Domain Empire

Hijacked Domain cwr.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daehler Ralph

Established Member
Impact
I have a very important message for all domainers. I have bought 1 month ago the domain cwr.com (Registrar Networksolutions) over Sedo for USD 19950 and the transfer happened successful after a few problems with an invalid Authorization Code for a transfer to my GoDaddy account, I decided to takeover the domain to my account by Networksolutions. But yesterday Network Solution has transferred the domain back to the old owner without any information. I have opened a ticket by Network Solution and they explained me that the domain was hijacked and sold later and also back transferred to the old owner.
Sedo hasn't checked well the whois-Informations with the seller contact information, which was somebody from Mexico.
Now I have lost my money and for Sedo is the task closed when the domain is transferred.
A warning on all domaines that can happen to everybody which buy a domain on a non-registrar-platform like Sedo.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Perhaps a lawyer such as Berryhill could help you negotiate with Sedo to minimize your lost.

I am slowly learning not to even deal with these big domain marketplaces as if something goes wrong, no matter how much you have spent at their marketplace, they will not help out. Also, I would not deal with any reseller until you are certain they are trustworthy as too many red flags with some people.

Prayers for something to work out!

•••
I just emailed Alejandro and let him know that you need help. Hopefully, he will do the right thing!

•••
This again urges me to think about finding an insurance company that can give me a policy against domain ownership issues.

Would the insurance company physically send a representative to the domain owner to sign a purchase / ownership agreement?

In a perfect world, I suppose an iron clad domain sale would be notarized, video taped, and live streamed at the WHOIS address.

But how to know WHOIS wasn't changed years ago?

Would you need original owner, and each owner after that, to confirm the domain is not stolen? What if owner didn't renew, and assumed stolen, when it was actually deleted / auctioned?

It almost seems like an insurance company can create some sort of ## point checklist to determine risk factors. The harder it is to verify, the more expensive the policy. But given the resources needed, it might only be feasible for high value purchases.

Last edited:
•••
oki then i say sorry to you. we forget this story.

•••
An advanced internet user with secure computer will not need 2FA for his/her online accounts. 2FA must be optional.
An advanced internet user will not enter his/her password on a fake page, will choose strong passwords, etc.
Secure computer is run by a secure Linux operating system. Most websites are hosted by Linux computers that are open to all of kind of online dangers 24/7. If Linux wasn't secure most websites couldn't run.

If you have an online business like domaining, you should use Linux computers, should spend time to learn about Linux and internet security. A domainer is expected to have more technical knowledge on computers and internet than an average internet user who uses internet for social media or paying utility bills online. If you don't know how to keep your online accounts secure from hacking, it's better for you to stay away from any internet based business until you learn it properly.

If someone can steal your domains for your ignorance, and if you can get your domain back from the registrar, you may never need to learn anything. This type of ignorant domain owners is a bigger risk than any platform. Because their domains can be stolen again and again until they learn how to keep their accounts secure.

PS. Since the beginning, I have not been commenting about a particular person, domain or platform on this thread.. I don't defend or accuse any particular person or entity on this thread. These are my general opinions on marketplaces and domain industry. I am neutral to the particular issue on this thread. I don't know if the domain mentioned on this thread is really stolen. For me, everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

•••
I am getting no reaction from Network Solutions. They know who is the real thief but no reaction.

On everybody here which read my response. To stop such awful stories.

TRANSFER ALL YOUR DOMAINS AWAY FROM NETWORK SOLUTIONS TO A SERIOUS REGISTRAR!!!!!!!!!!

Just my advice. GoDaddy, Epik, Uniregistry what else.
It's not a problem from Sedo or Escrow. They just want to make fast money.

•••
things slip through.

1. We know this has happened before on Sedo, we know stolen domains have slipped through.
So are consumers supposed to just allow and/or accept stolen domains to be "slipped through?"

As a consumer there has to always be a reasonable expectation that the goods you are buying are just that, good.

This is basic consumer protection that often seems to go missing in the domain industry.

•••
If the whois-information (owner from USA) would have been checked seriously (not private) and compared with the seller information (from Mexico) on the sales purchase agreement then the sale wouldn't have been happened. That's a shame.

