GoDaddy Coupon Code Error

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

KDN

KenTop Member
Impact
Hi guys,

Just curious if any of you gets this error when using a code:

Some of our best offers are limited to one per customer and it looks like you've already used one. We've updated your cart with the best offer, if one is available.

This is what I see below the code field:

The code entered has some restrictions.

Thank you so much for your time!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1&1 still keeps trying to bill me for domains I used to have with them, even after countless attempts to work it out with support and even two BBB cases. Every few months I get another warning that my domains--which have long ago expired or been transferred--are approaching their expiration dates, or some other nonsense like that.

•••
Go daddy code not working me too. when I am put code than shaw $1.17 but after going complete transaction than I am Surprised godaddy detect in my account $13.17
upload_2015-7-29_23-58-5.png

•••
I kept w/GoDaddy after the SOPA deal...ultimately because of these coupons (ahh, the almighty dollar!).

No reason to stay now.

Sayonora, GoDaddy!

•••
Go daddy code not working me too. when I am put code than shaw $1.17 but after going complete transaction than I am Surprised godaddy detect in my account $13.17
Show attachment 14689

you have to login when you check codes. when you are not logged in they apply the code and when you are and have already used a similiar code it stops working.

•••
•••
I bet the 'VR' thread is NOW going to grind to screeching halt!

•••
tried most of codes from last pages- zero success, godaddy became greedy this year.

•••
greedy? they lose $6 on each use of a 99 cent code (.COM)

•••
greedy? they lose $6 on each use of a 99 cent code (.COM)

Every registrar has to pay Verisign $7.85 per each .com registration (per year) + $0.18 to ICANN (per year). A total of $8.03 per .com name is the very least a registrar can charge so they come out even. NameBright is the only registrar who offers $8.03 domains to those with pre-funded accounts and they make absolutely no profit on that.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2019799132_apustecverisigndotcomrenewal.html

In 2018 once the 6-year-locked-in-contract is up, Verisign will want more $ per each domain and we will most likely see a 10% price increase per year in .com registration fees unless they get locked into another contract by regulators.

•••
Every registrar has to pay Verisign $7.85 per each .com registration (per year) + $0.18 to ICANN (per year). A total of $8.03 per .com name is the very least a registrar can charge so they come out even.

Exactly. So basically GoDaddy has been subsidizing a chunk of our purchases for the last 10+ years, and we've all been exploiting their coupon program for maximum benefit. But, now that they're going to put an end to that program, some people are apparently angry and planning to punish GD by leaving them in favor of registrars that never helped us with discounts in the first place. I'm not sure how that makes sense, but I guess that's human nature for you.. :)

•••
...moving from the GoDaddy Coupon code thread..

Exactly. So basically GoDaddy has been subsidizing a chunk of our purchases for the last 10+ years, and we've all been exploiting their coupon program for maximum benefit. But, now that they're going to put an end to that program, some people are apparently angry and planning to punish GD by leaving them in favor of registrars that never helped us with discounts in the first place. I'm not sure how that makes sense, but I guess that's human nature for you.. :)

I personally have only registered a dozen are so domains using coupon codes with them over the years (I only have one domain registered with them currently which will be pushed to the new buyer in a few days). I've always disliked GoDaddy due to their horrible user interface and their past CEO (Bob Parsons).

I prefer ethical registrars but like everyone else I'm weak when it comes to getting a domain for $1. GoDaddy will still make millions with or without us. No one is obligated to stay with them.

As for them subsidizing a chunk of our purchases...I believe they were in the business of selling everyones personal information (who didn't buy WHOIS privacy and used a coupon code) for profit to lead companies. How much money did they make doing that over the past 10 years?

Last edited:
•••
I moved the deleted posts from the Coupon thread to here, and restored them.

I think it is safe to say people are going to move to the lowest cost provider they can find for something like domain registration, Go Daddy was never the best registrar, they had coupons and they have Go Daddy Auctions and Premium Listings. Being in the Go Daddy registrar path is a value imo. 24 hour phone support is a value. But $8.03 at NameBright is intriguing too.

•••
NameBright.com has the lowest prices on com/net if you pre-fund your account.

.com - $8.03

.net - $7.72

nRduY6C.png

You won't even get such low rates if you sign up for Godaddy's discount program.

You can register .net domains with NameSilo for $4.39.

•••
Any one have any stats of how many .com registrations that are being done this way?

•••
NameSilo is also interesting in this situation.
If you only want one domain you can basically get it for a minimum of 7.89$ if it's a new account and use a $1 coupon and you join the discount program (requires you to pay with account balance).
If you want more than one domain it amounts to $8.89 with discount program.
I think NameSilo is superior to NameBright even at this price since it offers better overall service and the WHOIS protection is free forever.

