Dynadot

domain Good,Ok,Worthless? New at domains need advice - amoneytransfer.com

NameSilo
Watch

Dansdomainarbitrage

Established Member
Impact
I am new at domains and bought all of these and wanted to get an idea if I am doing an ok job in domains others would want to buy?

These are all for sale or will be once I put them for sale.

If you are interested in any let me know but even if you are not if you think they are in general good,ok or worthless please tell me.

amoneytransfer.com

backgroundsearchfree.com

cashinclub.net

cashringoffire.com

catallergysymptom.com

chasemanhattanmortgage.com

cooljob.org

dateidea.org

eddiction.net

enginemarketingsearch.com

equityloansbadcredit.com

freetogoodhomedogs.com

hotelnapavalley.net

houseconcept.org

intranetsearchengine.com

itravelmag.net

lawyerlawyer.net

listofmillionaires.com

lostsocks.net

medicalinsurancedallas.com

oldcoinsbritishsale.com

onetelugumedia.com

paydaycashloan.net

payithere.net

readyformore.net

searchinsurance.net

sjwz8.com

smalldogsforadoption.com

stereocaraudio.com

thejetstream.net

topamaxforweightloss.com

trabajos-online.com

tractorwheelweights.com

uberchef.net

uksearchengines.com

whatisasearchengine.com

woodenbirdcages.com

wwedivasearch.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It doesn't have to. The important thing is that it's marketable. Amazon is marketable because it's a dictionary word, so it's easy to remember and you don't have to rely on search engines to look it up.

While it is a dictionary word the word is not related to the business that I am aware.Most people who were to think of that word would not think of them at all.

Even something like Fast.com or Speedy.com would of been better and more related than Amazon.com

It was fb.com that sold for 8.5 million. And that's what you can expect a LL.com domain to sell for.

Even if that is the standard value of the domain like that the name still has no meaning.related to the business.

A domain is the name under which you're allowed to publish your content. The content itself is something separate. Granted, there are people that sell developed sites with the domain, but that's something else entierly.

You aksed for a appraisal of your domains, not a site that you're hosting.

Did I ask you to appraise my sites?

I dont remember doing that.

I have no interest at all in domain flipping just the name alone.To me it sounds way harder so good luck to you all there.

I have no interest in having my websites appraised until I can prove income with them to give a buyer a real reason to buy it.

•••
I would let it be. I don't think the OP understands since he keeps bringing the discussion back around to why his domains "could" be worth a lot because Amazon is worth a lot. He's too busy arguing to listen. Let him figure it out the hard way and come back in six months when/if he's ready to learn for real.

Joe,

It isnt that hard to understand.

I assume you own OrganicLipBalm.com and whatever the value of the domain name alone is worth today if you could factually prove the domain with a website makes $1000 a month than the value of the domain would be worth more.

If you can prove google pays you that with ads the value will go up.

It isnt that hard to understand that someone will pay you more for it than its current estimated value.If they dont pay you more for it than it doesnt make any difference you will still make money every month.

You guys lose money on your domains every year until you sell them IF you sell them.

No thank you.

•••
I have not read through all of the most recent posts, just enough to get a general idea.
I find this fitting and going to throw it in here.
It is from a similar thread from the other day and although it is obvious it made a little light bulb go off for me. I am not sure how to take the quote from the other thread and put it here right off so I will just do this.

Thanks again @Ategy.com

"This is pretty much where you're going wrong as a "domainer" .. it's certainly not unique to you .. MANY domainers have done it to some degree when starting .. you're using your own imagination to twist and turn and find cool ideas .. and then find cool domains for those ideas/concepts. But that is your downfall .. you're buying domains based on the fact end users will see your domain and then follow through with your idea / concept.

But the fact of the matter is that that strategy is backwards .. you need to find good names for business ideas that other people are ALREADY thinking of and planning to start-up.

Otherwise you're a developer .. with completely worthless unwanted domains UNLESS they are developed. Which is not domaining .. it's development."

Good luck to you, what you are doing, and how you are going about it.
There is lots to learn here from many great and experienced members.

