Domain Empire

advice Help

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

lasure

Established Member
Impact
Did anyone involved in this thread ever get hold of Dongjin Kim?

He's squatting on over 1500 domains, and for the last year I have endlessly tried everything I can think of to contact him (short of getting on a plane to Korea) to buy one domain he has done NOTHING with for over 5 years.

I can't understand the logic. The point of squatting is to have people buy the domains for a far greater price which I'm willing to pay, but I can't raise any for of response.

I've even tried registering an official complaint with his domain provider but they state they can't do anything as he pays his renewal fees each year.

Did anyone get hold of him? If so, please can you help me? I just want to pay this guy for a single domain.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At this point, you might just quote the name and how much you have offered. Let's see if you're really being generous or simply delusional.

I am an end user too.
From time to time, I contact people with a view to buying their domain names. Either to develop them or to resell them. I know the frustration.
Some people think that because somebody is interested in a domain name they own, they hit the jackpot and an Arab prince will pay them 7 figures so they will be able to retire. It's true, many domain owners have unrealistic expectations. Also, I found out that some people just don't need money.

On the occasion, we have received decent offers on domain names we own, and yet we declined to sell simply because it wouldn't make a real difference to our bottom line.

The truth is, in this world almost everything is for sale. But sometimes, you have to offer more than a fair price. You have to offer a life-changing sum.

In my neighborhood there are unoccupied homes that I could use. I wish I could just settle in, because I will be a better owner who is going to take good care of the property. It doesn't work like this.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yeah, people should just buy houses and leave them empty. Or tinned food and bottled water just stockpile it forever.

You honestly don't know the difference between a digital asset and a can of beans?

•••
Actually, my personal opinion is that you should't be able to indefinitely sit on exclusively owned intellectual property, especially given that there's a finite number of domains.
Hi,
I have read the whole thread and I'm shocked that you're accusing this guy of squatting on 1,500+ domains.I don't believe you, because all this domains would have to be TM's which he is violating according to your statement. We are living in the 21st century and you can't find this guy?
I assume you would like to get a domain in .com extension. You better find him or settle with an alternative domain extension.
As of my advice you should not call people names if you don't know them!

Good luck with your domain-man hunt!

•••
Actually, my personal opinion is that you should't be able to indefinitely sit on exclusively owned intellectual property, especially given that there's a finite number of domains.

But that is just your personal opinion. Unfortunately, for you, the real world doesn't work like that. That guy is perfectly entitled to do whatever he wants to do with HIS domains. You also ruffled quite a few feathers here by calling us squatters. It's not surprising there appear to be a lot of angry posts from you (and I haven't got to the end of the thread yet), because some of the members have pushed back, seriously or humorously.

I'm pretty sure that I've encountered this guy too from the lack of responses you are complaining about here. After the second email. I usually give up and look for another domain. Which would be my advice to you.

There are millions upon millions of other domains you could buy apart from this one. And even more, unregistered. Pray tell, why is it you MUST have THIS particular domain. You might even be able to register a similar domain with a smart index or suffix. We don't know the domain. But the prefix THE and the suffix CO comes to mind. But of course it depends on the domain. Maybe the .NET or .CO are available to register. I don't see why you have been bearing this grudge for 5 years (If I understood you correctly). It's about time you move on with your life, and get an alternative domain. Good SEO will still probably take you to the top of the search rankings. I think that would be a much better use of your time, with another domain.

Maybe your $2000 offer is way to low for him to be interested. If it was me, I wouldn't get excited about a $2K offer on some of my domains. It's small potatoes in today's world. We don't know the domain, so we cannot advise you. Maybe if you offered $50,000 (take your pick on the price). You might get a response. But I would use a completely different email address than the one you have been using with a different name also.

Maybe the guy is waiting for one of the big fish, like GoDaddy to buy his complete portfolio for millions of dollars. Perhaps he is reclusive BECAUSE he has had UDRP cases in the past. We can only speculate, why he hasn't responded.

Perhaps he's making a sh*t load of money from the domain from parking it with all the leads your business is sending to the domain? We don't know. As I said. We can only speculate.

He might be, as you say, "Crazy to be sitting on 1500 domains". It's a free world. Fortunately.

Last edited:
•••
Secondly, I think the reason you (and several others) got their knickers in a twist becuase you read the thread title and went off the hadle.

