Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Domain BuyerTop Member
Impact
Guide for New Appraisers

At NamePros, we're newly committed to building the best member appraisals in the domain industry. I strongly encourage everyone, industry "newbies" and domain veterans alike, to put thought and take pride in your appraisals. You certainly need not be the most experienced domainer to be able to offer helpful appraisals to domain owners.

I've prepared a short guide for newbie appraisers as an introduction to doing quality appraisals.

Advice for newbie appraisers,

Don't:
- Use "cut & paste" appraisals
- Just copy what the poster before you said
- Offer up specific values if you're doing so solely by guessing
- Fill your appraiser profile with false information. There's no need to represent experience.

Do:
- Give your first impressions of the name (what did you think of when you first saw it?)
- Comment on the way the domains sound (verbally)
- Share development ideas and talk about possible uses
- Suggest possible end-user buyers who might have need for the name
- Comment on similar names that have sold or that are currently available for registration
- If appraising with a value, offer a brief explanation why
- Complete the Interview Q&A's for your profile so members can understand your perspective
- Explain your valuation methods in your Appraiser Interview Q&A's

- Learn from your fellow members. If you see appraisers that are consistently on-target with their appraisals, learn from them. Notice how they structure their appraisals and the kind of criteria they look for in a quality name. You will now have access to their appraiser profiles so you can learn what methods and tools he or she uses to appraise names.

- Keep in touch with currents in the domain industry by keeping up with domain-related discussions on NamePros.

- And finally, continue to build your own experiences in buying and selling names.

Helpful Threads:
The Unofficial NP Domain Appraisal Guide by skyraider
Appraisal Definitions by Sabre Hosting
Reseller/Wholesale & Retail/End User definitions

Helpful Tools:
Overture Tool
Google
Whois.Sc to find owners of similar names
A link popularity tool for traffic names (Marketleap.com)

Have a great time at NamePros!

Sincerely,

Ron James
Webmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
RJ, i was dont know about this new rule that all have to discribe and tell owner about everything worth of domain. i only give range + expected price of domain. Enable my option now i will also give informations.

Thanks
Waiting for your responce

•••
Domain Appraisals

Hi, I'm a newbie and have had a few appraisals done through other sites, mainly sedo. I am wandering if anyone can tell me if there is a specific "formula" that can be used to determine how much of a lesser value should be place on a .org and/or a .net than what the .com is worth. I know (or am told) that the .org and .net are of less value and I understand why. reason for my question at this time..I have just had an appraisal done for a .com name and someone wants to buy the .org of the same name. Do I need to pay for a whole new appraisal? As a general rule, do the .org's go for 10% less, 20% less, 50% less or how is this determined. Sorry so long, but I am trying to come up with a fair price right away to ask for this name. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW..I have learned quite a bit here already. Thanks, hope I didn't post this the wrong way.

Cindy

•••
ok, i've completed the FAQ's, now do I have to wait for a admin or mod to do something?

•••
•••
I for one am new in the domains area.. so this thread was very informative and helpful. Thanks RJ

•••
Interesting article. thanks for the heads up

•••
Great job, thanks for the share

iDeviseFlash said:
ok, i've completed the FAQ's, now do I have to wait for a admin or mod to do something?

•••
nice guidelines !!! really nice !!

•••
just want to know when some people say low and mid xx, what is the range are they refering to?

low xx=$10-$33
mid xx=$34-$66
hig xx=$67-$99

am I correct?

•••
cache said:
just want to know when some people say low and mid xx, what is the range are they refering to?

low xx=$10-$33
mid xx=$34-$66
hig xx=$67-$99

am I correct?
Yeah, I think you're pretty dead-on. If they tell you "mid $xx" they don't neccisarily mean exact figures. If someone told me one of my domains was worth mid $xx, I'd probably think they meant ~$35 - ~$65 or so. I guess it all depends on what the person posting the appraisal thinks of values, everyone assumes 'low $...', 'mid $...', and 'high $...' a little differently.

Oh, and for 'low xx', you could probably go down to $0 - 33, appraising a domain at $10 might be bragging for certain domains that aren't even close to being worth that much.

•••
There something that I would like to add, it seems so obvious to me that I am surprised actually I have to make the point.

Those posting a request for appraisal *should* always put the domain name in the title so we don't waste time reading posts that we may have no idea about.
If poster is requesting appraisal for several names then he/she should at least include a few in the title.

Anyone agree ?

•••
Thanks for teh guide. this was a messup post, hope my edit isnt spam

•••
ive just found this website, and its very informative. i've got 1 design job already from the webdesign forum, and i'm learning a lot about domains, and buy/sell of them. great post here.

