Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Guide for New Appraisers

At NamePros, we're newly committed to building the best member appraisals in the domain industry. I strongly encourage everyone, industry "newbies" and domain veterans alike, to put thought and take pride in your appraisals. You certainly need not be the most experienced domainer to be able to offer helpful appraisals to domain owners.

I've prepared a short guide for newbie appraisers as an introduction to doing quality appraisals.

Advice for newbie appraisers,

Don't:
- Use "cut & paste" appraisals
- Just copy what the poster before you said
- Offer up specific values if you're doing so solely by guessing
- Fill your appraiser profile with false information. There's no need to represent experience.

Do:
- Give your first impressions of the name (what did you think of when you first saw it?)
- Comment on the way the domains sound (verbally)
- Share development ideas and talk about possible uses
- Suggest possible end-user buyers who might have need for the name
- Comment on similar names that have sold or that are currently available for registration
- If appraising with a value, offer a brief explanation why
- Complete the Interview Q&A's for your profile so members can understand your perspective
- Explain your valuation methods in your Appraiser Interview Q&A's

- Learn from your fellow members. If you see appraisers that are consistently on-target with their appraisals, learn from them. Notice how they structure their appraisals and the kind of criteria they look for in a quality name. You will now have access to their appraiser profiles so you can learn what methods and tools he or she uses to appraise names.

- Keep in touch with currents in the domain industry by keeping up with domain-related discussions on NamePros.

- And finally, continue to build your own experiences in buying and selling names.

Helpful Threads:
The Unofficial NP Domain Appraisal Guide by skyraider
Appraisal Definitions by Sabre Hosting
Reseller/Wholesale & Retail/End User definitions

Helpful Tools:
Overture Tool
Google
Whois.Sc to find owners of similar names
A link popularity tool for traffic names (Marketleap.com)

Have a great time at NamePros!

Sincerely,

Ron James
Webmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi!!

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

•••
Bringing back memories, guys?

;)

-Steve

•••
Thanks RJ

I am a noob in this business.
That thread helped me a lot!
Thanks RJ

Hi

I even got the same mail from some other company for my domain name like what ryccki06 got.
Seems like they are faking.

•••
Thanks for posting this guide, am new to this forum and found it very helpful. Looking forward to contributing to this community.

•••
Just read the whole thread.

1)
thanks -RJ-, very good points, I fear I am guilty of posting more than a few, less than complete, appraisals. Though in my defence, I usually only attempt an appraisal when the OP has received no response from more qualified members.

2)
LOL a thread to inform noobs like myself about the need for more thorough appraisal methods gets hijacked by noobs! Maybe this thread needs a tidy up?

•••
When will appraisers stop mixing domain name value with domain content?

Overall the WWW I see appraisers pricing domains up and down based upon all sorts of parameters. Really, when will "they" learn that any ranking anywhere depends upon web content and not upon name length?
If an appraiser estimates the value of a domain, he/she analyzes SLD and TLD length, descriptivity, syllabs, words, etc.
If the appraiser estimates the business value, he/she analyzes web content, sales per period, total and detailed revenues, ROI, expenses, keywords, SERP, etc.
I see that almost all appraisers seem to mix up domain (name.ext) with content (text, pics, keywords, SERP).
What are we all talking about? Apples are not pears, and rabbits are no camels.
I strongly suggest NamePros staff to go the realistic way before some other company does.
Is it really so difficult to set a price on "name.ext"+"hits/time"+"ranking whatever"+"revenue/time"?

•••
•••
Very good article and should be very good resource for most of us
It is really a great article.
Thanks,
-RJ-

•••
Domain Valuation

At the end of the day a domain is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it on the day and the factors coming in to play there are endless. The price on one day could be a fraction of the price you might get another day and visa versa. There is some truth in being in the "right place at the right time" when someone who is looking for your domain finds it. Having said that, many people are starting to become aware of the value of having a good domain name and developing it so demand and prices can only increase as long as supply is limited.

•••
Thanks Rj for reminding me about that,....
you've post very informative one.........
thanks again

•••
thanks for the thread.
so how do I get to earn NP$'s for my appraisals? :D

I've completed the questions, please someone review my profile and enable it :)

•••
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back