Dynadot

news Google uses a .XYZ for their new parent company Alphabet - the Internet melts

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:
What is Alphabet? Alphabet is mostly a collection of companies. The largest of which, of course, is Google . . . companies that are pretty far afield of our main Internet products [will be] contained in Alphabet instead.
Alphabet Inc. will replace Google Inc. as the publicly-traded entity and all shares of Google will automatically convert into the same number of shares of Alphabet, with all of the same rights. Google will become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Alphabet. Our two classes of shares will continue to trade on Nasdaq as GOOGL and GOOG.
Don’t worry, we’re still getting used to the name too!

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I disagree with this, I think abc.xyz is more suitable than abc.com to showcase googles Alphabet parent company.

This is not the only example and I am not the only person who thinks this way, nor will I be the last.

It is shortsighted and narrow minded to disregard the millions of new options now available to businesses but I expect this from domainers who are stuck in the past.

I may have been a bit strong on my words. What I disagree with is the notion of dot com becoming less valuable, I do not see that at all. The other gtlds are there as options and I have said in the past that each name should be judged on its merits... in that sense abc.xyz fits the brand.

•••
Any sensible person knows that if a name is available is dot com then that is the number one choice, period.

And if it's not, .xyz is the second choice (for Google anyway). Not bad for a new domain. Highly encouraging in fact.

•••
Who's going to pay big money for a .com when they can get the same name on a new domain for reg fee?

•••
I disagree with this, I think abc.xyz is more suitable than abc.com to showcase googles Alphabet parent company.

This is not the only example and I am not the only person who thinks this way, nor will I be the last.

It is shortsighted and narrow minded to disregard the millions of new options now available to businesses but I expect this from domainers who are stuck in the past.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, you joined the forum 9 years ago. You would pick a abc.xyz over abc.com if given the choice and then you mentioned millions of options, what?

Who's going to pay big money for a .com when they can get the same name on a new domain for reg fee?

That argument has been gone over to death as well. If you want those real premium keywords, it'll cost you. Most smart businesses also think long term and get it right from the start. You can get good names for a few thousand or do what a lot of startups do, make something up. You'll see a lot of that kind of thinking in lists like this:

http://dngeek.com/2015/08/newly-funded-startups-and-their-domain-names-week-33/

Last edited:
•••
I may have been a bit strong on my words. What I disagree with is the notion of dot com becoming less valuable, I do not see that at all. The other gtlds are there as options and I have said in the past that each name should be judged on its merits... in that sense abc.xyz fits the brand.

If a .com domain loses type-in traffic to new gTLDs then that .com will also lose value.

eg. nycyoga.com looses type-in traffic to nyc.yoga

•••
For me, only reason Google used it, because it's kind of decant domain hack for alphabet. I can't see how this suddenly is giving any significant value to any keyword .xyz?

If you ask me, even putting .com aside every other nTLD at least make a sense (and personally I barely like any of them), but what the hell would you tell some one, if they would ask you what is this .xyz. What does it stand for?

•••
I can't tell if you're joking or not, you joined the forum 9 years ago. You would pick a abc.xyz over abc.com if given the choice and then you mentioned millions of options, what?

If it was my job to seek a domain for googles new parent company Alphabet the answer is Yes I would pick abc.xyz over abc.com.

Do you think I would get the sack?

•••
Till the time Google launch abc.xyz, they said no reputed companies would go for ngtlds. Now arguments are its just abc.xyz not google.xyz or abc.xyz is just landing page or its domain hack etc...What next?

OK whatever it is...something is better than nothing...some big companies are using ngtlds for whatever reason....which is a good sign for new gTlds...and the growth is not going to end here...

You will see more growth coming in....how you saw from last year...

•••
If it was my job to seek a domain for googles new parent company Alphabet the answer is Yes I would pick abc.xyz over abc.com.

Do you think I would get the sack?

I don't think you would get the sack at all, because when it comes to a parent company website domains really don't matter.

I think that's what was exhibited in this situation.

Alphabet.com - taken & in use by a large company.
ABC.com - taken & in use by a large company.

