Dynadot

offers Google just offered me $300K! ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

Now, before you start thinking "GREAT!!!!", not so fast.

Here is my dilemma.

I regged an AdSense-related .COM domain about 6 months ago. I am not willing to divulge the domain right now, but it's a pretty damn good one.

I bought it and parked it at Fabulous in my account.

About 2 months ago, I got an offer through Fabulous for $100 by some random person named Mike (no last name given) who had a Gmail email account. I refused the offer as it is worth more than that to me, even though it's undeveloped. I'd rather just keep it an never get an offer for it to be honest with you rather than let it go for that little.

So anyway, tonight I got home and checked my email. Fabulous sent me notice that I go another offer for the domain. This is the info they gave me...

Offer Details
Domain: XXXXXXXX.com
Name: Rose Hagan
Email: [email protected]
Offering Price: $300000.00
Additional Comments: Google Inc.

Now at first, I thought, hey, it's obviously a bogus offer. I mean, not only is the price way too high but it seems odd that Google would want to buy a domain for so much money and contact me through Fabulous instead of by a more legit means like US mail.

But I thought that maybe Google did make me an offer for it but added too many zeros by accident. Maybe they meant to input 3000 or 300.

I checked out the email address ([email protected]) and it is the email address that Google uses in their whois for some domains they own. So it is in fact a Google email address.

My newest thought, though, is that some wise-a$$ decided to cause some trouble hoping that I would contact Google at the email address and then possibly get into legal trouble with them for attempting to accept an offer for an AdSense domain. Who knows? Could be. I did a search for Rose Hagan and found that she is the senior trademark counsel at Google.

As you may or may not know, Google owns the SM for AdSense but I don't think that they own full SM or TM for it since Adsense.com (an advertising agency) has been around way before Google AdSense was even publicly released. Whether I am right or wrong, I have no clue, just my speculation. If I am right, then they cannot easily bully the domain away from me as I could have registered it in relation to AdSense.com advertising agency, not Google's AdSense. I could be sorely mistaken, though.

So, if this were you, what would you do? Would you ignore it? Why?

Would you follow through and send the email to Rose Hagan at [email protected] even though it i smost likely not her direct email address? Why?

I just don't know what to do. While I know the price is unbelievable, something is telling me that I'd be a fool to follow through. However, the other part of me is saying I'd be a fool to NOT follow through. Hoping that some here might be able to help me figure out what I should do. The more I think about it, the more confused I get as what to do.

The more I think about it now, the more I think FOGEDDABOUDIT! but I would still like to hear from others on this for some good conversation if for nothing else. :)

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
TheLegendaryJP said:
If your poor who cares what you jump into. What can they take ? ....:lol:

I'm glad you brought that up.

I already answered this but allow me to answer it in full in hopes to teach someone else or be taught myself about something I may be wrong about. I am ont an expert, thi si sjust how I see it from what I have heard and seen myself.

The problem is that you ALWAYS have something to lose if you are an able-bodied member of your community, wherever that community is in the US>

The reason is becasue as long as you can work, you have something to lose. From what I have seen from other people I have meet in my life, if you lose a lawsuit and this involves you paying damages to the party that won the lawsuit, you would be forced to pay the other party by means of restitution. You will have this money deducted from your paycheck EVERY PAYDAY. I believe that there is a 20% max on how much they can take, but how would you like to have to get yet another tax taken out of your paycheck? 20%!!! EVERY PAYDAY!!! What if that sum you must payback is substantial. Like in the hundreds of thousands and more.

I know people that have to pay restitution. Well, I have know them in th epast, that is. They all deserved it, though. I mean, they were paying off large fines for offenses like drunk driving and demolishing a vehicle that is not yours but a "friend's" and/or things in that realm.

I may be wrong, but i bet that iven if you are ot paying fines, you can be held to pay off restitution for other things like TM infringement.

Could you imagine being poor, buying a domain name very innocently with no bad intent, getting sued for TM infringement or whatever, having to pay restitution to the state to slowly pay off the money you owe to some corporation that could have been way more lenient on you but chose not to because you just have bad luck.

20%

If I am right, and such a thing could ever hapen, I will play it safe until I know differently.

If anyone with creditbility can tell me that I am wrong and that "If you ain't got nothing they can't take jack" and why, I'd appreciate it. I would love to hear that I'm wrong about this whole restitution thingy.

•••
Always the big question, I got an offer is it real? What do I do next counter offer or deny.

Some simple questions, we first off you do not want to make it look like the name has any thing in common with Google, if that is your buyer and they have any kind of tm on the word "adsense".com

Second is have a plan for the domain in the reply.

I received your offer on a domain I have parked while I am developing my new website for the domain. (Preferably nothing to do with advertising.) We plan to have many creative things on our new site.

We had never even gave a thought as to selling the domain now before or in the future. But the offer you sent was really surprising as I would not know why a company would offer $300,000.00 for the domain name of a local bakery.

We are afraid your staff or other persons might be taking advantage of your email address and sending bogus offers to people all over the world, you might want to have your security team check this matter out.

If it is a real offer from your company, it is something I would have to think long and hard on, as getting this website up and running to support my local business has been a life long goal.

Sincerely,
The big Arse.

•••
I also got a laugh out of that although I didn't even laugh with my mouth closed.

That is the best approach ecollins. I don't think I could have written an example better myself.

•••
Googles version of the old 419!

If you agree to accept the offer and they ask you to wire them $10K as "good faith" money be leary...D-:

•••
But in all honesty, if you are really worried, do not reply or answer. If google wants the domain you will hear from them again.

I am sure you have your phone number on whois, and believe me they will waste 50 cents to call someone for something they are offering $300,000.00 and the offer will not come from the TM Counsel of the Company.

