Dynadot

domains GoDaddy acquiring Uniregistry's registrar & marketplace, and Name Administration's domain portfolio

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
The first blockbuster deal of the decade. GoDaddy Inc. (NYSE: GDDY), the company that empowers everyday entrepreneurs, today announced it is acquiring Uniregistry's leading domain registrar and marketplace businesses. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. The deal is expected to close sometime in Q2 2020. The Uniregistry domain registry is not part of the … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
So of the registration business and new tlds are not included does it mean the main assets are the domain portfolio and the brokerage? It would be great if GD maintains the current UNI brokerage operation which is far better than the GD/AFTERNIC brokerage, really no comparison. I also wonder if GD will be closing UNIs Cayman Islands main broker office.

Last edited:
•••
GoDaddy is not rebranding. Please.

They have spent way too much money on that branding over the years.
They are the only well known domain company out there.

Brad

I predict that they Will change their name in the near future in order to be more fitting to the 2020 era, the old Parson days are gone and so are those distasteful ads.

By the way I have the perfect domain if they want to buy it, although I was planning to make something out of it myself, but if it helps them get passed the Daddy name I am willing to help them out here. As I said earlier a super famous brand can change their name to anything and people are still going to remember them just like Google and Alphabet, although my domain might be a little bit of a stretch, but I think anything is better than Daddy:

GoBrandable.com

IMO

•••
I predict that they Will change their name in the near future in order to be more fitting to the 2020 era, the old Parson days are gone and so are those distasteful ads.

By the way I have the perfect domain if they want to buy it, although I was planning to make something out of it myself, but if it helps them get passed the Daddy name I am willing to help them out here. As I said earlier a super famous brand can change their name to anything and people are still going to remember them just like Google and Alphabet, although my domain might be a little bit of a stretch, but I think anything is better than Daddy:

GoBrandable.com

IMO

Godaddy has more money than they know what to do with, spent half-billion in buybacks..

They‘ll just buy Go.com from Disney lol

wasnt another @Rob Monster prediction? ;)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for the article...here is a quote of the part that caught my eye: 'Competition continues to get smaller and smaller.'

Bad news for us all.

•••
GoDaddy is nice and professional company. I wish them luck.

•••
I thought it would be appropriate and interesting for people to read about Frank Schillings life story and his incredible succes in the domain industry .

This story was published in 2007 by Ron Jackson at DNJournal!
Thank you @Ron Jackson for documenting and publishing all the domain industry stories for generations to come! (y)

https://dnjournal.com/cover/2007/december.htm

•••
You will probably see a lot of them quit after a few months. Some of the veteran ones will
probably integrate into Afternic. They do have good relationships with repeat clients.

I imagine a couple of them will go independent...lots of clients and past deals to draw from. The will just have to wait out the no compete period.

•••
It's hard to do when you hard leads fed into your stream day, and night, with instant checkout options. All those names, and leads now gone. I think Afternic needs the help, but your right a few of the brokers will branch out much like Jeff, and saw.

•••
So of the registration business and new tlds are not included does it mean the main assets are the domain portfolio and the brokerage?
My understand is that Uni the registrar is included, but will continue to run as Uniregistry for now, but that the registry (for the two dozen new gTLDs)) is not included.

•••
I got this from a post in comment section of DomainInvesting.com;
Did Godaddy just buy their long awaited Afternic parking page, contact page platform.

Instead of building it out, they just bought it, and can put it to work pretty quickly.

Uni is the new afternic.

I tend to agree...

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I keep my names at Godaddy. Godaddy and my rep are great. Top class.

I use Uni sales landers for 95% of my names. Afternic 5%. I deal with all inquiries myself and after 30 days, if no communications with buyer or sale, Uni brokers take over. They are aggressive, what more do you want from a salesperson.

I wonder if Uni sales landers will be rebranded to GD?
How does all that get integrated? Will I have Godaddy on my emails to buyers :)

Sales...if I BIN out names...the sale should be seamless.This could be sweet.

I am not Afternic "Fast Track" fan. Sold name on a Thursday, received monies 11 days later...On a Monday.

Congrats to both parties.