Since XYZ has to do with the alphabet, it only makes sense to choose this domain for them.

But that's where all of this ends... and it's where all gTLDs end.

It was one of the few good XYZ domains, and it was restricted by the registrar in hopes of a situation just like this. Just like with every other public gTLD registry.

There comes a point where the size of your bank account does not matter, and you will not be able to obtain the .COM domain name you want... so you must go to the next option. If anything this is a cue for all companies to acquire their .COM's NOW before another company owns the one they want... and will not sell.

gTLDs may be the future, but its a future where bad .COM's are no longer created, and the bottom barrel closeout .COM's of today are acquired for no less than $5k.

I'm okay with that future.

•••
...they would ask you what is this .xyz. What does it stand for?
That's the point, it doesn't 'stand' for anything. Why does it have to stand for anything? No one now cares what the other legacy extensions stand for. Who really goes or doesn't go to a website based on what extension is used and what it 'means'? People don't expect a .tv domain to stand for a television themed website only, any more than they expect every .me to bring them to a site only about Montenegro, or a .net bringing only sites of Network companies. Same with all the well used extensions, .com, .org, .cc, co, etc, etc, etc. What most extensions 'stand for' in reality...is nothing. Average web surfers don't even know what their intended meaning actually is, and simply don't care. The popularity and universal usage of an extension, is what makes them valuable, and in demand. But a good keyword, with one of the fore-mentioned extensions and a few other none-meaningful extensions, does/will have a desirability of more than reg fee value to 'someone'.

•••
Who really goes or doesn't go to a website based on what extension is used and what it 'means'?

People actively prefer websites using the domain of their country or possibly language because that identifies a service they can actually use.

I know people that only click on .co.uk results when they shop online.

•••
People actively prefer websites using the domain of their country or possibly language because that identifies a service they can actually use.
I know people that only click on .co.uk results when they shop online.

One must remember the fact that in the past many American websites have dismissed use of their own .us over .com

The earliest adopters of internet has a head start on the rest of the world when it comes to registration of .com domain names at the expense of most other nations. As we all know how important it is to be first to register domains (first come first serve) .com as somewhat overlapped .us in terms of adoption.

Now it's a level playing field for most of the world particularly the first-world, so the introduction new gTLDs should have greater importance to most non-American nations.

Last edited:
•••
I'm seeing a lot of "Social Media Marketers" and registries jumping in on this news... but not many SEO's.

I think most SEO's are staying out of the conversation because they know exactly what most of us know, and have been saying the same things;

Domain hacks or clever temporary use are good, [keyword].gTLD with no meaning is bad. So essentially if you missed the domain during landrush, and it's a premium restricted by the registry, you are back to square one with the whole 'paying for a good domain' dilemma that was the "reason" this whole gTLD program was launched.

It's kind of sad and silly when you actually think about it.

I think what's missed in the conversation is that Google used their "clout" to get ABC.XYZ - after all it was a registry restricted domain. I wonder how much the registry would have sold the domain for if it wasn't Google calling.

The general public (and some new domainers) create this picture in their minds of Google just taking a trip over to the .XYZ registry and registering it, when that was not the case at all.

I feel sorry for those that are getting bamboozled into thinking bad gTLDs will be worth anything inside of a 10 year span. For those that have the information, and it's looking them right in the eye... well you can lead a horse to water, but sometimes a tree will fall on it.

Yes... I skipped the whole 'but you can't make them drink', because at this point we're way past the drinking and gTLD fanatics are just standing by the lake waiting for a tree to fall on them.

•••
If I were .xyz I would pay google to register a domain like abc.xyz, the biz they get from publicity will make up for any renewal fees that google might give you.

•••
•••
Multiple news outlets are reporting that "Google" has decided to change their parent company name to "Alphabet" and has launched it on the domain ABC.XYZ.

I have seen many companies that operate multiple businesses under one umbrella and also use terrible domains without ever intending to own the exact match .COM - but for Google, this move is surprising.

It’s a win for Daniel Negari and selling one of the few domains that the .XYZ registry is good for: the alphabet. The other being abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvw.xyz

I think Google summed it up by saying, "[we make] smaller bets in areas that might seem very speculative or even strange when compared to our current businesses.”

