Domain Empire

Hijacked Domain cwr.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Daehler Ralph

Established Member
Impact
I have a very important message for all domainers. I have bought 1 month ago the domain cwr.com (Registrar Networksolutions) over Sedo for USD 19950 and the transfer happened successful after a few problems with an invalid Authorization Code for a transfer to my GoDaddy account, I decided to takeover the domain to my account by Networksolutions. But yesterday Network Solution has transferred the domain back to the old owner without any information. I have opened a ticket by Network Solution and they explained me that the domain was hijacked and sold later and also back transferred to the old owner.
Sedo hasn't checked well the whois-Informations with the seller contact information, which was somebody from Mexico.
Now I have lost my money and for Sedo is the task closed when the domain is transferred.
A warning on all domaines that can happen to everybody which buy a domain on a non-registrar-platform like Sedo.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The address
PSA:

Do not do any business with anyone named Alejandro Garcia or Paty Mar from Mexico

Might also use additional aliases

This names and adresses are guaranteed faked. But why happens this with so many netsol accounts?

•••
I have a very important message for all domainers. I have bought 1 month ago the domain cwr.com (Registrar Networksolutions) over Sedo for USD 19950 and the transfer happened successful after a few problems with an invalid Authorization Code for a transfer to my GoDaddy account, I decided to takeover the domain to my account by Networksolutions. But yesterday Network Solution has transferred the domain back to the old owner without any information. I have opened a ticket by Network Solution and they explained me that the domain was hijacked and sold later and also back transferred to the old owner.
Sedo hasn't checked well the whois-Informations with the seller contact information, which was somebody from Mexico.
Now I have lost my money and for Sedo is the task closed when the domain is transferred.
A warning on all domaines that can happen to everybody which buy a domain on a non-registrar-platform like Sedo.

It's probably not hijacked, you probably bought stolen property.

Due prudence just like you do when you buy a house is always indicated. One does a title search and a domain should be researched in a similar fashion before large sums of money changes hands.

If you look carefully there were probably clues that the domain was stolen or similar.

Not saying I don't feel your pain but man you have to be careful buying domains nowadays. If it sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

•••
Am very sorry about this situation.

•••
So was this a sale on Sedo platform or was it a listing sold by Sedo? i.e. represented by their own brokers?

If as a platform... yeah, I get it... gives them a black eye.
But... if it was a name sold by one of their own brokers... oh I would absolutely be suing and quite winnable case.

•••
honestly, would talk to attorneys anyway, one may pick up the case on contingency

•••

I saw this domain hit Sedo and thought it was stolen, might be the same person that stole NWX.com.

•••
The transfer happened as follows.
Sedo has taken over the domain to their sedo account from the old owner (whois was the same like now) and then I took over the domain to my account. All happened on the network solution side.

•••
cwr.com is still listed for sale at Uniregistry.

•••
The transfer happened as follows.
Sedo has taken over the domain to their sedo account from the old owner (whois was the same like now) and then I took over the domain to my account. All happened on the network solution side.
Yes .. it seems @Sedo was in mutually agreed agreement with the thief to showcase his domain name and hence sell it...

Is sedo and their management nuts to "facilitate sale of stolen asset ".. in India police will first beat the facilitator properly before beating thief...
Sedo what kind of morals you have been passed on from your founders and current CEO and chairman

Last edited:
•••
•••
That's why i always request transfer away to my own registrar on any escrow transaction.
Netsol again won title as worst/expensive/unsecure registrar out there.

As Sedo not check deeply sellers it must refund funds to buyer, that's not a usual situation and they can afford for themselves to refund buyer and try to find fake seller as they have all private data of him (bank accounts etc).

Buyer paid via Money Transfer here (directly to Seller, I assume). All Sedo can do is give him the Domain Receiver's details. Which will very likely be fake.

•••
Thanks a lot for your good help and advises to all.
I have paid the amount by money transfer first to sedo and they have transfered after the transfer to the seller.

Okay, so they must know the bank account (or pay pal) of the thief and ask for a refund of their money provider. They just don't want to do that. And for this kind of behavior they deserve publicity. Such a large company should not act like this.

Last edited:
•••
Okay, so they must know the bank account (or pay pal) of the thief and ask for a refund of their money provider. They just don't want to do that. And for this kind of behavior they deserve publicity. Such a large company should not act like this.
Ich think they has not calculated, that I publish that. I am very good customer of sedo. This year i have already sold a very high value domain over sedo for 75000usd to buy a better domain like cwr.com for my startup business.

Last edited:
•••
I will say give an application in court and make sedo , thief as parties .and get the domain locked.
You are not domainer sir , you are a person from general public who does not know much about domain technical details . That's why you went to sedo..
It is sedo's duty.. if they are working for seller to help him sell asset , then you ( buyer ) being taken care of your money spent on sedo platform is also Sedo's responsibility .
Else you would have used escrow.com but sedo is a big name , in fact very big doing frequent transactions of much higher amounts such as half million for fastfood.com !!

Yes you are right. I am not a professional domainer. I have now learned a lot after this story. I have just blindly trusted in companies like Sedo and Network solutions.

•••
So the domain was stolen in 2014 and only now returned?

