IT.COM

offers Gonna buy a domain, don't know it worths the offer!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mohammad

Established Member
Impact
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think don't use estibot to know the value of the domain

•••
its okay if by email. sedo or flippa will not close your accounts if you back out of some private email offer or negotiation.

but if you want better appraisals then can't be done without name. there is 2 word.com worth 10$ and 100 000$. its hard enough to appraise with the name, so you can imagine how hard it gets without the name :)

Last edited:
•••
firstly dont judge a domain by estibot..estibot is a crap..secondly if u like the name for development then go for it..

•••
firstly dont judge a domain by estibot..estibot is a crap..secondly if u like the name for development then go for it..
Yes, I need the domain for development. Just thinking if I wait for 1-2 month(s) and ask my partner to offer lower price to seller.

•••
Yes, I need the domain for development. Just thinking if I wait for 1-2 month(s) and ask my partner to offer lower price to seller.
ok.I hope the seller is not watching this thread....:D:D:-$:-$:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
if u wait for 1 or 2 mnths..and seller increases price thn??

•••
ok.I hope the seller is not watching this thread....:D:D:-$:-$:xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:
LOL! It's not bad to say that seller has a few domains and seems he's not a domainer.

I think don't use estibot to know the value of the domain
He's not a domainer. Maybe he sells the domain if he doesn't receive higher offer. Don't you think?

•••
Buy the domain for the price you offered. That's what a gentleman would do.

Besides, it won't work if your partner makes a low offer; seller will know.

THe seller may need the $500 now, but not later. Or the domain could be sold to another person.

•••
LOL! It's not bad to say that seller has a few domains and seems he's not a domainer.
I think evrybody is a domainer nowadays who owns more than 2 names:laugh::laugh::laugh:

•••
If you made an offer and it got accepted, you should honor it. That is how contracts work and an email offer with acceptance is a form of a contract.

•••
is a nobrainer... if you offered 500$ it means it is worth for you at leastthat sum. You got curious because he accepted straight away. This doesn t mean the domain is not worth it. Plus you wouldn t be really a serious person to make business iMHO

•••
is a nobrainer... if you offered 500$ it means it is worth for you at leastthat sum. You got curious because he accepted straight away. This doesn t mean the domain is not worth it. Plus you wouldn t be really a serious person to make business iMHO

My thoughts exactly. If the domain is worth the price you offered, then all I can say is, grab it mate.

•••
As others have mentioned, I would not use Estibot alone to determine how much to offer for a domain. However, if you have come to an agreement on price, you need to honor the agreement - even if perhaps now you are thinking you could have bought it cheaper. Too bad - close the deal and learn your lesson. To do otherwise will ruin your reputation and no one will want to do business with you in the future.

•••
I'm going to buy a domain. First time, seller didn't reply my email and second time I offered him $500 for a 2 words .com domain which estibot says its value is about $950. Now, I think I could buy it cheaper and I made a mistake by offering $500. I thought he won't sell it lower than $1000 but now he accepted the $500 offer. How may I be sure that the domain is valuable like $500? Should I take a time and ask a 3rd party (my close friend) to buy it for lower price? :-/

Now that you made it public that you don't honor your bids how many friends will you make here?
You just labeled yourself a cheat.

•••
I didn't read this whole thread because I'm in a bit of a rush right now. But if you have made an offer and the seller has accepted. then you have a legal contract to buy the domain. Your word is your bond in this business. You're trying to avoid this purchase only goes to show how unreliable you are to deal with. I have dealt with you in the past, but will never again buy (or sell) anything from you because you don't have any moral principals.

•••
Honor your word as a Businessman and as a Man and have some integrity.

If things are moving too slowly and you're having second thoughts, email him and let him know you want this completed within the next 48 hours or you're going with another name but still give him the opportunity to move forward with your original offer if he agreed. The end.

PS - Unless you're a mind-reader, maybe the guy didn't even want to sell it for $500 but something came up, or he thought about it and he's actually giving you a break, and now you want it for less? At the end of the day he could be the one with seller's remorse. How about he emails you in the morning saying "On second thought, I want $1000" when you're ready to pay up the $500 he accepted, what's the difference? I bet then you'd be quick to pay up that $500.

Doing the right thing always pays off in the long-run. I've followed-through with deals I had seller's & buyer's remorse only to deal with the same person in the future and cut some nice deals which wouldn't be the case if I had backed out.

•••
I had seller's remorse for only to have the same person come back and buy more from me in the future which wouldn't have been the case had I backed out.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.
Integrity rewards honest business people.

•••
I didn't read this whole thread because I'm in a bit of a rush right now. But if you have made an offer and the seller has accepted. then you have a legal contract to buy the domain. Your word is your bond in this business. You're trying to avoid this purchase only goes to show how unreliable you are to deal with. I have dealt with you in the past, but will never again buy (or sell) anything from you because you don't have any moral principals.

It doesn't meet the legal definition of a contract. It's just an offer at this stage. Even if it was a contract the damage on failing to fulfill the obligation is usually none when it's a nominal amount. But really, it's just an offer.

If the OP doesn't want to spend $500 he just says "I changed my mind. I'll only do it for <whatever the new value is>"

Being underhanded (using another id, pretending you have a partner etc.) is just annoying and can result in sellers simply upping a price and resisting a sale out of principle. It's not illegal, it's not wrong and I'm sure many NPers do this regularly. That said, there are few people who can't be talked into a deal that they said they'd never do with the right money.

TLDR
Just be honest and say you want to pay less if that's what you want to do. Accept the consequences.

•••
Go for it, you have given your words, now honor it. You should have estimated the worth of the domain you're buying, since the domain is for development, go for it.

•••
I'd just note the sales lesson here, since it's been discussed in other threads.

If you get a blind offer, never accept the first offer or the buyer may back out thinking he over paid.

ALWAYS counter. ;)

•••
It doesn't meet the legal definition of a contract. It's just an offer at this stage. Even if it was a contract the damage on failing to fulfill the obligation is usually none when it's a nominal amount. But really, it's just an offer.

If the OP doesn't want to spend $500 he just says "I changed my mind. I'll only do it for <whatever the new value is>"

Being underhanded (using another id, pretending you have a partner etc.) is just annoying and can result in sellers simply upping a price and resisting a sale out of principle. It's not illegal, it's not wrong and I'm sure many NPers do this regularly. That said, there are few people who can't be talked into a deal that they said they'd never do with the right money.

TLDR
Just be honest and say you want to pay less if that's what you want to do. Accept the consequences.

You are wrong. It is not just an offer if it is accepted before expiration/withdrawal.

In the long run, building a reputation where people know that they can do business with you on a handshake will pay you off handsomely. You'll save on transaction costs, people will cut you a slack when you need time, they will find you with opportunities and will hold it for you just on your word.

And, most importantly, you will feel good about yourself.

•••

He has accepted the offer. They have a legit contract to buy/sell. Of course we all know that in the murky underbelly of domaining, you can walk away from contracts with impunity :(

•••
I'd just note the sales lesson here, since it's been discussed in other threads.

If you get a blind offer, never accept the first offer or the buyer may back out thinking he over paid.

ALWAYS counter. ;)

Domaining 101.

•••
I agree with posters here that since you offered $500 and he agreed, the least you should do is go ahead and try and do the deal at that price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back