IT.COM

information Heads-up: a lot of Twitter handles are about to to be released!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Are you going to secure social media handles with your domains?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Important heads-up. This news just came out:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/26/twitter-will-free-up-handles-by-deleting-inactive-accounts/

There are tremendous number of Twitter handles that are inactive that correlate to domain names that people here likely own. Twitter will start making them available after December 11, 2019.

The announcement from Twitter is vague on timing -- they will drop handles randomly to prevent a land grab. That's fine, but many folks here are logical owners of social handles because you are domain owners.

@Gube is working on adding a monitoring tool to his DropElf.com for allowing folks to be alerted when a Twitter handle they are watching comes available. This should be an easy development.

Here is the essential message:

Domainers can add value to future brand buyers, by staging their inventory properly, and including free social handles. Those social handles can also backlink to landers and promote the domain for sale.

Looking ahead, Epik is looking at introducing a "Digital Brands Marketplace" where people can buy/lease not just domains but also social media assets and hosting assets as an integrated bundle.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
feels like watching for valuable expiring DN :)

Thanks, Rob.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I think that social media handles are worth very little when you possess the right domain. In reality, you only need one outlet to do business and a premium domain trumps all else.

•••
I think that social media handles are worth very little when you possess the right domain. In reality, you only need one outlet to do business and a premium domain trumps all else.

I think that is a naive statement.

Take the case study of Kylie Cosmetics.

Not too many folks on their site:

upload_2019-11-27_10-48-11.png

For calibration, that is about much traffic as Epik.com and a bit less than NamePros. We are not talking about a high traffic site. Yet, that brand has more than 20 million followers on Instagram!

upload_2019-11-27_10-47-12.png

I happen to be looking at this vertical because someone inquired about our domain name OneOverOne.com, a 2009 registration, greatly preceding the TM filing of OneOver.One who inquiried about the .COM this week.

Anyway, for some verticals, social media is the way bigger story. To deny that, is to deny facts.

•••

Show attachment 137258

For calibration, that is about much traffic as Epik.com and a bit less than NamePros. We are not talking about a high traffic site. Yet, that brand has more than 20 million followers on Instagram!

Show attachment 137257

I happen to be looking at this vertical because someone inquired about our domain name OneOverOne.com, a 2009 registration, greatly preceding the TM filing of OneOver.One who inquiried about the .COM this week.

Anyway, for some verticals, social media is the way bigger story. To deny that, is to deny facts.

I have had sales not happen because they could not get the exact match Twitter/Instagram. These were madeup brandables too, pissed me off that it prevented a domain sale.

•••
I have had sales not happen because they could not get the exact match Twitter/Instagram. These were madeup brandables too, pissed me off that it prevented a domain sale.

Exactly. I have seen the same. Which is why I would like to see two things:

- More domain investors should secure social handles for their domains, especially brandables.

- Introduce an upgraded marketplace where social handles can be verified and bundled.

•••

Show attachment 137258

Show attachment 137257

It’s not naive.

Kylie started out on social media and amassed one of the biggest base of followers in history. She can tweet and reach 200 million people so in this case any domain she uses is just for processing purposes.

It’s important to note that her case is extreme and 99.9% of businesses aren’t in the same boat. In almost every case, the domain far outweighs any social media platform, by comparison.

•••
Because of the possibility to apply a very own, unconventional marketing execution, results on soc. media platforms can be tremendou$.

•••
It’s not naive.

Kylie started out on social media and amassed one of the biggest base of followers in history. She can tweet and reach 200 million people so in this case any domain she uses is just for processing purposes.

It’s important to note that her case is extreme and 99.9% of businesses aren’t in the same boat. In almost every case, the domain far outweighs any social media platform, by comparison.

I gave you an edge case to illustrate your flawed absolute logic.

In the middle are a vast number of brands that start out with a website with no social media strategy. They get big and decide to dabble in social and have to settle for a crappy social handle.

Toki.com is going live. We don't own @toki on Twitter. The owner has a dog. Loves her dog. Unfortunately, nobody really cares about her Twitter, hence 57 followers for this dog with a blog.

upload_2019-11-27_11-19-55.png

•••
Because of the possibility to apply a very own, unconventional marketing execution, results on soc. media platforms can be tremendou$.

Right, I am also fascinated by the idea of automating some of those campaigns while tethering back to the SSL landers, or other landing page that promotes the domain for sale. It is another form of organic traffic but one where the right stimulus generates topically relevant virality, e.g. it becomes a brand with followers.

Social media as a strategy has legs but it needs some "AI" or process innovation to make it scale to domainer volumes. In the meantime, the people who have more time than money can do themselves a favor by securing the social handles that map to their domains.

•••
I gave you an edge case to illustrate your flawed absolute logic.

In the middle are a vast number of brands that start out with a website with no social media strategy. They get big and decide to dabble in social and have to settle for a crappy social handle.

Toki.com is going live. We don't own @toki on Twitter. The owner has a dog. Loves her dog. Unfortunately, nobody really cares about her Twitter, hence 57 followers for this dog with a blog.

