Dynadot

information Heads-up: a lot of Twitter handles are about to to be released!

NameSilo
Watch

Are you going to secure social media handles with your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Important heads-up. This news just came out:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/26/twitter-will-free-up-handles-by-deleting-inactive-accounts/

There are tremendous number of Twitter handles that are inactive that correlate to domain names that people here likely own. Twitter will start making them available after December 11, 2019.

The announcement from Twitter is vague on timing -- they will drop handles randomly to prevent a land grab. That's fine, but many folks here are logical owners of social handles because you are domain owners.

@Gube is working on adding a monitoring tool to his DropElf.com for allowing folks to be alerted when a Twitter handle they are watching comes available. This should be an easy development.

Here is the essential message:

Domainers can add value to future brand buyers, by staging their inventory properly, and including free social handles. Those social handles can also backlink to landers and promote the domain for sale.

Looking ahead, Epik is looking at introducing a "Digital Brands Marketplace" where people can buy/lease not just domains but also social media assets and hosting assets as an integrated bundle.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yes, correct. Both are available, but yes, Truncate the TLD.

It's not, you can't get names with .com at the end. See my examples in previous post.

•••
Yes, you can't get names like https://twitter.com/CannaMedicana.com, with .com at the end

you can get
CannaMedicana
CannaMedicanaCom
CannaMedicanaDotCom

but not
CannaMedicana.com

I make a Twitter account with every site I make, and I've tried in the past.

Thanks. I never even tried with the tld and must admit I'm a bit rustic when it comes to social media. We decided to discontinue SM services a long time ago for trust/privacy reasons. Costing me a lot of clients and money but I cannot sell something I don't approve of personally.

That being said, I see the added value when you have the SM handle to accompany the .com.

•••
There are forces at work that would very much like to reduce the impact of domains

Agreed. We need to do what we can no matter how small to disrupt those 'forces' be they big or small.

•••
As you have probably gathered I'm not great with social media. So, if I've got this correct, if and when CannaMedicana sells, I change it to a different domain I have for sale ?

Last edited:
•••
It's not, you can't get names with .com at the end. See my examples in previous post.

Back when Epik was a baby, we could not get @epik on Twitter.

So we settled for:

https://twitter.com/epikdotcom

In the meantime, @epik is actually available again -- @Pat8 will check about getting it.

So, you can spell out the SLD but best to skip it. Lesson learned there! I am sharing the lesson here so others don't have to learn it the hard way.

Apparently it is possible to get the 4-letter or shorter Twitter handles but you have to appeal to them. We are looking into it and will hopefully be able to share the procedure if it works out.

•••
Appears the release has now been put on hold by Twitter, due to them not having a policy in place to support deceased members memorial accounts/profiles - Evidently no more releases until a similar policy to that which facebook uses is put in place. That could take a few months.

Twitter have admitted they acted in haste and have apologized for accounts/handles already deleted.

Facebook offer a frozen account platform, where everything previously posted is retained under the original facebook username . No further posts are allowed to stop any exploitation of the deceased persons account.

Evidently the cancellation of some of the twitter accounts caused a stink today

Last edited:
•••
Appears the release has now been put on hold by Twitter, due to them not having a policy in place to support deceased members memorial accounts/profiles - Evidently no more releases until a similar policy to that which facebook uses is put in place. That could take a few months.

Twitter have admitted they acted in haste and have apologized to accounts/handles already deleted.

Facebook offer a frozen account platform, where everything previously posted is retained under the original facebook username . No further posts are allowed to stop any exploitation of the deceased persons account

Nevertheless, @Gube is going to release a software monitoring tool for monitoring social media handles. I want to add a tab in the Epik domain manager for social handles where you can check which ones are available for matching your domain SLD, and the also manage the logins for those handles. This will make it easy to invent AI/Bots that will post content to your social handles, and then later sell domains with social media handles as a complimentary bundle.

•••
Nevertheless, @Gube is going to release a software monitoring tool for monitoring social media handles. I want to add a tab in the Epik domain manager for social handles where you can check which ones are available for matching your domain SLD, and the also manage the logins for those handles. This will make it easy to invent AI/Bots that will post content to your social handles, and then later sell domains with social media handles as a complimentary bundle.

They have lots of those type of things out there, affiliates back in the day used to gobble them up:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=social+media+availability+checker

•••
thanks at @Rob Monster

valuable information this time

social media handles are crucial
and the once who deny it:
think twice

•••
I think that is a naive statement.

Take the case study of Kylie Cosmetics.

Not too many folks on their site:

Show attachment 137258

For calibration, that is about much traffic as Epik.com and a bit less than NamePros. We are not talking about a high traffic site. Yet, that brand has more than 20 million followers on Instagram!

Show attachment 137257

I happen to be looking at this vertical because someone inquired about our domain name OneOverOne.com, a 2009 registration, greatly preceding the TM filing of OneOver.One who inquiried about the .COM this week.

Anyway, for some verticals, social media is the way bigger story. To deny that, is to deny facts.

Great comparison!