•••
It appears you can't quote closed threads .. not sure if it's a bug or deliberate .. either way .. I'll put the full quote here :) .. Note I haven't seen this thread yet .. lots on my to to list today .. but I'll check it later! :)
https://www.namepros.com/posts/6557279/

This is pretty much where you're going wrong as a "domainer" .. it's certainly not unique to you .. MANY domainers have done it to some degree when starting .. you're using your own imagination to twist and turn and find cool ideas .. and then find cool domains for those ideas/concepts. But that is your downfall .. you're buying domains based on the fact end users will see your domain and then follow through with your idea / concept.

But the fact of the matter is that that strategy is backwards .. you need to find good names for business ideas that other people are ALREADY thinking of and planning to start-up.

Otherwise you're a developer .. with completely worthless unwanted domains UNLESS they are developed. Which is not domaining .. it's development. So sure if you build a great little site for wtf.cup it could certainly be worth something because of the developed content .. but as a stand alone domain it has virtually zero chance of ever being wanted by someone unless you pitch them on DEVELOPMENT (and *NOT* on the actual domain). Could it sell? Of course there's a small chance .. but appraisals are based on the risk/reward/costs of the name alone .. and on those merits alone wtf.cup falls far below what most of us would consider a worthwhile risk/investment.

The others are correct in that wft.cup is a bad domain .. you need to remember that the appraisal section has nothing to do with your imagined potential development .. it has to do with the realistic chance of somebody with an EXISTING business idea of finding and wanting your domain(s) for their business idea that they have already developed .. AND .. willing to pay a multiple to account for more than the costs of maintaining all of the other domains in your portfolio that don't sell in a year.

All that being said .. "Confidence Pays" actually does work for EXISTING businesses .. namely in the self-help industry. It isn't an amazing domain .. but it's good .. and much much MUCH more importantly .. it actually is a domain somebody might consider buying.

All these other "concepts" you have are cool .. and imaginative .. but you're putting the horse before the cart. Everyone will tell you it's a great idea or concept .. but when it comes time to investing or committing real time/energy you'll see most of these things never result in anything.

Particularly if you've never developed a website before, you lack the ability to truly gauge the time, resources, energy, and costs involved. All these combined effectively hold thousands of times more value than just the cost of the domain.

Based on your reactions you want us all to evaluate the value of your concept domains as if they were already completed projects .. so in your mind you want us to say that:

Your Domain(s) + Massive Energy = A valuable domain.
But the reality is that it is wrong to include all that development time/energy/cost when just evaluating the domain.

I'm not saying to stop dreaming and coming up with these huge multi-domain concepts .. but just realise that what you are talking about is not domaining .. and as such the honest truth is that more often than not people are going to tell you the domains are worthless .. because they are as domains alone. Whether they are worthwhile businesses is a completely different question .. but not one that should be reflected in a "domain" appraisal unless there is a very strong chance someone else will come up with the concept INDEPENDENTLY and come searching for your domain.

So many people you will contact for your ideas will tell you it's a good idea and bla bla bla .. but more often than not they are just being nice .. and have no real intention of following through with actual investment (or they might not even understand what is involved/required).

Again .. many of us pass through the same phase .. many many years ago long before I was a domainer I bought over a dozen similar domains with the same prefix _Music.com, _Money.com, _TV.com, etc etc .. *BUT*I actually had a big site/community running on the music one and actually DID develop a couple of the others enough to justify buying them.

I strongly suggest you actually develop at least one domain based on your own "concepts" before going off and registering any more. For all I know you could indeed do great with it .. and then continue to acquire more and grow .. but again .. that is not domaining.

In terms of just domaining you're on the right track with Confidence Pays .. it's one of the better domains in this section .. which admittedly isn't saying much .. lol .. but it's a good buy at handreg .. and I would certainly pay $8 a year holding it .. the risk:reward is there for that domain.

