Dynadot

.tv Geo .tv domains, "The emporer has no clothes."

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The curtain has been pulled and I think the bidding on the geo's will come as a surprise to some today,

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

I thought there would be some level of support still existing in the market but people voted with their wallets today. After 4 years of failed development attempts by domainers and hundreds of thousands in wasted reg fees people have come back to reality on these names.

I think it is pretty apparent that alot of the prior geo sales (even recent ones) that some have grossly overestimated the market.

I've been saying for a while that the geo's .tv's are not the gold standard, they are mostly "trophy names", typically somewhat vague names that are very hard and costly to develop. Even still two sold today are far better targeted than most. Obviously transactions like Italy.tv and California.tv are looking pretty poor today in comparison.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nebraska.net for $3,251

This is right either, sold for $8005.

Yet, unlike Nebraska.net (which has always been parked so far), Nebraska.tv is owned and fully developed by ABC (despite the fact that Jeff keeps repeating that there's no development in .tv).
And NorthDakota.tv is owned by MrRhee, i am sure i am not speaking out of turn when i say he would never sell it for $1,751

the geo.tv emperor has no clothes ( in Snoops opinion), the geo.net emperor has no skin and no bones left...

I don't see how the sale is a good sign for nebraska.tv. The name is developed that is all you can really say. Not sure why people continue to pretend I am hear speaking in favour of .net. I'm very negative on the extension, to the point where I have sold all of mind over the last couple of years except a few. All I'm saying is that to think .tv is valued higher in the marketplace is foolish. As an example the .tv market has just had a record reported price, 100k. Compare that to .net.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

To my ears, GEO.tv is the best second or third choice for a GEO TLD, taking into account gTLD, ccTLDs and pseudo gTLDs.

#1: Geo.com
#2: If you live in strong ccTLD country, GEO.yourCCTLD (UK, DE, etc)
#3: Geo.tv

--
As for the rest, I simply don't know what would be better:

Geo.net: Still has residual value from its early days but I can't visualize what I would expect to find there (or on most .nets for that matter)

Geo.org: Non-profit orientation.

Geo.info: Boring, long, again not clear what will be there

Geo.travel: Way too long

Geo.biz, Geo.cc, Geo.ws, Geo.name, Geo.me: Please..

Geo.SomeOtherccTLDThatIsNotWhereTheGeoIs (e.g. Aegypten.de): Weird...

Geo.TheHighlyBrandableDotWebThatWillComeToMarketSomeDay: We'll let Jeff take these :)

So, in practice:

Nebraska.com (great)
Nebraska.us (not so much; would be different if this was London.co.uk)
Nebraska.tv (yup, I can imagine this)

[the rest just don't jump out at me]
--
Nebraska.net (best of the rest, but still, hard to visualize. More or less in the same league as .tv for GEO in practice I think but I think .tv is better in the long run)
Nebraska.org
Nebraska.info
Nebraska.travel
Nebraska.biz
Nebraska.cc
Nebraska.ws
Nebraska.me
Nebraska.name
Nebraska.web

Rose colored glasses in my view. I think you are seeing what you want to see.

•••

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

What is your view, in terms of how extensions rank with geos?
No question .com is #1 but what about the rest?
I would take org 2nd and tv 3rd, but thats just me.

I like org. It is an established extension, and to me seems much more professional for geo development than dot net/info. Also, I think org will see an increase in value in the future but that may just be my bias.

In terms of long term/development potential I like .TV. Despite being a vanity niche collector cctld:snaphappy:, it really is the only (current) cctld that can be effectively marketed on a worldwide scale IMO.

Imagine a radio, tv, or print ad running in North America and ending with a visual or voice message stating: "To plan your next vacation visit - London.tv / London.de (or any other cctld) " Which one would be more effective? Heck, even through net and info in there.

I only own 4 .tv's (no geos)so I'm am not a .tv pumper or diehard. I do feel in terms of current prices and future possiblities, there are some bargains to be had.

Anyways, how would you rank them and where do you see prices going for .tv/net/info in the long term?

Last edited:
•••
What is your view, in terms of how extensions rank with geos?
No question .com is #1 but what about the rest?
I would take org 2nd and tv 3rd, but thats just me.

.net
.org

Would put .tv a rung down with .info/.biz etc.

Despite being a vanity niche collector cctld:snaphappy:, it really is the only (current) cctld that can be effectively marketed on a worldwide scale IMO.

Imagine a radio, tv, or print ad running in North America and ending with a visual or voice message stating: "To plan your next vacation visit - London.tv / London.de (or any other cctld) " Which one would be more effective? Heck, even through net and info in there.

This is a total non argument. Obviously a .de isn't going to be advertised in North America and a .co.uk probably isn't a good extension for Botswana. That is because these country codes are used as country codes.

•••

Really, thank you Dr. Obvious. Antonis said "to his ears"... and in my opinion, .TV sounds better, looks better, and has a greater potential than .net to become ubiquitous.

