Dynadot

Help me choose a name for my upcoming platform

NameSilo
Watch

Which of names would you pick for such a website? (see the info first)

• 1st

SlickDot

votes
    32.3%
  • 2nd

Other (please comment)

votes
    25.8%
  • 3rd

PioneerDomains

votes
    16.1%
  • 4th (tie)

DnFlux

votes
    9.7%
  • 4th (tie)

DomainBelt

votes
    9.7%
  • 5th (tie)

LoopDomains

vote
    3.2%
  • 5th (tie)

RisingDomain

vote
    3.2%
  • 6th (tie)

Brandeia

votes
    0.0%
  • 6th (tie)

AlgoNames

votes
    0.0%
  • 6th (tie)

GrailDomains

votes
    0.0%

• 31 votes
  • Ended 2 years ago
  • Final results

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Before you vote for a name, please read:

I'm building a new website for multiple purposes. It will showcase my names and also provide discount / EOL domainer sales among other things. So it will be a domain platform on one hand.

It will also feature a lot of domaining articles. Also I will open to the world some of the tools I have currently have as private, offered via membership. So there will be a lot of things in.

My problem is that whichever name I pick doesn't seem a perfect fit. It fits one part of the thing, but not the other. The domain sales part would fit a name like Brandeia (as most of my names are now brandables), but on the other hand it might be confusing if you don't see "domain" contained in the name? Just wondering. Short is good, but descriptive is also good, so... I made this poll.

On the other hand I don't want to split this into countless websites as no way I will be able to manage all those.

This being said, got a shortlist below, what would you choose? Also please comment if needed / better suggestions. Thanks!

Note: One always needs an exterior pair of eyes as it's harder to see correctly from within

Edit: Been unsure about the right category for this post, so if mods find another place to fit better, please move thread there, thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regarding the name choice, it seems "domain" and "name" was more popular before with the likes of BuyDomains, DomainMarket (same guy started), HugeDomains, NamePros etc.

The later generation prefers "brand" or something entirely different, like BrandPa, BrandBucket, Brandroot (acquired), Alter (dead?), SquadHelp etc.

•••
Some of my names domains with "brand" in it. I am not trying to sell. Maybe, will spark an idea.

brands1.png

brand2.png

brands3.png

•••
@Recons.Com rightbrand is a superb domain name for OP's purpose.

SlickDot is so gimmicky, I really would be wary of going by votes on that one. Maybe folks just having fun. I did not like any of the names though.

Did you limit yourself to just dot-coms on your final choice? If so, looking forward to seeing what it was.

It is definitely a challenge now-a-days on a solid name for an investor's website. You really want to get it right, if only for posterity. Does not rule out for a silly or inferior name to actually make a base from, as the content should be the meat. But any serious investor knows it's the domain that sticks first and foremost because that's what we deal with.

•••
@Recons.Com rightbrand is a superb domain name for OP's purpose.

SlickDot is so gimmicky, I really would be wary of going by votes on that one. Maybe folks just having fun. I did not like any of the names though.

Did you limit yourself to just dot-coms on your final choice? If so, looking forward to seeing what it was.

It is definitely a challenge now-a-days on a solid name for an investor's website. You really want to get it right, if only for posterity. Does not rule out for a silly or inferior name to actually make a base from, as the content should be the meat. But any serious investor knows it's the domain that sticks first and foremost because that's what we deal with.

Thank you, I appreciate that! Rightbrand is already developed and is finishing the redesign/redevelopment. It is actually my company name. I personally also like BrandCounts/BrandingCounts... Might use it as the company's slogan.

•••
Just imho.
On a spot view:

dnflux - both "dn+SOMETHING" and "dnf" in domaining context are somewhat associated with Epik and their various projects. But you are not Epik...

Brandeia - or is it brandeLa? Depends on a font. I read it as brandela first. i vs l ...

LoopDomains - why "loop"? Yes, the dictionary term, but what it has to do with the website you described?

AlgoNames - algo means "something" in Spanish. Spain, South America, ~15 percent of the U.S. population will see this meaning. Good or bad? You decide...

PioneerDomains - Not good. See nic dot pioneer (.pioneer is one of new tlds, closed to public though). tm issues are possible.

GrailDomains - maybe, but what about historical Holy Grail associations?

RisingDomain - maybe. Do you like "ing" in domains?

DomainBelt - maybe. At least it is easy to remember

SlickDot - maybe. I'd also check slickdots - regged? by whom? can traffic be lost to them (or gained from them), etc, etc.

my personal preference was domainbelt - voted for it

•••
I have a .com name that might be suitable for you (as an aftermarket option on the cheaper side):

DnSphere

Short, Memorable and has a nice ring to it.

•••
Just imho.
On a spot view:

dnflux - both "dn+SOMETHING" and "dnf" in domaining context are somewhat associated with Epik and their various projects. But you are not Epik...

Brandeia - or is it brandeLa? Depends on a font. I read it as brandela first. i vs l ...

LoopDomains - why "loop"? Yes, the dictionary term, but what it has to do with the website you described?

AlgoNames - algo means "something" in Spanish. Spain, South America, ~15 percent of the U.S. population will see this meaning. Good or bad? You decide...

PioneerDomains - Not good. See nic dot pioneer (.pioneer is one of new tlds, closed to public though). tm issues are possible.

GrailDomains - maybe, but what about historical Holy Grail associations?

RisingDomain - maybe. Do you like "ing" in domains?

