IT.COM

Appraisal Definitions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sabre

First Time Poster!Top Member
Impact
Appraisals are an essential part of the domaining world. An appraisal is the value of a domain by someone with knowledge in the domain market.
However different people, have different opinions, so sometimes, it can be hard to find the best appraisal.

An appraisal can be based on many things.

Market Standing - How the market is trading, for example, if the bread industry was on a high and the chicken industry was at a big low, www.breadworld.com would have increased value, while www.chickenworld.com would have the opposite.

Pronunciation - How easily is the domain spoken? Can the domain name roll off of your tongue smoothly?

Visual test - Is the name easily recognizable? Would a company or business create a logo or brand for the domain name?

Length - How long is the name? Shorter domains appeal to a wider audience and have more value.

Extension - What is the ending of the name? The .com ending is still the most desirable and valuable.

Pagerank - Does the domain have a pagerank? If so, this could lead to increased value.

Traffic - Does the domain have any traffic? Some domainers just buy domains for the traffic, so any traffic is a plus.

TradeMark - Could this domain be in violation of a trademark? Most violating domains are worth absolutely nothing.

Development - Is the domain developed? If so, is it developed well, and will it be able to fufill the buyers needs?

Profit - If the site is making a profit, through either parking or development / sales, you need to addon a profit-period for the domain of between 6-12 months. Eg. If the domain is making $200 a month through development, but the domain is worthless, you would value the domain for between $1200 and $2400 in most cases.

When finally giving a price for the domain, there are 2 different types of buying. These are:

Wholesale - Selling the domain to anyone in particular, this is a general price for the domain, and is the most easy and most likely to achieve sales - wise. It is normally a lot lower than an end user sale.

End User- Selling the domain to someone that deals with the topic your domain is covering etc.
eg. Ikea may want to purchase diy.com from you.

There are also several terms often used when appraising a domain:

Pricing =

low / minimal value - $0-$1.99
0.00 - reg fee / >reg fee - $2 - $6.99
reg fee +- - $7 - $9.99
low xx - $10 - $39.99
mid xx - $40 - $69.99
high xx - $70 - $99.99

Other terms =

IMO - In my opinion
IMHO - In my honest opinion

(If anyone has anymore to add to this, please feel free to do so, as it is benefiting the community, but please keep all posts relevant.... thanks! Also if you need any further help, or advice, dont hesitate to PM me :))

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you for this explaining, I was most confused when I saw thigs like IMHO and didn't know what they were.
I thought they were swearing. :lol:

•••
Yeah :D I thought it meant "I'm Hoe" :D

•••
well.. somethimes IMHO means 'in my humble opinion'.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back