When it comes down to it, everyone sees what they want to see. If a buyer/domainer prefers .NET over .TV or vice versa, why does it bother you so much?

You assume that only your view of things is correct. You are often condescending. You try to force your valuations and concerns* down our throats every chance you get. Instead of adding substance to the debate, you're like a religious cult member trying to save us from ourselves because you think that ONLY you know the truth. Oh Snoop, great guru, what would like us to do? Drop our portfolios? On Snoop, great wannabe leader, where would you like us to follow you? Since you are so eager to show us we're wrong, give us some great examples of what we can expect if we take your advice? List some of your greatest accomplishments. If you are putting yourself front and center, be prepared to back it up. In a way, you're exactly like Jeff: he keeps telling us that none of the .TV news is good unless we develop our domains. While that's fine for some people, development is not for all. When we ask Jeff, since he always brings up the topic, to back up his advice with his own personal development examples ands success stories... he conveniently ignores the request each & every time.

So if someone is going to tell me that I my path is wrong and only their's is right (Jeff & Snoop) while constantly forcing their views upon me... back it up with your OWN examples, or imHo, STFU.

If the .TV section was a Church for .TV believers, I wonder how long the naysayers would last constantly trying to break into the Church to tell all the members their beliefs are wrong. What would compel the non-believers to do that? What would their agenda be? First of all, it isn't effective at all, to come barging into someone else's church screaming that everyone in the church is facing doom & gloom. Next, if the non-believers were asked to back up their statements with any kind of personal examples/reasons/beliefs and could never produce any reply of substance, it just becomes irritating NOISE and shows just how much disrespect the non-believers have for the church members (i.e. Jeff telling us all to develop but refusing to show us his personal examples). It speaks volumes that the non-believers in .TV don't reply with substance (i.e. Snoop always forcing his advice on us without being able to show personal examples of success).

What bothers me is that the non-believers rely on a strategy to discredit our beliefs by repeating the same thing every chance they get, during every church function, repeating the same garbage over & over again hoping to cause friction & doubt. But the worst part is when non-believers work their way into the church's own membership, as a wolf in sheeps' clothing, trying to tear to down from within...trying to pretend they are concerned* for us all... because they believe that is their calling... to save us all from ourselves.

•••
.net
.org

.biz is a dead extension and .info has its severe limitations.

•••
.net
.org

Thanks Snoop. I am sure many of us would love to have a premium geo in any of the three. Good to know that experienced domainers such as yourself consider a Geo.tv in the same company as a Geo info.
Says a lot about the value of the extension in my opinion and the future value as tv gains in popularity.

This is a total non argument. Obviously a .de isn't going to be advertised in North America and a .co.uk probably isn't a good extension for Botswana. That is because these country codes are used as country codes.

I agree with you that a geo.tv is a great choice for international marketing compared to other cctlds which are limited to being used as srtictly country codes due to their strictly regional appeal and focus.

Last edited:
•••
To briefly clarify from Rhea's inquiry/post above ... I don't own any .TV domains, therefore I wouldn't have any developed sites in same. :gl:
Secondly, I would rank the niche / vanity ccTLD ".TV" in the same general vicinity of the unprofessional ".BIZ" and awkward ".MOBI" (all below the level of the ".INFO") ... and just above the other struggling ccTLD's of .CC, .WS, and .ME, IMHO. :red:

All the best,
Jeff B-)

•••
To briefly clarify from Rhea's inquiry/post above ... I don't own any .TV domains, therefore I wouldn't have any developed sites in same. :gl:

Jeff B-)

That's cool Mr H.

But TLD is moot... since you're always telling us that development is important/necessary, and I for one agree (but not the one forcing my advice down everyone's throats), many of us would like to learn from your example and see some of your great developed sites. This is truly ON TOPIC considering you keep bringing it up.

So, if you continue to advise us to develop... with deepest respect for your NamePros status... I sincerely will continue to be curious about your developed sites. :talk:

This is a healthy and ON TOPIC discussion on the #1 NamePros.

So we are ready Jeff, please provide links, urls, etc. :great::hi::bingo::snaphappy:

•••
That's cool Mr H.

But TLD is moot... since you're always telling us that development is important/necessary, and I for one agree (but not the one forcing my advice down everyone's throats), many of us would like to learn from your example and see some of your great developed sites. This is truly ON TOPIC considering you keep bringing it up.

So, if you continue to advise us to develop... with deepest respect for your NamePros status... I sincerely will continue to be curious about your developed sites. :talk:

So we are ready Jeff, please provide links, urls, etc. :great::hi::bingo::snaphappy:

I second that motion...:P

•••
.biz is a dead extension and .info has its severe limitations.

Personally I see .tv somewhat between the two. You can make up all sorts of excuses, .biz is dead, .info in limited but .tv is a comparable extension. Indeed in the recent Sedo auctions 1 character .biz names sold for higher prices than 1 char .tv's.

