Status
Not open for further replies.

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
here is how to properly promote your business at namepros

upload_2020-1-9_0-33-33.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's one place where I'll agree with you 100% .. content providers (like NamePros) should not have their sources of revenue deliberately blocked.
A big problem. With a constant war between adblockers and advertisers there would be no winner. Nowadays, it actually depends on a website. If somebody sells ad space to bad actors (like for example hosting review websites and forums who promote EIG brands) - then professional participants will never whitelist this publisher in their adblocker. Just not to see this (#*(*#. Even if there are good things promoted occasionally. One ad of untrusted supplier - and this is is all. Advertising revenue will decrease in a long run.

Returning to NamePros, they should have internal stats how many ads are blocked. So - sticky threads, affiliate links which are not yet recognized by adblockers as such (www. some registrar. com / np / ) - without typical utm-source and aff-id and similar techniques may help. Based on what other forums are doing, clear requests to use this particular link to access some registrar promotion may also be helpful. And also adopting the rules to allow other types of promotions to paying advertisers, such as extra space in signature etc.

Last edited:
•••
A big problem. With a constant war between adblockers and advertisers there would be no winner. Nowadays, it actually depends on a website. If somebody sells ad space to bad actors (like for example hosting review websites and forums who promote EIG brands) - then professional participants will never whitelist this publisher in their adblocker. Just not to see this (#*(*#. Even if there are good things promoted occasionally. One ad of untrusted supplier - and it is all. Advertising revenue will decrease in a long run.

Returning to NamePros, they should have internal stats how many ads are blocked. So - sticky threads, affiliate links which are not yet recognized by adblockers as such (www. some registrar. com / np / ) - without typical utm-source and aff-id and similar techniques may help. Based on what other forums are doing, clear requests to use this particular link to access some registrar promotion may also be helpful. And also adopting the rules to allow other types of promotions to paying advertisers, such as extra space in signature etc.

I would think that the standard ad sizes
should be avoided

the domain for the ad servers
and related IP addresses
could be changed frequently

•••
Ad blockers
We have tools that tell us how many visitors are using ad blockers. It's surprisingly less than we expected (and less than has been proposed in this thread), but it may be higher than less-technical communities.

Our request to you
With that in mind, if you want to support NamePros, please add an exception to your adblocker so that you can see our sponsors.

NamePros has high standards for ads: the ads cannot be poorly designed, they cannot be animated (so they don't distract you when you're reading), they blend in nicely with the content, and we hope they will provide you with valuable tools and opportunities that you may not know about.

We're confident that the advertisers on NamePros are taking things seriously, or they wouldn't pay us to let you know about them. Sometimes, it can be very beneficial to know about a new service or a new opportunity before everyone else, and many new services in the domain industry get the word out on NamePros first.

Please let us try to bring you value, and at the same time, you'd be helping us pay some bills. :)

•••
I've always hated ads. Have a feeling I'm not alone on this. In fact, when I see an ad, I make a conscious decision to avoid business with the advertiser. Why? Well, you are taking up screen space, television or radio or newspaper space and space that I don't want to look at, hear or read. These companies say ad revenue make up the bulk of their income, not their subscriber base. How crappy is that? We have fed the Google machine, have't we?

I would love to see revenue methods changed to something that is authentic and real, such as the trail-blazing examples set by the interactions here on NP by folks who are running real businesses, and manage to make connections between their business motto and personal philosophies.

How about, "It's NOT just business"?

•••
I've always hated ads. Have a feeling I'm not alone on this. In fact, when I see an ad, I make a conscious decision to avoid business with the advertiser. Why? Well, you are taking up screen space, television or radio or newspaper space and space that I don't want to look at, hear or read. These companies say ad revenue make up the bulk of their income, not their subscriber base. How crappy is that? We have fed the Google machine, have't we?

I would love to see revenue methods changed to something that is authentic and real, such as the trail-blazing examples set by the interactions here on NP by folks who are running real businesses, and manage to make connections between their business motto and personal philosophies.

