IT.COM

Get Your Whois lookup count at GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

barman

Top Member
Impact
I stumbled on this the other day. I don't know if it's useful but I thought it was interesting.

You can export data about your domains at Godaddy and two of those columns are Whois lookups for the previous month and current month.

Is the data accurate?
No idea if these are bot lookups or what. I'm assuming these are counts of people using the godaddy.com/whois lookup tool.

What could you do with this data?
Probably nothing. If you're getting a good amount of lookups on a name every month then it might be worth investigating why (unless you're already confident its a great name). But if your domain is getting 0 whois lookups month after month, then yeah, it might be garbage.

Step 1: More > Export List
usIG0co.png

Step 2: Select Whois Data Columns
gJDH4MN.png

Step 3: Export CSV. Wait.

Step 4: Sort by Columns in your Spreadsheet editor of choice.
yDuWqjL.png

Step 5: Profit...?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are ways to do this a bit better.

The control panel shows you the whois count and color-codes to show you if the domain is getting repeat lookups from the same IP address. This is in the Performance Tab.

upload_2019-2-16_15-51-17.png

If you click on the number itself, it will show you a tail report of the last 6 months of WHOIS lookup by IP address and date/time so you can investigate who might be checking.

Where possible, we remove bots and crawlers, e.g. Estibot and others who crawl the WHOIS regularly.

You can also export out the data -- CSV export includes WHOIS count as one of the selectable outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
But Godaddy seems to have removed this feature in the redesigned control panel.

Anyone else can confirm?

•••
But Godaddy seems to have removed this feature in the redesigned control panel.

Anyone else can confirm?

It is still available in the Advanced list view in DCC (dcc.godaddy.com/domains?showAdvanceListView=true&prog_id=PROG_ID), see the Help article for creating an exportable list of your domains (godaddy.com/help/create-an-exportable-list-of-my-domains-3681).
Sorry I can't post links yet.

•••
Yes, godaddy removed the whois search export with the redesign. Major loss.

•••
When checking All columns in the Export dialog, the last ones were WhoIsCountsPrevDay, WhoIsCountsPrevWeek, WhoIsCountsPrevMonth, WhoIsCountsCurrentDay, WhoIsCountsCurrentWeek, WhoIsCountsCurrentMonth. You don't get those?

•••
@Namersen I actually just exported using all columns and you are correct..... the whois is there. Thanks for the that. I gave up on the functionality. Now I am going to be wasting my time again looking LOL

•••
Yes, godaddy removed the whois search export with the redesign. Major loss.
No.

It is still there. See other replies in his thread.

I too found it very late.

•••
@Joe Styler

Any chance you could look into having these seamlessly integrated into the column options, rather than relying on the export work-around?

Cheers,
Joshua

•••
@Joe Styler

This export stopped working on February 5th. Or am I missing something? Will it be fixed?

•••
It will be fixed. I am not sure when but the developers are working on it.

•••
Almost 3 months now and still has not been fixed. Any update?

•••
Its still being worked on. We had a meeting about it this week.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back