As this story unravels, I’m sure Mr. Negari will have a larger role to play within Alphabet, possibly even heading their .google extension when Google decides that we should all be using a .google instead of .COM.

Speculation for a speculative move.

From the announcement G is for Google:

Your thoughts?
I am not sure if even google can add any REAL value to names in that registry. I am mindful of the same talk when Apple bought Mobile.Me years ago

•••
I'm seeing a lot of "Social Media Marketers" and registries jumping in on this news... but not many SEO's.

I think most SEO's are staying out of the conversation because they know exactly what most of us know, and have been saying the same things;

Domain hacks or clever temporary use are good, [keyword].gTLD with no meaning is bad. So essentially if you missed the domain during landrush, and it's a premium restricted by the registry, you are back to square one with the whole 'paying for a good domain' dilemma that was the "reason" this whole gTLD program was launched.

It's kind of sad and silly when you actually think about it.

I think what's missed in the conversation is that Google used their "clout" to get ABC.XYZ - after all it was a registry restricted domain. I wonder how much the registry would have sold the domain for if it wasn't Google calling.

The general public (and some new domainers) create this picture in their minds of Google just taking a trip over to the .XYZ registry and registering it, when that was not the case at all.

I feel sorry for those that are getting bamboozled into thinking bad gTLDs will be worth anything inside of a 10 year span. For those that have the information, and it's looking them right in the eye... well you can lead a horse to water, but sometimes a tree will fall on it.

Yes... I skipped the whole 'but you can't make them drink', because at this point we're way past the drinking and gTLD fanatics are just standing by the lake waiting for a tree to fall on them.
You're exactly correct. The general public doesn't have the "inside" as Google had here but that said we were able to hand reg an excellent one word .xyz where the .com version has an Estibot (if you think Estibot is worth the time) of over $1million. Obviously we were simply lucky to find it but there are a few left-last I looked Furnish.xyz was avail. ( if anyone wants a good one) and at $8 we can hold one or two for 10 years to see what shakes out with Google and .xyz. but as I said-you're 100% correct.

•••
Like I said before, in some way its how you present your brand \ company.

Some companies that do not even have a property in London pay to use a virtual office address, so think of the best road names in London with your business address on there... very professional.

You cannot say why buy a com for xxxxx when you can buy a ??? for xx that is like saying why buy a house in Chelsea for £7million when you can buy a house in Downham for £160,000

Everything has a price and a market. You cannot make your own markets up just because you have a point of view.

•••
•••
I am not sure if even google can add any REAL value to names in that registry. I am mindful of the same talk when Apple bought Mobile.Me years ago
You could be correct-the only big difference here is that Apple didn't "control" the internet-Google pretty much does.

•••
You could be correct-the only big difference here is that Apple didn't "control" the internet-Google pretty much does.
Of course. Google controls search. They even bite into me for keyword vrgoGGle being translated into a search for vrgOOgle. It has changed just a little in the last 6 months or so. But the trend data stinks.
But being in the U.S., ...you know the folks that know nothing but dot com with the largest internet traffic making name space rough, I would say that until folks start to think anything.XYZ and actually type-it-in somewhere, it has no value no matter what....
...Should I mention youtu.be
Folks here (us) never herd of .be and could not tell you anything about it unless they are a domain'r.. I am sure that is not the same for folks in the EU.

Anyway, this is not my normal thread but I challenge anyone to show me a value in .info or .biz before you tell me to invest in some other TLD.

If google wants to own .xyz ... Let'm.
The whole point of opening up the TLD's was to allow IBM to have their own TLD -.ibm and JCPenny could have their own .JCP but it is a far cry from that now.

•••
•••
The TM boys at ABC need to sue Google

That ends xyz that fast

Google a public company is squatting on ABC's TM

•••

and at least .Me has meaning :) XYZ means absolutely nothing at all.

•••
Anyways, abc.xyz is now old news. People have gone back to not knowing and not caring about XYZ. I highly doubt that XYZ will ever again reach the climax that XYZ reached last week.

RIP XYZ

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back