IT.COM

domains GoDaddy acquiring Uniregistry's registrar & marketplace, and Name Administration's domain portfolio

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The first blockbuster deal of the decade. GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY), the company that empowers everyday entrepreneurs, today announced it is acquiring Uniregistry's leading domain registrar and marketplace businesses. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. The deal is expected to close sometime in Q2 2020. The Uniregistry domain registry is not part of the … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I moved over 750 of my domains from various platforms including Godaddy to Uniregistry for a reason.

As an investor, I found Godaddy expensive.
So NO! I’m not excited, gonna be shopping/moving around soon.

•••
It would be nice as the largest registrar, and one of the largest portfolio holders, if GoDaddy would actually join several other major registrars in defending registrants' rights and taking a stance against the .COM price increases.

Instead they have just sat back and decided to do nothing.

Brad

•••
Verisign definitely has various "bonuses" and "gifts" for GD...
So lack of motivation to fight against Verisign...

•••
@Quintin
Can you inform us about the upcoming changes on UniMarket, if any?
For example, your payout processor remains OR it will be switched to GoDaddy's (bad news)?
I think things are going to stay the same for a while, Cayman offices already established, could be a good thing for Godaddy, since it is a corporation, usually business accounts stay the same, and officers are added/removed. Just wondering why you say Godaddy payments would be bad?

•••
I moved over 750 of my domains from various platforms including Godaddy to Uniregistry for a reason.

As an investor, I found Godaddy expensive.
So NO! I’m not excited, gonna be shopping/moving around soon.
Godaddy is actually cheaper if you purchase their domain discount club, as opposed to domain perks which would cost you more?

•••
Just wondering why you say Godaddy payments would be bad?
At least they are significantly slower... takes 2-3 weeks to receive money from sales.

•••
No sense in those perks and clubs...
Many registrars are cheaper than Uni and GD without any requirements and monthly payments for air...

+ you can get individual prices at Epik...
@Rob Monster , right?

Last edited:
•••
Cayman offices already established
This week I work with one of Uni brokers...
And his phone number belongs to California.

•••
This week I work with one of Uni brokers...
And his phone number belongs to California.
Newport Beach CA office, or some work offsite.

•••
i hope Godaddy makes Uni brokers chill out

they overbearing relentless with the emails

Samer

This. I had to tell a broker to back off after seeing how many "follow up" emails (a.k.a SPAM!!!) they sent to one of my inquires. Looked very unprofessional

•••
Just picking up on the news now! OMG!

•••
It would be nice as the largest registrar, and one of the largest portfolio holders, if GoDaddy would actually join several other major registrars in defending registrants' rights and taking a stance against the .COM price increases.

Instead they have just sat back and decided to do nothing.

Brad

I got a mail from GD where they ask us to comment on the topic before it´s to late

•••
ugh I hate Godaddy time to move my domains. Anyone want to hit up my PM with good registrars?

•••

To be fair, the Escrow folks did sell for way too cheap. I think Brandon Abbey is still scratching his head on that one.

Freelancer could very easily divest Escrow.com and report a huge gain on sale. The one-off cash and capital gain makes Matt Barrie look like a genius and likely fixes their balance sheet ratio issue.

There are really not a lot of obvious synergies between Freelancer and Escrow other than financial optics and a boat load of cash float from transactions idling in "inspection periods".

With Paypal VP Leah Sweet joining the GD Board, I do think there is a statement being made about integration of payment processing. That much seems clear.

•••
Everyone .. considering at least a portion of Uni clients became so because they were anti-GD. Also considering at least one blog (not mine .. lol) mentioned Epik would run a promo to take advantage means that it's not entirely unconnected. So I don't think it's the end of the world to mention that other registrars will run promos to try to grab those clients.

However let's be honest .. particularly the countdown posts and everything beyond a "yeah .. we're running a promo" is really beyond the intended scope of this topic. You know that if/whenever a mod actually reads this thread, all the extras I'm referring to as well as all the usual "promotion" arguments/debates are going to be deleted, so all anyone is doing continuing the arguments and debates (on BOTH sides) is wasting their time and energy for nothing (including me right now .. lol).

So how about from this point forward nobody post anything regarding any promotions beyond just saying "company X is running one" or "yes we're running one" (if a company executive) .. or arguments for/against it .. no apologies .. no justifications .. etc etc .. just stop the off-topic and continue to discuss things directly related to this acquisition.

Last edited:
•••
giphy.gif

•••
I'm curious to know what kind of domains Godaddy is getting in this deal. Uniregistry's portfolio is huge and many domains there are supposed to be great but there must be some domains there that stand out. If anybody has some insights and can chime in, please do.

Last edited:
•••
No sense in those perks and clubs...
Many registrars are cheaper than Uni and GD without any requirements and monthly payments for air...

+ you can get individual prices at Epik...
@Rob Monster , right?

Exactly when Uniregistry wanted to go all Amazon Prime with subscriptions, I just transferred out.

•••
I'm curious to know what kind of domains Godaddy is getting in this deal. Uniregistry's portfolio is huge and many domains there are supposed to be great but there must be some domains there that stand out. If anybody has some insights and can chime in, please do.

Name Administration's portfolio, Uniregistry is a registrar with about 1.3 million domains, 350,000 being Frank's domains.

•••
@equity78 Yeah, I know that. I'm just wondering if anybody has more specific information about the best domains in the bunch. Crazy good dictionary words, notable LLL, LLLL etc.

Last edited:
•••
Seems it was good timing as Epik was on the way up and Uni was really suffering because of the legal situation.

It seems I may have missed some news, what legal situation?

•••
Last edited:
•••
So what’s the failsafe if they sell a 6 figure name, for 4 figures out of the 350,000 that godaddy is going to own, before the deal gets done?

Last edited:
•••
•••
So what’s the failsafe if they sell a 6 figure name, for 4 figures out of the 350,000 that godaddy is going to own, before the deal gets done?

You know people will be looking for those mispriced names once listed on Namefind. A lot of names sold from Mike's (Berkens) portfolio for probably cheaper than Mike would have sold.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back