•••
I have not read through all of the most recent posts, just enough to get a general idea.
I find this fitting and going to throw it in here.
It is from a similar thread from the other day and although it is obvious it made a little light bulb go off for me. I am not sure how to take the quote from the other thread and put it here right off so I will just do this.

Thanks again @Ategy.com

"This is pretty much where you're going wrong as a "domainer" .. it's certainly not unique to you .. MANY domainers have done it to some degree when starting .. you're using your own imagination to twist and turn and find cool ideas .. and then find cool domains for those ideas/concepts. But that is your downfall .. you're buying domains based on the fact end users will see your domain and then follow through with your idea / concept.

Otherwise you're a developer .. with completely worthless unwanted domains UNLESS they are developed. Which is not domaining .. it's development."

Good luck to you, what you are doing, and how you are going about it.
There is lots to learn here from many great and experienced members.

I would rather be a developer then.

Saying they are all "completely worthless unwanted domains" is not accurate but some of them clearly are.

Not that you just said they all were but I will assume you mean that since most of you do.

Even the most worthless one I have can be worth more than many you have after I develop it.

Being a developer is clearly much easier and smarter vs what you guys are doing.

You guys need a buyer or you will lose money every year.

I NEVER need a buyer.

Plus once I have learned how to make money with ANY domain I could

#1.Sell my services to people like you guys who constantly lose money with your domains.

or

#2.Buy better domains from the start that most of you will tell me how great you think they are and develop them.

So I can thank all of you for helping me to see things more clearly.

•••
It appears you can't quote closed threads .. not sure if it's a bug or deliberate .. either way .. I'll put the full quote here :) .. Note I haven't seen this thread yet .. lots on my to to list today .. but I'll check it later! :)

While some good ideas are in this post it's flaw is that it doubts you will find a buyer with a bad domain name which is fully understandable.

I do not need to find a buyer or ever sell it to anyone to make money.

I do not mind putting in the time and money to learn this it will make it all the more easier when I buy a new domain in a year or so that most of you would tell me how great it is based on the name ALONE.

I can even overpay for better domain name knowing I know how to develop it.

How many of your domains do you lose money on them every year until you sell them IF you sell them?

Some of you your answer is ALL OF THEM.

No thank you.

•••
Joe,

It isnt that hard to understand.

I assume you own OrganicLipBalm.com and whatever the value of the domain name alone is worth today if you could factually prove the domain with a website makes $1000 a month than the value of the domain would be worth more.

If you can prove google pays you that with ads the value will go up.

It isnt that hard to understand that someone will pay you more for it than its current estimated value.If they dont pay you more for it than it doesnt make any difference you will still make money every month.

You guys lose money on your domains every year until you sell them IF you sell them.

No thank you.

I don't develop. This is a part-time hobby for me. I sell domain names, not websites. You asked for an appraisal on your domain names, not on your websites.

If you want an appraisal on your websites, go build some, generate traffic, make ad revenue, and then come back and post an appraisal request in the appropriate website appraisal section. Until you do, all your ifs and buts are just that.

"if you could factually prove the domain with a website makes $1000 a month..."
"If you can prove google pays you that with ads the value will go up."

Go build some money-making websites OR sell some domains, and then come back here and give us advice. There are successful domainers on here with 10+ years experience in the business, and you're trying to tell them where they're going wrong. And this is after asking those same people for their opinions on the first names you've ever purchased.

Now grab a glass of water, swallow the rather large humility pill that's coming your way (we've all done it, though maybe not as stubbornly as you), and stop giving bogus advice. Start learning.

•••
You ask for help, but then argue against that help. That is not intelligent.

#1. Some people enjoy sharing info just as many have replied to me here sharing info.
#2.Some people give what you are saying away for free on youtube and there is multiple benefits for them to do that
There is no guide or cheat sheet to trading in the domain name market. So many variables and niches and things to learn.

It takes months/years of reading and trial and error to learn how to navigate the huge marketplace with products and corporate businesses buying and selling. If market investment and trading were that simple everyone would be doing it.

Yet some people literally profit off real garbage and garbage domains.
Of the massive numbers of names sold each month, of course some of them will be rubbish. There's high probability at play and exceptions to the rule. That means it's just a rarity and not to be taken as any indication of a potential to sell any names.