I’m Off The Handle.

And I don’t see why you joined this forum to act arrogant and entitled. This is a civil forum of many good people. I don’t care if you are the CEO of Nabisco with $1 million to spend, it is irrelevant who you are or think you are in your myopic small world. Some of us even collect names “just because”.

I would quadruple the price if you contacted me in your ill mannered way, “just because” of your attitude to get rid of you. And it wouldn’t be the first time either.

You come into this forum with a sense of misplaced ego and self importance, and it is too bad anyone above attempted to help or has responded in good faith. You don’t deserve the benefit of a response. Especially if @equity78 or @stub both who genuinely help others all the time and participate here, give you a dislike on your post. That is really pretty rare.

“Who you are” is self evident. You are the type who would probably stiff someone on a measily $100 Finders fee too like you mentioned above.

•••
I was going to respond but then I realized your sentence make no sense, then saw your avatar and realized it must be a joke account.

You're certainly making a lot of friends who are eager to help.

•••
You’re an angry dude. Life isn’t fair, sometimes you just can’t get the name you want, deal with it.
If you think you know his purpose for holding these domains (to get money) than obviously, your offer isnt high enough to grab his attention.

•••
I know how to contact him but I'm not going to tell you.

•••
Here is the last line from my first post:

"Did anyone get hold of him? If so, please can you help me? I just want to pay this guy for a single domain."

Again, I did not create this thread. It has been going for years before I stumbled acorss it with the same questions, with people also asking if they were able to get hold of this guy who never responds etc.

Some people did offer suggestions of help, but others tried to lecture me about the freedoms of digital asset ownership which is just pointless given the question.
"I just want to pay this guy for a single domain."

If it's not listed for sale anywhere how do you know he wants to sell it?
It's his name and might not want to sell therefore he owes you no answer.
(Maybe why no response) :xf.wink:

•••
... suggesting that I blanket called everyone squatters. I didn't, I called this guy a squatter becuase that's exactly what he is.
So please don't post utter BS like I "ruffled feathers by calling you squatters", because I didn't.

so please clarify
squatter or not ?
guilty or not?
just annoying or criminal?

I want your car
give it to me
I offer you $100 USD
its parked all the time
I will drive 100000 miles / year
give it to me

This guy is also sitting on 1500+ domains and never responds to anyone, but you'd know that if you actually read the thread.

so why is that your business?
he has every right to do so
personally I hope he continues to do so.

The reason I wanted this name in particular is that A) it's adjacent to both my current companies in name and B) nothing is being done with it and C) why not try to buy a domain that someone isn't using and hasn;t ever had a site associated with it or even been used as a holding page.

so what?
I want my neighbours wife
he isn't using her anyway

Instead, I got a bunch of people flying off the handle for no good reason other than they have poor reading and comprehension skills. .

you are "prince charming"

•••
Reading this thread be like..

jRL640w_700wa_0.gif

Dongjin Kim (owner of the domain) be like

Wwlr8lR_700wa_0.gif

All of us be like...

oMJmG5w_700wa_0.gif

OP be like...

BdeN7lw_700wa_0.gif

•••
There's no "anger", it just seems os pointless. This isn't my first rodeo. I've bought domains direct before and through brokers.

it's clear this guy is a weird one though and again, go to page one of this thread - I didn't start itnor continue it for 5 years with the same complaints.

just trying to figure out of one of the other people in this thread ever actually got hold of him and if so, how?

It's not too difficult to comprehend.

He doesn't list any of his 1500+ domains for sale and as far as I can tell after a lot of research he doesn't seem to have sold a single domain. I can only see court filings and ICANN documents showing disputes.
Just as i said, you cant always get the name you want. It sucks, but maybe he doesn’t even want to sell them. In your case, he is not squatting and is %100 right and protected by the law. Money talks

•••
The truth is, in this world almost everything is for sale. But sometimes, you have to offer more than a fair price. You have to offer a life-changing sum.

This was very nicely said, and this is the only possible key to potential success of @lasure in this matter. Best approach here (after tons of mistakes made by OP) is to write nice, respectful, polite and humble (it is not a crime to be humble btw, or at least to pretend it) email and give your best financial offer. Not something you think is "fair" and what you think should be enough for him, but something what will catch the attention of rightful domain owner while you can still afford it, and it still makes a business sense for you. I also suggest to write email yourself, clearly ideantifying who you are, introducing your business, etc. It is also extremely helpful to speak about why you like the domain name, how this can help you - this can establish sort of personal connection.

