Dynadot

offers Google just offered me $300K! ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

Now, before you start thinking "GREAT!!!!", not so fast.

Here is my dilemma.

I regged an AdSense-related .COM domain about 6 months ago. I am not willing to divulge the domain right now, but it's a pretty damn good one.

I bought it and parked it at Fabulous in my account.

About 2 months ago, I got an offer through Fabulous for $100 by some random person named Mike (no last name given) who had a Gmail email account. I refused the offer as it is worth more than that to me, even though it's undeveloped. I'd rather just keep it an never get an offer for it to be honest with you rather than let it go for that little.

So anyway, tonight I got home and checked my email. Fabulous sent me notice that I go another offer for the domain. This is the info they gave me...

Offer Details
Domain: XXXXXXXX.com
Name: Rose Hagan
Email: [email protected]
Offering Price: $300000.00
Additional Comments: Google Inc.

Now at first, I thought, hey, it's obviously a bogus offer. I mean, not only is the price way too high but it seems odd that Google would want to buy a domain for so much money and contact me through Fabulous instead of by a more legit means like US mail.

But I thought that maybe Google did make me an offer for it but added too many zeros by accident. Maybe they meant to input 3000 or 300.

I checked out the email address ([email protected]) and it is the email address that Google uses in their whois for some domains they own. So it is in fact a Google email address.

My newest thought, though, is that some wise-a$$ decided to cause some trouble hoping that I would contact Google at the email address and then possibly get into legal trouble with them for attempting to accept an offer for an AdSense domain. Who knows? Could be. I did a search for Rose Hagan and found that she is the senior trademark counsel at Google.

As you may or may not know, Google owns the SM for AdSense but I don't think that they own full SM or TM for it since Adsense.com (an advertising agency) has been around way before Google AdSense was even publicly released. Whether I am right or wrong, I have no clue, just my speculation. If I am right, then they cannot easily bully the domain away from me as I could have registered it in relation to AdSense.com advertising agency, not Google's AdSense. I could be sorely mistaken, though.

So, if this were you, what would you do? Would you ignore it? Why?

Would you follow through and send the email to Rose Hagan at [email protected] even though it i smost likely not her direct email address? Why?

I just don't know what to do. While I know the price is unbelievable, something is telling me that I'd be a fool to follow through. However, the other part of me is saying I'd be a fool to NOT follow through. Hoping that some here might be able to help me figure out what I should do. The more I think about it, the more confused I get as what to do.

The more I think about it now, the more I think FOGEDDABOUDIT! but I would still like to hear from others on this for some good conversation if for nothing else. :)

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
300k.. sounds completely bogus to me. I'd accept through Fabulous and go from there...

•••
id take it, what do u have to loose???

u may look like a arse if it was spoofed, but if its real......u kno, dont forget about me

•••
scrsteven said:
300k.. sounds completely bogus to me. I'd accept through Fabulous and go from there...

Everyone keeps saying to "accept the offer through fabulous" but I cannot find anywhere within my account to "accept this offer through Fabulous". Fabulous does not work like SEDO you guys. At least I don't think it does. Please clue me in if I am wrong.

When you get an email from fabulous indicating that someone has made an offer for your domain, that's it. If you hit reply to the message, the return address shows as the potential buyer's email, not fabulous' email address. I don't think Fabulous is interested in getting involved in a sale unless it is a real and substantial offer.

I will play it safe and stick to my original plan when I bough the domain. Develop it.

Last edited:
•••
EbookLover said:
Everyone keeps saying to "accept the offer through fabulous" but I cannot find anywhere within my account to "accept this offer through Fabulous". Fabulous does not work like SEDO you guys. At least I don't think it does. Please clue me in if I am wrong.
I can’t understand why you haven’t contacted Fabulous yourself. With 300K on the table (false or not) you will receive all the assistance you’ll need.

•••
EbookLover said:
Wow. This is funnier & more interesting than I thought it would be.

And to add to the story, now we have a flaming badger with a thorny bush shoved up his arse. How much more interesting can this get?!!!!!!!!!

