Dynadot

discuss Help Set My Expectations As A New Seller

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
So, it has taken me a little over a month to re-establish and list a portfolio of about 60 names (starting with about 7).

My questions are:
1. What are indicators that some of my domains just might have potential?

Sales, obviously but what about inquiries?

What if 3 months go by and there isnt even an inquiry or, at least, lowball offer. Is this normal, bad?

2: For those of you with sales, is it years of absolutely no activity on Domain.Ext and then you wake up to an email that it has sold?

Just really want to understand what to expect and if it's crickets, then do all my domains stink? Lol

Please share what I can expect with a portfolio of roughly 60+ names of varying 'quality', mainly purchased from Drops. Closeouts, and a couple auction BINs.

Thank you!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anyone willing to help me understand what to expect?

I know sell through rates can be only 1-2% per year, so I am not expecting a ton of sales or anything!

Just want to know if, when you started, you had domains getting inquiries, low ball offers or anything like that?

Also, did you notice any type of uptick in in inquiries or offers once your domains went live with Afternic Fast Transfer?

Thank you!

•••
You joined 15 years ago and are you a new seller?

>1. What are indicators that some of my domains just might have potential?

Traffic. If a domain receives some traffic it has some potential.

> Sales, obviously but what about inquiries?

I set BIN price for all domains. Mine is "Take it or leave it" approach. No bargain, no room for negotiations on the price.. Only BIN. Life is short. Don't waste it with endless bargains on the price. Of course I answer questions.

>2: For those of you with sales, is it years of absolutely no activity on Domain.Ext and then you wake up to an email that it has sold?

yes, most of the time.

•••
You joined 15 years ago and are you a new seller?

>1. What are indicators that some of my domains just might have potential?

Traffic. If a domain receives some traffic it has some potential.

> Sales, obviously but what about inquiries?

I set BIN price for all domains. Mine is "Take it or leave it" approach. No bargain, no room for negotiations on the price.. Only BIN. Life is short. Don't waste it with endless bargains on the price. Of course I answer questions.

>2: For those of you with sales, is it years of absolutely no activity on Domain.Ext and then you wake up to an email that it has sold?

yes, most of the time.
Thank you so much for responding!

Yes. I consider myself a new domainer. I have been away from domaining for about 8-9 years.

When I was involved back then I built a portfolio of about 20 or 30 names. I put them on Sedo and then did nothing after that.

Coming back, I realize the landscape has changed. Over the past 7 weeks, I,ve built a portfolio of about 75 names of varying 'quality'.

Som I think are very good, some not so much.

But I am looking for any indication if my domains have potential.

I only have BINs on my Afternic listings, but all my names are now on Sedo, Afternic, DAN, Epik, Domain Agents and I am adding these to Daaz next.

Just wanted to know what to expect.

I do not have 'traffic names' so that would not be an indicator I can use.

•••
Potential buyers may visit your domain. That's the traffic I talk about. Most undeveloped domains don't receive good traffic to become "traffic names"

Other indicators:
Sedo control panel shows number of page views on the sales page
GD appraisal
Domain age. It's a strong indicator for me.
Search volume
CPC
Number of search results when you search the word(s) in domain. It would give an idea on popularity., should be considered together with other indicators.
Past sales of similar domains: It's not a very reliable indicator in my opinion. I take this indicator into consideration with caution.
Number of price inquires, offers, questions: Those are not only weak but also misleading indicators in my opinion.

•••
I put them on Sedo and then did nothing after that.

That is the correct way. You should did nothing but waiting patiently. You may update/review prices for once or twice a year depending on market and other external conditions such as general trend in macro economy. Don't update prices for internal reasons like your personal need for cash, family reasons, etc.

•••
That is the correct way. You should did nothing but waiting patiently. You may update/review prices for once or twice a year depending on market and other external conditions such as general trend in macro economy. Don't update prices for internal reasons like your personal need for cash, family reasons, etc.
Thanks poweredbyme,

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean. I ONLY had my names on Sedo.

I mean, now I have them on Afternic (thus, propagated through their registrar network), Sedo, DAN, Epik, DomainAgents.

Now I am working on Daaz and wherever else I can find.

Isn't it better to list EVERYWHERE?

•••
Potential buyers may visit your domain. That's the traffic I talk about. Most undeveloped domains don't receive good traffic to become "traffic names"

Other indicators:
Sedo control panel shows number of page views on the sales page
GD appraisal
Domain age. It's a strong indicator for me.
Search volume
CPC
Number of search results when you search the word(s) in domain. It would give an idea on popularity., should be considered together with other indicators.
Past sales of similar domains: It's not a very reliable indicator in my opinion. I take this indicator into consideration with caution.
Number of price inquires, offers, questions: Those are not only weak but also misleading indicators in my opinion.
This is exactly the type of information I was looking for!

Yes, I do have a few names in Sedo My Domains dashboard that seem to have decent visits, like 2-300 per month, but because I am using Sales Landers, I assumed these were just Bots.

Thanks!

•••
I mean "doing nothing" except reviewing prices once/twice a year is not incorrect. What you did was correct. The problem was likely related to domain quality or pricing.

If you list everywhere for more exposure, it's not worth. If you activate Sedo MLS or Afternic fast transfer you actually list almost everywhere, then the extra exposure would be negligible.

However if other places offer something that Sedo and Afternic don't, such as bitcoin, payment plans, lower fees, specific audiences such as brandable domains, etc. you may list there as well, depending on your need or specific nature of your domain.

Thanks poweredbyme,

I am not 100 percent sure what you mean. I ONLY had my names on Sedo.

I mean, now I have them on Afternic (thus, propagated through their registrar network), Sedo, DAN, Epik, DomainAgents.

Now I am working on Daaz and wherever else I can find.

Isn't it better to list EVERYWHERE?

•••
This is exactly the type of information I was looking for!

Yes, I do have a few names in Sedo My Domains dashboard that seem to have decent visits, like 2-300 per month, but because I am using Sales Landers, I assumed these were just Bots.

Thanks!

Those are likely bots if you use their landers or park. You are again correct. What you know and do are correct. You likely fail in domain quality and/or pricing.

•••
Those are likely bots if you use their landers or park. You are again correct. What you know and do are correct. You likely fail in domain quality and/or pricing.
Thanks again poweredbyme,

I very well MAY have mispriced my domains OR overestimated their quality. I have been thinking about this a lot. I believe of my roughly 75 domains, probably 5 or 6 are excellent. Maybe another 10 pretty good. 10 decent. The rest, who knows. I am hoping to get some indication of something to determine if the domains I own are good.

I forgot to mention above I now also have my first domain on Squadhelp and I am still awaiting Brandbucket to evaluate my first 5 submissions.

These brandable marketplaces didnt even exist back then and provide exposure to a totally different audience.

Last edited:
•••
You should review prices regularly. That is basically the only one selling work you should do in regular basis.
However it's not easy. I don't recommend lowering prices in general. Setting prices a little high is not always incorrect. If you don't ask for more you can never receive something substantial.

When you review prices you should update only upward unless price/quality comparison makes no longer sense to you. Also make sure your price updates are not tiny. Tiny and frequent price updates would make sellers unprofessional in the eyes of watchers. Again, don't be afraid of setting prices a little higher. You can always lower later. Also too low prices may relate to too low quality for some buyers. Hence going too low in price can slow down sales, especially for the domains that their quality is highly dependent on who wants to buy.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back