Dynadot

Got a "F*ck You" response from a domainer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I made a number of inquiries on domain names lately and am still shocked how many domainers do not respond to an inquiry. Granted I did not open with a price, I always ask what are you looking to get for the domain. I end by saying I am very interested and please do not ignore my inquiry.

In the last month I have sent 6 inquiries and received only two responses and one response ended in a sale. So from 6 domains one was what I would call a great transaction and the other one at least an attempt for a sale.

That said, I have a tendency to send the inquiry at least twice and this month I send the following to 4 of my inquiries. that failed to respond.

Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Got one response back from a domainer

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Wow.... just wow :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I think there's some confusion here on what the focal point is for your thread, so I will try to recap how I read this. Your title is "Got a $! response from a Domainer"

My Impression from Original Post
1) Based on your title, and your ending statement, I believe you are focused on the FU Reply you received
2) you DID NOT mention in your original post that you used their Contact Form on the landing page for the domain name. So it appears you simply sent out emails after looking up their WHOIS information. We've all received emails from domainers looking to buy cheap...
3) your original post indicates it is a .COM (not .ca) domain name.

What we learned later from you:
A) you used the domain's contact form (that does not have a place to make an offer)
B) it is a "Crap .CA Domain Name" destined to be dropped
C) You are more upset that the person ignored your first 2 attempts at contact (not so much the final FU reply)
D) You knowingly provoked, and fully expected, the domainer to reply in that manner

My Understanding and Reply to you at this point would be:
-As a domainer, I do NOT think it is good practice to ignore inquiries that come in from the domain's Contact Form. But I do sometimes ignore inquiries coming from WHOIS emails
-Based on the facts from your OP, I believe the FU reply was harsh but warranted. And like you said, you fully expected it

-I think you don't have an open mind as to the possibility that this person might have not received and/or had a chance to reply to your original inquiries. It was the Holidays -- things get hectic around the holidays. People lose loved ones, people get sick, etc... Whatever the reason, to hit a person who might actually be going through a tough time with your 3rd email is silly. It just makes for a lost purchase for you. Just state your offer price on the 3rd attempt and move on.

-Since it is a "Crap .CA domain", why in the world are you trying to buy it (twice for that matter). Just get it on the drop.

-I believe many posts on this thread are focused on whether or not you deserved the "FU" Reply. And my answer is still YES (and you also expected it). The problem is that you now call everyone replying in this manner an amateur and stupid and some other things I can't remember. You have no idea how to listen to people and try to understand things from their point view. You rather use bold red text to berate the people who do not agree with you and your tactics.

Regards,
DN

Last edited:
•••
I think there's some confusion here on what the focal point is for your thread, so I will try to recap how I read this. Your title is "Got a $! response from a Domainer"

My Impression from Original Post
1) Based on your title, and your ending statement, I believe you are focused on the FU Reply you received
2) you DID NOT mention in your original post that you used their Contact Form on the landing page for the domain name. So it appears you simply sent out emails after looking up their WHOIS information. We've all received emails from domainers looking to buy cheap...
3) your original post indicates it is a .COM (not .ca) domain name.

What we learned later from you:
A) you used the domain's contact form (that does not have a place to make an offer)
B) it is a "Crap .CA Domain Name" destined to be dropped
C) You are more upset that the person ignored your first 2 attempts at contact (not so much the final FU reply)
D) You knowingly provoked, and fully expected, the domainer to reply in that manner

My Understanding and Reply to you at this point would be:
-As a domainer, I do NOT think it is good practice to ignore inquiries that come in from the domain's Contact Form. But I do sometimes ignore inquiries coming from WHOIS emails
-Based on the facts from your OP, I believe the FU reply was harsh but warranted. And like you said, you fully expected it

-I think you don't have an open mind as to the possibility that this person might have not received and/or had a chance to reply to your original inquiries. It was the Holidays -- things get hectic around the holidays. People lose loved ones, people get sick, etc... Whatever the reason, to hit a person who might actually be going through a tough time with your 3rd email is silly. It just makes for a lost purchase for you. Just state your offer price on the 3rd attempt and move on.

-Since it is a "Crap .CA domain", why in the world are you trying to buy it (twice for that matter). Just get it on the drop.

-I believe many posts on this thread are focused on whether or not you deserved the "FU" Reply. And my answer is still YES (and you also expected it). The problem is that you now call everyone replying in this manner an amateur and stupid and some other things I can't remember. You have no idea how to listen to people and try to understand things from their point view. You rather use bold red text to berate the people who do not agree with you and your tactics.

