Dynadot

GoDaddy / Afternic Auction Scam (Must Read)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Bought a domain on GoDaddy Auctions on November 25, 2017 for $420, the seller communicated thorougly knowing the selling price but was taking a longgg time to simply call GoDaddy to finalize the transfer. GoDaddy would tell me they are awaiting his call, I let the seller know and he replies saying "I forwarded your email to Afternic, they should take care of it for you" ...

It's now December 11, 2017 and after indirectly emailing the seller telling his lazy ass to call GoDaddy to get the ball rolling I get an almost immediate reply from an Afternic broker claiming the listing on GoDaddy was fom the domain's previous owner and the current owner's asking price is $1,800.

Here's what happened...

A) Broker wanted more and convinced buyer to sell for more ... OR ...

B) Buyer backed out, contacted the broker and seeked advice to sell for more ..

I am going to purse legal action if I am not fully refunded my money with 48 hours (I don't care if they need to wire it; they have policies, but so do I ...) OR they put the domain in my account at the price I purchased in for nearly 3 weeks ago. If this is not resolved within 48 hours they will be sued for money laundering, financial damages, and illegal business practices.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes. Godaddy is a company not so cares about small details. Lots of unhappy things happened btw me and them.

•••
If i decide to sue (if they dont do EXACTLY what I say); join me. The more people who feel scammed, the better.

•••
If i decide to sue (if they dont do EXACTLY what I say); join me. The more people who feel scammed, the better.

Even I know that history will prove Godaddy gonna have no future, however, I still doubt you would win in this battle.

Large corporation like Godaddy would not give our grass root customers a "something not smells good".

•••
They have 0% chance with me. No need to explain why and/or how. They have 48 hours to prevent being sued.

•••
I have no idea what happened here, but the reality is a lawsuit is going to likely cost tens of thousands of dollars in an actual court regardless of the merits. Does that really make sense for a $420 domain?

If they are not willing to resolve this to your satisfaction, a more realistic option is to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. You will certainly get more than some canned customer service response to that.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I think afternic/ godaddy people are correct .. dont sue them..
same thing happen with me for my domain.. previous owner's price was appearing on afternic..
personally i need to contact customer care of afternic and removed old price.
later on i kept new price...

•••
Since month ago I stopped giving a penny to a godaddy corporation. That’s all. Despite the amount of money they spend o Seo, they have the worst customer service ever. I am moving my best domains to other registrars. In a few I won’t have anything there I hope.
Best wishes mate and wish it will be solved soon. Keep on going.

•••
Since month ago I stopped giving a penny to a godaddy corporation. That’s all. Despite the amount of money they spend o Seo, they have the worst customer service ever. I am moving my best domains to other registrars. In a few I won’t have anything there I hope.
Best wishes mate and wish it will be solved soon. Keep on going.

I m moving 2-3 names per day away from godaddy recent days...I m planning to move 95% of names away. :)

•••
i had to contact afternic and sedo on several cases to remove listing from previous owners, it happens

•••
I am not sure but it could be a genuine technical glitch of the previousowner's listing being visible.

The best thing should be to request a refund and move on.

•••
Honestly, I do not think that GoDaddy or Afternic would have knowinlgly risked their reputation (or spend any noticeable human time or efforts) to potentially gain higher commission from $1800 sale vs $420 sale. In either case their commission amount for such a sale is not even a "pocket money" for such a big company, it is _irrelevant_ amount for the company profits. So it is likely that the problem is not with GD or Afternic, but with the seller who elected to increase price, or, possibly, duplicate outdated listings.

•••
i had to contact afternic and sedo on several cases to remove listing from previous owners, it happens
Did they do anything? Claimed to remove some domains from older owners and still waiting weeks and weeks...

•••
Honestly, I do not think that GoDaddy or Afternic would have knowinlgly risked their reputation (or spend any noticeable human time or efforts) to potentially gain higher commission from $1800 sale vs $420 sale. In either case their commission amount for such a sale is not even a "pocket money" for such a big company, it is _irrelevant_ amount for the company profits. So it is likely that the problem is not with GD or Afternic, but with the seller who elected to increase price, or, possibly, duplicate outdated listings.
It is man. Indeed. You pay fees and purchase their products,( I remind you one of the expensier registar actually) so they are at their own responsability. You don’t have to contact to a buyer after a succesfully auction sale. So it is man. You don’t have to claim afternic to solve the problem of older owners domains to put down. So it is man. Don’t godaddy spend that much on seo and other things and invest your money to monitorizate and solving problems like thoose and of course invest in your staff in better formation courses, some of them still don’t know basics things when you ask them.
I am sorry but Let me insist . IT IS.

