Domain Empire

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Ms Domainer

I like alphahol.com, could do with some just now!

•••
"you have come to the best place on the Web to learn about dot City TLDs."

I see. So .london is no longer a gTLD its a dcTLD?

•••
•••
Alphabet is not the only .com they could have used they could have called this holding company almost anything and make sure the .com was purchased before briefing the public.

You don't name your company based on the domain. You acquire the domain based on your company name.

•••
@Felisk

A wise owl indeed. Still, the point of the discussion ("the internet melts") remains. The very fact that Google is using a .xyz domain can only invigorate the market.

I learned about it on a Twitter feed from Tech Crunch or someone like that, and what caught my eye was their description of abc.xyz as a "killer URL". They didn't say that without reason.

And I agree with that. Of course the fact that they use .xyz will impact the XYZ market and maybe other new gTLDs too. My point was just that if their name was something other than Alphabet, they wouldn't have used .xyz since it is a domain hack on purpose. XYZ couldn't get more lucky on this one lol.

•••
A wise owl indeed. Still, the point of the discussion ("the internet melts") remains. The very fact that Google is using a .xyz domain can only invigorate the market.
So .xyz has suddenly become "cool" now that Google is using one (along so many others, let's not forget) ? Domain extensions should get traction on their own merits, not through following the herd mentality. You like the TLD or you don't, but are you liking it just because of Google ? That doesn't make sense to me. It sounds very much like a fad, but we are used to it.

Domainers are funny, they want end users to buy their odd strings, but then they should lead by example and use one for a real-life business. Just try at least. But something tells me that for the most part they don't completely trust the proclaimed virtues of their merchandize. How do you call people who won't take their own medicine ?

•••
You don't name your company based on the domain. You acquire the domain based on your company name.
Not true in the real world.

•••
Nice, congrats!

I also sold one yesterday and are still negotiating on another.

Were you contacted directly or were they up for sale on a site already? Just curious.

•••
Not true in the real world.
Yes it's the case for many startups, and that's why brandable marketplaces like BB exist, but I meant for companies the size of Big Google, they generally call them whatever they want, and see the domain name stuff after. At least that's what I think.

•••
So .xyz has suddenly become "cool" now that Google is using one

Absolutely. Rightly or wrongly. That's pretty much the whole point here.

I find the internet/technology is all about herd mentality otherwise iPhones and smartwatches would never be so popular!

•••
Were you contacted directly or were they up for sale on a site already? Just curious.

I've made my own landing pages and in both cases I got contacted through a contact form from these.

•••
This Insane Post Reveals the Secret of Google rebranding strategy with the christening of "Alphabet"

ClickBaitNews
~ By #ClickBaitPro
(No I don't own any such Domains)

RELEVANCE: The relevancy of Abc.xyz to the term "ALPHABET" definitely played a major role. But IMO it is a one-off thing as far as the extension is concerned. For this particular case "Relevancy" was the most significant deciding factor. It doesn't means just about ANY.XYZ will become valuable. There is no generic model. It's always case by case or Name by Name for the perfect combination!!!

PUBLICITY STUNT: Google purposely started this whole abc.xyz fracas. Loads of people got into the conversation just to talk about abcxyz..... I personally don't prefer non-niche nTLD, I would rather build on a .co or .net over .xyz. But one word (i.e. Keyword.Keyword) NICHE extensions do have a future. nTLDs are here to stay!!!! Again it doesn't means nTLDs will wallop past .COM!!!!

nTLD EXPOSURE: The key point here is Google promoting nTLD. There is no denial this will have a significant impact on consumers mindspace, which is their main purpose. It's just the beginning, more will follow soon, specially Entrepreneurs!!!

THE VERDICT:

The coming of nTLD adoption by Entrepreneurs!!!

.COM is and will stay the KING for a long time!!! Specially one word .COM will keep on Climbing in value!!!

2 keywords .com will have to tough it out with their Keyword.Keyword counterpart!!! This is where the main fracas currently lies between the two variety of Domainers : Brandologists Vs Spot Speculators. Speculators will continue to speculate but Young Entrepreneurs will go for a more Unique and Quirky Design approach for Branding!!!

~ "There are two kinds of Domainers Club, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there;)"

2words+nTLD "MAY" have some value but will have to be an UberPhrase (eg. BookMy.Show, MakeMy.Trip, InvestIn.Gold), else .COM will stay the prized one within the one word and three words category!

.XYZ holders, it's the perfect time to cash out!!!

