IT.COM

advice Help me with negotiating domain sale!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Magical123

Impact
Hello,

I own a domain name and potential buyer reached out. Well domain broker reached out to me with an offer.

I responded back that "if I were to sell the name I would be looking for substantially more"

Broker responded back asking if "I can indicate a level that would motivate a sale on my end?" He would like to put a BIN level in-front of the buyer.

Domain name is unique, memorable, brief, easy to remember, user friendly etc. I know that it's a "catchy" name.

I responded back saying we’re just not even in the same neighborhood and wished him good luck.

I’m thinking the broker will come back with another offer. Any advice on how I should respond back? Should I name a price?

What’s your experience has been with a domain broker from a reputable company reaching out to you?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First of all, stay away from him if he is asking for an appraisal.
Second, if this whole is legit, just give him a price you are satisfied with. Of course, if you want to sell the domain.

•••
Always send an offer if they ask, saying "we are not even in the same neighbourhood" is a good way to scare off the buyer.

Let them know your ballpark and then if it scares them off, at least they kow what range you were after.

If they offered say 2K, different neighbourhood may mean 10K to you, but $150k to them, you get the idea.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Why does the broker ask you for a quote?
If it's a Premuim domain name, this will be a buyer's offer to see if it matches your expectations

•••
Why does the broker ask you for a quote?
If it's a Premuim domain name, this will be a buyer's offer to see if it matches your expectations

This is what a broker does, he approaches you with an offer from the buyer and you negotiate from there, hes asking the owner to give him a price he'd sell the name for. I doubt its a premium domain name (just a feeling though I could be wrong:xf.wink:)

Last edited:
•••
altogether ,good luck
  • If there's anything I can do to help, let me know

•••
The first thing I would say is Beware of Domain sale scams, I usually receive a lot of emails from scammers where they would claim that they are brokers from a reputed company and one of the multimillion company is planning to buy it, they also claim that they are certified buyers from Sedo or GoDaddy and provided full proof of funds. (will soon write a detailed post on this) If you received any such kind of mail then straight away reject it, but if you feel he is a genuine broker, then my suggestion is to ask their maximum budget or wait for them to quote a price and see if it matches your price mark, then you can think of it.
upload_2020-12-29_15-44-20.png

upload_2020-12-29_15-44-33.png

Best of Luck :)

•••
Do you need cash?
if not, then you can play the long game on your best domains.

if you need cash, that's another story,
then you have to consider what is a price you will be happy with, and submit it to the broker.

there are hundreths stories of big sales that started with a 500$ or less offer

try to figure out, who is asking for this domain. students don't ask for broker help

all the best
Hal

•••
Is it your favorite name just price it but you need to take control from start. Forget this one but do as they ask price it in your favor and wait for the reaction then ask for an offer closer to asking price. Hard to teach anything in three lines.

Last edited:
•••
Always send an offer if they ask, saying "we are not even in the same neighbourhood" is a good way to scare off the buyer.

Let them know your ballpark and then if it scares them off, at least they kow what range you were after.

If they offered say 2K, different neighbourhood may mean 10K to you, but $150k to them, you get the idea.

Good luck

Actually letting them throw out the offers and not throwing a bin figure out when they are not even in the zone is a way to keep control and options open.

If the offer was lowball I would give a similar reply. Many of these are domainers trying to gage your price because they have a similar name.

Last edited:
•••
Actually letting them throw out the offers and not throwing a bin figure out when they are not even in the zone is a way to keep control and options open.

If the offer was lowball I would give a similar reply. Many of these are domainers trying to gage your price because they have a similar name.

No problem, we'll agree to dsagree :xf.smile: If an end-users gives me a $100 offer on a LLL.com, and then asks for a price, Ill send him my $80k price. It will usually scare them away anyway, which is fine by me. If they send a $20k offer and ask for a selling price, I will still send them the 80K price I want. This price will be a price I am happy to accept so I cant lose. We all have different tactics I guess. I am not too keen on the back and forth negotiations that drag on for weeks, prefer to close the deal quick if I can.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back