IT.COM

Do you think GoDaddy is doing enough for their 20% commission?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
It is general knowledge that Godaddy charges 20% as commission fees.

Do you feel that Godaddy is doing enough for the 20% that they are charging?

Personally, I feel there should be more analytical tools to give insights into the portfolio of doamin names that are parked at Afternic.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the afternic domain is sold via external registrar - 20% is OK imo. External registrar needs cover payment processing fees _and_ earn something. Afternic should also pay something to losing registrars if it was fast transfer sale at least, as they provided afternic integration and should be compensated. And, afternic itself is supposed to be profitable.

On the other hand, if afternic domain was sold via own traffic on lets say GoDaddy (ns5/ns6 landers) - 20% is too high, no doubts.

Last edited:
•••
as for extra tools and analytics, I think it was informally disclosed that current afternic platform was developed by a third party. Which may the reason why GD has issues managing it and/or making changes. Indeed, it would be more natural to for example allow lander configuration inside, and provide just one set of dns servers. Afternic elected not to touch it and provides different sets of dns servers for different purposes (ns3/ns4 vs ns5/ns6 etc...)

Last edited:
•••
Haven't got any domains with GoDaddy, even though my first domain was probably with them. You'll get a diverse range of opinions on this question. NameCheap are my choice (20% on registrations / transfers, 10% on marketplace transactions). For the volume I do, which is pretty small, its good enough for me

Last edited:
•••
I too hate to give 20% commission to Godaddy, but do I have a worthy alternative?

•••
•••
Sadly I don't think any platform has as much exposure as godaddy. So if they want 20%, they get it.

•••
It is general knowledge that Godaddy charges 20% as commission fees.

Do you feel that Godaddy is doing enough for the 20% that they are charging?

Personally, I feel there should be more analytical tools to give insights into the portfolio of doamin names that are parked at Afternic.

What do you think?
If the recent development with Alter and Dan is anything to go by, 10% and below in an illiquid sector is not really sustainable especially when you factor in that most domainers sell at the sub 5k region.

Having said that, I love that the commission rate is tiered at Afternic. Once your sales exceed the 5k and the 25k marks, you will be paying something closer to 15%+ and 10%+ respectively.

I think it's a fair deal for what they bring to the table; the GoDaddy brand name and their fast transfer network.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back