IT.COM

news Bye Bye Precise Google Keyword Planner for Non-Spenders...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
Google officially throttling Keyword Planner data for low spending AdWords accounts
Not a big AdWords spender? You may notice a lack of data in your Keyword Planner account.
Earlier this week, some marketers noticed that Keyword Planner data was displaying ranged data instead of precise search volume. The ranges were wildly broad, with results like “100K–1M” and “1M+.” Some wondered whether this was merely a glitch or if this was a calculated measure that favored higher-spending AdWords advertisers. Today, Google confirmed the latter.

http://searchengineland.com/google-...ner-data-low-spending-adwords-accounts-255795

It's deplorable how Google takes on the Facebook's footsteps. What do you guys think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
google stinks its hard to rank for anything anymore not worth the effort.

•••
Deplorable is an understatement mate..... but I guess it's typical of them.

•••
I've been expecting and waiting for this to happen for a long time.
They get nothing out of SEO companies viewing and using this data and want to cut them and others out from accessing their free data.

Not a surprise, just didn't think it would take as long as it did for them to limit access.

•••
What's bad is limiting data for low spend Adwords customers - I'm not sure where they draw the line, but they're probably trying to lock out people who would get an account just to use the data..Oh well, there's always Bing...
If they're so against free data use, they should just set up pricing tiers and be done with it.
google stinks its hard to rank for anything anymore not worth the effort.
Not necessarily, but the bar has been raised considerably in the last few years.

•••
Google just makes it harder and harder for organic ranking. The keyword planner should provide accurate info for all, it may help people to decide to spend more once they analyze accurate information.

•••
This doesn't make organic ranking harder, just more of a pain to decide what to target. But stinks for small biz Adwords customers if they only get partial data. When you're targeting local towns, 10 searches vs 100 searches makes a difference.
They never liked people using it for SEO. The API terms used to made you swear on your firstborn that anything you built that used keyword data lookups would have a list of other adwords functions included in it.

•••
I've been expecting and waiting for this to happen for a long time.
They get nothing out of SEO companies viewing and using this data and want to cut them and others out from accessing their free data.

Not a surprise, just didn't think it would take as long as it did for them to limit access.

Me too.

It just proves that Google is evil and not to mention, Greeedy... (with capital G). But then again, aren't we all...hehehe

•••
Not like its a huge loss I mean there data is off on some phrases. alot of times plural shows same as non plural.

•••
I once read the only real Seo is called ........Adsense

•••
Not like its a huge loss I mean there data is off on some phrases. alot of times plural shows same as non plural.
There's now a fix and a workaround for the "bucketing" that started back in June. (If youre not stuck with the limited data)
If you're looking for local search volume (meaningful for local businesses), afaik the only other tool that geotargets is Bing, and they aren't as granular. But I manage Adwords accounts with enough spend that so far I have no data restriction.

•••
I still don't see any limitations, and i havent spend a dime there in like 5 years.

•••
There's now a fix and a workaround for the "bucketing" that started back in June. (If youre not stuck with the limited data)
If you're looking for local search volume (meaningful for local businesses), afaik the only other tool that geotargets is Bing, and they aren't as granular. But I manage Adwords accounts with enough spend that so far I have no data restriction.

I haven't spent cash with them in probably 4 years yet they have no restrictions on me yet.

•••
Yeah I was kinda pissed of about that as well....

In typical fashion they simply do whatever the hell they want and couldn't really give a crap about how it impacts people. Scary when u have a company with that sort of attitude that is branching out and dominating other business sectors as well...

Kinda Smells like e-corp from Mr Robot :)

•••
Sad but expected.
I have been waiting for this to happen for years now so no surprise whatsoever.

I predict that in a few years time max SEO results will be a thing of the past or as good as, and only those that pay in one way or another will get serious exposure in the search results. It's going that way anyway with many results showing paid shopping listings, ads, google's own products/services etc. pushing organic down below the fold.