I am using it since GoDaddy coupons are no longer working... registered about 25 domains since. Soon I'll qualify for even better pricing. :)

•••
•••
I think NameSilo is superior to NameBright even at this price since it offers better overall service and the WHOIS protection is free forever.

Yes, NameSilo is a great registrar as well.

You can't go wrong with NameBright, NameSilo, or Internet.bs. I also like Dynadot as well for their user interface.

•••
Any one have any stats of how many .com registrations that are being done this way?

Going by RetailMeNot stats for GoDaddy (not sure if at all accurate)...
1746 People Used a $0.99 .com code today
670 People Used a 35% off coupon
695 People Used a 87% off .com domain + $2 private registration coupon

•••
The key thing about GD is high renewal costs. That might be greedy, or it might be shrewd if most people with one or two domains will never transfer out. Supposedly GD now want to focus more on added-value services like crappy website builders for endusers.

The question I have is what % of GD domains are held by people witih lots of domains, who are probably domainers and probably price-sensitive. I've heard people say that in general 80% of domains are held by domainers. Does anyone know?

The coupons were basically giveaways and for some reason they tolerated bulk use of them, only GD know why they did that but it may have helped them grow. Without a good coupon I have no reason to use GD - I prefer Namesilo, Dynadot and Internet.bs.

•••
GoDaddy making a loss or "giving away" huge discount coupons is as much a marketing gimmick (that works) as much as Google "gives away" huge discounts for some (or first-time) Ad customers. They likely charge the loss under marketing (but report it as revenue in full in the balance sheet, less the discount charged to cash flow and marketing).

I have been with GoDaddy for more than a decade and a half, and have stayed with them even when I'm unable to use big discount coupons. My beef is just that their renewal rates are very high for me when comparable registrars charge far less. Used to be, the "high" rate was mitigated by the coupon codes, bringing the prices down to affordable levels (but still more than the minimum $8+ to verisign+icann), and now, even that had just been removed altogether.

By no means do I blame GD for trying to make a buck; it's a business after all and not a charity. It's just that it's an amusing move to be so aggressive with the coupons in an effort to grab first-time users yet keep renewal rates for existing customers, including longtime ones like me, at the same higher rates when many large registrars charge far less for transfers.

•••
Here's a comparison:

Godaddy:
.com $12.99-14.99 regular price | $8.69 with REV10 coupon | $8.29 with discount program that cost $120/yr
.net $16.99 regular price ($8.17 right now for everyone) | $8.17 with discount program that cost $120/yr

NameSilo
.com $8.99 regular price | $8.89 with pre-funds | $8.39 if you have 5000+ domains with them (transfers to them are $8.39/yr as well)
.net $9.29 regular price ($4.39 for new regs) | $9.19 with pre-funds ($4.29 for new regs) | $8.69 if you have 5000+ domains with them

NameBright:
.com $8.52 regular price | $8.03 with pre-funds
.net $8.22 regular price | $7.72 with pre-funds

Internet.bs:
.com $8.99 regular price | $8.79 with pre-funds | $8.49 if you have 2000+ domains with them & pre-funds
.net $9.99 regular price | $9.59 with pre-funds | $9.19 if you have 2000+ domains with them & pre-funds

•••
1and1 allow only 5 domain registration for .99 cents after that we wanna pay normal fees

•••
1and1 allow only 5 domain registration for .99 cents after that we wanna pay normal fees

The real fees at 1&1 are abnormal level of blood, sweat and tears, plus letters from collection agencies, plus the possibility of unwantedly "donating" your domain to them at renewal time.

•••
The real fees at 1&1 are abnormal level of blood, sweat and tears, plus letters from collection agencies, plus the possibility of unwantedly "donating" your domain to them at renewal time.

Yes I agree with you, fees are abnormal like their domain control panel its really slow and its not good

•••
We sell a minimum of 2-3 domains a day. And from that, I can certainly tell you the overwhelming majority of buyers want the the domain to be pushed/transferred to godaddy.

We have even lost dozens of sales because the domain was NOT at godaddy. Usually we have to pay extra $ to cover the transfer cost to godaddy... In order to close the sale.

If it was my choice I would only use Uniregistry, but they are so small 9 out of 10 buyers want the domain transfered out of Uniregistry. It's a bummer, but that's the way it is.

It's the same with food! There is organic & healthy food, but the majority of people would rather buy mass produced GMO food covered in pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics. So they can save a few bucks, which will be later spent on healthcare treatment of some kind

By point is, I'm not a fan of Godaddy or conventional food. But as a businessman I'm wise to remember what the majority wants, not what I want.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back