IT.COM

advice Help Me Choose A Professional Name For Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Professional Name For Domaining?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • nameinvestor.in

• nameinvstr.com

• nameinvstrs.com

• dninvstr.com

• dninvstrs.com

• invstrin.com

• invstr.in

• dnp.xyz

• shaan.me

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shaan Chopra

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I want your help to choose a professional name for domaining. Sending a mail from Gmail or my personal domain which goes like me[at]shaan.me I am finding it a bit unprofessional. So, I have been picking domains for this, it will be great if you could help in this matter. The other motive is a blog and also get the backlinks redirected to this domain. I know there are experienced domainers here from your experience what do you suggest on the below names. Deliberately I am not making capital letters because meaning should come on its own.

1. nameinvestor.in
2. nameinvstr.com
3. nameinvstrs.com
4. dninvstr.com
5. dninvstrs.com
6. invstrin.com
7. invstr.in
8. dnp.xyz
9. shaan.me

Thank you in advance
Shaan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For a blog, and If you're in India, then obviously no.1

The others aren't good imo

Sending a mail from Gmail or my personal domain which goes like me[at]shaan.me I am finding it a bit unprofessional.
^ If you're talking about outbound; all except the last two might give potential customers the impression that your primary focus will be making money out of them. Maybe choose a name that more conveys an understanding of domains.

•••
I'm with the opinion below 100%

^ If you're talking about outbound; all except the last two might give potential customers the impression that your primary focus will be making money out of them. Maybe choose a name that more conveys an understanding of domains.

•••
Yep, agreed with the others, number 1 is the best of the bunch. Has an appeasing look actually with that extension. Shaan/me isn't bad either, though more bloggy-sounding. But a name can be what you make it. GL.

•••
Pick any name and make it your brand.

Ex: Godaddy, Dynadot, Fabulous, etc... has nothing to do with domain name.

•••
•••
Is your "firstname /lastname" available in the .com, or the .in?

That's assuming .in is part of your locale since it is cited above.

Prefer the .com and/or .in to the .me for your endeavor.

Nothing like branding yourself if you are planning to be a rather personal domain name seller -service & a
small - mid size firm.

Of the above listed choices prefer number 1.

•••

Thanks, @cooljub yes I am from India so .in is the next best option after .com. agreed last two don't seem very professional.

•••
Is your "firstname /lastname" available in the .com, or the .in?

That's assuming .in is part of your locale since it is cited above.

Prefer the .com and/or .in to the .me for your endeavor.

Nothing like branding yourself if you are planning to be a rather personal domain name seller -service & a
small - mid size firm.

Of the above listed choices prefer number 1.

Thanks, @WatchDogue yes "firstname/lastname" is available in .in which I own. But .com is not available. I am thinking in similar lines if I add more people then keeping my name would not be that great. But yes keeping this in mind.

•••
Of the options offered, I chose number 1.

•••
I think to some degree it may depend on how international your presence and sales will be. Also, do you want a name primarily as a seller of domain names, or as a brand consultant or writer, for example. Almost all of the suggested names involve word investor. If your main focus is serving clients, that focus may be wrong, possibly.

The name NameInvestor.in is memorable if the .in is suitable. It does work both as a phrase with word "in" and as a country code extension.

Even though in .xyz, I kind of like the really short dnp (which could mean various things like Domain Name Professional). If you are handling a mix of new and old extensions, it might be a good choice. And Alphabet do use .xyz. Still many will argue that you need to be on a .com.

All of the proposed .com seem to me too easy to get spelling wrong and I would try to keep looking for something else, if wanting a .com. A memorable two word would be better than the proposed ones to me, or as @johnn says brand around something memorable but that is not necessarily closely or obviously related to domain names.

Bob

•••
I would choose a different name as I dont see any of these names working. Good luck with your search.

•••
The only one that's usable is NameInvestor .. but then you're limiting yourself to India mostly.

If you're mostly dealing in .in domains, then it's not a problem .. otherwise if you're more international in scope, maybe keep looking.

I would stay away from any domain missing letters.

Good luck! :)

•••
I think to some degree it may depend on how international your presence and sales will be. Also, do you want a name primarily as a seller of domain names, or as a brand consultant or writer, for example. Almost all of the suggested names involve word investor. If your main focus is serving clients, that focus may be wrong, possibly.

The name NameInvestor.in is memorable if the .in is suitable. It does work both as a phrase with word "in" and as a country code extension.

Even though in .xyz, I kind of like the really short dnp (which could mean various things like Domain Name Professional). If you are handling a mix of new and old extensions, it might be a good choice. And Alphabet do use .xyz. Still many will argue that you need to be on a .com.

All of the proposed .com seem to me too easy to get spelling wrong and I would try to keep looking for something else, if wanting a .com. A memorable two word would be better than the proposed ones to me, or as @johnn says brand around something memorable but that is not necessarily closely or obviously related to domain names.

