IT.COM

GoDaddy may be running expired auction which already been renewed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TERADOMAIN

QualityNames.comTop Member
Impact
Hi,

I will share full details later. I been observing since last few days that I found some expired running auction already been renewed. Let me share current latest running auction so everyone can understand what I am trying to share with all friends here.

Currently Auction is running for MetaMoney.com

MetaMoney1.JPG

Roughly 2 Hours 20 Minutes to go when I am posting this.

See Below its already been renewed.

MetaMoney.JPG

What happened Now??

Someone will win expecting it will hit account.

They will pay.

They will get refund after few days.

Total waste of time for everyone.

I am happy with Godaddy but they need look into this. I already been refunded for couple of such names in last 15 days. I will share those details later.

All friends are most welcome to share their views.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Joe Styler please look into this. This is more about bringing to your attention instead of criticizing.

Thanks

•••
The domain has not been renewed. It looks like it has and other registrars do the same thing.

•••
Are there any risks if the expired domain is now in my account after winning the auction?

•••
The domain has not been renewed. It looks like it has and other registrars do the same thing.

Thanks. Its been renewed. I will share my own experience and I captured those screenshot as well that name been renewed already at time of auction is running.

Thanks

•••
Are there any risks if the expired domain is now in my account after winning the auction?

If it hit account then I don't see any issue at all. These things happening before name being hitting the account.

Thanks

•••
ISn't it because it's not registered at Godaddy
So the policy at the other registrar is different
So the renewal can still happen with some of those domains
But not with ones registered at Godaddy
Maybe

•••
Seen it happen before at gd expired ,usually the auction is removed ........see it happen all the time at dyanot expired , have even lost names I won despite checking multiple Whois sources to make sure it wasn’t renewed prior to me bidding ......I’m not sure about GD but my advice for Dyna is don’t pay on winning bid until your 48 hours to pay time is nearly up this just saves trying to get money refunded if domain is renewed.....in the words of @Kenny .....Peace.

•••
ISn't it because it's not registered at Godaddy
So the policy at the other registrar is different
So the renewal can still happen with some of those domains
But not with ones registered at Godaddy
Maybe

Thanks. Yes Godaddy's partner registrar may have different policy of grace period which means they can still renew after auction is closed.

Here the situation is different. Its already been renewed before auction is closed. In this situation Goaddy must remove the name from auction to save time for everyone.

Thanks

•••
I can't be sure what's exactly happening and would be nice to see what GD representative responds. However, it's confusing because as per your screenshot, the domain seems to be renewed but typing in browser gives a different scenario where it shows the domain is expired.

•••
I can't be sure what's exactly happening and would be nice to see what GD representative responds. However, it's confusing because as per your screenshot, the domain seems to be renewed but typing in browser gives a different scenario where it shows the domain is expired.

Thanks. I really appreciate your view. I am not at home at moment where I saved my screenshot of 2 previous names I lost in last 15 days due to this issue.

I shared latest issue so everyone can understand what is going on. Its still running.

Please visit Whois.com and type in MetaMoney.com and we will see its been renewed.

I will share my experience of lost names in last 15 days within 12 hours.

Thanks

•••
MetaMoney2.JPG

•••
•••
You keep showing the same screenshot. The domain has not been renewed. Forget the expiration date you’re seeing.

Lets wait and watch if someone will claim they win the name and it hit their account.

Thanks

•••
I'm with Keith on this. I have seen essentially the same Whois record on many Godaddy expired auction domains from other registrars and it will always show an advanced registration date. Many of the domains I have won from closeout have the same M.O., which are always transferred, sale completed and I now own.

The screenshot proves nothing and is inconsequential.

Last edited:
•••
As per registrar whois:

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-03-03T05:00:00

OpenSRS had a few policy changes in recent years. I am unsure will they allow renewal now or later, however the relevant fact is that it is currently expired.

•••
Maybe nameservers automatically change from "renewyourname" when they renew it....So you could know that way
Or not....

•••
•••
Hi,

Hello all friends. I am here to share what I been experienced in last 15 days by losing 2 names which is ok. But I found similar pattern so I shared with everyone. I am always open to learn something new. I am ok if I am wrong. Nothing wrong in accepting mistake if there is any. I am not here to show off my ego that I am right and others are wrong. The purpose for this thread is just to bring it to attention of Godaddy what exactly is going on. I check Whois at Godaddy as well and it says.

WHOIS search results
Domain Name: METAMONEY.COM
Registry Domain ID: 4853257_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: http://www.tucows.com
Updated Date: 2019-03-07T04:50:48Z
Creation Date: 1999-03-03T05:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-03-03T05:00:00Z

So if Registry expiration is not important at all then how to check if domain is being renewed or not?? I will really appreciate if someone throw some light on it. I am open to learn something new as a student.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
I asked this question a little while ago: https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-expired-name-does-not-expire-until-2020.1128792

The domain in question ended up in my account.....

That is very good. Congratulations for getting name in account.

Recently I won

Buy-Cars.com

Buy-Tickets.com

I will share screenshot later. Both had similar situations. I got refund for both.

So some inconstancy there. I hope @Joe Styler may throw some light on it.

Its all about making Godaddy transparent platform where there is some clarity that name will hit account it we win it.

Thanks

•••

Recently I won

Buy-Cars.com

Buy-Tickets.com

I will share screenshot later. Both had similar situations. I got refund for both.

Its all about making Godaddy transparent platform where there is some clarity that name will hit account it we win it.

Thanks

I can imagine the frustration if you are getting refund's, especially after spending the time monitoring and bidding the auction then thinking you have grabbed a good name. It would p*ss me off...

Hopefully there is a solution, we're not playing roulette here......

•••
•••
it's not renewed. I won domains like this. check tucoqws whois, it's not ernewed.

•••
I wouldn't be so quick to slander Godaddy on this one, these are cross platform auctions, working with another register, lots of moving parts, not everything works in real time. When dealing in any auction marketplace, this is not a retail setting with BIN prices, everything is always moving. I am sure it will be cleared up very quickly.

•••

Recently I won

Buy-Cars.com

Buy-Tickets.com

Thanks

When a domain expires the WHOIS is more or less meaningless to a certain extent for a certain period of time, unless you really know how to read it and what the updates are saying, and even then the registry and registrar will often assume renewal for a certain period of time which will be reflected on the WHOIS regardless of if the owner paid yet to renew the domain or not. If you really want to know the intricate details of what happens when a domain expires, the best explanation I know of is https://www.domainsherpa.com/chris-ambler-domain-name-expiration/ It's 83 minutes long and covers the expiration to drop cycle in depth. It is a couple years old but still pretty accurate.

For this specific domain I would look at the fact that the name servers say to renew your domain, that's a big tip that it't not renewed.

As far as our auctions go with partners, we wait for them to tell us the domain was renewed since they know that data best. Once they tell us we remove the domain from the auction. It is possible, though very unlikely that someone renewed this domain at the registrar and they did not send a call over to us to remove it yet. When they do it comes down pretty fast, so they didn't. That's another big clue that this domain isn't renewed yet.

A third clue that this domain isn't renewed is actually typing it into the browser. The page that comes up says the domain is expired and you need to renew it. This is part of ICANN policy as part of alerting the registrant to the fact that their domain expired, the NS need to change.

I could go on, there are lots of other details, but the bottom line is this name is expired and if you want the other details of the expiration cycle and rules listen to that domain sherpa episode. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back