IT.COM

GoDaddy let me register a domain that wasn't available?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Has GoDaddy let you register a domain that was already registered, all the way through?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    90.0%
  • No

vote
    10.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
My scanner picked up a ton of LLL.coms as available, so clearly I immediately jumped to register the first one that popped into the available set, it let me register it and went all the way through but didn't show in my account (didn't expect it to lmao), so at that point I slowed down and checked the whois - already registered.

Has GoDaddy let anyone of you register a domain that wasn't actually available, all the way to the end of the process / payment as if it was actually available?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
YES! a while back i registered pay.xyz for a $1.17. :xf.grin:

•••
Which scanner, at GoDaddy?
Probably, to speedup that process GD checks them via DNS-mechanism...
So if certain domains are inactive - they consider them as available...

•••
Which scanner, at GoDaddy?
Probably, to speedup that process GD checks them via DNS-mechanism...
So if certain domains are inactive - they consider them as available...
It's a custom scanner I built an hour ago, and that makes sense, thanks for the info

Edit: GoDaddy definitely needs to address this issue, it thinks bee.com is available lol

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
It's a custom scanner I built an hour ago, and that makes sense, thanks for the info

Edit: GoDaddy definitely needs to address this issue, it thinks bee.com is available lol

I think your scanner definitely needs more work :)

•••
I think your scanner definitely needs more work :)
It's in development, but I'd say having a few false positives while hitting over 1k checks per second on a consumer machine (not any of my servers, can't wait to test it on the 128GB / six core production server as it should be much faster) isn't a very large tradeoff at all ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
To successfully hand reg 3Lcom in 2017 is probably not possible, but you have to try... :)

•••
•••
Hand reg a LLL.com? I'd say that's really very, very far from reality because an LLL.com is worth $xx,xxx to $xxx,xxx. You must be the luckiest person if you can hand reg one of those.

•••
Hand reg a LLL.com? I'd say that's really very, very far from reality because an LLL.com is worth $xx,xxx to $xxx,xxx. You must be the luckiest person if you can hand reg one of those.
lol exactly, because of this is why I didn't waste time looking through whois to confirm if it's a false positive - when rare domains that are obviously without a doubt worth something pop into the available list, I don't even bother doing any checking, it's an immediate sprint to checkout, I let the registrar do all the checking as I'm checking out (which I thought was accurate until yesterday)

•••
Has happened to me multiple times.

Also put through "registry premium" available domains at standard prices .. then later retracted the sales and the domains mysteriously disappeared from the Universe. It pissed me off a bit that GD didn't seem to care or even make an attempt to fight for me to keep the domains from the registry .. I had spent many hours figuring out which ones to buy and registered a couple dozen .. you'd think with their clout they could have managed to get the registry to let me at least keep one to make up for the misery.

Also at drop I on occasion get randomness between "available", "available premium" and "not available" .. switching between all three in different order at different times from seconds to hours apart (but mostly in the first few minutes).

Sooooo many issues with GD's site ... but they do have too large a pool of expiring domains at auction/closeout to resist .. lol

•••
Lol...I'm more intrigued by this scanner of yours :)

•••
Lol...I'm more intrigued by this scanner of yours :)
It turned out pretty nice, it seems GoDaddy is letting you make 116 requests/min (tested, idk their real numbers), and you can submit up to 500 domains per API request, so I have it multithreading sending stacks of 500 domains (and since browsers limit connections to hostnames and I didn't want to use websockets, I had to create a bunch of records in my hosts file that points to, i.e. a.test-server.com, b.test-server.com, c.test-server.com, etc), once it receives the response with domain availability from GoDaddy's API, it then goes out and checks the domains that GoDaddy says is available against the applicable whois server - if it's still available, it adds it to the list. It's dropped down from 1k/sec to at most 75/sec (which isn't too good, but I'm going to write an application in either C++, C#, or VB (haven't decided yet) that way threads aren't limited and I can increase the API call count per minute from in indefinite number (right now it's send 4 -> complete -> send another 4 -> complete, etc) to a solid 116 seeing as there aren't any limitations and it'll run faster as an actual program. Really simple concept, and after the whois implementation to confirm GoDaddy's result, it's 100% accurate. A problem a lot run into is parsing the inconsistent whois responses and having a server and respective parser in place for each extension where it's needed, so I'm leaning more towards integrating 3 APIs to validate eachother from different registrars who allow bulk domain availability checks to increase the performance. If that's available and the request quotas aren't horrible (seems to be common), should be able to get back up to 1k/sec if not faster once I port it from web to native

•••
It turned out pretty nice, it seems GoDaddy is letting you make 116 requests/min (tested, idk their real numbers), and you can submit up to 500 domains per API request, so I have it multithreading sending stacks of 500 domains (and since browsers limit connections to hostnames and I didn't want to use websockets, I had to create a bunch of records in my hosts file that points to, i.e. a.test-server.com, b.test-server.com, c.test-server.com, etc), once it receives the response with domain availability from GoDaddy's API, it then goes out and checks the domains that GoDaddy says is available against the applicable whois server - if it's still available, it adds it to the list. It's dropped down from 1k/sec to at most 75/sec (which isn't too good, but I'm going to write an application in either C++, C#, or VB (haven't decided yet) that way threads aren't limited and I can increase the API call count per minute from in indefinite number (right now it's send 4 -> complete -> send another 4 -> complete, etc) to a solid 116 seeing as there aren't any limitations and it'll run faster as an actual program. Really simple concept, and after the whois implementation to confirm GoDaddy's result, it's 100% accurate. A problem a lot run into is parsing the inconsistent whois responses and having a server and respective parser in place for each extension where it's needed, so I'm leaning more towards integrating 3 APIs to validate eachother from different registrars who allow bulk domain availability checks to increase the performance. If that's available and the request quotas aren't horrible (seems to be common), should be able to get back up to 1k/sec if not faster once I port it from web to native

Wooaah dude!... NICE!... thats a powerful tool to have in your toolbox. Whats the UI like? ...(user-friendly or developer friendly :) )

•••
Wooaah dude!... NICE!... thats a powerful tool to have in your toolbox. Whats the UI like? ...(user-friendly or developer friendly :) )
UI is really ugly lol, just a few basic elements. The code is a gigantic mess right now so I didn't want to give UI much attention until I get that all cleaned up. Here's a screenshot, was only hitting 32dps at the time of the screenshot as only 1 thread had completed and it was still waiting on the other 3 before calculating the result (also ignore the trash domain list, that was for testing the .es extension), but I'm probably going to shift focus on building a program instead of a web app when I have time then I'll release it as a new version to the one I posted on here a year or so ago (that one is really slow lol) alongside a cleaned up web version (which I might build the web version to be able to run on multiple distributed servers and link together that way the requests are coming from different IPs increasing the speed, idk yet)

Attachments

• ds.png
    ds.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 132
•••
OESO dot com was available for $12.17 yesterday and I gave it a go. But GD wont proceed to cart lol. A pop up with more or less the following text appeared: "There's an issue and we add that domain to your cart now".

I talked to a GD rep and was told that it was a glitch and the domain was registered earlier by some one else.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back