IT.COM

.co First Significant Sale as a Domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I bought my first domain 19 years ago this week and grew it into a massive 30k member Club Music / DJ community. Long since then I bought other domains with intention of developing but never had the time. A few months ago I decided to make the jump to domaining and have since started to build up a nice little portfolio (now over 1000 names). I have made a couple of trivial sales liquidating some of my older domains I realised I'll never have time to develop ... but ...

A couple of weeks ago I sold my first domain that I purchased as a domainer. I've been a very bad domainer in that I haven't put my domains up at all the marketplaces yet (please criticise me for that .. lol) .. but one day out the blue I got an email from @DomainAgents informing me they have a client interested in one of my 2 word (single term) .co domains. After registering on their system I found what I considered to be a low-ball offer of $250 ... which I counter with an equally ridiculous $5000.

The buyer countered 12 hours later with a more reasonable $900. I re-countered at $2500. Then a few hours later I go a very low $x,xxx counter indicating that was the buyer's max budget. I looked over at my ever-growing spreadsheet of domain data and saw that I had coincidentally actually pencil valued the domain at the exact same price as the offer. So considering this was my first "domainer" sale and that I was getting exactly what I had already set as "fair value", I said yes to the transaction which moved over to Escrow.com.

After that the process was rather quick. There were one or two things I found unlear/unexact in the instructions at Escrow, but in the end an agent at DA cc'ed a group email conversion between myself, the buyer and an agent at Escrow.com and from the process moved along fairly quickly and I have to admit to being very satisfied with the entire experience.

Most of the domains in my portfolio IMO are MUCH stronger than the one in question so the sale gives me a lot of hope and confidence moving forward! :)

The buyer never mentioned or asked for an NDA, but out of respect to him I'll add all the specifics of the domain in a separate post below just in case he ever asks for the domain and/or dollar amounts to be deleted.

COOL COINCIDENCE: Turns out this is my 500th post here at NamePros! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Added information:

The domain in question was BookWorm.co .. which I bought on auction last year for around $50 as a godaddy expiring auction. Oddly enough since then I've gotten what I consider to be better domains at better value and likely never would have paid $50 for the same domain today! Makes things confusing for future purchases .. lol.

I did a little digging on the the buyer in question and found he was affiliated with a company with an online presence as well as a small eCommerce site.

At the end of the day I'm happy with the sale and transaction! :)

•••
Congrats! effective negotiations produced great results, well done

Thank you for sharing

•••
Congrats. Very good sale. All the best :)

•••
Congrats on getting your first domainer sale!
I've been a very bad domainer in that I haven't put my domains up at all the marketplaces yet (please criticise me for that .. lol)
You're missing out on leads if you don't list with certain marketplaces (and forward your domains to a for sale landing page - either at one of the marketplaces or to your own landing pages).

•••
•••
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your thought process and story : smile :

•••
Congrats! I am very much looking forward to my first $X,XXX sale :) cheers

•••
•••
Congratulations on your sale. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience

•••
•••
I had much the same experience with domain agents. It seems they are pro-active in hunting down names.
I keep meaning to send them a list of my names in case they have some interested clients. :)

•••
Congrats! Very nice name too!

•••
Nice money for a .co

www.BookWorm.com is owned by and resolves to Amazon

Given that circumstance I think you might have sold a bit low.

•••
•••
Nice to get an unexpected email like that. Well done on the outcome.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back