NameSilo

GoDaddy Commission is horrible, should they reduce?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
It is really painful to pay $ 15 commission (it is the minimum) for a sale of $ 20 domain name. And it is also equally painful for a small domainer to pay $ 75 for a sale of $ 500 domain name (@ 15%). It is really difficult to do business with such massive commission cut. The sellers often suffers heavy losses due to such unethical commission. Godaddy with such high commission rate inviting some giants to compete with them and it is high time we should have one real competitor, of course, someone size Godaddy size. Domain names marketplace is a really profitable business, why not some big shots in the industry try it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They should change it, but they won't. You shouldn't be selling anything worth less than $1k on GoDaddy. That's what reseller marketplaces like NamePros are designed to handle, and you get to keep all the profit.

•••
Calling GoDaddy's commission rates unethical seems like a real stretch when they're inline with about every other major domain reseller marketplace out there.

•••
It is really painful to pay $ 15 commission (it is the minimum) for a sale of $ 20 domain name. And it is also equally painful for a small domainer to pay $ 75 for a sale of $ 500 domain name (@ 15%). It is really difficult to do business with such massive commission cut. The sellers often suffers heavy losses due to such unethical commission. Godaddy with such high commission rate inviting some giants to compete with them and it is high time we should have one real competitor, of course, someone size Godaddy size. Domain names marketplace is a really profitable business, why not some big shots in the industry try it.

is it $75 for 500?? i thought it would be 100$. Anyone clarify please?

•••
Calling GoDaddy's commission rates unethical seems like a real stretch when they're inline with about every other major domain reseller marketplace out there.

Agreed with that... it's about 10% - 20% everywhere else.

I could never understand people complaining about commission. If you are not happy with GD commission don't list your names there, it's so simple. On the other hand if you complain about the min. $15 fee don't list your domain starting at $20, start at $50 or $100 if you think your name worth that much.

•••
I never list my domains cheaper than $95 at GoDaddy. For that given reason.

•••
GoDaddy is a HUGE nonexclusive marketplace/registrar that doesn't charge upfront fee's, so I'm HAPPY paying their commission when they land me a sale. It's still lower than some marketplace commission structure.

•••
With so many (potential) end-user eyeballs on godaddy marketplace(s), their commission looks O.K. to me.

Although I do find 20% commission a big deal sometimes but hey, as long as domains are being sold there, who cares about the 20% commission.

•••
The lesson here is obviously up your "price". If its too low(and nice for your buyer) only you gets messed up at the end.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back