those things... many even proven in most part. It's a matter of exactly what will be included and excluded and exactly when.

If you can show me something contrary to what I am saying, show it.
Otherwise leave it alone. Glad to see you have a opinion also, and it does not match mine.
You will just have to wait and see or show me otherwise.
OR
You guys can jack each other up 'again' with the hype and make many poor investment decisions from it.
This seems to happen around here once a year. Same players, different product subjects.

•••
I’m prepared to be disappointed. But there’s a glimmer of hope.

I’m certainly not expecting this from Apple

DE738874-C0B6-420A-A271-101747DB4B3C.jpeg

But if they produce something even slightly better than Samsung I’ll be happy and will more than likely purchase my first piece of dedicated AR tech.

Samsung have the nicest design (so far) and for me will have to be the benchmark for size and design.

431233B8-BA03-4E28-B6F5-00BE6B16BA2C.jpeg

Everyone else (nreal, magic leap, HoloLens2) has acceptable working models so I genuinely believe 2020 could be the year we’ve all been waiting for.

•••
I could share several articles and videos supporting a multifaceted argument why Apples tech is more than ready and a developer unit isn’t really needed but I’m knackered and can’t be arsed right now.

•••
I could share several articles and videos supporting a multifaceted argument why Apples tech is more than ready and a developer unit isn’t really needed but I’m knackered and can’t be arsed right now.

Guys, let's talk names :) we have a few years to get good names

•••
I’m prepared to be disappointed. But there’s a glimmer of hope.

I’m certainly not expecting this from Apple

But if they produce something even slightly better than Samsung I’ll be happy and will more than likely purchase my first piece of dedicated AR tech.

Samsung have the nicest design (so far) and for me will have to be the benchmark for size and design.

Everyone else (nreal, magic leap, HoloLens2) has acceptable working models so I genuinely believe 2020 could be the year we’ve all been waiting for.

I am curious, without knowing what any future devices are capable of, at what price point would this be a 'can't afford that' ?

And I might ask, if the/any device is not intended for full screen overlay,
And/Or
If the device is just a simple overlay and gives you instant on-screen info and directions. Perhaps quickly interpret other languages in your native tongue and could also play games 'like' Poke'mon go
- would that be a non-starter for you ?

If that said device was under $500 ?
If it were $1k+ ?
I would just like a honest opinion of your willingness to spend for/on AR products.

Or perhaps allow me your opinion of what 'you expect' from a device under $800
I'm not picking, just curious since you stated your interest in purchase without a known capability.

Anyone can chime in on this, it's a open question to where you think these initial offers will land.
'Capability and price', what do you expect for your money.
I will only 'maybe' add one comment to it, perhaps tomorrow, but by weeks end.

Last edited:
•••
I want the HoloLens2 specs wirelessly tethered with an iPhone for $4k as a package on a contract over 36 months.

•••
They will not RELEASE A UNFINISHED PRODUCT. I never said that. But I would expect them to build a prototype for developers to make the content fitting it for the initial retail release and set-up a programmers package kit. Then release a RETAIL product.
How they go about it does not matter to me and beyond my thinking about it.

You are telling me the contrary... 'Read The News' you say.
You have had 3 opportunities to SHOW ME THE NEWS in the contrary. I am to guess it does not exist because I do read the news. I see a lot of guessing on many peoples part and most of those guessers have made leaps of faith on timelines. I don't doubt Apple is doing many of those things... many even proven in most part. It's a matter of exactly what will be included and excluded and exactly when.

If you can show me something contrary to what I am saying, show it.
Otherwise leave it alone. Glad to see you have a opinion also, and it does not match mine.
You will just have to wait and see or show me otherwise.
OR
You guys can jack each other up 'again' with the hype and make many poor investment decisions from it.
This seems to happen around here once a year. Same players, different product subjects.
I am curious, without knowing what any future devices are capable of, at what price point would this be a 'can't afford that' ?

And/Or
If the device is just a simple overlay and gives you instant on-screen info and directions. Perhaps quickly interpret other languages in your native tongue and could also play games 'like' Poke'mon go

If it were $1k+ ?
I would just like a honest opinion of your willingness to spend for/on AR products.

I'm not picking, just curious since you stated your interest in purchase without a known capability.

Anyone can chime in on this, it's a open question to where you think these initial offers will land.

And/Or

If it were $1k+ ?

I was responding to you saying Apple has "2 years before any initial product.".

I don't personally believe they are releasing a "prototype" because that IS an unfinished consumer product. But even if it is a "prototype" that is still an "initial product', which is said to be released next year... Not in "2 years" as you stated. I am just informing you. You post news here all the time. Find the links yourself. I have no time to find them again. Search "apple AR glasses 2020". It's everywhere. You know how to use Google, right?

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back