Dynadot

GoDaddy expired listings now showing GoDaddy Valuations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Searching through the GD expired and closeouts lists tonight, I see that today GD has newly added the "feature" of a domain name valuation ("valuation appraisal tool"). This is supposedly the approx value that the name could be sold in an end user situation.

I really can't see the upside of this automated valuation. It won't make any difference to whether I buy a name or not, and will only make finding that undiscovered gem a lot more difficult...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddy has also added this disclaimer that you see if you click on the info symbol alongside the valuation.

"These valuations are based on an algorithm that utilizes data GoDaddy has available to it to help identify predicted sale prices of domains. We make no guarantee or promise as to any results that may result from your purchase or sale of any domain. You are responsible to independently assess and determine the value of any domain you purchase or sell and we will not be liable for any losses you or anyone else suffers as a result of your reliance on these valuations."

Since these valuations are all over the map and look like those head-scratching Estibot ones, I still don't see why (or what use) these are going to be... Elliot over at DomainInvesting.com has some fairly in-depth post comments about this. No-one seems particularly happy on this topic.

•••
This is going to confuse the less savvy end users
Not to mention that it can be a double-edged sword: a great domain can be appraised badly by an automated tool.
And it is pointless because domain sales are not in line with automated appraisals.

•••
I saw one valued at $1500 in the closeouts.

•••
•••
Some godaddy closeouts:
oceanstraw.com Valuation : $2,700
netflixter.com Valuation : $2,450
sleepwearrobes.com Valuation : $2,312
dreamsbygod.com Valuation : $2,298
:giggle:

•••
Searching through the GD expired and closeouts lists tonight, I see that today GD has newly added the "feature" of a domain name valuation. This is supposedly the approx value that the name could be sold in an end user situation.

I really can't see the upside of this automated valuation. It won't make any difference to whether I buy a name or not, and will only make finding that undiscovered gem a lot more difficult...

Will that in turn raise the value of other resales?

•••
I am interested in this topic.

•••
This is going to confuse the less savvy end users
Not to mention that it can be a double-edged sword: a great domain can be appraised badly by an automated tool.
And it is pointless because domain sales are not in line with automated appraisals.

I think it has already, i started a discussuion on someone who has put bids on almost 1/3 of the expiring domains last night (expiring with 9d+). when i looked back at them i noticed 99% of them had the new valuations.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-is-going-on-with-gd-auctions.1018395/

•••
Most of these valuations make no sense in the real world. My GD account shows in Canadian dollars, and I'm looking (as examples) at these two in the closeouts. Sykeshomes.com at $2213 and Learycorp.com at $2018. What the bleep?? If you were lucky enough to find a person named Leary who had a corporation and wanted a domain, then possibly....Or a person called Sykes who built homes. Otherwise these are essentially worthless names.

I'm seeing these valuations as mostly misleading the unwary and muddying the waters for those of us who trawl through regularly looking for that glint of gold in the mud.

•••
I'm watching several names in the GD expired lists that I'm letting drop. They have been dropped because I've had no offers or interest in them, and they get very little traffic. So why is GD appraising them at over a $1000 each?! Where are the opportunities to sell these for that kind of money? Please GD, just let me know!!

•••
the valuations mean nothing to a veteran domainer, they know better

•••
I think the purpose is obvious: get more bids and that's why Namejet is now doing the same.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back