Agreed!!! ~ "...XYZ couldn't get more lucky on this one lol"

•••
@Ms Domainer

I like alphahol.com, could do with some just now!

Ask and you shall receive:

Alphahol2.jpg

•••
So .xyz has suddenly become "cool" now that Google is using one (along so many others, let's not forget) ? Domain extensions should get traction on their own merits, not through following the herd mentality. You like the TLD or you don't, but are you liking it just because of Google ? That doesn't make sense to me. It sounds very much like a fad, but we are used to it.

Domainers are funny, they want end users to buy their odd strings, but then they should lead by example and use one for a real-life business. Just try at least. But something tells me that for the most part they don't completely trust the proclaimed virtues of their merchandize. How do you call people who won't take their own medicine ?
Actually, since I am developer first, domainer second, I usually try to get domains that I either want to develop or would develop. Sometimes I decide I have too many and sell the domains - other times I develop them. I am actually currently rebranding myself to a domain I found and have several other "brands" in the works... but then again, domaining is only secondary for me... :)

•••
If Android virtual keyboard replace .COM by .XYZ, the world will change :)

I remember saying the same thing with .tel

LOL

•••
•••
I remember saying the same thing with .tel

LOL

LOL, I remember those days. The .tel was even worse than the .mobi, at least you could get out of .mobi and sell it on but not so much with .tel. I wasted a few hundred bucks on that one!

•••
How many times have you read that Google test everything and base decisions on data. What do you reckon they are studying here?

Some people may be missing the deep numerological significance of .xyz. It isn't just the last word in domains, it is 999 on a traditional keypad with letters assigned to the numbers. And invert that and it reads 666...

It is clear that Google is dropping hints that the end time is near. Only the smartest people have figured it out!

j/k :)

•••
LOL, I remember those days. The .tel was even worse than the .mobi, at least you could get out of .mobi and sell it on but not so much with .tel. I wasted a few hundred bucks on that one!

Don't mention the .tel/war :laugh:

I wouldn't drop abc.tel if I had it now.

I wonder how much abc.xyz would be appraised for on namepros before google got their hands on it?

Last edited:
•••
Number check time - https://namestat.org/xyz

Before the announcement they were averaging somewhere in the +5,000 - 6,000 range

Then starting with the full day of Tuesday:

+12,713 - tuesday
+12,311 - wednesday
+ 8,410 - yesterday

Expected numbers. Numbers should be highest when announcement first comes out.

On the Tuesday, he said "The news hasn’t been bad for business, either: .XYZ normally gets 3,000 new registrants per day. Today, Negari said last night that they were on track to get 10,000."

So with that statement, he was saying plus 7000 more than usual. Do the math above where I posted they were getting 5000-6000 before announcement then got 12,713, so about 7,000. Same numbers.

So yesterday about 2,000 - 3,000 more than normal, so almost back down to normal levels.

Last edited:
•••
Actually X Y Z is a known tactful short expression for "examine your zipper" to tell people they are showing too much and showing the wrong stuff.

Just big G's way of telling everyone to zip up.

So what does A B C stand for?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Here’s what happened: On Monday afternoon, I was in my office — a little drunk on Chardonnay as I usually am on Monday afternoons — looking out the window at my vast Google empire and watching Glengarry Glen Ross. And you know that part where Alec Baldwin does that big speech about “always be closing” — you know, the famous part? Well, that’s when it hit me: “ABC! A — Always. B — Be. C — Changing. The name of your company! To something that has to do with ABC … uh … the ALPHABET! Man, I am so smart! Alphabet is such a better name than Google, which, let’s face it, is just a jibberish word I made up of random Alphabet letters OH MY GOD this is full circle! I am going to make a huge announcement about my perfect new company name to the entire world literally right now!”

So I did. I held the press conference. Right then and there. I went out in front of all those people, drunk on my own power and an oaky California Chardonnay with Alec Baldwin’s velvety voice whispering in my ear. Sergey was definitely like “WTF dude” but he went along with it anyhow, God bless his little Russian soul. I stood in front of everyone and very heroically yelled, “WE ARE ALPHABET!

And then there was silence from the crowd. But not the type of breathless anticipation silence that happens right before everyone freaks out and starts cheering in a movie. Nope. This silence was the type that cuts right through your Kongsgaard Estates 2010 Chardonnay haze and sobers you up real quick. And that’s when I realized I had forgotten the #1 Google Rule: ABG. A — Always. B — Be. G — Googling. Always be Googling! Always be Googling!

http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/d818546bc7/larry-page-whoops-i-forgot-to-google-alphabet

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back