Dynadot

Help I think I just been screwed.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
About a week ago i sold a site for a few hundred bux. Now paypal have taken the money back of me and told me it was fraudelent.

My problem now is although i still have all the site files etc this guy has my domain for it and also a back up of all all the accounts for it.(the site i sold was a free hosting site). How do i stand legally in getting this domain back. I have contacted the guy but no answer as of yet.

Any advice here appreciated this is a first for me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

KPR said:
About a week ago i sold a site for a few hundred bux. Now paypal have taken the money back of me and told me it was fraudelent.

My problem now is although i still have all the site files etc this guy has my domain for it and also a back up of all all the accounts for it.(the site i sold was a free hosting site). How do i stand legally in getting this domain back. I have contacted the guy but no answer as of yet.

Any advice here appreciated this is a first for me.

Take him to court...

•••
--> Contact paypal and the registra.

•••
Paypal are the ones who contacted me as it was done online they dont usually do anything in these cases hopefully as they started the proceedings they will back my claim up with domain register.

•••
Contact paypal they should be able to assist fairly quickly.

•••
unfortunately, i think you have lost the money, but there might be a way to get the domain name back. If you contact the registrar and talk to them about the situation, they might be able to help you.

•••
It's not likely PayPal can help you any further since they've already determined the funds were fraudulent. Legally, you have not been paid and are entitled to get the domain name and website back.

You might want to try contacting the registrar or the domain and request they put a hold on it. I would treat it a stolen domain until you're paid.

•••
PayPal won't help you, you're screwed. I only take PayPal from people I can trust, a couple of weeks I haven't and now my PayPal is blocked for having too many fraudulent transactions, so I'm screwed for a while as well.

Good luck, it's just a couple of hundred bux, the sadness will go away in 3-5 days :tu:

•••
•••
Contact paypal about the issue they should be able to help you. They seem to be pretty good about helping people out with these kinds of issues.

Good luck.

•••
are you kidding me brian?

•••
brianmn said:
Contact paypal about the issue they should be able to help you. They seem to be pretty good about helping people out with these kinds of issues.

Good luck.
Bull---

•••
Weve contacted the register for the return of the domain. The guy even had tha audacity to keep in communication saying it was an error till i sent the email paypal sent now i heard nothing. It aint the money really just hate being scammed.

Paypal are unwilling to help as there already saying was fraudulent so they think theve done there bit.

•••
KPR said:
Weve contacted the register for the return of the domain. The guy even had tha audacity to keep in communication saying it was an error till i sent the email paypal sent now i heard nothing. It aint the money really just hate being scammed.

Paypal are unwilling to help as there already saying was fraudulent so they think theve done there bit.

Paypal are useless, they never provide help in these sort of cases. Unfortunately I doubt you'll receive anything for this but hopefully your registrar may help you out if they have all the proper records (say you were scammed any they will assume your account was accessed and they domain was unauthorized for transfer - you should get it back).

•••
How was the payment fradulent?

Isn't that exactly the service PayPal is supposed to provide? Secure payments? It should be verified before it's credited to you, and that shouldn't take weeks. If I were you, I'd take issue with PayPal. If they didn't verify the guy's bank information/credit card, you can't be held accountable. That's the service they provide.

•••
Doibhilin said:

Isn't that exactly the service PayPal is supposed to provide? Secure payments? It should be verified before it's credited to you, and that shouldn't take weeks. If I were you, I'd take issue with PayPal. If they didn't verify the guy's bank information/credit card, you can't be held accountable. That's the service they provide.

yes, they are secure, when you SHIP your goods witha tracking #. PayPal coverage will cover up to $1000 if you have a proof of shipment. An e-mail record is not one of them; read PayPal's Seller Protection Plan and you will see that non-tangible goods like that are not covered.

I got scammed like that for $300 last year, that was the last time I did a transaction like that.

•••
•••
Doibhilin said:

You know those phoney emails claiming PayPal needs you to login and verify your account? A lot of people do fall for that trick.

Phishers then have full access to someone's PayPal and bank account. Once PayPal figures out the account has been stolen, they shut it down and reverse all the transactions made by the thief. Ultimately the vendors lose out. Its a tough situation for everyone.

•••
Those emails they scam people with are absolutely brilliant. The first time I got it, I got 3 of them, so I kind of figured it was a scam, if not for that'd a probably done it back when I was a newb.

Scammers suck.

•••
first time people doing business with you use escrow or have them mail a money order. I've been scammed off of ebay though paypal before and its not fun.

•••
is it possible to make the sale of domain names a tangible good?

I mean, what if you were to mail the recipient an invoice/confirmation letter of the sold domain. Sure it's an extra step but you might have a tracking number and everything for the domain.

If many pple send complaints to some govt official, i'm sure that there might be some legistation passed on groups like paypal to strengthen security. I mean, banks have tighter security measures. Maybe someone could look into it?

•••
Well the register (domainsite) wont return domain.

So we now have set up same domain but using extension .net (http://syxe.net) changed all customers to this domain and everything is running fine now. Only a bit of pride and $8 lost so not a lot really but a lesson learned.

•••
Everyone likes to beat up on Paypal for fraudulent card use and until someone figures out a way to stop card theft, there is nothing that can be done, except to exercise caution and common sense.

Paypal rarely guarantees funds make with a fraudulent card, the same as other payment processors. Having run brick and mortar business's, identity theft is a huge problem and companys write off billions each year due to fraud purchases. So it is not just Paypl who doesn't guarantee these types of funds.

Personally, I am sitting on over $2000 worth of fraudulent card activity in my account. Having been through this before, it is pretty easy to recognize a fraudulant payment. As soon as I have time, I'll contact Paypal and they can then sort it out BEFORE I have problems. For the most part, I have found PayPal to be very good and you simply have to learn how to play by their rules....as in life all over...there are rules and parameters.

Someone said escrow.com and you will have the same problem there. Companys like this only guarantee proper exchange, by holding the funds etc. They cannot guarantee against fraud, as that sometimes takes up to 6 months...yes, I had a guy contact me recently about a small charge almost 6 months ago through Paypal. Of course it was refunded.

If someone "steals" your info and make payments, don't you expect the card company to get your money back?? Of course you do..and regardless, someone other than the bad guy usually pays the price.

KPR, I feel for you and personally, I would email everyone on your forum and tell them what happened and provide details. Post the events here in the warning areas, so that others can try to avoid clowns who are doing this, as well as other places you work with. It is about the only way to slow it down..the legal system is of no real value in small cases like this and even if they were, where would the jurisdiction be?? I would also stay on the registrar, with all proper proof from Paypal etc. If they are a "sub-registrar", then rock the boat higher up, as in Enom etc. CC all parties and maybe that will help.

•••
The person is actuaslly from sitepoint and i have contacted them. As i dontr have much info except the users name was websitedealer i have no email addy etc there isnt much i can do. As for on my forum all is well now and the users are ok with it all sites under the subdomain syxe now run of the .net extension and as it is free hosting nobody is complaining yet.

As for paypal i understand there only doing there job if it was my account hacked i would want the money returned i never blamed them just frustrated.

•••
hi i think its discraceful, i dont really know what to do to be honest but it slack, it seems you sold it fare and square, have you contacted paypal and asked why????

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back