To expand upon this,

Singer Kylie Minogue (Kylie.com owned by Warner Media and developed for Minogue) opposed Kylie Jenners application to trademark 'Kylie'

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ky...ie-jenners-attempt-to-trademark-kylie.925323/

Furthermore,

Kylie Jenner uses @KylieJenner on Twitter
Kylie Minogue uses @KylieMinogue on Twitter
...and Twitter handle @kylie references Kylie Minogue.

upload_2019-11-27_16-36-0.png

•••
Great thread and information. I was not much thinking about social media handles from this perspective, but I think this can be very useful. Thanks :)

•••
Great comparison!

To expand upon this,

Singer Kylie Minogue (Kylie.com owned by Warner Media and developed for Minogue) opposed Kylie Jenners application to trademark 'Kylie'

https://www.namepros.com/threads/ky...ie-jenners-attempt-to-trademark-kylie.925323/

Furthermore,

Kylie Jenner uses @KylieJenner on Twitter
Kylie Minogue uses @KylieMinogue on Twitter
...and Twitter handle @kylie references Kylie Minogue.

Show attachment 137270

And you can see that the Twitter handle owner is still trying to score his fantasy date with Kylie...

154409_54424ef9bc95348912a0e7658906ae7c.png

He has 852 followers and is still hoping.

The closest I ever got was during a visit to Sydney for a World Chambers Federation conference, I got to meet all the Aussie fan favorites, complete with Akubra hat.... LOL. Good times.

upload_2019-11-27_17-13-46.png

upload_2019-11-27_17-14-6.png

•••
I don't know whos right more or less, but heck it can't hurt none, and it was free!

So say hello to my Very First tweet /Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/strainhub

I got the Matching Handle to go with StrainHub and listed on the lander that it's included!

Thanks

(just testing for fun)

Your test seems to be going well:

upload_2019-11-27_17-34-59.png

Now you need a proper landing page that brands Strainhub.com not some marketplace. I would choose SSL lander, but Wordpress would do... Please keep us posted on your social media experiment.

•••

Sorry, had to after seeing the pic in @Rob Monster post.

Last edited:
•••

Show attachment 137275

Now you need a proper landing page that brands Strainhub.com not some marketplace. I would choose SSL lander, but Wordpress would do... Please keep us posted on your social media experiment.

I will and thank you!

I’m currently using an Efty (Lander) back in July it was on a Dan lander, where it received a 1k offer.

I’m thinking it may be wise that I do not post much more on the Twitter handle...as anything I do and say could be something a “new “ owner maybe not want. So just a few follows and the fact it’s secured, it the main point, so that I can now offer it with the domain.

Last edited:
•••
I think that social media handles are worth very little when you possess the right domain. In reality, you only need one outlet to do business and a premium domain trumps all else.

Keith, I beg to differ.

I was successful in selling @bhangra twitter username to UK's largest Bhangra Music company (ABC Digital) for mid four figures some few years ago :)

P.S. They had reached out with an offer!

•••
Ive been waiting so long for these.... Cant wait.

•••
Keith, I beg to differ.

I was successful in selling @bhangra twitter username to UK's largest Bhangra Music company (ABC Digital) for mid four figures some few years ago :)

P.S. They had reached out with an offer!
Which is against the TOS at Twitter...

•••
Which is against the TOS at Twitter...

Yes, I'm well aware, but it was the company who reached out, inquired and made an offer to buy the twitter handle in question as we were actively using it at that point in time :)

Why would I let that opportunity slide being a domain name investor ;)

•••
Yes, I'm well aware, but it was the company who reached out, inquired and made an offer to buy the twitter handle in question as we were actively using it at that point in time :)

Why would I let that opportunity slide being a domain name investor ;)
So you sold a business, that business included the Twitter handle. I don't believe that is against the terms.

Congrats on the sale!

•••
Is there a list of handles available that Twitter will release?

•••
Is there a list of handles available that Twitter will release?

I doubt it, itll most likely be random. Many people would sit there and squat them...

•••
I don't know whos right more or less, but heck it can't hurt none, and it was free!

So say hello to my Very First tweet /Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/strainhub

I got the Matching Handle to go with StrainHub and listed on the lander that it's included!

Thanks

(just testing for fun)

Show attachment 137275

Well that didn't take long! LOL @Rob Monster and others you may find this interesting!

I woke up today to find my StrainHub Twitter has it's first 3 followers!

Of the 3

1 is the Verified Twitter of creagen dow ! The Nickelodeon Star/Actor from TV show Zoey 101

WOW lol just wow! This is h*lla neat! He as 56.9K followers on twitter and apparently is the CEO of an award winning brand "Poke a Bowl " https://twitter.com/CreagenDow

Who would of ever thought a GREAT DOMAIN and a Twitter Handle would lead to a Connection like this!

It is Quite hard and Damn Near Impossible, to get any sort of Famous Celebrity to follow ones personal , Instragm, Twitter, Facebook account. You could 20k followers on insta and still not get one celebrity to follow.

I am just now truly begging realize the power of a brand and it's name. In all honesty, I'd like to make 6 figures in sales.....and KEEP this name and build it out the way vision it, but that will take much needed Cash and Dev help+ Networking.

Happy Thanksgiving!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back