How about, "It's NOT just business"?

really?

you as a domainer are in the advertising business
as a domain serves as the best advertising space on the planet

how can you be against ads?
are you parking your domains?

you earn from ads.

are you an affiliate?
do you use adsense?

you earn from ads

do you use google?
you profit from ads

do you buy from amazon?
you profit from ads

you do not want to see them
but profit from others seeing them

the solution for you is:
become banner blind

Last edited:
•••
If you want to support NamePros without too many ads, upgrade your accounts to whatever color you can afford ... blue or gold. Mods and management, servers, tech staff, DD, Yoda, Dog and Rabbit 404 need help with bills and a brand new socks. So start today not tomorrow. (y)

(Don't tell me you can't afford. Tell me "I will do my best". Those of you who can afford to burn $ on a fictional, flying circus domains, better give $5 to NP ... and keep learning ... )

Last edited:
•••
I can't believe I'm agreeing with @frank-germany again .. lol .. but everything he said is true .. PLUS .. many potential end-users who want to buy our domains specifically place a value on the revenues they can obtain from the site. Granted in some cases they sell their own product .. but often they are services or content sponsored/supported by advertising.

In the end even if end users who buy our domains don't have ads on their own websites, they still suffer because of their handicapped ability to advertise else where.

That being said .. I'm also fine with what I think @HotKey is trying to say in that we should be allowed to pay for content as an option instead of being inundated with ads.

If you want to support NamePros without too many ads, upgrade your accounts to whatever color you can afford ... blue or gold.

Ummm .. that's what I would have though .. but I have a Gold Account and pay $120 a year .. yet I still have SEVEN ads on this page? (thankfully not TWELVE .. lol) Is that the way it's intended?

I actually don't mind the topmost one so much as that's dead space anyways .. but I find the one above the thread title and the one between the first and second post of each page a bit much if I'm going to be completely honest.

Last edited:
•••
Yep.
you as a domainer are in the advertising business
as a domain serves as the best advertising space on the planet

how can you be against ads?
are you parking your domains?
Nope. Custom lander or 3rd party marketplaces: Direct purchases.
you earn from ads.
Neigh. Approx 400 landers, ad-free. It's called, taking control of what you own.

are you an affiliate?
do you use adsense?
Nope.
you earn from ads
Noppers.

do you use google?
you profit from ads
When I use search engines, I look at content results, not ads.

do you buy from amazon?
you profit from ads
Nope. When I use Amazon, Ebay or whatever, I use this thing called the search bar, and scroll through the results that don't have AD beside them.

you do not want to see them
but profit from others seeing them

the solution for you is:
become banner blind
Nope, all my profits are from smart people who don't click ads. They visit exactly what they are looking for. And if I miss out on better results, from not cluttering other people's screen space by PAYING to be there, well, so be it.

I continue to be amazed at how we, as a society, have so readily accepted advertisements as the norm, and not the misfit wannbes. It's all backwards. Thank god no one has figured out a way to put advertisements in my food. Take a bit of my steak, and all of a sudden I'm tasting Pringles or something.

•••
Thank god no one has figured out a way to put advertisements in my food.

You've never had Alphagetti or Alphabit cereal ??? Those are full of text based advertising! ;)

•••
When I use search engines, I look at content results, not ads.

the search engine exists only as they are able to sell ads related to the search results
if you click on the ads or not doesn't matter
you profit from the ads

otherwise, there where no search results

•••
they cannot be animated (so they don't distract you when you're reading),

Thank you -- I find animated ads extremely annoying.

the one between the first and second post of each page a bit much if I'm going to be completely honest.

I don't mind the one above the title so much but really dislike the one after the first post in a thread. It disrupts the flow of the thread.

Last edited:
•••
If you want to support NamePros without too many ads, upgrade your accounts
And, for higher amount, let it be adfree namepros ;) Will likely work better.

•••
I have a Gold Account and pay $120 a year .. yet I still have SEVEN ads on this page? (thankfully not TWELVE .. lol) Is that the way it's intended?
Yes. For a community as large as NamePros to operate without ads, it would require a much larger fee from paying members (or no free option). It's likely impossible to find an online community as big as NamePros (or bigger) without ads unless it is auxiliary to a company that is earning its money from something else, such as IGN, but even IGN's board has ads.

•••
Ummm .. that's what I would have though .. but I have a Gold Account and pay $120 a year .. yet I still have SEVEN ads on this page? Is that the way it's intended?

All of NP members should upgrade to at least blue color and we'll have 100% independent, ads free NP, more influence on our dear registries and registrars, ... and CEOs or Reps will be forced to participate and listen, hear and understand.