•••
So the domain was stolen in 2014 and only now returned?

How do you figure?

In 2015, the domain went into privacy. This does not necessarily mean it was stolen then. The owner may have been receiving a lot of spam / unsolicited emails during this time, as it was during the CHIP boom.

WHOIS now shows the domain was recently returned to the same registrant name that was listed in 2014. More would have to be known / discovered to uncover the exact stolen date / time.

@Daehler Ralph -- Have you contacted the current domain owner yet? [RJR Enterprises]

Last edited:
•••
Sedo charges massive 15% commission, I thing they must include in their sales agreement full refund in cases when domain was stolen and returned to previous owner. It must be their problem to return back processed funds and buyer must be 100% covered by refund.
But i want to mention that full refund can cause problem for Sedo as well, any cheater can can sell domain to himself under different names and then claim that domain was stolen and ask for full refund from Sedo, that's why i thing they will never processed any refund in such cases (stolen domains) but who knows, possible because of reputation one day they will add such "insurance" in their sales agreement, at least they must try to process back paid funds to thief and in case they are lucky to return back funds, process them back to buyer.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo charges massive 15% commission, I thing they must include in their sales agreement full refund in cases when domain was stolen and returned to previous owner. It must be their problem to return back processed funds and buyer must be 100% covered by refund.
I agree but won't you say this time that " our buyer " here made a so called sedo's self drafted legally binding agreement" and sedo has just " facilitated the sale which they completed properly."..
Won't you this time put this argument sir as a defence from sedo's side.

•••
In the contract of Sedo stands on point 3 as follows:

3. Warranties and Representations

a) The Seller guarantees that they are the owner of the aforementioned Purchase Object and may freely dispose of said Purchase Object. Furthermore, Seller warrant that the Purchase Object is not encumbered by the rights of third parties and that to date, they have not received any warnings of potential litigation or preliminary injunctions against the Purchase Object that have not been disclosed to Buyer.

b) The Buyer understands and agrees that it is their sole responsibility and duty to perform all necessary due diligence before entering into this agreement to buy the Purchase Object, including research of fitness for particular intended uses, trademark clearance, or anything that could inhibit their future use and enjoyment of the Purchase Object.

https://sedo.com/member/contracts/t..._iframe=true&height=400&width=600&language=us Seite 1 von 2

Sedo 02.01.19, 21(58

c) Buyer and Seller shall be liable to each other only for damages that are based upon their failure to perform the necessary steps to complete this transaction, intentional wrongdoing or gross negligence and shall not be liable for claims seeking consequential or punitive damages.

I think I cannot doing anything to get a part of the money back. I would need an attorney in Germany.
This can happen to everybody. It's a warning for all buyers for the future. Be careful.

Last edited:
•••
a) """The Seller guarantees that they are the owner of the aforementioned Purchase Object and may freely dispose of said Purchase Object. Furthermore, Seller warrant that the Purchase Object is not encumbered by the rights of third parties and that to date, they have not received any warnings of potential litigation or preliminary injunctions against the Purchase Object that have not been disclosed to Buyer."'"

In the first place sedo allowed someone to come on their platform who was not even authentic seller.
What due diligence did sedo perform to find out whether the person is really seller or not...
Why sedo allowed some fraud to pose as a seller on their platform...

•••
Hello all. I have informed the owner of the domain name cwr.com now, but from Sedo I have no response neither an excuse nothing.

•••
It appears Alejandro Garcia Briseno (AGB) may have sold other 3L.com on Sedo.

Given the allegations behind other domains sold by AGB, there is a possibility that other domains sold by AGB may have also been stolen, such as GHE.com

The previous owner of GHE.com was using a Mindspring.com email address that had been pwned multiple times.

Show attachment 106307

I will work on contacting the previous owner of GHE.com to confirm the status.

If anyone is in contact with Nat Cohen of Telepathy.com, they might want to reach out to him to make him aware of this red flag.

Wow thanks for your great infos.

•••
But domainers are already complaining about escrow.com procedures, that are less intrusive.

Buyers need to do due diligence. Sedo is not the seller, and not even a real broker most of the time. Just a third party assisting with payment and technicalities. They cover their a$$, not yours.
Nobody is going to hold you by the hand. But if for some reason that is your expectation, review the terms of service first to double-check what is covered and what isn't.
Sometimes I am surprised that people are casually spending so much money in confidence on the Internet.

•••
Buyers need to do due diligence. Sedo is not the seller, and not even a real broker most of the time. Just a third party assisting with payment and technicalities. They cover their a$$, not yours.
Nobody is going to hold you by the hand. But if for some reason that is your expectation, review the terms of service first to double-check what is covered and what isn't.
And what is with escrow concierge service? Is the level of protection high enough in this case?

•••
Seems you could run an easy scam.

1. Put a valuable domain in its own account with a newly created email.
2. List domain at Sedo
3. Sell domain and get paid under scam whois and overseas bank
4. Use real info and tell registrar the domain was stolen.

Now you got paid from Sedo and the registrar returns domain from the unsuspecting buyer at Sedo.
Yes great analyze. It's so easy to get money like that.
And then you wait 1 or 2 years and repeat the same scam with the same domain.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back