IT.COM

GoDaddy / Afternic Auction Scam (Must Read)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Bought a domain on GoDaddy Auctions on November 25, 2017 for $420, the seller communicated thorougly knowing the selling price but was taking a longgg time to simply call GoDaddy to finalize the transfer. GoDaddy would tell me they are awaiting his call, I let the seller know and he replies saying "I forwarded your email to Afternic, they should take care of it for you" ...

It's now December 11, 2017 and after indirectly emailing the seller telling his lazy ass to call GoDaddy to get the ball rolling I get an almost immediate reply from an Afternic broker claiming the listing on GoDaddy was fom the domain's previous owner and the current owner's asking price is $1,800.

Here's what happened...

A) Broker wanted more and convinced buyer to sell for more ... OR ...

B) Buyer backed out, contacted the broker and seeked advice to sell for more ..

I am going to purse legal action if I am not fully refunded my money with 48 hours (I don't care if they need to wire it; they have policies, but so do I ...) OR they put the domain in my account at the price I purchased in for nearly 3 weeks ago. If this is not resolved within 48 hours they will be sued for money laundering, financial damages, and illegal business practices.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What i dont understand is the fact it was a godaddy auction, which means somebody had to submit it to auction, then it gets reviewed before it goes live. So i would presume ownership verification would be checked prior to the auction starting
Afternic check ownership verification before they include in the listing. The problem comes only when the old owner failed to remove the listing from Afternic.

•••
Afternic check ownership verification before they include in the listing. The problem comes only when the old owner failed to remove the listing from Afternic.
So they don’t do nothing to encourage the old owner to do their work properly. Just cashhhh

•••
I will be happy to form an alliance,even if i have to build a website list for it.
People are losing money out of their pockets because of their incompetence.

•••
Im now talking to them on godaddy,regarding that sale,lets see their answer and incompetence.

•••
I have a domain - dairi.es that i want to list,but cant list because its allready listed by someone doesnt even own it.
Godaddy a multi-million company business doesnt do a domain clean check up,sedo.com does,why is that really.

•••
I have a domain - dairi.es that i want to list,but cant list because its allready listed by someone doesnt even own it.
Godaddy a multi-million company business doesnt do a domain clean check up,sedo.com does,why is that really.
Simple:
Godaddy = Afternic
Afternic= Godaddy
The incompetence on ones it’s the incompetence of the other.

•••
if you wanna find expired domains,just go to godaddy.com actions(domains that are for sale),copy the domains there ,check their whois,and you will see a lot of them are available to order.

•••
Many times I have picked up a domain name on the dropped list - then try to put on GoDaddy as a premium listing - but I get an error saying the domain is already listed on GoDaddy auctions. I contact their auctions folks, they remove the old one, then I can put mine on at my price. If I didn't ever go to GoDaddy to list the domain name I picked up on the dropped list, it would remain in GoDaddy auctions for someone (like you) to try and buy. Only then would they find out it was an old listing from someone who let the name drop. Happens a lot.
Clean check up,thats,what they should do,I think its time guys for us to take legal aciton against them,time is money.

•••
cost tens of thousands of dollars in an actual court regardless of the merits with a lot members will cust pennies to us.

•••
"Lisi" from GoDaddy replied to my Twitter rant; here's my reply...

You managed to write all that on TWTR? I counted 1664 characters in your reply.

•••
I m moving 2-3 names per day away from godaddy recent days...I m planning to move 95% of names away. :)

Why not 100%?

•••
No worries, if their legal team feels superior and/or takes my demands lightly I will form an alliance with everyone they've done wrong within a matter of days and we will all get our money back + more.

Sweet Dreams!

•••
Why not 100%?

a few domains hosting with godaddy still. thought might cause some problem to move all of them.....any ideas?

•••
Very likely Afternic is telling you the truth. I had the reverse happen to me a few weeks ago. Someone wanted to buy a domain I sold on SEDO and didn't remove from Afternic.

A simple check of whois history would prove or disprove your claims very quickly.

•••
@omelet - You should never put your hosting with the same company that registers the domain. There have been numerous incidents, where Registrars (ie GoDaddy) have blocked the traffic to a domain, because in their wisdom, they were of the opinion there was something fishy going on. And they always block about 4pm Arizona time when their department which deals with this goes home for the weekend. They are a very aggressive bunch of individuals. You should definitely NOT host at GoDaddy (at all) but particularly when your domains are at GoDaddy. My recommendation would be to get a non-GoDaddy host, IMMEDIATELY.

If you get into a dispute over hosting, they will block the transfer of domain to another registrar. Guaranteed.

•••
@omelet - You should never put your hosting with the same company that registers the domain. There have been numerous incidents, where Registrars (ie GoDaddy) have blocked the traffic to a domain, because in their wisdom, they were of the opinion there was something fishy going on. And they always block about 4pm Arizona time when their department which deals with this goes home for the weekend. They are a very aggressive bunch of individuals. You should definitely NOT host at GoDaddy (at all) but particularly when your domains are at GoDaddy. My recommendation would be to get a non-GoDaddy host, IMMEDIATELY.

If you get into a dispute over hosting, they will block the transfer of domain to another registrar. Guaranteed.

Which hosting company could be the best partner with Uniregistry? Look like Uniregistry doesnt have hosting services

•••
As I've said. You should ALWAYS separate your hosting from you registration. Hosting and Registration are never partners. There are hundreds of thousands of good cheap hosts. I would choose a host that doesn't have a very big registrar business (if any).

Last edited:
•••
I sold a domain early this year, to some foreign students who were starting a business. They paid close to full price, but I gave them a break because I did believe that they were students, and I was feeling magnanimous because sales had been great that month anyway. Then later I saw the domain up for auction at GoDaddy and I contacted one of them to ask why they were selling it, but it turned out that it was a mistake, that GD had put it up for auction with no one's consent.

They really were students, they really did start a small business, and the GD auction link was taken down that same day after the buyer called GD to complain.

In that case the domain came from DynaDot (me) to GD (buyer), so why it was placed on auction, we never figured out.

•••
As a matter of fact, godaddy auction listing (if exists) is what they display even with afternic listing active. It may well be that there was outdated GD listing for the domain in question in this case. When the sale occured @ godaddy, it could not be completed. Moreover, it would be logical for gd/afternic to try to convinience the actual current owner (afternic account holder) to sell for $420 or whatever amount GD actually collected due to somebody else not removing their old listing, and this whole process might not be fast. If it is the case, then who was really "lost" in this case is the real seller - they received no automated "domain sold" emails from Afternic, as nothing was sold through Afternic channel, but they received an email from the buyer who logically demanded the domain transfer and referred to afternic/gd successful sale.

Last edited:
•••
This is pretty common. I have purchased names with a BIN at Sedo before only to be told by a Sedo rep that the old owner had not removed the listing after selling the name.

You might wan to read the fine print in their T&C before even thinking about a lawsuit, Im sure they would have themselves covered.

Good luck though, it can be frustrating.

•••
This is pretty common. I have purchased names with a BIN at Sedo before only to be told by a Sedo rep that the old owner had not removed the listing after selling the name.

You might wan to read the fine print in their T&C before even thinking about a lawsuit, Im sure they would have themselves covered.

Good luck though, it can be frustrating.

its more or less normal for domains that are offered too cheaply

•••
I will be happy to form an alliance,even if i have to build a website list for it.
People are losing money out of their pockets because of their incompetence.

Thank you, I appreciate the support...

I'm over this for now; will keep you posted.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back