NameSilo

Help. I'm new to idn

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently learned about idn. There's a few cool names I found that I'd like to register & they're a combination of characters, but my problem is how to host it?

I use 1and1.com for hosting, but they only allow
ä ö ü á à â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

What about url forwarding with masking? Like if in registrar admin I point url to forward to one of my other domains, or sub, etc, but have browser window show the idn--which idn registrar provides this? The idn's that I've checked all come up as available & they do show correct in browser window, but they're a mixof various characters.

Also, are IDN allowed under .org?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
69kHz said:
I recently learned about idn. There's a few cool names I found that I'd like to register & they're a combination of characters, but my problem is how to host it?

I use 1and1.com for hosting, but they only allow
ä ö ü á à â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ì í î ï ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

What about url forwarding with masking? Like if in registrar admin I point url to forward to one of my other domains, or sub, etc, but have browser window show the idn--which idn registrar provides this? The idn's that I've checked all come up as available & they do show correct in browser window, but they're a mixof various characters.

Also, are IDN allowed under .org?

.org stopped IDN a while back I believe. I don't know what their near term plans are.

As for hosting. You will have to manage your domains in punycode e.g. "xn--"
But it is doable. I don't know of a host yet to let you manage domains in unicode. I use dreamhost because unlike most, they allow you to actually host unlimited domains on one account. I also have a hostgator account but all the domains I host there have to be subdomains which hurts me in search engine rankings. If you do go to dreamhost and use the promocode "moramora" you will get $60 off the cost of a single year plan which is about 50% off. Pretty good for unlimited domain hosting.

Most of us who do IDN use domainsite for registration. With their control panel, you can set url forwarding with masking and even use metatags to call out your keywords and description which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
•••
IDNs in .org are allowed for the following languages: Danish German Hungarian Icelandic Korean Latvian Lithuanian Polish Swedish.

You can register .org IDNs are Dynadot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back