Last edited:
•••
So was this a sale on Sedo platform or was it a listing sold by Sedo? i.e. represented by their own brokers?

If as a platform... yeah, I get it... gives them a black eye.
But... if it was a name sold by one of their own brokers... oh I would absolutely be suing and quite winnable case.

It was stolen, listed on Sedo and someone purchased it, I saw the same thing with NWX.com contacted the real owner who joined here, he said it was stolen, I told Sedo and @namesilo where the name was transferred to.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/nwx-com-stolen.1114619/

•••
It's probably not hijacked, you probably bought stolen property.

Due prudence just like you do when you buy a house is always indicated. One does a title search and a domain should be researched in a similar fashion before large sums of money changes hands.

If you look carefully there were probably clues that the domain was stolen or similar.

Not saying I don't feel your pain but man you have to be careful buying domains nowadays. If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

The comparison to real estate is appropriate, and the question of due diligence. In major domain transactions are there professionals who for a fee will do diligence on a potential purchase? It seems to me if there were, and if they carried some type of insurance to cover cases of fraud/stolen property that they missed, it would give purchasers (obviously only for high value sales) peace of mind.

Bob

•••
@Daehler Ralph can you contact your payment provider and tell them that you need to refund the payment, because the receiver fraudulently lured money out of you? If you paid through PayPal you can ask for a refund.

•••
I realize it does not apply to this transaction, but if you pay for a domain name with a credit card, and the domain name is later taken from you, if it is within the time period for such claims, can you ask your credit card for a refund and they will reverse the charge to (in this case Sedo)?

•••
Ich think they has not calculated, that I publish that. I am very good customer of sedo. This year i have already sold a very high value domain over sedo for 75000usd to buy a better domain like cwr.com for my startup business.

... and that's the reason you should publish it. Everywhere. So they come to you, apologize, and try to solve it. But talk to the attorney first how to do it the right way.

•••
Ich think they has not calculated, that I publish that. I am very good customer of sedo. This year i have already sold a very high value domain over sedo for 75000usd to buy a better domain like cwr.com for my startup business.

I will say give an application in court and make sedo , thief as parties .and get the domain locked.
You are not domainer sir , you are a person from general public who does not know much about domain technical details . That's why you went to sedo..
It is sedo's duty.. if they are working for seller to help him sell asset , then you ( buyer ) being taken care of your money spent on sedo platform is also Sedo's responsibility .
Else you would have used escrow.com but sedo is a big name , in fact very big doing frequent transactions of much higher amounts such as half million for fastfood.com !!

Last edited:
•••
WHOIS Registrant Name History of CWR.com according to DomainIQ
  • December 2014 -- RJR Enterprises Chuck Risley
  • April 2015 -- Perfect Privacy, LLC [possibly updated 2015-03-12T19:03:30Z]
  • October 17th, 2018 -- Glenn Smith [possibly updated 2018-10-07T17:26:04Z] *tagging @ninjadomain for comment*
  • October 18th, 2018 -- Alejandro Garcia Briseno* [possibly updated 2018-10-18T04:19:32Z] [email protected]
  • October 25th, 2018 -- Perfect Privacy [possibly updated 2018-10-24T18:04:20Z]
  • December 5th, 2018 -- Protected, WhoisGuard [p. updated 2018-11-03T07:30:15Z] [email protected]**
  • December 19th, 2018 -- Daehler, R (assuming @Daehler Ralph) [p. updated 2018-12-14T11:47:03Z]
  • January 4th, 2019 -- RJR Enterprises Chuck Risley [p. updated 2019-01-04T17:21:13Z]
**Registrant Name shows Protected WHOIS Guard, yet it reveals WHOIS Info. The address listed appears to be a UPS store.
upload_2019-1-4_13-56-11.png

Hosting History
upload_2019-1-4_13-53-57.png

Last edited:
•••
1) In the case of cwr.com was it not sedo's responsibility to verify identification documents of the seller before allowing him to list any domain for sale..