Last edited:
•••
What i dont understand is the fact it was a godaddy auction, which means somebody had to submit it to auction, then it gets reviewed before it goes live. So i would presume ownership verification would be checked prior to the auction starting

•••
Don't worry, Godaddy will refund your money 100%. It is possible that the previous owner did not remove the listing, it happens to many. There is no life in your case if Godaddy prove that the listing was from the previous owner. Better wait a few days, and get back your money.

•••
You are fighting a losing battle .

•••
Don't worry, Godaddy will refund your money 100%. It is possible that the previous owner did not remove the listing, it happens to many. There is no life in your case if Godaddy prove that the listing was from the previous owner. Better wait a few days, and get back your money.

I agree.. I've already found a domain name that I own listed for sale at afternic from a precedent owner.. What they said it may be true

•••
I don't care if they refund my money or not, they have 48 hours to do so. It's been 25 days; they can wire it so meet my 48 hour deadlin before I recruit every customer they've had since day #1 to form an alliance to sue them.

"Lisi" from GoDaddy replied to my Twitter rant; here's my reply...

Hi Lisi, the seller thorougly conversed with me aware of the $420 selling price which I paid via Buy Now option on November 25 (18 days ago...); however, the seller was taking a VERY long time to simply call GoDaddy to follow-through with the transfer. Finally, after waiting a few more days I emailed him once again asking him to simply call GoDaddy and this email was sent around 10 PM PST. Almost insantly I got a reply from afternic stating the transaction was cancelled because supposibly the listing was from the previous owner and that the seller's asking price is $1,800 and not $420. GoDaddy and Afternic must provide proof that the GoDaddy listing was from a different owner, the seller must prove how long he has owned the domain (to prove the case of when the domain was listed on GoDaddy), the owner must prove he thought the domain was sold for $1,800 and NOT $430 (whether or not the listing on GoDaddy was previous owner or not), Afternic must provide SOLID details why it took them so long to simply update me with such details, GoDaddy's recorded phone calls must NOT disappear of the support member confirming the sale price of $420 is accurate because "GoDaddy owns Afternic and they most likely have a higher price tag as upsell..." ... if I am not supplied all of the materials above I recommend your legal team to NOT attempt to argue to and setlle out of court as FAST AS POSSIBLE. Side note; I'd like my money put back into my bank account with 48 hours; I don't care if internal policies exist and that it usually takes 5-7 business days for funds to come back to my account. Wire it if needed; that's MY policy. Thank you, and god bless.

•••
•••
Did they do anything? Claimed to remove some domains from older owners and still waiting weeks and weeks...

Check out my reply; they have a lottttttttttttttttt to prove to me ;)

•••
I'm sure a ton of people here will not appreciate how aggressive I get; and I apologize. This has nothing to do with money, I was taken advantage of; and I simply do not accept that. I'm no longer going to post or pay attention to this thread but I hope NamePros leaves it open.

Thank you, and god(s) bless you all.

•••
godaddy itself is a scam.
Domain: BHABIE.COM
Date Sold: 03 September 2017
Listing Price: $99.00
I sold this domain on godaddy and never got paid for,contact few times,and they never answer.

•••
godaddy itself is a scam.
Domain: BHABIE.COM
Date Sold: 03 September 2017
Listing Price: $99.00
I sold this domain on godaddy and never got paid for,contact few times,and they never answer.

No worries, if their legal team feels superior and/or takes my demands lightly I will form an alliance with everyone they've done wrong within a matter of days and we will all get our money back + more.

•••
Many times I have picked up a domain name on the dropped list - then try to put on GoDaddy as a premium listing - but I get an error saying the domain is already listed on GoDaddy auctions. I contact their auctions folks, they remove the old one, then I can put mine on at my price. If I didn't ever go to GoDaddy to list the domain name I picked up on the dropped list, it would remain in GoDaddy auctions for someone (like you) to try and buy. Only then would they find out it was an old listing from someone who let the name drop. Happens a lot.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back