Dynadot

offers Gonna buy a domain, don't know it worths the offer!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohammad

Established Member
Impact
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you everyone for joining this thread.

First of all, I don't see any unaccetable behavior in myself. I just offered and seller accepted. I think some of you took this so serious. For example, I had experience here in NamePros. A dude won my domain in the auction and he told me if I don't mind, he would like to cancel the deal and I just accepted.

As I said, the seller didn't reply me at the first time so I thought he won't sell or wants to sell for high price. I randomly offer $500 and he just replied and accepted my offer. And I'm willing to buy the domain with that price.

I have my rules and it's my money. I really really don't care what do people think about me here after reading the thread. Honestly, I don't care even 1%. But I appreciate all ideas. :)

Mohammad

•••
He has accepted the offer. They have a legit contract to buy/sell. Of course we all know that in the murky underbelly of domaining, you can walk away from contracts with impunity :(

They don't have a legal contract at all as it doesn't contain key terms : payment date/terms, transfer mechanism. It is essentially only a promise of agreement (not that it matters too much).

It would be more or less of an agreement if the email was "Would you take $500" vs "I offer you $500" - as one is just an enquiry and one is an initial step towards a contract. Acceptance of the offer is another step. Completion of Escrow by both parties, for example, would be a contract as at that point all the criteria are laid out.

There is likely nothing legal in the correspondence - who would pay for transfer? Escrow? etc. etc.

You are wrong. It is not just an offer if it is accepted before expiration/withdrawal.

In the long run, building a reputation where people know that they can do business with you on a handshake will pay you off handsomely. You'll save on transaction costs, people will cut you a slack when you need time, they will find you with opportunities and will hold it for you just on your word.

And, most importantly, you will feel good about yourself.

Most transactions in domaining are not built on reputation. Most end-users don't know "Recons.com". They might search and see what they can find so you might have some concerns if you're "Shane Bellone" or "Adam Dicker" :)

My experience would tell me that end-users are fine with most things. It's domainers that are pitas. Few domainers give anyone much slack at all - you get your name canceled for credit card issues and you get whole threads dedicated to your reputation cleansing effort, for example.

•••

First of all, I don't see any unaccetable behavior in myself. I just offered and seller accepted. I think some of you took this so serious. For example, I had experience here in NamePros. A dude won my domain in the auction and he told me if I don't mind, he would like to cancel the deal and I just accepted.

As I said, the seller didn't reply me at the first time so I thought he won't sell or wants to sell for high price. I randomly offer $500 and he just replied and accepted my offer. And I'm willing to buy the domain with that price.

I have my rules and it's my money. I really really don't care what do people think about me here after reading the thread. Honestly, I don't care even 1%. But I appreciate all ideas. :)

Mohammad

No one will know what you did or didn't do anyway =) What you do is say that you say that you're willing to buy at that price because you're the nicest guy in the world and your reputation is intact. People get too hyped up by nonsense hype, imho.

No one really cares until you screw them. A lot of it is pontificating about the "industry" :)

•••
No one really cares until you screw them. A lot of it is pontificating about the "industry" :)

Well... or until one posts a thread that asks for opinions in a community... and then turn around and tell everyone that you don't actually care about their opinions. LOL. I almost wouldn't believe this thread existed had I not seen it myself. ;)

IMHO, just a stupid thing to do ... but it's a big community and many of us do appreciate the blunt, honest warning to just not waste our time with a given individual. ;) LOL !!

•••
Another lesson learned: never accept an offer straight away without countering, even if you are happy with the price. Negotiate so that buyer feels happier even if he/she has to overpay for it ))

•••
Another lesson learned: never accept an offer straight away without countering, even if you are happy with the price. Negotiate so that buyer feels happier even if he/she has to overpay for it ))

Unless someone offers you $500 for a really poor two word domain that for some reason estibot overvalues at $900 :)

•••
Personally, I don't think waiting a few months and having someone else contact the seller is going to get you the domain any cheaper. The seller will probably suspect this and/or they might hike the price since there's been multiple inquires in a short time.

You offered $500 and they accepted. Either pay the person, or tell them that you changed your mind and your not interested anymore, and move on. You should have never offered what you're not intending to pay.

Show some character and keep your word.

•••
If you don't care about what we think, why should we care to help you?

•••
Most end-users don't know

"End User"
This Phrase has been passed and shared almost as much as kim kardashian...

The truth to the phrase is that it was created by a "Domainer" to get a discount from another "Domainer".
It has NO other meaning whatsoever.
Once a Domain is sold Thee END your the USER responsible for it now.

•••
"End User"
This Phrase has been passed and shared almost as much as kim kardashian...

The truth to the phrase is that it was created by a "Domainer" to get a discount from another "Domainer".
It has NO other meaning whatsoever.
Once a Domain is sold Thee END your the USER responsible for it now.