2) after sedo allowed the thief to list cwr.com ( whether his initial identity proof was verified or not ) , was it not sedo's responsibility to verify the ownership of cwr.com

3) after the domain got sold ,and sedo sent the money to seller , won't sedo be having bank account details of seller in which sedo deposited proceedings of sale..

When buyer has told that he has been cheated , what is sedo doing now.
Do they have no obligation to report about the seller to authorities .
Or do this responsibility also depend on person ( buyer ) who has got cheated.
After buyer's exposure of him being cheated , can't sedo alert the bank to freeze money in seller's account saying that they have got complaint from buyer...

When sedo can earn big commission from sale of domain name , then everything wrong associated with domain name is sedo's responsibility...

I agree with the point that Sedo should report the seller to relevant authorities considering they have bank account information etc.

•••
WHOIS Registrant Name History of CWR.com according to DomainIQ
  • December 2014 -- RJR Enterprises Chuck Risley
  • April 2015 -- Perfect Privacy, LLC [possibly updated 2015-03-12T19:03:30Z]
  • October 17th, 2018 -- Glenn Smith [possibly updated 2018-10-07T17:26:04Z] *tagging @ninjadomain for comment*
  • October 18th, 2018 -- Alejandro Garcia Briseno* [possibly updated 2018-10-18T04:19:32Z] [email protected]
  • October 25th, 2018 -- Perfect Privacy [possibly updated 2018-10-24T18:04:20Z]
  • December 5th, 2018 -- Protected, WhoisGuard [p. updated 2018-11-03T07:30:15Z] [email protected]**
  • December 19th, 2018 -- Daehler, R (assuming @Daehler Ralph) [p. updated 2018-12-14T11:47:03Z]
  • January 4th, 2019 -- RJR Enterprises Chuck Risley [p. updated 2019-01-04T17:21:13Z]
**Registrant Name shows Protected WHOIS Guard, yet it reveals WHOIS Info. The address listed appears to be a UPS store.
Show attachment 106223

Hosting History
Show attachment 106222

I had given him (AGB) a loan with cwr.com as collateral. He paid me back with interest as he has done with a few domains. The strange thing is I had offered him $30k for the domain and he said it was too low. I have not heard from him (AGB) in a few weeks so not sure what is going on. If a big value domain, I always recommend trying to reach the previous owner to make sure everything is legitimate.

•••
I had given Alejandro a loan with cwr.com as collateral. He paid me back with an extra fee like he did with a few domains. I tried buying for $30k, but he said the offer was too low. I have not heard from him in awhile so my only advice is to not deal with him until he is cleared.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-01-08 13-03-20.png
    Screenshot from 2019-01-08 13-03-20.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 112
•••
Once a purchase and sale has been completed, however, Sedo cannot return the funds paid to a seller as we are not an appropriate party to arbitrate a dispute. If a domain is later taken away from a buyer because of the seller’s violation of the purchase and sale agreement Sedo advises the buyer to seek legal counsel to pursue the seller for breach of contract and will support the buyer by providing a documentation history regarding the transaction.
This again urges me to think about finding an insurance company that can give me a policy against domain ownership issues.

•••

Yes, I mentioned that years ago, no one seemed interested but I think it's a good idea.

•••
I just gave him a small loan of $$$$ with cwr.com as collateral, thinking he was the owner. I tried to buy for $25k to $30k, but he said it wasn't enough. I saw it sell for $20k on Sedo before you purchased and asked him what was going on and Alejandro said it was a pricing error and he was not going to sell.

•••
Update on Jdu.com according to Godaddy:

They have assessed the domain name listing to be valid and the domain ownership not to be in question. Domain has had the same owner with GoDaddy since 2005.

•••
You would need to ask Sedo as I am pretty certain they sold earlier. I would also contact network solutions as they will see that it (if I am correct) that the domain was with him all of this time prior to the loan from me and after.

He offered to sell me jdu.com also, but I did not buy.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-01-13 13-10-28.png
    Screenshot from 2019-01-13 13-10-28.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 254
•••
Ralph,

I have NEVER stolen a domain! The only explanation is:

1) Network Solutions is neglecting where Alejandro took from the owner's account.
2) Alejandro was the original owner and pretended it got stolen.
3) Alejandro used my information for his account.
4)Etc.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back