Dynadot

GoDaddy Auction Problem (update--problem solved)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
So, I place a bid on and ultimately win a domain name a couple days ago. Just now I get a notice saying there is an "error on registration" and my money will be returned.

The problem is all they are refunding is the registration fee...not what I paid for the domain. Since I am the kind of guy that feels the full amount should be refunded, I sent an email to the address I've used for a while to fix Godaddy problems. Unfortunately that address is no longer valid and they want me to call to fix their error.

Not only did I lose the time finding the name and then researching it, now I have to get on the phone after spending 10 mins double checking data and sending an email that won't be seen. Will the madness ever end?!?!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, I place a bid on and ultimately win a domain name a couple days ago. Just now I get a notice saying there is an "error on registration" and my money will be returned.

The problem is all they are refunding is the registration fee...not what I paid for the domain. Since I am the kind of guy that feels the full amount should be refunded, I sent an email to the address I've used for a while to fix Godaddy problems. Unfortunately that address is no longer valid and they want me to call to fix their error.

Not only did I lose the time finding the name and then researching it, now I have to get on the phone after spending 10 mins double checking data and sending an email that won't be seen. Will the madness ever end?!?!

@Mister Funsky - I've had this happen enough times to make me think there's no possible way it's an accident.

Either they're hiring all the wrong people or it's being done on purpose.

•••
(thanks to nps for moving my post to its own thread)

@Mister Funsky - I've had this happen enough times to make me think there's no possible way it's an accident.

Either they're hiring all the wrong people or it's being done on purpose.

It is clear there is an issue within their system...how it picked up only the amount paid for renewal is more than interesting.

I've been waiting to see if their 'system' discovers the error but it seems as though it is processing. Of course I've considered contacting my cc company and disputing the original charge.

Having processed thousands of transactions via my own business, I know how much of a pain this can be for the entity getting the chargeback. Rather than doing that, I'll be calling when I break for lunch...I'll post the time time I'm on hold, the time I'm involved in discussions and results of the call once it is complete.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Mister Funsky,
Thank you for sharing this. Our support team at [email protected] will be happy to review this one for you. We're also going to reach out for some additional information.

•••
Hi @Mister Funsky,
Thank you for sharing this. Our support team at [email protected] will be happy to review this one for you. We're also going to reach out for some additional information.

Thank you for responding. The email in which I attempted to resolve the issue autoresponded with a list of phone numbers based on country. I did not send an email to the auctions email.

In the interest of correcting the refund more quickly (to avoid a double payout) I will attempt the call before sending an email.

•••
(thanks to nps for moving my post to its own thread)

It is clear there is an issue within their system...how it picked up only the amount paid for renewal is more than interesting.

I've been waiting to see if their 'system' discovers the error but it seems as though it is processing. Of course I've considered contacting my cc company and disputing the original charge.

Having processed thousands of transactions via my own business, I know how much of a pain this can be for the entity getting the chargeback. Rather than doing that, I'll be calling when I break for lunch...I'll post the time time I'm on hold, the time I'm involved in discussions and results of the call once it is complete.

@Mister Funsky - If they don't catch it right away, they'll catch it eventually...during the annual audit.
That's why it's always a good idea to pay attention to your refunds.

Unless you have a Premier Rep, as @GoDaddy mentioned, the most efficient and least frustrating way to get this issue resolved quickly is by emailing Auction Support.

•••
So, the total call lasted just under 30 mins with the first 10 waiting for a rep to get to me.

The refund email confirmation arrived shortly after the call was complete and the rep was helpful and courteous. I was given the option to apply funds 'on account' or to have refunded back to the original payment method.

As I mentioned above, the email I had (years old) had an autoresponder and, truth be told, had I spent some time I would have found other email(s) that would have been current. So, if anyone has a similar experience, the emails are billing[at]godaddy.com and/or auctions[at]godaddy.com

On a side note, a recent sale was made through Afternic (had a tenacious broker) that took several months to get to what I felt was the minimum amount. It went for less that it could have (buyer has plenty of funds) if I wanted to hold but all are happy with the deal. The moral of the story is hold out for correct pricing (if you are financially able).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back