You sound like you are one of the most experienced domain resellers here.That you are probably more educated about domains than most who have replied.
Not only content with arguing against those whose knowledge you asked for, but also insulting them now as well?
While I don't doubt his expertise at all, there are many pros here, yet you argue away and then claim one single person must be the best just because they agree with you? I don't think you'll do well in a marketplace with that mindset.

This is why I am learning to build websites as this is the most obvious way to have an advantage over the rest of you.Some of you on this website dont even do this.
You think people never thought of that before you?
Domaining, like building websites, requires a ton of experience and knowledge. Different people spend their time and skills making money in different ways. That difference doesn't equal someone being wrong.

One doesn't just install Wordpress or some other template and throw up some content, and maybe some SEO, and the masses will come running and those ads will bring in money. Again, more people here would be doing this if it were that simple.

YOUR words - "I am learning to build websites" "how much is this domain name worth" - "New at domains I need advice"?
If you need advice and are new and "don't know" how the hell can you argue back as if people are wrong?

Let me ask this - If you don't need the help and can argue as if you have knowledge, as you have been doing, then why ask for an appraisal in the first place and state "need advice"...?

•••
You ask for help, but then argue against that help. That is not intelligent.

There is no guide or cheat sheet to trading in the domain name market. So many variables and niches and things to learn.

It takes months/years of reading and trial and error to learn how to navigate the huge marketplace with products and corporate businesses buying and selling. If market investment and trading were that simple everyone would be doing it.

Of the massive numbers of names sold each month, of course some of them will be rubbish. There's high probability at play and exceptions to the rule. That means it's just a rarity and not to be taken as any indication of a potential to sell any names.

Not only content with arguing against those whose knowledge you asked for, but also insulting them now as well?
While I don't doubt his expertise at all, there are many pros here, yet you argue away and then claim one single person must be the best just because they agree with you? I don't think you'll do well in a marketplace with that mindset.

You think people never thought of that before you?
Domaining, like building websites, requires a ton of experience and knowledge. Different people spend their time and skills making money in different ways. That difference doesn't equal someone being wrong.

One doesn't just install Wordpress or some other template and throw up some content, and maybe some SEO, and the masses will come running and those ads will bring in money. Again, more people here would be doing this if it were that simple.

YOUR words - "I am learning to build websites" "how much is this domain name worth" - "New at domains I need advice"?
If you need advice and are new and "don't know" how the hell can you argue back as if people are wrong?

Let me ask this - If you don't need the help and can argue as if you have knowledge, as you have been doing, then why ask for an appraisal in the first place and state "need advice"...?

This is just another troll reply I have gotten dont you guys have better things to do?

Some of your post I have already answered and yet you rant on anyway.

You call that insulting are you serious?

You give no specific example of me calling someone else wrong or your view on if you think they are or not.

Why dont you give me the specific example you are talking about next time?

I didnt give the reasoning why I thought they were wrong? or you just have a problem with me thinking that even if they are wrong?

I did need advice and I got it from multiple people.

This website has given me the exact plan I am taking so thanks for that.

If someone said something ridiculous and I called them out for it and that bothers you that is your problem.That people here have way way more experience with domains than I do doesnt give you a pass in anything you say unless you got proof to back it all up or some evidence to really imply your point is true.

Look at what master of my domains said to me he could have 100 times more experience than me and what he said was just foolish.

•••
While it is a dictionary word the word is not related to the business that I am aware.Most people who were to think of that word would not think of them at all.
Why do you think it would have to relate to the business practice? The company is named Amazon, therefore it makes sense to for them to own the domain amazon.com.

Did I ask you to appraise my sites?

I dont remember doing that.
You don't have a site, you have a bunch of domains, and yes, you did ask us to appraise your domains.

I have no interest at all in domain flipping just the name alone. To me it sounds way harder so good luck to you all there.
You'd be wrong. Take your first listed site, acashtranfser.com, since the name isn't marketable it would mean starting an entire buisness to generate traffic for the site.

