IT.COM

new gtlds Google bought X.Company (and moved from SolveForX.com to it)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Al Marri

Alphabet.companyTop Member
Impact

Hello everyone

Google bought X.Company from the first owner was Chinese person so Google use that name for X project .

X.Company

image.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, sales are the goal right? So it shouldn't be "or not". And the Coca-Cola reference means nothing, since there are many more companies that failed. And if I used those as an example, that wouldn't matter either because we're just talking about the .company extension. Also, earlier you said something about how many .com were sold in first 10 years. When they first came out, you couldn't use them for websites since browsers didn't exist yet, there were no sites back then.

You should look at .company sales (lack of really), it's been around pushing 3 years now.

You should look at keywordcompany.com sales.

Study the market. Good luck.

not should
could is a better advice

still you are not the measure of all things :xf.wink:

•••
not should
could is a better advice

still you are not the measure of all things :xf.wink:

Should is better, you don't have to tho. Maybe just wing it, who cares about the market. Then people can tell stories of pet rocks and how they made money, therefore (insert random new gtld) will be a success.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
thecompany.com was sold for $37,500 USD in 2013

so my THE.COMPANY looks very good. :xf.wink:
Comparing apples to oranges: "the .com sold for $$$$ therefore my new gTLD domain is worth at least $$$".
It doesn't work like that. And many sales are one of a kind.

The real question is, are .company domains selling at all ?

•••
Comparing apples to oranges: "the .com sold for $$$$ therefore my new gTLD domain is worth at least $$$".

they are ...

•••

Whether something is selling or not depends on a variety of different variables. .COM has had decades of use and is a fully developed TLD. .Company has been around for less than 5 years. So your right that you can't compare them but its very clear to see that one is more efficient than the other. Every sale is one of a kind and you continue to make the argument that sales in the gtld are flukes, without ever knowing the risk appetite, tendencies and attractiveness of the name to the buyer, this kind of thinking is wrong. With your logic every ngtld sale is a fluke/defensive registration and you would only come to that conclusion with a very rigid and unyielding way of thinking. It's high time you open your mind and actually research this ngtld rather than provide this thread with a baseless and uninformed commentary.

The real question is, will you continue to think inside the box?

Last edited:
•••
Whether something is selling or not depends on a variety of different variables. .COM has had decades of use and is a fully developed TLD. .Company has been around for less than 5 years. So your right that you can't compare them but its very clear to see that one is more efficient than the other. Every sale is one of a kind and you continue to make the argument that sales in the gtld are flukes, without ever knowing the risk appetite, tendencies and attractiveness of the name to the buyer, this kind of thinking is wrong. With your logic every ngtld sale is a fluke/defensive registration and you would only come to that conclusion with a very rigid and unyielding way of thinking. It's high time you open your mind and actually research this ngtld rather than provided this thread with a baseless and uninformed commentary.

good question

•••
Whether something is selling or not depends on a variety of different variables. .COM has had decades of use and is a fully developed TLD. .Company has been around for less than 5 years. So your right that you can't compare them but its very clear to see that one is more efficient than the other. Every sale is one of a kind and you continue to make the argument that sales in the gtld are flukes, without ever knowing the risk appetite, tendencies and attractiveness of the name to the buyer, this kind of thinking is wrong. With your logic every ngtld sale is a fluke/defensive registration and you would only come to that conclusion with a very rigid and unyielding way of thinking. It's high time you open your mind and actually research this ngtld rather than provide this thread with a baseless and uninformed commentary.

XYCOMPANY.COM domains are not selling that much. at best low 5 figures.

even if xy.company were better than xycompany.com they wouldn't be that successful.

•••
XYCOMPANY.COM domains are not selling that much. at best low 5 figures.

even if xy.company were better than xycompany.com they wouldn't be that successful.