Bob

Thank you @Bob Hawkes I also kind of a fix between the first .in and .xyz but I am also keeping my options open. hopefully will close it soon. I am from India so .in is the next best after .com and in the .xyz is domain name professional is exactly my thinking.

•••
Shann.me

Wouldn't even consider any of the others.

•••
The only one that's usable is NameInvestor .. but then you're limiting yourself to India mostly.

If you're mostly dealing in .in domains, then it's not a problem .. otherwise if you're more international in scope, maybe keep looking.

I would stay away from any domain missing letters.

Good luck! :)

Thank you @Ategy I am from India so .in is the next best after .com here. I am keeping my options open.

•••
These are no good. Open a wanted thread in Domain Names Wanted and see what you can get.

•••
If you want to be taken seriously by the majority of people .. don't use a .xyz

Stick to a legacy TLD or ccTLD if your business is geo-restricted.

That being said .. of those .. .com is 20x++ better than anything else. Worst case go with a .net .. I'd do my best to avoid it, but .net is 20x++ better than .xyz. Which if you do the math, makes .com 400x++ better than .xyz. lol

I'd even go with a .biz long before .xyz!

Take your time and find a good .com .. otherwise just use the first one for now .. even using a .in for something you want to be global is better than a .xyz .. lol

•••
I'd even go with a .biz long before .xyz!
I know you are a data guy, @Ategy just wondering if you could share your evidence reasoning for that please. I looked at today's numbers and here is what I see.

I used the Centr stats engine (note their data is always few months back) to look at Global Cisco rank, 51 for biz 40 for .xyz (lower is better). This ranks each TLD according to a frequently used independent measure of traffic. It probably favours North American and western Europe stats, somewhat.

Another measure of use is Alexa 1M stats. Although more subject to deliberate manipulation, it is a more used measure. .xyz has 2528 sites in Alexa !M according to NameStat or 1 per 1011 registrations. I had to use DomainNameStats for .biz and it is 1728 sites in Alexa 1M, but 1 per 855 site registrations.

I looked at Spamhaus measure of abuse stats today .biz is 20% bad use and 1..77 score, .xyz is 5.8% with 0.53 score (lower is better).

I also used the Centr tool to look at growth rates in year over year, -25% for .biz and +24% for .xyz.

I looked at renewal rates using Centr, and those do favour .biz with 67.5% vs 25.9% for .xyz.

It is also helpful to consider if you are using something other than a respected country code or a major legacy to be able to point to a respected company that uses the name. I think it is helpful for those on .xyz to be able to point out that Alphabet, the parent object of Google, operate on a an .xyz for their investor relations. Perhaps there is one, but who would one point to for .biz?

In terms of establishment .biz is of course older, although both are well established TLDs with 5+ years background. Now with the removal of the price cap by ICANN, the prices of neither are capped. Both have near constant first year promotions, and higher renewal rates.

Anyway, not arguing that either is good, but just would be interested in your thinking for your statement. Note that the question here is not which is a better domain name for reseller potential - I would argue that both of those TLDs are weak in that measure (see next paragraph). But the question was which of them is better suited for an end use.

If one were looking at resale market as relevant, I did look at that also with NameBio. Using past 2 yr as window .biz has had 180 sales averaging $655, while .xyz has had only 59 but $1300 average.

The regional differences are very great between these two extensions, with .xyz much more popular in Asia and some other regions. It is important to not let our own regional perspective overly influence answers, especially to those from a different region.

Also, the early almost give away still tarnishes .xyz in many domainer eyes, but of course things change and it is always important to use up-to-date information. I am not making a particular argument for .xyz, I only own a handful, but I feel that looking at current evidence is important, and to me the numbers do not support your statement, but look forward to your reply.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Bob .. I'm not talking about .xyz on an investment level .. we're talking about using it as an end user. In which case most of the numbers you posted are completely meaningless if even a moderate portion of potential clients don't get .xyz or even worse .. know/think it to be a garbage TLD.

I say .biz is better because yes it's more established (note I never said it was an ideal or even good choice) .. but also because it makes sense .. to me .xyz says "amateur" / "not serious".

Maybe one day that will change .. but today choosing a .xyz domain to use as a domain marketplace is significantly restricting your audience .. and of the people who do come, they will expect the domains to be super cheap.

Last edited:
•••
Dnp.xyz would be better, short and clean, The only one I can remember.

•••
•••
If you want to be taken seriously by the majority of people .. don't use a .xyz
I guess the world's fourth biggest company didn't get your memo :xf.grin: I do take Alphabet, the Google parent company, seriously.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I guess the world's fourth biggest company didn't get your memo :xf.grin: I do take Alphabet, the Google parent company, seriously.

Exactly, even Alphabet makes mistakes :xf.grin:

xyz been milking Alphabet(.)xyz since day-1

Renewals i expected $6 like,.top/.icu, not $10! Past xyz penny promos, fooled me,

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Back