•••
Twitter 2020-01-11

Dan: We'll challenge that (AN) Network
Godaddy: challenge accepted

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 23.23.11.png

•••
2020-01-30: GoDaddy has entered into an agreement to acquire South African social content startup Over (Made with Over)

read more (disrupt africa)

•••
Uniregistry doesn't spend money like Godaddy does to be on every channel, and radio station

In every major language on earth.

•••
•••
So... will Sedo be the only marketplace releasing weekly sales reports?

•••
•••
It really makes you wonder why the gTLD registry isn't included. Surely if they wanted it they could have had it as part of the acquisition?

Either it's that much of money spinner that it's worth holding on to on its own, or the opposite. I'm going to plump for the latter.

I really wonder if it's a strong indication about the success of gTLDs as a whole.

•••
It really makes you wonder why the gTLD registry isn't included. Surely if they wanted it they could have had it as part of the acquisition?

I am surprised they were not interested in such gems as .hiphop and .guitars and their close to 2,000 combined registrations. :)

Brad

•••
I am surprised they were not interested in such gems as .hiphop and .guitars and their close to 2,000 combined registrations. :)

Brad

.blackfriday is useless, since not global holiday

without looking #’s.. .link, .click prob their best.

Samer

Last edited:
•••

Either it's that much of money spinner that it's worth holding on to on its own, or the opposite. I'm going to plump for the latter.

I really wonder if it's a strong indication about the success of gTLDs as a whole.
Godaddy actually delisted some of their gtlds when they jacked up the renewals by a large %, godaddy did not want their customers to have that experience, so they no longer sold a certain # of extensions. I think it has to more do with the framework of managing these extensions, they are best suited for donuts which already has them in place. They didn't want Berkens premium GTLD's either when he sold his portfolio, but that is a different situation, it was more of a handpicked portfolio, instead of an actual extension.

I am sure the books were opened up, and if it was a pure profit business they would be a player, maybe it is not what we think of the profit side.

Last edited:
•••

I think it should be pretty obvious: because the registries are worth more to Donuts.

•••
I am sure the books were opened up, and if it was a pure profit business they would be a player, maybe it is not what we think of the profit side.

The old legacy extensions and the new extensions are like apples and oranges, just because you want to buy some apples doesn't mean that you also have to buy oranges and if you don't buy any oranges it doesn't mean that oranges are bad.

Most of the new extensions that Uni got were obtained first hand at the original application fee and if they are using the same backend service provider for tbem then the cost of maintaining them is minimal so even though new extensions might not be such a good investment for domainers, but that doesn't mean that Uni is eager to get rid of them and as the matter of fact they might even be looking forward to the new round of new extension release to expand their portfolio. So for GoDaddy to leave the new extensions out of the deal does not mean that they were not profitable it might just mean that they didn't want any oranges.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
The old legacy extensions and the new extensions are like apples and oranges, just because you want to buy some apples doesn't mean that you also have to buy oranges and if you don't buy any oranges it doesn't mean that oranges are bad.

Most of the new extensions that Uni got were obtained first hand at the original application fee and if they are using the same back end service provider for tbem then the cost of maintaining them is minimal so even though new extensions might not be such a good investment for domainers, but that doesn't mean that Uni is eager to get rid of them and as the matter of fact they might even be looking forward to the new round of new extension release to expand their portfolio. So for GoDaddy to leave the new extensions out of the deal does not mean that they were not profitable it might just mean that they didn't want any oranges.

IMO
During the Chinese Chip hype things were good, I think .link is one of their better extensions, and your right Donuts, or maybe Mr.Negari who I think they are partners in a few extensions with might be best suited to pay the most for them. As Brad said extensions like .hiphop are maybe not worth their application fee, could you imagine if someone registered .coin back in 2014,wham bam one time premium fee per name, and be done with it.

I think Frank is done, you need the Uni backend to manage these extensions, once those assets are turned over to Godaddy, he has to start all over, and I am sure Godaddy would have put a non compete clause as they would hate to have someone take their money, and start over competing with them. Maybe he will be an investor in other extensions, but I don't think the auction contentions that were being sold to the highest bidders, and the losers split the proceeds will be setup in the same manner.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back