I don't understand why people keep making assumptions. "They", "Shouldn't", "Wouldn't" ,"Can't" ...why not just do the research yourself? This was available to the general public in 2014, there isn't even a 5 year period of which you could analyze and make conclusions from. Its impossible to measure the success of a baby compared to a grown man. They have entirely different goals...one is just trying to learn how to walk and talk while the other is trying to stay relevant in society. Believe it or not, every product has a life cycle of efficiency. .COM is no different and we are hurdling towards the point at which it is no longer efficient in the global marketplace. That's not to say premium .COM's won't be relevant but people have to understand that NGTLD's(for the most part) are not some random thing that registrars decided to use to make money. It is the next economical step in the evolution of the internet. In an over-saturated market like .com there is declining marginal utility and very little choice in what to own/use for a business looking to go global, unless they want to pay top dollar. NGTLD's provide consumer choice and that creates more competition which reduces the prices of low quality/mediocre domains in every gtld both new and old. From cellphones to ice cream, the advent of consumer choice is what drove these markets to the next level and it is now happening with domains. If you don't prepare for this...you'll get left behind.

•••
I don't understand why people keep making assumptions. "They", "Shouldn't", "Wouldn't" ,"Can't" ...why not just do the research yourself?

everyone makes assumptions. What else can we do? You aren't making assumptions?

I did my research and that is why I came to the conclusion that nGTLDs will never be as valuable as a .com within the next 10 years and very likely beyond that.

In domains being the second best choice never paid well. Look up .net sales. Aside from a few ultra premium keywords they never did well. Premium keywords are for the most part reserved by the registries.

Either you are first or you aren't worth much. .com is first not because it is so great, it never was. It is first because it is the first choice.

With the Billions that have been spent on branding .com in the past 20 years, ngtlds will never become popular enough to be first, maybe theoretically 30 years from now but not within a timeframe that interests me.

It is the next economical step in the evolution of the internet. In an over-saturated market like .com there is declining marginal utility and very little choice in what to own/use for a business looking to go global, unless they want to pay top dollar. NGTLD's provide consumer choice and that creates more competition which reduces the prices of low quality/mediocre domains in every gtld both new and old.

that's why you will never get top dollar for your .company

Last edited:
•••

I did my research and that is why I came to the conclusion that nGTLDs will never be as valuable as a .com within the next 10 years and very likely beyond that.

In domains being the second best choice never paid well. Look up .net sales. Aside from a few ultra premium keywords they never did well. Premium keywords are for the most part reserved by the registries.

Either you are first or you aren't worth much. .com is first not because it is so great, it never was. It is first because it is the first choice.

With the Billions that have been spent on branding .com in the past 20 years, ngtlds will never become popular enough to be first, maybe theoretically 30 years from now but not within a timeframe that interests me.

I don't think you understand. Surface level arguments will never get you anywhere. The speed at which the internet is innovating and expanding enables things to develop a lot quicker than "30 years", we don't live in the stone age. Just this past 1.5 weeks there was just under 1 million NGTLD registrations so the growth at the moment is exploding. There is no "never" this kind of thing is inevitable, you just don't have the capacity to understand it and are making uninformed arguments to support your own deluded conception of how things are going to be. I have already provided highly reputable evidence suggesting the logical path towards the future of DNS, by the person who created the entire DNS system Paul Mockapetris, so you can thank him for warning all ngtld haters of the inevitable future.

In regards to whether or not I can get top dollar for my ngtlds. The NGTLD market will get flooded, making the great names you see in this thread and others appreciate more in value because they are in the top 1% of their respective registry. Scarcity increases value and when they are only a few hundred high level names for every ngtld , increased saturation will only bring their prices higher and those of lesser quality lower...thats just how things develop. I highly doubt you did proper research because if you did you would have also realized that increased internet penetration and economical growth in emerging countries coupled with the need to globalize businesses in those countries increases the attractiveness of NGTLD's over their own cctlds in comparison to .com which is a highly saturated market. In 5 years the internet will be completely different than it is now and in 10 years it will be even more dissimilar. Throwing out random numbers like "30 years" means you really don't understand how quickly things are moving.

Comparing .NET to NGTLDS is also highly illogical. Why compare something that doesn't make sense with 99.995% of keyword string domains(of course excluding names like Fishing.Net )? Just because its a legacy tld does not make it attractive. Work.Place will always be better than WorkPlace.net and same with Easy.Credit, Simple.Tax and the long growing list of others. When your selling physical products being first to market matters, however, when it comes to the internet, being first to innovate matters even more because the degree of effectiveness is on a much larger scale. Efficiency is what drives markets further and when something becomes obsolete, its not long before its thrown to the curb, just take a look at Yahoo for example, its a shadow of its former self because it failed to innovate. I'm not saying that will happen to .com but don't be surprised when your $10-$500BIN domains become worthless in a few years. NGTLD's will be cheaper for now there is no arguing that but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly they'll appreciate and maybe a bit saddened when you didn't do the research and get high quality names at the right time.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think you understand. Surface level arguments will never get you anywhere. The speed at which the internet is innovating and expanding enables things to develop a lot quicker than "30 years", we don't live in the stone age. Just this past week there was just under 1 million NGTLD registrations so the growth at the moment is exploding.

how many of these are NOT registered by Chinese speculators or protective registrations? 70% are parked.

About half of the regs are below $1 promotions. These are worthless.

these are for the most part not legit regs. if you are following the numbers you are flying blind.

What is better or not is not relevant. .co is better than .com or .net?

So? It is not as established that why it is not commonly used.

3 years since the launch and I still do not use one single website that uses a nGTLD.

Almost all are .coms... This will not change anytime soon.

Sure a small business or blog will choose a nGTLD over a crappy .com but these don't move the market.

Comparing .NET to NGTLDS is also highly illogical. Why compare something that doesn't make sense with 99.995% of keyword string domains(of course excluding names like Fishing.Net )

Actually .net makes as much sense a .com it's just not as popular.

It's not illogical.

.net = second choice
.whatever = wannabe future second choice

Second choices never sold for much. Domaining fact.

Everyone wants a .com first. If they have the choice between carinsurance.com and car.insurance and the price is the same they will always buy carinsurance.com

The money is in the first choice not the alternatives. No one pays big money for an alternative.

Sure you can peddle $400 dollar .whatevers and make up for the low prices with a high portfolio turnover but sooner or later the registries will price you out of this low-price game if there is money to be made.

I highly doubt you did proper research because if you did you would have also realized that increased internet penetration and economical growth in emerging countries coupled with the need to globalize businesses in those countries increases the attractiveness of NGTLD's over their own cctlds in comparison to .com which is a highly saturated market.

This will just reinforce the need for a global TLD like .com. .whatever is not localized well, it would need more foreign language extensions for that. There is no real market for these. They will never be able to offer enough options to be an attractive alternative for non-english language URL.

You can see this in China, an emerging country. They would rather pay millions for a .com instead of using their ccTLD or one of their local .whatevers.

India shows the same behaviour patterns, where it is either the ccTLD or a .com.

In reality .com is saturated since 2000 but this never lead to price increases or increased usage of .cc or .info quite the opposite.

Last edited:
•••
Industrial.Company taken by Eiben.Sk a Slovakia Company for Electric Motors and Metal Work

•••
Is Google taken Domain Name Siliconvalley.Company xD !?!?!?!

•••
•••
how many of these are NOT registered by Chinese speculators or protective registrations? 70% are parked.

About half of the regs are below $1 promotions. These are worthless.

these are for the most part not legit regs.

Since when is someone paying for something not legitimate? Capital has flown between the buyer/seller and registrar. Whether or not its being used is entirely up to who is in ownership. I mean honestly with your logic you could say that 90% of 4L, 5N .com sales are by Chinese speculators/ protective registrations. I wonder what percentage of .com registrations are not "legit regs".You can easily tell that the .com market is over-saturated maybe even supersaturated because speculators had to invent liquidity with 4L and 5N domains, these aren't "legitimate" they are parked and sold to the next guy for a set price based on the current market value of the CHIP. At this level it becomes an entirely illegitimate game because what company would use the domain wryw.com or 32372.com? Its the equivalent to making money out of thin air, its a mechanism that's been entirely manufactured by re-sellers and this is exactly what won't work with ngtlds. I get that around 70%(was at about 65% in OCT) of ngtlds are parked (around 18.5 Million/27million) and half of the regs are below $1 promotions(would like to get a source for that number) but all this does is increase the value of the less than 300k high level ngtlds like F.Company, Car.Company, Heart.Surgery, Easy.Credit, Rapid.Repair etc. Also it would be impossible to compute the true number of domains that are registered by Chinese speculators or made as protective registrations, its just not possible due to the obvious lack of information and doing so would be a violation of privacy...so unfortunately its not a relevant argument simply because it is something that cannot be quantified.