In short expect things to get worse.

•••
Yeah Deez..

Guess it's time to go register those googlesucks.com domains...

Sure that one in particular was taken years ago... :)

But with all the new extensions got to be plenty of OPPORTUNITIES out there.. :)

•••
Yeah Deez..

Guess it's time to go register those googlesucks.com domains...

Sure that one in particular was taken years ago... :)

But with all the new extensions got to be plenty of OPPORTUNITIES out there.. :)

Hhahhaah as tempting as that maybe.....I think they would probably come down on us like a sledge hammer for using their TM and a few defamation law suits as well...lol.

They could also probably go ahead and sandbox all my sites and ban my adsense account....hahahah

•••
Dang Deez...!!

U think they may try to Strong Arm U...!! :-o

The old Sandbox Deal...!! Not Nice..!!! :-o

How bout The Rico Act.. Does that apply here.. Conspiracy to commit something or other against innocent people...

Right... There's always those "Class Action Lawsuits"...!! Denying essential life supporting information to the masses for solely reason of profits..

Something like That... B-)

•••
Dang Deez...!!

U think they may try to Strong Arm U...!! :-o

The old Sandbox Deal...!! Not Nice..!!! :-o

How bout The Rico Act.. Does that apply here.. Conspiracy to commit something or other against innocent people...

Right... There's always those "Class Action Lawsuits"...!! Denying essential life supporting information to the masses for solely reason of profits..

Something like That... B-)

Hhahaah I think the best way to beat them is to team up with a crew like Anonymous :)

Hhaah

•••
Oh Yeah.. now that would be something...:laugh:

•••
Hi All,

Since my initial message which had a decidedly different point of view was inexplicably and most unfairly deleted :) I feel obligated to return it to it's original form

Title:... Laughably Petty.. Billion dollar Google won't give U accurate Keyword Planner results unless ads run..

Really too much to believe...

Maybe it's even Trillion Dollar Google, not really sure at this point..

Over the last few months there has been a gradual pulling back of info to Keyword Planner users unless you are currently running ads..

I have ads run in past, not presently, but logging in over the last weeks there have been more and more cut backs in the numbers they give you..

First I noticed singular and plural words returning the same results and other various things..

And logging in today they have really gone over the cliff, just giving ranges for terms, such as 10K - 100K..

Someone really ought to figuratively, slap these people upside their head... Of course not meant literally..

These people really need to get a life...!!

•••
The keyword planner was never meant for anyone but advertisers. What they're doing hurts small advertisers. I get it - they did it to keep people from running a micro-campaign to use the data, but...
It would be fairer to all if they just set a fee structure for it. You get better data from actually running a campaign than you do from that tool - they filter a lot of long tail data.
They do NOT restrict data in the API, and the singular/plural issue is gone, so building your own would be a workaround.

•••
But it makes NO SENSE to be change anything for something that what was not a problem...

Again, what in the world does an at least billion dollar care if people are using info that the public provides to them anyway from their searches..

Whether you can get better info or not doing it some other way isn't the point..

They're a bunch of cheap goofballs...

And that's the purpose in my message..

•••
I hear your frustration with the change - it sucks and nobody affected is happy with it (see the comments on their announcement.)
I wouldn't call it "cheap" more "exclusive." Splitting hairs maybe, but they only want to share their data with those who are advertising with them, not give it away to everyone. Their game, their toys.
If this were truly about money they WOULD charge for it.

Anybody know where the cutoff is? Smallest client I have at the moment is $60-$70/month and they're still getting the full data.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, really disappointed with Google here.

I suppose I can see why they don't want to make the exact data available to someone like me who just used Keyword Planner as a research tool and never actually spent money on ad campaigns.

Still, this really messes up a pretty valuable resource I used to help determine a domains value.

There is an insane amount of difference between a term with 10,000 monthly searches and one with 100K.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back