•••
I think a lot of good advice has been posted. I do find Estibot and GoValue helpful to consider, but only after you have first looked at the name and been able to give a good answer to the question who will want to buy this, how likely is it that one of those people will buy it, and how could it be effectively sold.

ps I am sure others looked this up, but interestingly someone did pay more than $17000 in 2010 for LostSocks.com. Even with the .com having gone for so much, GoValue list lostsocks.net at a value of $348, which is probably a fair retail value IF you could find a seller. In my opinion one should never use just GoValue or just Estibot alone.

•••
Why do you think it would have to relate to the business practice? The company is named Amazon, therefore it makes sense to for them to own the domain amazon.com.

They shouldnt of named themselves after the rain forrest in the first place is my point so they could of had a better name and domain from the start.

You don't have a site, you have a bunch of domains, and yes, you did ask us to appraise your domains.

Of course but I never asked anyone to appraise my websites.

You'd be wrong. Take your first listed site, acashtranfser.com, since the name isn't marketable it would mean starting an entire buisness to generate traffic for the site.

If you say so clearly many of you have domains right now you cant sell but that doesnt mean you cant make money off them or wont eventually.

You dont need to start a business either to generate traffic for the site.That clearly isnt true.

Did I misunderstand you?

•••
I think a lot of good advice has been posted. I do find Estibot and GoValue helpful to consider, but only after you have first looked at the name and been able to give a good answer to the question who will want to buy this, how likely is it that one of those people will buy it, and how could it be effectively sold.

ps I am sure others looked this up, but interestingly someone did pay more than $17000 in 2010 for LostSocks.com. Even with the .com having gone for so much, GoValue list lostsocks.net at a value of $348, which is probably a fair retail value IF you could find a seller. In my opinion one should never use just GoValue or just Estibot alone.

That LostSocks.com sold for 17,000 sounds fishy to me. Why would someone pay that is my question?

You seriously think someone would pay $348 for LostSocks.net even if they wanted it?

•••
Well, it is hard to say. It is in both the Namebio and GoValue systems, apparently sold by something called DotComAgency that seems now largely out of business except directing to Afternic, etc. from their website. I would think it is valid, but I am a trusting person.

I mean I would not pay that for it! But seriously, I would not pay what is paid for many, many of the daily reported .com sales.

A somewhat comparable LostLens.com sold for $472
So given that it is a .net, which maybe 1/5 to 1/10 of a .com, I would say if you can get $50 you should feel happy. I think there is some chance of getting the GoValue price if you are lucky enough to find someone who sees it as a fit, in which case it would go for something like the $300 or $400.

Interestingly socks have sold at decent prices in a number of venues
FunSocks.com at $7500
and CoolSocks.com at $45000 both Afternic reported sales
and MagicSocks.com for $2400

Of course I would prefer MagicSocks to lost ones :|

Sorry got to go chase up my lost socks in the washer now....

•••
That LostSocks.com sold for 17,000 sounds fishy to me. Why would someone pay that is my question?

You're too busy arguing to take in the information people are giving you.

You already seem to know everything so I'll leave you to it. Good luck

•••
They shouldnt of named themselves after the rain forrest in the first place is my point so they could of had a better name and domain from the start.
The amazons were also a tribe of warrior women from Greek myth. Either way, the name served its purpose. Amazon is one of the largest Internet retailers.

Of course but I never asked anyone to appraise my websites.
You specifically asked if your sites were worthless. That's a form of appraisal.

If you say so clearly many of you have domains right now you cant sell but that doesnt mean you cant make money off them or wont eventually.
If you can't sell a domain you'll stop renewing it.

You dont need to start a business either to generate traffic for the site.That clearly isnt true.

Did I misunderstand you?
It depends on the site in question. If you're running a blog or a Bulletin Board then no. But acashtranser.com isn't exactly a blog type domain, now is it?

•••
Well, it is hard to say. It is in both the Namebio and GoValue systems, apparently sold by something called DotComAgency that seems now largely out of business except directing to Afternic, etc. from their website. I would think it is valid, but I am a trusting person.

