Domain Empire

GoDaddy error cancels forwarding on 34 of my domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have 400+ domains at GoDaddy that are listed for sale. I have created a "for sale" landing page on my website for each domain and I forward each domain through GoDaddy to it's corresponding landing page.

I was just looking at my domains on GoDaddy and I found that 34 of the domains I had forwarded are no longer pointing to their correct pages. I realized that what the domains all had in common is that they all expired in December and I had renewed them all on November 2nd. I called GoDaddy about the issue and they acknowledged the domain forwarding stopped working on these domains when I renewed them because they "switched to a new template for forwarding" (whatever that means). They said they would correct the issue so it wouldn't happen again. That is fine, and I can go in and set up the forwarding again for each name and they seem to be working again. It is a waste of my time, but at least it is fixed.

Here is where I have a problem-- GoDaddy admits that their issue caused 34 of my domains to not actually point to the right place for 40 days. I absolutely lost out on the traffic and I potentially missed out on offers and potential sales of these names. For this reason I asked for a credit. I explained to the rep that I paid $8.47 each to renew each of these domains for one year. If I pro-rate that for the 40 days that they didn't work it is $.93 per name. Multiply that by 34 names and it is $31.62, and that is what I want a credit for. The rep refused multiple times to issue any credit, and said that their policy does not allow her to do so. I asked if there was someone else, perhaps a manager, that I could speak to that could issue a credit to make their mistake right, and she said that no one there could do it.

I hate to be that guy, but I have literally given GoDaddy tens of thousands of dollars as a customer. I have spent several thousand a year on renewals for the past 14 years. I have also spent many thousands of dollars on GoDaddy Auctions and paid many thousands of dollars in commissions for domains that I have sold through their platforms. I can't believe that when they make a mistake they won't give me a credit for a measly $32 to make it right. What happens if they make an error that is much bigger than this, will they own up to it and make it right then?

I am seriously considering transferring all of my domains away from GoDaddy out of principle.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am seriously considering transferring all of my domains away

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too had an issue with them many years ago and moved hundreds of domains away.

I still use daddy for auction buying/selling but not new hand regs (I need free domain privacy).

•••
I don't use them anymore except for names still reg'd there (either being transferred out or sold / dropped at some point.)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back