This Free Ride should stop asap. We're here to make $, connections, expand businesses and horizon.

Negation and scandalous threads are popular here. Anything good > we figure out > it's not good. I can even imagine how @ Joe Styler sipping morning coffee and adding a few drops of whiskey in it, shaking his head, answering answering answering answering .. and answering answering answering ... and answering ...

I'm ready to upgrade to Platinum, Meteorite, Mount Everest, Name it (double it) donation.

Regards

Last edited:
•••
In fact .. I love the irony that you guys missed @Tia Wood's earlier posts that were subsequently removed .. likely for breaking the rules! Good on you Tia .. for showing these guys the true meaning of equality! ;)

I'm glad at least someone figured out what I was doing. ;) Though mine was blatant advertising and sarcasm and SHOULD have been removed.

The point is that everyone here has businesses and commerce dealings and videos and things to sell and we're freakin domainers, so of course we'd like to sell to each other and spin content in our favor in every thread imaginable but...we don't.

We contribute to the discussion, we promote in the appropriate places and we expect to get slapped if we don't. This isn't a poke at mods. Mods do their jobs.

But our forum is being taken advantage of by the creative spin of constant promotional content via Epik craftily staying in the grey area.

tFKeOQ2.png

•••
I'm glad at least someone figured out what I was doing. ;) Though mine was blatant advertising and sarcasm and SHOULD have been removed.

You made a great point, Tia. If everyone blatantly promoted their products, this forum would be nothing more than a giant Classifieds section.

•••

The point is that everyone here has businesses and commerce dealings and videos and things to sell and we're freakin domainers, so of course we'd like to sell to each other and spin content in our favor in every thread imaginable but...we don't.

We contribute to the discussion, we promote in the appropriate places and we expect to get slapped if we don't. This isn't a poke at mods. Mods do their jobs.

But our forum is being taken advantage of by the creative spin of constant promotional content via Epik craftily staying in the grey area.

tFKeOQ2.png

claiming to be guilty of not recognizing irony

•••
we'll have 100% independent, ads free NP, more influence on our dear registries and registrars
Wow... I just imagined it. A forum without unlimited stream of forsale domains (some of which even a newbie would never handregister). A forum where escrow .com will need to respond to legitimate complaints instead of routinely acquiring new customers as the result of their ads (and failuring to respond to their natural subsequent complaints later). A forum without current selection of badgets which sometimes means little or nothing /common sense I mean, yeah they are well explained in the rules, but still - is a member without VIP status a second class citizen? Or, is he absolutely not a PRO without a PRO badget? It is not easy to figure out the meaning now/. It is something I'd be ready to pay for. But, it would be different forum. Sixth sense prompts that it would not happen : - (

Last edited:
•••
I really do not like Samer and Dan advocating him. Or the way they like dislike comments.This actually dilutes the credibility Rob has earned for himself.

My two cents. Peace.

First, i see you made account and joined March 30, 2019 Welcome to NP! i dont believe we’ve met.

With regards post about me and @DanSanchez whom i have great respect for.., and want him to have chance to defend himself. Convenient, forgot @ both of us..!!!

trust is earned, my friend. Rob's open to any and all... hiring btw! Guarantee, if hired, have greater definetly not @DanSanchez, great guy, too. (Congrats kid, again!!)

I wish you success moving forward. I can't speak for @Rob Monster, but unlike u, I don't hide behind shot posts, without giving others chance to defend, my friend.

Lastly, thanks @Mod Team Bravo, for friendly reminder.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
PS .. All that said .. I do miss @Kate but only because she's a domainersaurus .. the fact she's a female domainersaurus isn't really an issue.

I've seen some people mention Kate, these same people are advocating for the type of content that drove her away (my guess) but based on some of the last discussions she was involved in. I think she's one of the smarter people to post here, usually very calm even when some tried to get at her but she was clearly getting upset with some of the stuff that was going on here.

You can simply read the threads:

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Free Speech

"PS: I was going to try to end on a conciliatory note but some people here are desensitized and disgusting. Maybe I should take a break from domaining."

"In this very thread, on this very page, promotion continues, it's already business as usual and contrition is in short supply. This is insensitive and out of touch."

Brought that Gab crap here, even posting over on that forum, directing Gab members to come here. Mods had to ban a couple of them.