•••
Since when is someone paying for something not legitimate?.

if someone is buying a domain based on the concept of the greater fool theory it is not legit.

These type of names will invariably drop because they were not owned by end-users and have no long-term value.

Protective regs made by brands won't advance the cause either. They are zombies that inflate the zone but never result in usage.

Most regs that have been made so far were zombie regs. The numbers look good superficially but there is little usage that is the problem.

.mobi is another example of this. A lot of regs but in the past 10 years I have not used one single .mobi site.

I mean honestly with your logic you could say that 90% of 4L, 5N .com sales are by Chinese speculators/ protective registrations.

They are speculative but have a value that is above the registration cost. On average they will make more money than the renewals cost. That is why they will not be dropped.

5N .loan domains and that stuff does not have a value above registration cost, they are being held waiting for a greater fool to buy them. If that doesn't happen they will be dropped.

People are buying them because they HOPE that the market will want them in the future not because there is actual demand.

) and half of the regs are below $1 promotions(would like to get a source for that number)

If you go to namestat you can check the numbers for each TLD.

The ones with a lot of regs usually run these $1 dollar or less promotions which result in tons of regs(and spam).

.xyz have been to a large part built on this strategy and they have 6 million registrations.
.top have 4.5 million and used the same strategy.

Other extensions have copied this technique and got a lot of regs too. I wouldn't say that it is an understatement that about 50% of the nGTLD program is the result of cheap promotions.

In fact if you look into this you will see that a large part is toilet paper. It looks only good on paper.
In practice it is simply junk.

An extension like .bid gets 600k regs. We don't even need thousands of websites ending with .bid.

This has no value, no potential usage, nothing. It is however useful to scam domainers into thinking the world is buying heavily into the program.

Last edited:
•••

So since you have all the domain and internet answers...care to share your super premium .com domains that are stellar? Let's take a look?
I don't think you understand. Surface level arguments will never get you anywhere. The speed at which the internet is innovating and expanding enables things to develop a lot quicker than "30 years", we don't live in the stone age. Just this past 1.5 weeks there was just under 1 million NGTLD registrations so the growth at the moment is exploding. There is no "never" this kind of thing is inevitable, you just don't have the capacity to understand it and are making uninformed arguments to support your own deluded conception of how things are going to be. I have already provided highly reputable evidence suggesting the logical path towards the future of DNS, by the person who created the entire DNS system Paul Mockapetris, so you can thank him for warning all ngtld haters of the inevitable future.

In regards to whether or not I can get top dollar for my ngtlds. The NGTLD market will get flooded, making the great names you see in this thread and others appreciate more in value because they are in the top 1% of their respective registry. Scarcity increases value and when they are only a few hundred high level names for every ngtld , increased saturation will only bring their prices higher and those of lesser quality lower...thats just how things develop. I highly doubt you did proper research because if you did you would have also realized that increased internet penetration and economical growth in emerging countries coupled with the need to globalize businesses in those countries increases the attractiveness of NGTLD's over their own cctlds in comparison to .com which is a highly saturated market. In 5 years the internet will be completely different than it is now and in 10 years it will be even more dissimilar. Throwing out random numbers like "30 years" means you really don't understand how quickly things are moving.

Comparing .NET to NGTLDS is also highly illogical. Why compare something that doesn't make sense with 99.995% of keyword string domains(of course excluding names like Fishing.Net )? Just because its a legacy tld does not make it attractive. Work.Place will always be better than WorkPlace.net and same with Easy.Credit, Simple.Tax and the long growing list of others. When your selling physical products being first to market matters, however, when it comes to the internet, being first to innovate matters even more because the degree of effectiveness is on a much larger scale. Efficiency is what drives markets further and when something becomes obsolete, its not long before its thrown to the curb, just take a look at Yahoo for example, its a shadow of its former self because it failed to innovate. I'm not saying that will happen to .com but don't be surprised when your $10-$500BIN domains become worthless in a few years. NGTLD's will be cheaper for now there is no arguing that but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly they'll appreciate and maybe a bit saddened when you didn't do the research and get high quality names at the right time.
Your aptitude is stellar.

•••
if someone is buying a domain based on the concept of the greater fool theory it is not legit.

These type of names will invariably drop because they were not owned by end-users and have no long-term value.

Protective regs made by brands won't advance the cause either. They are zombies that inflate the zone but never result in usage.

Most regs that have been made so far were zombie regs. The numbers look good superficially but there is little usage that is the problem.

.mobi is another example of this. A lot of regs but in the past 10 years I have not used one single .mobi site.
.Mobi is a poor example, how can you compare that with keyword string domains? You can't there entirely different breeds. Its like looking at a minature pony compared to a young racehorse...one has the potential to get on the track and pay off the investment its owner has put into its development, the other...although it may have sincere intentions is more of a vanity buy than anything else at this point. I mean who would use EasyCredit.mobi over Easy.Credit....one is gold the other one is an aged lump of coal. The two things your arguing are relevant in .com as well so its not like zombie regs and a protective ownership are a new trend. This is what made high level .com's more valuable and it will do the same with NGTLDs.

•••
So since you have all the domain and internet answers...care to share your super premium .com domains that are stellar? Let's take a look?

I never talked about my domains being super premium. I am talking about why .com is so far the only investment grade extension in the world.(besides ccTLDs) This is not about individual domains being good or bad. It is about extensions that sell vs. unproven extensions that are being hyped...

You can have the most super premium keywords in the world but if you have the wrong extension that won't help you much.

It does not matter how great your Rolex replica looks if it is not the real deal. That is something that the market decides and it's very predictable what the market will do short term/mid-term.

Mobi is a poor example, how can you compare that with keyword string domains? You can't there entirely different breeds. Its like looking at a minature pony compared to a young racehorse...one has the potential to get on the track and pay off the investment its owner has put into its development, the other...although it may have sincere intentions is more of a vanity buy than anything else at this point.

most of the combos that are premium will be sold by the registries not domainers.

if you want to see how well keyword strings or niche extensions sell look at .tv, .travel or .xxx.

The market has already been tested for these. .tv almost went broke, interestingly.

Exact match .com are bread and butter deals for domainers but the majority of website traffic goes to non-exact match. These alone will not make a market popular. You select the few best examples. There aren't that many great ones. Most are registry owned.

An infinitely large number of them simply sucks and is overpriced.

The ones that are doing well so far are more neutral extensions with broader usage options (.online, .club etc.) True exact match .whatever are doing poorly despite frequently being shown as examples of a perfect domain that is superior to it's .com version.

They look great to the domainers that bought them because they see $$$ when looking at them.

Last edited:
•••
The speed at which the internet is innovating and expanding enables things to develop a lot quicker than "30 years", we don't live in the stone age.
Always the same worn-out argument, the Internet is changing fast, therefore new extensions will become valuable somehow. It's never been like that.

Just this past 1.5 weeks there was just under 1 million NGTLD registrations so the growth at the moment is exploding.
Just by the numbers they should be mainstream now. Obviously it isn't the case and looking at the numbers alone is misleading. After all .tk is the biggest ccTLD.

I have already provided highly reputable evidence suggesting the logical path towards the future of DNS, by the person who created the entire DNS system Paul Mockapetris, so you can thank him for warning all ngtld haters of the inevitable future.
I don't think he has endorsed new extensions as a valid investment strategy. Being in favor of new extensions is one thing, but the state of affairs is a total mess because the new extensions program has been poorly carried out. There are too many extensions right now. By the way, Vixie, another Internet pioneer is not mincing his words: http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-top-level-domains-a-money-grab-and-a-mistake-paul-vixie/

The NGTLD market will get flooded, making the great names you see in this thread and others appreciate more in value because they are in the top 1% of their respective registry. Scarcity increases value and when they are only a few hundred high level names for every ngtld , increased saturation will only bring their prices higher and those of lesser quality lower...thats just how things develop.
Scarcity increases value... wrong. Scarcity does not increase value when there is no end user demand. This is wishful thinking. Right now, you're trying to convince yourself you're holding valuable inventory.
There is a reason why the majority of domain sales reports are made of legacy extensions. End users willing to spend some money on a domain name will usually not consider new extensions as a first choice.

