IT.COM

marketplace Getting out of Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Has anyone like me been domaining for over a decade? If so what's your take on the industry and how has it changed. It seems to me the industry is dying because domains don't matter as much.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve been around over 20 years. I’m actually scaling up right now and having a good year already. I don’t think fundamentals have changed much. Depends on your business model I guess.

•••
I've been in domaining for 15+ years and similar to inforg, I have been ramping up acquisitions and making more sales YOY on a portfolio level (sales)/(domain count) And I agree on the business model.

•••
•••
This is my best year ever. Right now I have 3 names in negotiation on DAN and a pending sale on AN.

Got a lot of human look ups on my "meta" names and $500 offers, so there is that too.

Last edited:
•••
I bought my first D.name in 2011 and, so far, have not sold a single one. Since 2011, I have spent _thousands_ of dollars on D.names. I am greatly encouraged by recent macro-economic events, however, because many of my D.names relate to price inflation. I am hopeful that my names (some of which I have held since 2011) will finally become worth something due to the ongoing price inflation.

Furthermore, I am encouraged by what I have learnt here, on NamePros, relating to outbound sales because such learning leads me to believe that I can probably make a significant outbound sale.

In sum, although I still have not sold a single D.name, I am more hopeful than ever. I shan't give up.

•••
I bought my first D.name in 2011 and, so far, have not sold a single one. Since 2011, I have spent _thousands_ of dollars on D.names. I am greatly encouraged by recent macro-economic events, however, because many of my D.names relate to price inflation. I am hopeful that my names (some of which I have held since 2011) will finally become worth something due to the ongoing price inflation.

Furthermore, I am encouraged by what I have learnt here, on NamePros, relating to outbound sales because such learning leads me to believe that I can probably make a significant outbound sale.

In sum, although I still have not sold a single D.name, I am more hopeful than ever. I shan't give up.

So since 2011 your didnt sell anything !? and you keep paying for renewals from your pocket !?

•••

You aren't doing it right!

Glad you are on NP to get some advice and knowledge. Hopefully you can turn it around

•••

I am glad to read your post cause I am in same boat as you are. I am glad I am not alone. But I am slightly better than you are cause I ain't buying any more domains nor paying for the renewals any more. Ever heard the saying stop digging when you realize you are in a hole. :)

•••
Although I do miss the 2009-2015 domain market (tons of easy deals on the buying side), the market is doing okay so far imo. It's just way harder to get good deals but if you adapt to current market conditions and adjust your approach, you can still make decent profits. But yeah, it was much easier back then to be honest. But all markets have gotten harder imo. Just part of a cycle I guess.

•••
You would be quitting at exactly the wrong time. It won't be happening over night, but we are headed for a global recession. Yes you will have to pay your bills in the meantime and as it unwinds, but wealth is made during these times by savvy buyers...and what's coming will be worse than the great recession - peace out.

•••
You aren't doing it right!
Did you read any part of my reply other than the first two sentences? No? I did not think so.

•••
Newbie191 replied thus:

I am glad to read your post cause I am in same boat as you are. I am glad I am not alone. But I am slightly better than you are cause I ain't buying any more domains nor paying for the renewals any more.

Newbie191, I am doing just the OPPOSITE. I have recently bought quite a few MORE D.names, largely because those D.names relate to the ongoing price inflation. I am certain that, in a few years' time, the inflation shall be far worse than it is now. IMO, inflation shall soon be far worse than it was in the early 1980's. Indeed, inflation is likely to become the central issue of our time, even before the hyper-inflationary tsunami hits the USA later in this decade (to wit, before 2031).

Stated differently, in 2009, I realized that, in the USA, high inflation was all but inevitable, largely due to the wholly criminal monetary policy of the federal government. I did NOT realize that the inflation would be so delayed, however, and I was forced to be VERY patient with my D.names. Since 2011, I have been biding my time, waiting for the inflation to arrive. And it has finally done so. Hallelujah!!

•••
You would be quitting at exactly the wrong time. It won't be happening over night, but we are headed for a global recession. Yes, you will have to pay your bills in the meantime and as it unwinds, but wealth is made during these times by savvy buyers . . . and [ the coming recession shall ] be worse than the great recession [ of 2008-2009 ] -- peace out.

Yes. That is EXACTLY the correct answer. Over the next several years, those who make the most money (from D.name speculation) shall be those who understood, years ago, that hyper-inflation and DEPRESSION would eventually smack the USA. I have been waiting for the hyper-inflation since 2011!!

I cannot wait for the price of petroleum to hit $250 per barrel!! YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!

Last edited:
•••
Yes. That is EXACTLY the correct answer. Over the next several years, those who make the most money (from D.name speculation) shall be those who understood, years ago, that hyper-inflation and DEPRESSION would eventually smack the USA. I have been waiting for the hyper-inflation since 2011!!

I cannot wait for the price of petroleum to hit $250 per barrel!! YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!

Would you mind to share some of your domains related to price inflation that will shine during
the the hyper inflation & very high petrol price $250 !??

Last edited:
•••
You have a slump going on a bit right now. You have the war in Ukraine, high inflation, iffy stock market, and the time of year (summer can be more quiet), covid is trying to die down. The gTLD's are nipping at .com but not destroying it due to the availability of them and the less than premium prices (but less than premium quality too!), this is throwing people off from the best names in .com - they will eventually come crawling back. .com is king and I myself do own some other variants.

Last edited:
•••
Did you read any part of my reply other than the first two sentences? No? I did not think so.
You spent thousands of dollars and haven't sold a single name in over a decade. No, I think I got it just fine.

What are some of these fabulous names that nobody else has wanted in the last 10+ years that are going to magically make you some money?

•••
You spent thousands of dollars and haven't sold a single name in over a decade. No, I think I got it just fine.

What are some of these fabulous names that nobody else has wanted in the last 10+ years that are going to magically make you some money?
Not sure if the poster is serious or joking.

Unless he's got a 6 figure salary to support him, throwing thousands on names each year is gonna leave him broke.

•••

10 years without a sale means you are doing something very wrong. You will never make a sale unless you figure out what is wrong and fixing it.

•••
Would you mind to share some of your domains related to price inflation that will shine during
the the hyper inflation & very high petrol price $250 !??

Yeah. I gotta see those too. LOL.

•••
Yeah. I gotta see those too. LOL.
I wouldn't take the poster so serious. No sane person would waste 11 years of money holding names that haven't sold.

•••

paulbain I'm only going to say it once. Don't change my words in a quote, could give half an F that you liked it.​

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back