Then constant promotion.

Also, the one thread never getting handled. What was supposed to be a review thread in the review section, turned into something else. Mods should have handled that.

When a forum gets spammed up or trashed up, people will go elsewhere or participate less.

Last edited:
•••
Sixth sense prompts that it would not happen : - (

Seventh sense - when you post something here, it's indexed in Google in less than 30 seconds, Page 1, R 5/6 - your post; Wow... I just imagined it. A forum without unlimited stream (link).

(Escrow likes everything 3L com, & you know what I'm talking about)

Last edited:
•••
Seventh sense - when you post something here, it's indexed in Google in less than 30 seconds, Page 1, R 5 - your post;
You mean the forum should not be indexed?

•••
You mean the forum should not be indexed?

Should be indexed. The power of being visible @ Google in 30 sec is unbelievable and if you list your domain name here for a higher price else less ...

•••
Practicing commerce demands a certain type of person, I see NP as a majority commerce driven community. There is a deep appreciation for work and the results that it yields. Most people here see the value in the content instead of the possible mention of a product we are creating to solve that specific problem.

The three rotten tomatoes are the exception.

This thread is a huge productivity black hole that syphons away your days with pointless grandstanding in defense of the forum. The mods are doing a great job, the ignore feature works great, and the world is open to countless opportunities.

I really do not like Samer and Dan advocating him. Or the way they like dislike comments.This actually dilutes the credibility Rob has earned for himself.

There is no advocacy here, read my comments again. Entirely neutral and describing my personal distaste for people who practice cultural marxism in the pursuit for a certain type of deplatforming. This thread was created with the whole purpose of deplatforming and shaming Epik/Rob further. It clearly has had the opposite effect for the very reason that most people on NP prefer commerce and competition over protectionism and monopolies.

Here is my previous comment on this thread... it continues to be relevant.

Johnn, I won't judge you for your lack of perspective in this comment. But promoting one's efforts to improve people's lives is exactly what a company does, in essence. Creating, arranging, and deploying collection of processes, tools, and products to help others is the highest honor any individual can undertake.

The rest of your commentary includes ad-hominem fallacies and a deep desire to confine one's free speech to a degree that suits your own narrow perspective. There is nothing less appealing to me personally than someone trying to limit mine or someone else's speech for any categorical reason.

You dislike change, competition, and options. It's best you move out the way here. The issue of advertising has been addressed to the satisfaction of most of the people (including the mods) participating in the productive conversations. It is self evident by the number of people countering your arguments with reason and evidence.

After visiting your own site, I remembered one quote by a favorite author:
“Slavery, protection, and monopoly find defenders, not only in those who profit by them, but in those who suffer by them.” ― Frédéric Bastiat

Focus on yourself, Johnn. You have a lot of work to do.

My final commentary on this whole subject, I refuse to let these gents detract from my daily efforts. I read around 30,000 domains from the drop daily, I buy and sell my personal domains (sold one Friday, two yesterday, hopefully one today), I help our team implement feedback into the several platforms we are building, and I try to help as many individuals as I can to make more sales with brokerage and advise. Does that benefit monetarily? Absolutely! It is my highest pursuit to provide for my family.

The difference between myself and the three anti-business gents is that I pursue everything by providing value first. They prefer to detract, rob, and distract from as many people as possible so that Epik doesn't move forward because they don't agree with Rob's communications. Show me another CEO who has this much forward momentum in any area of this industry today? Perhaps it scares them.

The hot air from these types of threads is wind to our sails, gentlemen. Keep up the good work.

My personal suggestion for anyone that disagrees with another individual is to hit the IGNORE button. Very effective at curating your experience here. You are not entitled to the Mod's time when you have an unpaid account. Nobody is forcing you to read any threads, there is no reward if you personally dislike the person. Be an individual, exempt yourself and stop trying to change others by reporting, force, or societal pressure. Cheers!

•••
There is no advocacy here, read my comments again. Entirely neutral and describing my personal distaste for people who practice cultural marxism in the pursuit for a certain type of deplatforming.

Future Epik VP. This is the type of bs that just doesn't help you. The Marxist nonsense again. You guys just don't get it.

Rob should just rehire the guy that quit, too many Yes men/brown nosers right now. You need some people in your company who will be honest with you.

Last edited:
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back