DomainBelt - maybe. At least it is easy to remember

SlickDot - maybe. I'd also check slickdots - regged? by whom? can traffic be lost to them (or gained from them), etc, etc.

my personal preference was domainbelt - voted for it
Thanks.

Anyway, as I already mentioned, I'm not going to use any of these names. Although certainly I could use some one of them in principle. Not going to be worse off than SquadHelp... I guess.

Last edited:
•••
I have a .com name that might be suitable for you (as an aftermarket option on the cheaper side):

DnSphere

Short, Memorable and has a nice ring to it.
DnFlux is better in my opinion. But anyway will not use any DN name. Thanks though

Edit: It's not a bad name though. Guess there are a ton of other DN options, I kept this as it's one of the shortest.

Last edited:
•••
Some of my names domains with "brand" in it. I am not trying to sell. Maybe, will spark an idea.

Show attachment 220670

Show attachment 220669

Show attachment 220668
Thanks.

The "brand" domains are a good option - but mostly for a brandable marketplace, or for a branding agency.

I'm afraid mine requires something different, that suggests domains even if it does not say "domain".

It's a particular mix that is difficult to fit to most names. And as far as I can tell right now, I hardly see a 2-word as an option anymore, unless extremely short.

Last edited:
•••
Before you vote for a name, please read:

I'm building a new website for multiple purposes. It will showcase my names and also provide discount / EOL domainer sales among other things. So it will be a domain platform on one hand.

It will also feature a lot of domaining articles. Also I will open to the world some of the tools I have currently have as private, offered via membership. So there will be a lot of things in.

My problem is that whichever name I pick doesn't seem a perfect fit. It fits one part of the thing, but not the other. The domain sales part would fit a name like Brandeia (as most of my names are now brandables), but on the other hand it might be confusing if you don't see "domain" contained in the name? Just wondering. Short is good, but descriptive is also good, so... I made this poll.

On the other hand I don't want to split this into countless websites as no way I will be able to manage all those.

This being said, got a shortlist below, what would you choose? Also please comment if needed / better suggestions. Thanks!

Note: One always needs an exterior pair of eyes as it's harder to see correctly from within

Edit: Been unsure about the right category for this post, so if mods find another place to fit better, please move thread there, thanks
UndyingIdea.com can be the good fit id covers your domain selection idea as well as the content you will publish will be undying.

•••
Thanks.

The "brand" domains are a good option - but mostly for a brandable marketplace, or for a branding agency.

I'm afraid mine requires something different, that suggests domains even if it does not say "domain".

It's a particular mix that is difficult to fit to most names. And as far as I can tell right now, I hardly see a 2-word as an option anymore, unless extremely short.

Do you mean you changed your mind drastically in last few hours?

Because of the 9 options in your poll (excluding "other"), 7 are 2-word and 1 is Acronym+Word.

•••

Because of the 9 options in your poll (excluding "other"), 7 are 2-word and 1 is Acronym+Word.
No, this post was based on what I already had at hand.

I haven't changed my mind. These were the available options, if one was great I would not have posted. Then by further digging into portfolio got other ideas and explore directions.

I have for example Namelify.com, but looking for other options as well. This one is better than those in the poll, or at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
•••
No, this post was based on what I already had at hand.

I haven't changed my mind. These were the available options, if one was great I would not have posted. Then by further digging into portfolio got other ideas and explore directions.

I have for example Namelify.com, but looking for other options as well. This one is better than those in the poll, or at least in my opinion.

My rule of thumb for a good brand is normally try to stick to one change with the creativity. Meaning, it is either word+word or word+suffix or change of a letter in a name etc. But not a combo of those, unless some rare exception.

Lyft is fantastic, liftify is very good, but lyftify? not so much.

In your case, you are adding 2 suffixes ly+ify. My recommendation is don't rush the name. It will come. Just keep looking. In the meanwhile, work on the script/project/website. Also, maybe don't limit yourself to handregs? Check the auctions and allocate budget of mid xxx for a right brand for yourself.

•••

On second thought, you are right. I have changed my mind and comments here have helped. Possibly even beyond this issue, with my portfolio choices for the future.

I dunno how others work but for me at times its like I'm getting a lot of subliminal information besides what is visible. Hard to explain though. I feel something important has changed due to posting this but hard to express.

•••
My rule of thumb for a good brand is normally try to stick to one change with the creativity. Meaning, it is either word+word or word+suffix or change of a letter in a name etc. But not a combo of those, unless some rare exception.

In your case, you are adding 2 suffixes ly+ify. My recommendation is don't rush the name. It will come. Just keep looking. In the meanwhile, work on the script/project/website. Also, maybe don't limit yourself to handregs? Check the auctions and allocate budget of mid xxx for a right brand for yourself.
That is what I am doing.

Edit: was not going to use this one anyway, rather its just an example of the direction I'm going into. Not a perfect example though.

Last edited:
•••

You are probably going to need a pretty strong budget to get a good, one word(ish) brand in .COM.

Brad

•••

Yeah, it basically needs to be one level off.

When you have a whimsical brand + something else, I am not a big fan personally.

One I own is Kosmic.com, obviously a play on Cosmic. That as a standalone is solid, but adding some random extra term with it drops the quality a lot.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
My vote is for Slickdot, good brandable has dot in it like Dynadot has, i feel it will resonate well with end users, the reason why so many domainers are against your domains, because they are not end users.

•••
dm

Last edited:
•••
Back