Dynadot

I lost my domain due to Porkbun, I seek your suggestions in this regard

NameSilo
Watch

AuctionBio

Top Member
Impact
I had a domain on porkbun and forgot to renew, and eventually that hit GoDaddy's auctions as expired domain auction.

I contacted Porkbun support to inquire about the possibility of reverting the domain back to its previous state after it expired.

I was informed that this was not possible due to the domain have active bids and that is why porkbun cannot revert back. Agent also told me that it is their agreement with afternic that if there is any bid than auction cannot be stopped.

But, I had a similar situation with another domain at the same time, which also had an active bid. However, when I transferred that domain out of Porkbun, the auction stopped automatically and I have that other domain with me.

Now as the auction has been ended and I have sent more emails to the retrieval of the domain but still no reply from porkbun team.

I have asked porkbun to investigate this matter but they are delaying in replying. Domain looks all gone now.

What you all suggest, what to do in this situation as I think there definitely some one mishandled this all situation and now they are silent.
I know I should have renewed the domain but still I was in a position to save it but porkbun just did not managed to handle it.

@Porkbun I would like you to investigate the process as I consider it a mismanagement from porkbun because you could do it.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now I got the reply that
"your domain" was sold at auction and is pending transfer to the buyer. I'm afraid we are unable to restore it."

@Porkbun

I initiated request with them before it was sold, I seek some suggestion in this regard if any one has any please.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Pretty sure you can't do anything to get it back, other than buy it back from new owner. The terms and conditions of Porkbun allow them to auction a domain once it has been expired long enough. You have agreed to these terms when signing up. Porkbun has not stolen your domain.

Lesson 1: always renew your domains if you need them, do not wait past expiration date.
Lesson 2: if you do not want your domains auctioned after expiration, choose a registrar that does not auction expired domains. This usually means choosing a more expensive registrar. If you go for a cheap registrar, they usually cover part of their revenue from domain auctions.

•••
They didn't "steal" your domain at all, you admit you forgot to renew... I'm sure they sent you plenty of emails telling you to renew, you ignored them, it's your fault... Always keep auto-renew on if you don't check your domains, and if you like the domain a lot, pay for a few extra years to make sure there is no issues... I have a few domains that I am all payed up for the next 10 years, and when the next year comes, I add another year... Why? Because I like the name and I want to keep it, even if I get ran over, it's still mine for the next 10 years...

•••
I am also a bit confused... you have been on here since 2015 and you didn't know if you don't pay for your domains they go to auction? :unsure:

•••
I am also a bit confused... you have been on here since 2015 and you didn't know if you don't pay for your domains they go to auction? :unsure:
that is why I mentioned it clearly that I forgot, and you know happens some time,
but still they could have done it,
btw i am changing my wordings.

•••
that is why I mentioned it clearly that I forgot, and you know happens some time,
but still they could have done it,
btw i am changing my wordings.
They could have but that is fully their discretion.

•••
Pretty sure you can't do anything to get it back, other than buy it back from new owner. The terms and conditions of Porkbun allow them to auction a domain once it has been expired long enough. You have agreed to these terms when signing up. Porkbun has not stolen your domain.

Lesson 1: always renew your domains if you need them, do not wait past expiration date.
Lesson 2: if you do not want your domains auctioned after expiration, choose a registrar that does not auction expired domains. This usually means choosing a more expensive registrar. If you go for a cheap registrar, they usually cover part of their revenue from domain auctions.
You are right, my concern was that they could do it and they opted not to do it.

•••
I know it very well and I also know that they can revert back the domain even if there are bids (and they were giving me wrong information completely that once there is bid than they can not stop it), they of course mishandled this issue.

•••
Hi,
How long after it expired did you contact porkbun to try and get it back?

•••
Autorenew is my first, nope, last defense.
I always try to renew manually domains that i want to keep 30 days before the auto renewal date.
I did lose a valuable domain in the past, so tough lesson learned.

•••
This title is misleading. You did not lose your domain due to Porkbun. You lost it due to your forgetfulness and/or incompetence (not trying to be mean - just saying, it's your fault). Surely not Porkbuns. This title makes one think it was their fault - when it was not.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back