Regards,
DN
You get an A+ for that one. It will save people alot of reading. Thanks! :)

•••
So yesterday morning I received an offer through Sedo on a domain. It was low at $95. I thought why even respond to such a low offer. I get offers all the time for that domain and I'm in no rush to sell it.

I decided to reply. I countered at $30k and thought that will be the end of that...

This morning I woke up and found that the person emailed me directly wanting to discuss it further.

We'll see what happens but I'm so glad I didn't ignore it or send a rude reply.

•••
His family could of been killed by a pack of escaped meth fuelled baboons and he was in mourning.
This one. A tragedy, but at least he received the 3rd email.

•••
So yesterday morning I received an offer through Sedo on a domain. It was low at $95. I thought why even respond to such a low offer. I get offers all the time for that domain and I'm in no rush to sell it.

I decided to reply. I countered at $30k and thought that will be the end of that...

This morning I woke up and found that the person emailed me directly wanting to discuss it further.

We'll see what happens but I'm so glad I didn't ignore it or send a rude reply.

It is ALWAYS worth a few minutes to reply politely with a price and here is the proof! Not only you, but myself and many others have turned the $50 offer into nice sale at the value of the domain name.

Its the bottom line of this thread - it was not only disrespectful to send a "F you" reply but its severely limiting in what the outcome shall be.

Oh well, I think this horse has been beaten far beyond death now! :)

Congrats on the further negotiations, by the way!

•••
Grow up man, if he did not want to sell, go to other domains that you like. Life is shit, it's not all cookies and rainbows.

•••
The rude reply is often used by some domainers as an attempt to "smoke out" serious buyers.

It appears like an emotion based response, but it's can be effective, though it could also backfire.

If after the rude reply, you get back to them - what does that tell the domainer? It tells them you are not going to let a little use of the "f" word get in the way of business, and you are serious.

Logical.

I think there is one funny case, it was a six figure name, where the domainer was (paraphrasing) "don't ever f***ing contact me again" after the eMail ... but after a few of these, it was a sort of joke, and the deal was eventually done.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, what I said was "please don't ever contact me again."
What I got back was "f*ck you for being rude." Which I didn't respond to.
It was not a six figure name. No deal was ever done. I could tell instantly
from the email that I received that I was dealing with a nitwit who was just going
to waste my time. And I don't have time to waste on nitwits.

Last edited:
•••
I thinh it better with a offer that has price.

•••
If I tell a salesperson in a store that I am interested buying and have some questions, and they don't provide prompt, professional and courteous service, I just leave. Their loss.

I usually don't take time to school them on customer service. They learn on their own by not selling.

The first FU to you was them not responding at all. I would walk away at that point.
And that is when YOU KNOW he is selling/a salesperson. It is NOT a loss to him if he is not selling. I sometimes slap inquiry forms on some names just to see what others may think of it. This buyer was ARROGANT and deserves even more FUs. The only loss here is to the buyer that's the reason he is the one crying.

Last edited:
•••
That was my 3rd inquiry to him, I was professional twice and asked him to contact me. Both times I reiterated I was seriously interested in acquiring the domain.
Why do you feel he owes you a response. He doesn't! There is nothing professional in ANY of your mails. You don't twist people's arms into doing your will. No response is STILL a message passed. Work on your entitlement attitude

•••
I definitely learned from this entire topic, in fact I took it to heart.

So here is what I did.....

What I decided to do was stop trying to buy domains from other domainers.

I bought quite a few domains from domainers in the last number of years where I cold contacted them. Some of them are even on the forum here but I have stopped that now. So unless I see a domain at auction or at drop my days of cold purchasing are probably done.

In the end it was not the FU that convinced me to stop, it was in fact my fellow domainers, all those that taught me such a powerful lesson. YUP YOU WON OVER THE O.P.

Reality is..... yup you did win.

I've learned my lesson..... no more cold buying from domainers for me, no more using their web forms to dare ask how much they want for a domain. No more complaining when they don't respond. I am now officially done with all of that, the lesson has been learned.

Yup guys.... you did it, you won, you changed my mind, I was wrong, I promise never, never to do it again. I will never bother a domainer with my approach to buying their domain again.

Yup.... I say it again.... yup... you won.... lesson learned. :sorry:

Happy Domaining...

Last edited:
•••
I definitely learned from this entire topic, in fact I took it to heart.

What I decided to do was stop trying to buy domains from other domainers.

Happy Domaining...