- Robb

•••
Drop This: REP+++ and the like

Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing [REP+] on appraisal threads.

Of course, the people who are doing this the most - are the new members who do not have any reputation to spread. Of course, this is by design.

So, what's left - the catalyst? Looks like it effective - but most of the time its an empty promise.

Even the catalyst is getting out of hand. People are adding more and more plus signs to get even more attention.

Appraisals by nature are not supposed to be biased or influenced by outside factors, and offering (often null) reputation completely contradicts this.

If spreading reputation cost NP$ - it would certainly go away. Don't abuse the reputation system. It is a means of tracking how reputable a fellow user is

Please, stop using reputation as your catalyst and accept whatever appraisals come your way.

-Steve

•••
Well stated Steve, and I'll take this one step further.
Everyone wants to look good to our other members, it's natural.
Large Post Counts, lots of rep, it looks good on your profile.
But guess what, if all your posts are coming out of The Break Room (and dont say I hate the break room) or are cut and paste "I agree" or "Good Thread" types, it may look good on paper but does not mean a thing to senior members and you are fooling no one.

Some of our most respected members have been here 2-3 years and have 200, 300, whatever say 1000 posts and 2-3 bars of rep... but when I see them in a thread thats when I will really pay attention. These members dont have to run up post count or beg for rep because they know what they are talking about and only post when they have something to offer to the thread or community. So dont think 2000 posts is better than 200 posts. As we like to say in this industry, content is king and what is considered a worthy post means more than a 1000 lame/bandwidth wasting/still looking like a n00b with a 1000 posts.

Now as to the practice of the thread starters begging rep or NP$ when offering something to the community at large. This is not only tacky but embarassing to the rest of us. That is not sharing. You give back to the community in equal or greater sums to that which the community has enriched you. If you have taken the time to build a list or write an article or have found a resource that others can use and feel you must be compensated for your efforts, post it in the proper sales section and quit calling it sharing.

Now, worse than the thread starter begging is posters in a request thread requiring or even asking for NP$ before they will help. This is a shamless new practice and I have expressed my thoughts in each example I have found.
It would seem however some people have no pride or sense of what the word "community" really means.

I have plenty of support behind me on this issue so you might want to re-consider before trying to defend it, but please, if you can seriously justify such actions I would appreciate hearing them.

Peace,
Cyberian

stscac said:
Quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing [REP+] on appraisal threads.

Of course, the people who are doing this the most - are the new members who do not have any reputation to spread. Of course, this is by design.

So, what's left - the catalyst? Looks like it effective - but most of the time its an empty promise.

Even the catalyst is getting out of hand. People are adding more and more plus signs to get even more attention.

Appraisals by nature are not supposed to be biased or influenced by outside factors, and offering (often null) reputation completely contradicts this.

If spreading reputation cost NP$ - it would certainly go away. Don't abuse the reputation system. It is a means of tracking how reputable a fellow user is

Please, stop using reputation as your catalyst and accept whatever appraisals come your way.

-Steve

Last edited:
•••
thanks cyberian ;) wells said

•••
I must say I agree with Cyberian too.

•••
I think I would have a seriously hard time running a forum, because I would probably ban around 70% of my users and try to create a focused group of people who contribute to the community. Thats the problem you find on the Internet, is that people don't really care about being part of a community. I guess a lot of people feel like this is just one stop in the millions of sites on the Internet. Everyone wants to take and take, but never give anything back. And I'm not saying this is prevelant on this forum, but obviously you guys have expressed some concerns. I think the best way to handle these types of situations are just to keep giving the mods feedback and offer to help any way we can. They take a lot upon themselves and they can't always catch every problem that pops up. I think the fact that they hold meetings and have a forum for feedback shows that they want this to be a great community and they are willing to make changes towards that end.

I guess there just needs to be a better way to hammer it into people that they need to be professional and act like adults, instead of just begging for hand outs and expecting people to give them everything they want.

•••
Forums are tainted by strong opinions.

•••
How do i accept the appraisal rules? I have filled my Q&A, General and Appraiser in my User CP.

But still dont show that i accepted any rules as you can see on some people's profile.

•••
Same as the above here as well.

•••
How do you accept the rules? Still dont get it :(

•••
•••
JuggernautH said:
How do you accept the rules? Still dont get it :(

The rules you're referring to are for thread starters. They will appear when starting a new thread in a forum that has a compulsory rule agreement requirement.

•••
Okay, thanks for telling :)
Then i have to start a thread soon hehe, not in a rush though.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back