I was using it simply to differentiate a non-domainer entity from a domainer. Most non-domainers are not likely to worry about the experience in general. Only domainers use the "I'll never deal with you because you're unethical" line because they're the only ones that might come across each other. Once Sam the local baker has bought his name SamsBakery.com he's not likely to come back trying to buy 3d, drone, or pot names. Moreover, if you renege on a deal with Sam, he's hardly likely to come to Namepros and tell everyone about it either.

This is all domainer to domainer, investor to investor, squatter to squatter, whatever your term to whatever your term, chit-chat.

•••
Most of the things said here are well said.. Not much to say, just to summarize in logical way..

1 - You never know real value of domain until right offer comes to it.
2 - Waiting 2 months and offering lower wouldn't help you to decrease price instead it may increase the price.
3 - You should learn honoring your mistakes in domain world.

So, if you step back forget that domain or take it for $500 and use it.

•••
Look at it this way. YOU thought it worthy of development. YOU thought it worthy of 500 bucks.
500 is cheap for a property You believe you can develop and make much much
more. Given your hesitation You may not be ready. There is so much more to ponder
in a start up. I agree with others opins of estibot. They can't keep up with the market.

•••
You should not ask question here if you don't respect opinion of other members.

Members here are much more experience than you in domaining. you are behaving like a careless school boy who does't care about offer, others opinion etc.

•••
I think you should just let it go now and probably try another line of work here is the rope. =========================================================

•••
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

This is one of those cases where you should have looked deeper and did more research. If estibot says it's worth $950, it's probably worth 1/10 of that AT BEST. Estibots appraisals are never close to accurate! They are usually extremely way off, one way or the other. The seller took the offer because he probably knew it wasn't worth anything near than.

As an example of estibot being way off, take a look here at what it says microsoft.com is worth! ;)

Estibot-Appraisal-of-Microsoft-Com---WEB---PNG8---NOINF.png

•••
I really really don't care what do people think about me here after reading the thread. Honestly, I don't care even 1%. But I appreciate all ideas. :)

Mohammad

You must be from that special section.

Another not to deal with :/

•••
If you don't care about what we think, why should we care to help you?
I didn't mean that. I think you and some members are misunderstanding me. Some guys said I don't have moral principals and they won't deal with me anymore even they did before. I don't care about these words. Like I said, I appreciate all ideas about this issue.

•••
LOL! It's not bad to say that seller has a few domains and seems he's not a domainer.
The seller wasnt a domainer until he recieved your XXX offer for his domain.

•••
Three things I hate about this industry are.

Lowball offers, time wasting and those who don't commit to their offers. Go ahead and try put in a lower offer if you wish, I hope the seller triples their price. :)

•••
If you are not replying to that seller or not buying that domain, just reply him what happened, so if he get any other offers from others then he can sell

•••

I see. If this is the situation, email the seller again and tell him/her what your intentions were behind quoting this random price. Mention that you only wanted to get his/her attention/reply and that you can not afford to pay that much for the domain.

Ask the seller to tell his/her minimum selling price (below from your quoted price of course). If the seller is convinced, there are chances that you both may still finalize a deal.

But if the seller is stuck with your random price, then I would suggest you to find an alternate domain name.

Good luck,

•••
I randomly offer $500

:xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:

Whether it's true or not that you have a legal commitment to finalize your transaction I do not know, I am not a lawyer but that you should honour it I do know.

Your word and reputation must come first. All of us I am sure have had to finalize transactions we weren't happy with because we said we would have, I know I did. Was 100% happy? Maybe I wasn't but to me there is nothing more valuable than integrity.

There are people on this forum I would make a deal for a xx,xxx sale on a handshake without hesitation and others I wouldn't deal with even for 1 dollar.
How many do you think would be happy to deal with you after what you have posted?

•••

Mohammad
Some things to think about:

1. You need to try to put yourself in other people's shoes - it's not always about you and what you feel. Empathy. Treat others as you would want to be treated.

2. You've heard the saying "what goes around, comes around"? It's true. Karma applies to life, including business.

3. Be a man of your words. If you don't stick to what you say, your words become meaningless. It can take years to build one's reputation, but it can be ruined by a single incident.

As people, we all fail at one point or another, but we need to at least strive to live with core principles.

•••

what do you mean you are backing out, thought we had a deal.

INTEGRITY???

•••
LOL, just kidding, but I would hate to be the seller if you did back back out, it is lame and you shouldn't be making offers if you aren't prepared to follow through. However I too am guilty of doing this, ended up costing me like $175 on sedo as I had to pay the commission, I tried to contact the buyer to apologize but couldn't get in touch. For personal financial reasons I wasn't able to follow through and have felt bad since. But, looks like the seller found another buyer, so everyone was ok.

We all make mistakes, if it were me I would be transparent with the seller if you really don't want the name. Just tell them you are new and were not thinking straight when you made the offer and have to back out.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back