That's probably a wise choice. Domainers, in general, don't want to sell domains to other domainers. Almost their entire ecosystem is predicated on selling domains to end-users. You've probably had success in the past by not low-balling them with your offers. These words have no reference to the points in your post. It's just a general observation. Every low-ball offer I receive gets a high-ball response. And then the low-baller has the temerity to get upset. Which I enjoy immensely :)

Happy Domaining ... (The .com is for sale by GoDaddy's NameFind.com for $4999. Estibot thinks it's worth $0. I have no idea how to look up the GoDaddy valuation. Which might be educational.)

Last edited:
•••
I made a number of inquiries on domain names lately and am still shocked how many domainers do not respond to an inquiry. Granted I did not open with a price, I always ask what are you looking to get for the domain. I end by saying I am very interested and please do not ignore my inquiry.

In the last month I have sent 6 inquiries and received only two responses and one response ended in a sale. So from 6 domains one was what I would call a great transaction and the other one at least an attempt for a sale.

That said, I have a tendency to send the inquiry at least twice and this month I send the following to 4 of my inquiries. that failed to respond.

Hello. I made several attempts to start dialogue to purchase domain.com and have received no response from you. I stated both times that I was very interested in the domain and would appreciate either a call or email back. At this point I will terminate any negotiation on this domain and wish you well in your endeavors. That said, I was very interested in your domain and it is your loss not to have responded. As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf.

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Ever think perhaps you might be bothering the person? Why would he/she have to respond to you? If it's a serious name they probably get many emails.

•••
This was kind of an odd thread. I probably wouldn’t have included the “poor business practices” bit, but in a market where, e.g., LLLs are selling from $9,000 to well into six figures, how are people supposed to initiate a purchase discussion, especially when there’s no price listed anywhere and appraisals are often a crapshoot or pure B.S.?

•••
This was kind of an odd thread. I probably wouldn’t have included the “poor business practices” bit, but in a market where, e.g., LLLs are selling from $9,000 to well into six figures, how are people supposed to initiate a purchase discussion, especially when there’s no price listed anywhere and appraisals are often a crapshoot or pure B.S.?

You do your due diligence and make your first bid at least $9k and not the $1 that seems to be the favorite price for would be buyers.

•••

Was two words

Guess what they were?

"F*ck You"

Lol You asked for it ... hahaha
By "As a domainer myself I feel this is very poor business management on your behalf."

•••
I think f u response is uncalled for. Not good for business anyway you look at it, but responding to stupid emails " how much is your domain?" is HUGE waste of time. They should just ignore your NON offers. Next time you make an offer , do not to waste everyone's time and make an OFFER instead of NO Offer email.

•••
I think f u response is uncalled for. Not good for business anyway you look at it, but responding to stupid emails " how much is your domain?" is HUGE waste of time. They should just ignore your NON offers. Next time you make an offer , do not to waste everyone's time and make an OFFER instead of NO Offer email.

I stupidly used to respond with a price with every inquiry even if their offer price $0-<$100 on domains worth 1k and up. Now I pretty much ignore all of these inquiries, or send an email that the domain is not available at that price. Depending on my mood. I don't have any place in my heart for lowballers anymore. As soon as I give them a price, I get the response, What? You must be crazy? Mostly the price is designed to evoke this response because they started the low-ball/high-ball game instead of offering a fair price for the domain.

For those that ask how much, without any mention of price, they can only get my email from the whois. Most end-users are not looking at whois records. I'm going to experiment sending a response along the lines, "What do you think?" To be followed up with the "this domain is not for sale at that price". and if they persist. Only then will I give them the high-ball price.

•••
I'm also going respond to the What? You must be crazy? emails along the lines of "now we have got the low-ball, high-ball prices out of the way. What is your real last price for this domain?" Then I can send them a What? You must be crazy?" email to any low-ball prices :)

Last edited:
•••
You do your due diligence and make your first bid at least $9k and not the $1 that seems to be the favorite price for would be buyers.

Why would anyone start bidding at $9,000 when LLL sales are actually happening at that price?

Last edited:
•••
Why would anyone start bidding at $9,000 when LLL sales are actually happening at that price?

This was mentioned as the lowest price for the worst LLL.com. Hence any LLL.com is going to go for $9k or higher.

Last edited:
•••
Some Chinese is spamming me this month and offering various Non-German .DE domains...
The most idiotic outbound I have seen for 10 years...

•••
Some Chinese is spamming me this month and offering various Non-German .DE domains...
The most idiotic outbound I have seen for 10 years...

Hope Springs Eternal :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back