-One domain trader whose full of s*
-A guy with a fixation with all things google
-The same guy who proffers advice about TM's to other domainers yet plays dumb himself
-A complete search of the fabulous inventory and not a sniff of anything "adsense" related http://www.fabulousdomains.com/index.htm
-A digruntled badger who smells this kind of BS from a mile off

To be continued...

Now id have subscribed if youd written that....

•••
slaughterbeck said:
I can’t understand why you haven’t contacted Fabulous yourself. With 300K on the table (false or not) you will receive all the assistance you’ll need.

When did I say I did not contact fabulous? I meean, I went to bed last night, but I did get up today and do things.

Last edited:
•••
If nothing else, this thread might generate 300K worth of NP for everyone, if it continues.....

•••
•••
Google has a long history of taking domain names to UDRP disputes (search Google here). While I hope I'm wrong, it looks to me like someone is having a little fun at your expense.

•••
-RJ- said:
Google has a long history of taking domain names to UDRP disputes (search Google here). While I hope I'm wrong, it looks to me like someone is having a little fun at your expense.

I agree with you 100%, RJ.

But as far as "at my expense", not really. No hair off my back.

At the very least it made for a great and funny thread with the exception of one wild animal with a thorn bush up his arse.

And as someone else brought up, it is interesting to see what others say they would do in such a situation. It's really is a learning experience.

•••
Well if I were in your position I would do what I can do contact them and see if it's real. If it's real what would you do though? Would you sell for that 300k?

•••
I was just thinking. Maybe it was Badger that sent in the bogus offer for my domain?

Last edited:
•••
EbookLover said:
At the very least it made for a great and funny thread with the exception of one wild animal with a thorn bush up his arse.

Sure did make for a funny thread....

btw, if you get to sell it to google heres a domain you might like to spend $6 of your $300,000

nosensetalk.com

Bless, everyone loves a chancer....

Actually, did i mention, i just got a mail from Bill Gates asking if id like to sell "my-brow-is-soft.com" for $500,000. What do you think i should do guys, im so confused??? He says if i want to proceed, he'd like an independent appraisal first. He says fastdomainsales are quite good...... :red:

Last edited:
•••
"Occupation:
kindergarten web design "

When I stop laughing, I will post why it was so funny. LOL LOL LOL.

Last edited:
•••
This is getting slightly childish now. And when i'm the mature one in a conversation, you know some terrible thing has happened.

•••
Once the discussion turns to prickly plant-life being forcefully inserted into someone's posterior, I start to get a bit worried about the direction of the thread.

Let's all stay friendly please. :)

•••
This thread just jumped the shark!

The producer better bring in some new writers or it may get canceled during sweeps.​

•••
And best keep this thread quiet everyone as google will be kicking themselves post purchase when they discover that a simple search of the domain (they just bought for $300k) would have found it posted for sale all over the internet for a measily $65......

Id love to see the look on their faces when they find that out ..?? :oops:

Maybe when they all sat around recently during one of their brain storming session, one google exec said:

EXEC 1 "shoot, how can we search out information on this domain we want to buy??"

EXEC 2 "ummm, ive heard someone mention a thing called a 'search engine' before?"

EXEC 1 "nope, means nothing to me, offer the guy $300k"

•••
That made me laugh but not enough to make me open my mouth. When dealing with me it's somewhat funny if that reaction is applied. An open mouth sound-producing laugh is what you want to go for.

•••
Once again, why is the .net available???? If google wanted your .com they would have swiped the .net while trying to negotiate with you.

•••
.net is worth less obviously

•••
Rip-off

I think you are getting low-balled. I would counter at $1 million and see what they say.

•••
SKG said:
Once again, why is the .net available???? If google wanted your .com they would have swiped the .net while trying to negotiate with you.

Not neccessarily. The .NET variation is pretty much worthless without the .COM.

It's general consensus the offer was fake anyway.

•••
Just reply to the email and ask if there is an offer from them without including your domain.

•••
Yeah it isn't very difficult in my opinion. They offered a legitimate offer so...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back