In 5 years the internet will be completely different than it is now and in 10 years it will be even more dissimilar. Throwing out random numbers like "30 years" means you really don't understand how quickly things are moving.
The Internet is changing fast. On the other hand, protocols (that includes the DNS) are awfully slow to change.
I think the most important trend is the continued shift toward ccTLDs. How many end users care about new extensions... in the real world. Why aren't new extensions mainstream and popular if the underlying figures are so amazing. For sure there is more to the story.

#FoolsGold

•••
Why aren't new extensions mainstream and popular if the underlying figures are so amazing. For sure there is more to the story.

#FoolsGold

Right. According to the numbers one in 7 websites should be a .ngtld. I do not use one single nGTLD website service so far.

That means after 3 years the average joe internet user is not exposed to them.

How can they ever reach critical mass if internet users are not being exposed to them?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-top-level-domains-a-money-grab-and-a-mistake-paul-vixie/

"I think it is a money grab. My own view is that ICANN functions as a regulator, and that as a regulator it has been captured by the industry that they are regulating. I think that there was no end-user demand whatsoever for more so-called DNS extensions, [or] global generic top-level domains (gTLDs)," he said.

Vixie sees the demand for the new domains as having come from "the people who have the budget to send a lot of people to every ICANN meeting, and participate in every debate", that is, the domain name registrars who simply want more names to sell, so they can make more money. But these new domains don't seem to be working.

"They're gradually rolling out, and they are all commercial failures," Vixie said.

Last edited:
•••
Always the same worn-out argument, the Internet is changing fast, therefore new extensions will become valuable somehow. It's never been like that.

Just by the numbers they should be mainstream now. Obviously it isn't the case and looking at the numbers alone is misleading. After all .tk is the biggest ccTLD.

I don't think he has endorsed new extensions as a valid investment strategy. Being in favor of new extensions is one thing, but the state of affairs is a total mess because the new extensions program has been poorly carried out. There are too many extensions right now. By the way, Vixie, another Internet pioneer is not mincing his words: http://www.zdnet.com/article/new-top-level-domains-a-money-grab-and-a-mistake-paul-vixie/

Scarcity increases value... wrong. Scarcity does not increase value when there is no end user demand. This is wishful thinking. Right now, you're trying to convince yourself you're holding valuable inventory.
There is a reason why the majority of domain sales reports are made of legacy extensions. End users willing to spend some money on a domain name will usually not consider new extensions as a first choice.

The Internet is changing fast. On the other hand, protocols (that includes the DNS) are awfully slow to change.
I think the most important trend is the continued shift toward ccTLDs. How many end users care about new extensions... in the real world. Why aren't new extensions mainstream and popular if the underlying figures are so amazing. For sure there is more to the story.

#FoolsGold

DNS protocols are always changing. Scarcity increases value...you learn that in ECON 101 or 100, but I guess you never took that. Also there is plenty of demand and it will continue to grow, if ngtlds weren't in demand then why would Google or Microsoft buy them while comparable .com's gather dust being parked? Clearly they are the better option being legacy tlds? Your a fool to think that public reports account for a meaningful percentage of domain sales, any company worth its ilk would buy domains under very strict NDA's revealing nothing other than them being the new owner. Again, I've already sourced Paul Mockapetris, so rather than make insubstantial arguments, you should go and watch that video...wasn't it you who asked for the source? Paul Vixie, as established as he is did not create the DNS and therefore has a starkly different vision then the man who made it his mission to build it Paul Mockapetris and after reading that article it seems to me that he is more concerned about the security issues of new NGTLDs and the fact that a "price tag" can be associated with the registration of a new addition to the DNS than the actual innovation of its use. In layman's terms he is more concerned about how it affects his own interests and the principles that he himself has rather than the actual need for them. Which makes sense since he runs a security company( Farsight Security), using an article to create a problem that needs fixing is quite an easy way to gain business, but I doubt many people think at this level.

I suggest you take the time to find less bias sources. Just going through google won't cut it.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back