NameSilo

GoDaddy Appraised Values...help or hurt?

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Dustie, May 24, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Dustie

Dustie Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

I should be selling all day long... I looked up one of my domain names on GoDaddy, for example Yrces.com, and I'm asking 250.00 and underneath of it Go Daddy says it's valued at 1103.00? If someone wanted the name would the high valuation compared to my lower price make them wonder if there's something wrong with the name? Where do they come up with these valuations anyway? They are all much higher then what I'm asking for most my domains.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Andrew Knox

Andrew Knox Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

Maybe or maybe they'll think that they're getting a bargain. That's irrelevant if they're not seeing your names. I believe that the valuations are affected by things like past sales, search volume, TMs, etc

3. lock

lock Traffic.tools VIP

When you find a bot with a wallet let us know. The higher the price the more commission..

4. greatwebss

greatwebss Blokish.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Automatic appraisals are gambling. Always too high or too low. No reality

5. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Member VIP

The actual dollar amount is totally arbitrary, as domain appraisal to the dollar is impossible, but I have found (along with other factors and tools) that the relative ranking of domains by appraisal value can be useful, as in "X domain may be a better investment than Y domain".

For example, if you find a GoDaddy domain auction valued at $10K and another at $1K I can almost guarantee that the $10K domain would sell for more on the open market than the $1K. How much more? It depends on how good of a salesman you are, but I still find the appraisal value useful as a tool when comparing domains.

I think of it more like positional grading, where its position in the hierarchy means more than the actual dollar amount.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  6. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Member VIP

I do not have a single domain with a sale price lower than the daddys (or anyone's) 'suggested' pricing.

If you don't ask for more, you will not get more. :xf.smile:

7. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Automated appraisals are worth what you paid for them. They can be useful but not reliable.

8. Dustie

Very good point! Thank you. Thank all of you for your help here!

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

We all know that automated appraisals often vary widely from each other and sales prices. GoDaddy GoValue seems to price lots of .com not much different than $1000, not always obviously. One factor to keep in mind is that more and more users are consulting them. If the bot evaluation is more than your price, this can help you (and the opposite of course). Afternic reported that the close of sale stats went up significantly when valuation metrics were added.

Bob

10. mr-x

I would add that an automated appraisal, doesn't imply demand for a domain. Registrations in other TLD's is a much better indicator.

11. Dustie

Where do you find registrations in other TLD's? I've been a member for awhile but I've been gone even longer from the biz so am still in learning stage for sure.

12. Dustie

Bob, I like your digital Art portrait Icon. ;)

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

If you go to dofo.com among the many things it can show you is how many TLDs are for sale, registered but not for sale, and available. There are other ways bit I like dofo as you can quickly see the BIN prices from the marketplace listings.

Bob

Ps Thanks for comment on icon image - just generated with one of those cartoon apps.

14. mr-x

whois.domaintools.com ( shows other tlds on the right side ), domainiq.com.

Another tool by a member here will let you check every domain registered by keyword,. Can't remember the site. dufu or something like that.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  15. Dustie

Thanks Bob...Dofo was helpful!

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: