IT.COM

Google Keyword Planner Changes

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SoundsGood

Established Member
Impact
The Adwords Keyword Planner now only shows obtuse ranges instead of a more accurate number, forcing you to make a campaign to see exact numbers. This is going to have an interesting impact on the domain industry, especially for people that use tools and that are sorting by those numbers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1-100
100-1k...
I dont like it... :)

•••
Is there another reliable and popular keyword search tool domainers can rely on?
I have used Google Keyword Planner forever...

•••
Is there another reliable and popular keyword search tool domainers can rely on?
I have used Google Keyword Planner forever...

BuyDomains and the other big shops might be screwed for a couple days until something else pops up, or god forbid trying bings version.

Domain Panda try
MOZ
SEMRush

Last edited:
•••
Oh dear, just checked this morning and while i was happy they sorted out showing volume differences between singular and plural, the ranges are a joke. Estibot's search volume estimates should work for a while, but they were never entirely accurate to begin with.

•••
This sucks, I use KW planner everyday!

app.kwfinder.com/
this site works good but free only 5 searches a day and $12/mo for 100/day

Can anyone confirm that you can use Keyword planner like you used to if you have active campaign running?

•••
•••
After doing some research. It looks like if you are spending zero or tiny on adwords then you will get this bs version now.

Talked to support on the phone twice and they deny they are doing this. lol

•••
•••
The changes to Google Keyword Planner are bad news for open web / transparency and really trouble me as someone who has used this tool almost daily for many years. Now, only companies that spend money with Google are able to access resources that should be open to the public. Google has the money and infrastructure to support transparency. However, they consistently choose to do the wrong thing. It's a shame that the only people out there trying to keep Google honest are less than savory characters like Julian Assange (WikiLeaks). The brutal truth is that Google uses the government to abet it's monopoly. And the US Government uses Google to spy on people and restrict information. There is no hidden agenda for Google. They are a purely greedy.

•••
Why should it be open to the public? They're a business, it's their data. It's their choice if, how and who to share it with.

•••
Can anyone with an active Adwords campaign please let us know whether you see the data as it was before the change?

•••
•••
•••
I agree it is their data and they can decide how to share it. BUT....

OPEN LETTER TO GOOGLE
It irks me that Google earns hundreds of dollars a day, every day, from my efforts but somehow that isn't enough. In any other business, a customer contributing say $100,000 to the bottom line would be a valued partner.

The recent changes in the volume data/trends search are incredibly shortsighted and insulting to those of us that work full time to support Google's core advertising business.

I suppose the consensus guesstimate is that by offering me less free and more vague information that I will somehow be convinced to create a funded campaign. I don't know if funding an account would work to provide me with the detailed search results I saw up until a few weeks ago.
But since I already pay my fair share I will never fund an account and therefore- I won't know.

There is an AdSense ad on the homepage of our WatchCloseouts.net site. The money Google earns from that should be sufficient to support my minimal AdWords research habit.

But we also own 1000+ parked domains - the majority of which deliver Google rendered ads. We earn thousands per month from parking and our thousands only represent a tiny sliver of the revenue share. So I can only imagine how much Google earns from our domaining efforts.

I (and thousands of parking investors) use the Adwords Keyword Planner for research to help make informed decisions about domains to purchase.
Google makes obscene amounts of money from parking all the while maligning the concept and doing everything possible to alienate parking investors and treat us as poorly possible - while simultaneously happily accepting the revenue that contributes significantly to Google's bottom line and share price.

If I had a direct relationship with Google as opposed to one managed by the parking companies - I might be able to quantify our contribution and complain to my account rep - but I don't. So I can't.

On behalf of the thousands and thousands of faceless parking investors that collectively earn Google, hundreds of millions of dollars....PLEASE, pretty please with sugar on it....bring back the detailed volume data/trends reports so we can get back to the job of making informed parking domain decisions that make us and Google more money.

Sincerely,
Jeff Weller
Dunnellon, FL USA

•••
•••
I don't know where the cutoff is, I manage several client accounts.

Do you have any experience or opinion on kwfinder.com ?

Thank you

•••
•••
Unless they changed it, kwfinder was using the Adwords API. So their data should match AKP.

•••
Unless they changed it, kwfinder was using the Adwords API. So their data should match AKP.

Oh ok so then that should be fine, do you think the paid version worth it ?

•••
I never really used it. I know if it from over the summer when AKP data went off the rails for a while. I was evaluating alternatives. That one looked good because it was the only one with geolocation ... then I realized it was just using the API.
If its still using Google's API, it should be fine, and the paid version is pretty cheap, as I recall... certainly costs less than keeping an active Adwords campaign.

•••
So today I see this:
To use Keyword Planner, you need to have at least one active campaign. If you have an active campaign and are still seeing this message, try reloading Keyword Planner in a few minutes.

I can't even use it for the ranges now. But I have an old campaign I can activate and set the bids at like $0.05 so that It won't get shown and then I should be able to use it.

edit:
I just refreshed it and it works without active campaign, but still just the ranges.

Last edited:
•••
You need an active campaign and they may still show ranges if you have a minimal daily budget or spend.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back