I mean I would not pay that for it! But seriously, I would not pay what is paid for many, many of the daily reported .com sales.

A somewhat comparable LostLens.com sold for $472
So given that it is a .net, which maybe 1/5 to 1/10 of a .com, I would say if you can get $50 you should feel happy. I think there is some chance of getting the GoValue price if you are lucky enough to find someone who sees it as a fit, in which case it would go for something like the $300 or $400.

Interestingly socks have sold at decent prices in a number of venues
FunSocks.com at $7500
and CoolSocks.com at $45000 both Afternic reported sales
and MagicSocks.com for $2400

Of course I would prefer MagicSocks to lost ones :|

Sorry got to go chase up my lost socks in the washer now....

Well those other names are better maybe to someone who wants to sell glow in the dark socks might want mine.

•••
You're too busy arguing to take in the information people are giving you.

You already seem to know everything so I'll leave you to it. Good luck

Go troll somewhere else.

•••
You specifically asked if your sites were worthless. That's a form of appraisal.

Dont you mean domains? but if I said sites that wouldnt be accurate.

If you can't sell a domain you'll stop renewing it.

How you are doing it yeah that wont apply to me.

It depends on the site in question. If you're running a blog or a Bulletin Board then no. But acashtranser.com isn't exactly a blog type domain, now is it?

I will make it into a blog and it will get traffic.

It is not exactly a blog type domain at all but I wont be able to make $30 a year from it without a website.

•••
Dont you mean domains? but if I said sites that wouldnt be accurate.
Yes, I meant domains.

I will make it into a blog and it will get traffic.
Good luck with that.

It is not exactly a blog type domain at all but I wont be able to make $30 a year from it without a website.
If you're going to host a server that's going to be about $20/month, unless you have your own rig.

•••
The amazons were also a tribe of warrior women from Greek myth. Either way, the name served its purpose. Amazon is one of the largest Internet retailers.

Amazon river (biggest in the world)... Amazon rain forest.... Huge, diverse, exotic, containing multitudes of exciting things (many never before seen). It's a brand that fits the feel Bezos was looking for; and the beauty of it is that it can be scaled with the company. It started as a book store, but when he wanted to start selling other items, a name like "Best Books" would have been very limiting.

One important lesson I've learned about branding: don't limit yourself with the name you choose (or with the domain you choose).

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Yes, I meant domains.

Good luck with that.

If you're going to host a server that's going to be about $20/month, unless you have your own rig.

It is not that expensive for hosting.

•••
Amazon river (biggest in the world)... Amazon rain forest.... Huge, diverse, exotic, containing multitudes of exciting things (many never before seen). It's a brand that fits the feel Bezos was looking for; and the beauty of it is that it can be scaled with the company. It started as a book store, but when he wanted to start selling other items, a name like "Best Books" would have been very limiting.

One important lesson I've learned about branding: don't limit yourself with the name you choose (or with the domain you choose).

Someone could think that Joe about Amazon that is true.

I doubt most people are that deep and gave it that much thought.

Fast.com BuyOnline.com Speedy.com

Wouldnt these be better since these names apply more to the business?

•••
Someone could think that Joe about Amazon that is true.

I doubt most people are that deep and gave it that much thought.

Fast.com BuyOnline.com Speedy.com

Wouldnt these be better since these names apply more to the business?

Short answer is that there's not one single way to brand well.

There are only so many names and words that can make a direct connection with an industry in a non-limiting way. And then you have to consider trademarks, uniqueness, memorability, etc. So businesses often need to think a bit less literally to help themselves stand out.

A name like Amazon creates a loose association to the desired idea and feel for the business. It's positive. It creates a nice visual. It's short and memorable. Everyone knows how to spell it. Those are all big check marks when it comes to choosing a brand name.

And as a domainer, beyond the fact that it's a short, common, single word, this kind of name is highly desirable because it can be used creatively for any number of industries. Increased versatility means more potential buyers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back