Show attachment 137259
In this case zero people care about @toki on any social media platform. Why? Because they are already aware of toki.com and have no reason to stray from the website, aka the domain!

Your example of “they get big” is perfect because this is the precise reason they do not need social media... they got big from the domain only!!!

•••
In this case zero people care about @toki on any social media platform. Why? Because they are already aware of toki.com and have no reason to stray from the website, aka the domain!

Your example of “they get big” is perfect because this is the precise reason they do not need social media... they got big from the domain only!!!

Well, I don't follow your logic, but since your VIP I will just say thanks!

In my view, social media handles at the very least add "Defensive moat' around a brand.

However beyond the defensive benefit I would say anything that gets folks out of apps and back into software that references a domain is a positive, e.g. web browser, email addresses, etc.

There are forces at work that would very much like to reduce the impact of domains as an addressing schema. My vote is to use their tools to promote domains. Call me crazy.

•••
Well, I don't follow your logic, but since your VIP I will just say thanks!

In my view, social media handles at the very least add "Defensive moat' around a brand.

However beyond the defensive benefit I would say anything that gets folks out of apps and back into software that references a domain is a positive, e.g. web browser, email addresses, etc.

There are forces at work that would very much like to reduce the impact of domains as an addressing schema. My vote is to use their tools to promote domains. Call me crazy.
I don’t understand this logic at all.

It appears that you’re saying a social media handle is necessary to promote your domain. Say what?!

Domains are king and yes, if you own isellbeer.com, it’s beneficial to hold @beer on Twitter or instagram. If you own beer.com though, you could give a shit about social media handles. Point is, the best domains trump any little Twitter account you can create. It’s really night and day in terms of credibility and visibility.

•••
Exact Match Domain + Exact Match Twitter/Social Handle = Trust!

•••
I don't know whos right more or less, but heck it can't hurt none, and it was free!

So say hello to my Very First tweet /Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/strainhub

I got the Matching Handle to go with StrainHub and listed on the lander that it's included!

Thanks

(just testing for fun)

•••
I don't know whos right more or less, but heck it can't hurt none, and it was free!

So say hello to my Very First tweet /Twitter account!

https://twitter.com/strainhub

I got the Matching Handle to go with StrainHub and listed on the lander that it's included!

Thanks

(just testing for fun)

well done! please dont forget add an avatar!!
thanks for inviting us on your Twitter journey.
i dont have twitter too and going to make soon

Samer

Last edited:
•••
well done! please dont forget add an avatar!!
thanks for inviting us on your Twitter journey,
i dont have twitter too and going to make soon

Samer

Thanks, just added a random pic atm...will adjust it later!

•••
Thanks, just added a random pic atm...will adjust it later!

The thing that folks underestimate is how software can now be used to do things like post content, follow people, follow people back. Yes, to an extent, the AI is going to take over, and that's good news for those with the land on which the AIs can operate!

•••
Important heads-up. This news just came out:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/26/twitter-will-free-up-handles-by-deleting-inactive-accounts/

There are tremendous number of Twitter handles that are inactive that correlate to domain names that people here likely own. Twitter will start making them available after December 11, 2019.

The announcement from Twitter is vague on timing -- they will drop handles randomly to prevent a land grab. That's fine, but many folks here are logical owners of social handles because you are domain owners.

@Gube is working on adding a monitoring tool to his DropElf.com for allowing folks to be alerted when a Twitter handle they are watching comes available. This should be an easy development.

Here is the essential message:

Domainers can add value to future brand buyers, by staging their inventory properly, and including free social handles. Those social handles can also backlink to landers and promote the domain for sale.

Looking ahead, Epik is looking at introducing a "Digital Brands Marketplace" where people can buy/lease not just domains but also social media assets and hosting assets as an integrated bundle.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Include YouTube channels and you have a winner.

•••
It's probably against most social media platforms T&C's to register a user name with the purpose of "selling" it (which may be how its viewed when bundled with a domain) . I'm sure there are many work arounds and it's probably never enforced but would be something to look in to.

•••
It's probably against most social media platforms T&C's to register a user name with the purpose of "selling" it (which may be how its viewed when bundled with a domain) . I'm sure there are many work arounds and it's probably never enforced but would be something to look in to.

No, not the reason. The social media is part of a cohesive brand and supports the domain. The social media handles cannot be sold. They can only be gifted and bundled. I happen to believe that the social channels can amplify the landing page, which is the other reason particularly if the landers look good.

•••
Not sure if I understand this handle stuff to be honest. I own lagunaDomains //com
( It's not for sale anywhere by the way)
And my Twitter is
Https://twitter.com/lagunaDomains.

Is this what your refering too ?
If this post is against any rules I will of course delete it

•••
Not sure if I understand this handle stuff to be honest. I own lagunaDomains //com
( It's not for sale anywhere by the way)
And my Twitter is
Https://twitter.com/lagunaDomains.

Is this what your refering too ?
If this post is against any rules I will of course delete it

I checked your inventory at Dan.

For example, you have CannaMedicana.com. You don't have the corresponding Twitter handle:

https://twitter.com/CannaMedicana.com

Seems like a missed opportunity.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back