If rightful domain owner does not reply to your nice, respectful, polite and humble email with your high financial offer then do not keep to chase him with another emails/conversation/phone calls/letters, etc. It is his full legal right to ignore you and your wishes, while (in EU and USA, I am not sure about other jurisdictions) your rights to contact him repeadly and above some intensity, or publicly mention him or refer to him particularly in non favourable ways, or ask other people to get in touch with him, while requiring some sort of interaction from him just because you want some name he owns, are pretty non-existent (very softly said).

It is important to realize that "no reply" is also a reply if there is a reason to believe your messages were delivered, and it is one of the strongest replies human being can give, and it must be respected. Look, I also want lot of things because I think thay would benefit me and I can not simply get some of them - when I was small baby I am told that I was pretty angry, shouting, crying, rolling on carpet when things were not according my wishes - but I am older now. so all what I can do is to roll my eyes in those situations, and maybe curse a little (silently in my mind and only once), and then move on.
Good luck, but keep things right.

•••
•••
Fortunately, we all live in free countries and have every right to laugh on this your opinion. While you have every right to still have this opinion.

•••
Here is the last line from my first post:

"Did anyone get hold of him? If so, please can you help me? I just want to pay this guy for a single domain."

Again, I did not create this thread. It has bene going for years, with people also asking if they were able to get hold of this guy who never responds.

Some people did offer suggestions of help, but others tried to lecture about the freedoms of digital asset ownership.

1) Called him a squatter. You claim to be an experience domain buyer but don't know the diff between squatting and investing.

2) You claimed he's lost a UDRP.

3) Have read court records b/c he's been sued.

And you still can't find him. I think you're full of shit.

•••
Ok. There no educating idiots. I'm thin skinned. I don't need to be abused when I was trying to genuinely help.

•••
Okay let me get in this.....O_o
I think maybe you ruffled some feathers here on NP by calling a possible colleague of ours a squatter.
Your approach on NamePros should of been more as in "Help Me, I'm willing to pay a % if you can help me acquire a domain I'm really interested in buying".

But, my question to you sir is, If you are "SO INTERESTED IN THAT DOMAIN" why not hire a domain name broker?
Obviously you have failed to obtain the domain via "doing it yourself".
A domain name broker will know how to speak to the domainer in a manner that may not annoy him.
A domain name broker is like a real estate agent. He or she can contact the domainer and maybe find out his reason for not contacting you back or maybe find out his true selling price.

Maybe your offer was to low.
I bet if you offered him a cool million, he will get back to you. :xf.wink:

Regards,
SuperSquatter:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
Did anyone involved in this thread ever get hold of Dongjin Kim?

He's squatting on over 1500 domains, and for the last year I have endlessly tried everything I can think of to contact him (short of getting on a plane to Korea) to buy one domain he has done NOTHING with for over 5 years.

I can't understand the logic. The point of squatting is to have people buy the domains for a far greater price which I'm willing to pay, but I can't raise any for of response.

I've even tried registering an official complaint with his domain provider but they state they can't do anything as he pays his renewal fees each year.

Did anyone get hold of him? If so, please can you help me? I just want to pay this guy for a single domain.

Squatting... maybe he thinks you're an ass and doesn't want to be bothered.

Last edited:
•••
•••
What's the point of sitting on 1500 domain names that you never do anything with? In fact over 90% of his domains have never even had a holding page applied to it.

What's the point of sitting on $1500 USD that you never do anything with? In fact for over 90% of your dollars you have never even had a proper use in mind when you acquired them.

•••
You should start over, drop the assumptions about how we do business and provide some real information that could be used to help. If that's what you want.

•••
Yeah, given your first and plainly facetious response after what was a perfectly reasonable question (and if you'd bothered to read the actual thread your posting in which is 5+ years old with multiple people complaining about exactly the same thing) you might realize I don't really want to roast smores by a campfire with you, I just wanted to ask the community if they've gotten hold of this guy.

It's that old thing, if you don't have anything positive to add, might be an idea to keep quiet.

OK. Good luck.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back