You will hear from Marketing president, or technology president.

I would laugh it off and if you continue getting offers then think about it.

•••
$300,000 :$: :$: :$:

Sounds like an offer too good to be true. Could be true... Adsense-related is an AWESOME name. But $300,000?! Adsense-related.com is NOT worth $300,000.

•••
Well, here's the deal, I think it is a good time to probably drop this for now.

It's most likely a hoax and for the record I would like to state that I DID in fact have a plan to develop it. Problem is, I am not that confident in myself about running such a site that when I realized that the other site was developed by an expert, I put it off. I was more excited that no other site like it existed more than excited that I could do a good job of it. I think I may be able to run such a site even though I am not an expert about AdSense, but now I have competition who is more capable than me or so it seems. At the time I regged the domain, the competition never existed. There was no dedicated site of it's kind. Or at least, i did not hear about it until after I registered the domain I registered. But I do think I remember seeing "pre-marketing" of the site before it ever actually went active after I bought my domain.

The only reason I parked it on Fabulous was because I was buying all my domains there for a while and I just parked everything I bought until I was ready to develop it, which was the case with my domain. Like I said, this is the only TM I own with a possible TM in it.

I'm quite sure this offer was bogus but it made me remember of my initial intent so I think I will soon go ahead and develop it shortly. Not sure it will be a hit given the competition, but they are fairly new so I may be able to get a fair amount of visitors without having to try to take some from his site. They are popular only because they are the only one of it's kind. But they aren't even as popular as this site as far as I can figure.

I think that a site of this type has a great potential for a community to learn and just simply communicate with each other. If it could be as awesome as this forum, it would be a hit. THis is a pretty great forum as far as all the bells and whistles as wel as the good moderation, I think. The interest in the service is pretty high within it's category and still worth developing so I think I will finally do something with the domain as I originally intended.

•••
Amazing.... this is thread of the month,
Hall of Shame version.
OR
The cheesiest B8 thread I seen since
"Is your son a computer hacker?"

This is not an issue, has never been an issue
and for this hoax to go 3 freeking pages is a
shame and embarassment to any member past
2 weeks.
Anytime you get an offer on a possible issue
name there is the chance it's a setup.
HOWEVER. as Ian pointed out in the most tactful
manner this thread deserves, you respond to the
letter with vague illusions.

badger said:
But if you are truly serious and want a way round this, you might want to consider reply using the words "may", "might be", "would consider", and labelling any communication to them with the words "without prejudice".

Thats where the thread should have ended until Thread starter heard back from Rose.

But truth is it should never have gotten even far enough to get a bush up Old Brocks arse. He tried to put it mildly twice...
This should have ended at: CALL MIKE AT FAB ....and this thread is either abandoned for lack of interest in this by now obvious hoax, or everybody want to be Ebooklovers new best friend.

kid5150
Darnit, I wanted to beat the above post to the wire.

Last edited:
•••
I've read the pages of this thread, and I'm surprised no one seems to have
checked if Rose Hagan's a real person or not. FYI, she's Google's senior TM
attorney. ;)

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck trying to find her contact details. How
about trying that email you mentioned or ask Google how to contact her?

•••
davezan said:
attorney. ;)

It could be a honey trap after all ????????? The plot thickens :hehe:

•••
TheLegendaryJP said:
Is she really? The plot thickens.

You must of typed that at the exact time I did !

LOL - great minds think alike OR fools never differ :)

This threads better than the never ending story

•••
davezan said:
attorney. ;)

Unfortunately I haven't had much luck trying to find her contact details. How
about trying that email you mentioned or ask Google how to contact her?
DZ, that was mentioned around P1.... no flame, bro... just to show how silly this really is. Perpetuated by n00bs seeing $300,000... and a starter loving the attention...and now of course by me again

•••
I don’t fancy continuing contributing nor do I desire to appear disparaging but I hope guests and future NP’ers don’t find this thread and imagine it’s an exemplar of our community.

I hope this doesn’t sound mean because that’s not how I intended it.

- Kimberly

•••
kid5150 said:
DZ, that was mentioned around P1.... no flame, bro... just to show how silly this really is. Perpetuated by n00bs seeing $300,000... and a starter loving the attention...and now of course by me again

Wow! Who are you to call me an "attention lover" and put down others? I did not post for attention but rather opinions and such.

Why do you bother to post at all if all you are going to spew out is resentment and hatred not offer anything of value to the thread.

Psychologically speaking, it would make sense that you are the one looking for attention and you can't stand it that it is not you who is getting it. So to cope with it, you accuse the person getting attention of being an attention monger.

Sounds like you have personal issues, sir/ma'am.

But am not going to argue with you. It's not worth anymore time already spent.

================================================

To the rest of you, think about it, even if it was never mentioned before in the thread until recently, since it is easy to find her name, it means nothing. Anyone can forge a name on an electronic form.

Last edited:
•••
•••
slaughterbeck said:
I don’t fancy continuing contributing nor do I desire to appear disparaging but I hope guests and future NP’ers don’t find this thread and imagine it’s an exemplar of our community.

I hope this doesn’t sound mean because that’s not how I intended it.

- Kimberly

I AGREE!!! and for that reason I have NO problems with RJ or anyone deleting this thread or moving it or whatever. It's pretty much dead and being taken over by those with alterior motives and resentment.

I, for one, am done with this thread for real. You know it's useless when the OP abandons his own thread.

Thanks to those who have PMed me and are still continuing to help me figiure some things out.

I'm out...

•••
Wow 144 replies in two days! Might be a recored. And now im part of it. lol

Anyways i would just wait it out for a week and see if you are contected again.

Spy

•••
Thread closed.

Have a Happy Halloween everybody.

8^X

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back