4.tv $5,555
3.tv $4,655
5.tv $4,655
2.tv $4,600
0.tv $3,100

1.biz – $32,003
2.biz – $5,801
4.biz – $7,601
5.biz – $7,601
6.biz – $8,100
7.biz – $7,877
8.biz -$8,200
9.biz – $7,901

a.biz – $10,099
b.biz – $10,055
c.biz – $8,988
d. biz - $26,110
e.biz – $66,001
f.biz – $8,250
g.biz – $9400
h.biz – $8,177
j.biz – $8,250
k.biz – $6,900
l.biz – $7,999
m.biz – $15,611
n.biz – $8,001
p.biz – $7,878
r.biz – $8,855
s.biz – $8,211
t.biz – $7,602
u.biz – $10,099
v.biz – $6,100
w.biz – $13,500
x.biz – $10,099
y.biz – $8,988
z.biz – $8,988

Single Character .Biz Auction Pulls In Over $360,000 at Sedo | Domain Name News

•••
Why does anyone care?

A parked x.biz is worth less than a well developed x.tv? and vice-versa.

Hell, a well developed x.mobi could be worth more than a x.com.

Everyone needs to get over the pissing match.

BTW a.biz and b.biz link to Sedo.. hell of a development job there from the certified end user. Everything is relative.

•••
BTW a.biz and b.biz link to Sedo.. hell of a development job there from the certified end user. Everything is relative.

These are domain auctions, not sales of developed sites.

•••
In a way, you're exactly like Jeff: he keeps telling us that none of the .TV news is good unless we develop our domains. While that's fine for some people, development is not for all.

Again, development of .TV's and its "ecosystem" is paramount (versus, say, .COM or .NET or .ORG, as they are long established TLD's) ... as it's not an established extension! :yell: :imho:
Please PM me directly for a list of my developed ".TV" domains/websites! :rolleyes:

Why does anyone care?

I believe you may have misread the quoted .BIZ domain name auction sales and its comparison with similar .TV domain name auction / sales; none of them were sales of developed websites IMHO.
I do care about actively discussing the .TV, as well ... and I think - back on topic - that Geo's (sans hefty annual renewal fees, of course) may provide an unique opportunity for exciting new content/development(s)! :talk:
IMHO.

All the best,
Jeff B-)

•••
These are domain auctions, not sales of developed sites.

Without development and end user blah blah to create and ecosystem blah blah.... regfee.

I think it's clearly been established that .COM is king. Specific country code is next. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder - excuse me, I meant developer.

.TV, best for developing Tuvalu sites, at least.

The biz auction is as misleading for .biz as the tv auction was for .TV

Single char domains are going to be premium prices when put in direct bidding war when coincident with the Big O making a claim.

The single chars in the .TV were competing with MUCH BETTER keywords so were relegated to "second choice". But the aftermarket is still to be determined for TV and is 7 months have passed since the BIZ auction.

At a personal level - I used to pooh-pooh TV until I had a reg fee opportunity for a website that "makes sense" as a TV that was previously out of my price range due to the premium renewals. I would pooh pooh BIZ today and forever because it just sounds cheezy. Doesn't mean it can't be used in a serious fashion.

It's all in the eye. One buyer might like .biz one might like .tv and it all depends on the goal - usually the .com is gone :) Pretty sure you can make money in both. Don't think either increases the size of your...
ego.

•••
The biz auction is as misleading for .biz as the tv auction was for .TV

Single char domains are going to be premium prices when put in direct bidding war when coincident with the Big O making a claim.

The single chars in the .TV were competing with MUCH BETTER keywords so were relegated to "second choice". But the aftermarket is still to be determined for TV and is 7 months have passed since the BIZ auction.

At a personal level - I used to pooh-pooh TV until I had a reg fee opportunity for a website that "makes sense" as a TV that was previously out of my price range due to the premium renewals. I would pooh pooh BIZ today and forever because it just sounds cheezy. Doesn't mean it can't be used in a serious fashion.

See the market for what it is rather than think everything is misleading/exceptional/excuse worthy. When the same .biz names sell for more that is not a market where .tv is miles away from .biz or .info, these are comparable extensions. .tv is really three rungs down in the pecking order of gltd's, that is life and it is foolish to compare it to country codes as J73 has tried to do, it is only a country code in a very techincal sense.

You don't like .biz or think it is dead.....well some don't like .tv and think it is dead aswell. Some people love .tv and some people love .biz, I can understand both viewpoints. That is probably why they sell for similar amounts. The $$$ (prices paid) says it all. But wait in the .tv everyone thinks .tv is far better than .biz or .info...shock horror....go to the .info forum and they'll be saying how .tv sucks.

•••
See the market for what it is rather than think everything is misleading/exceptional/excuse worthy. When the same .biz names sell for more that is not a market where .tv is miles away from .biz or .info, these are comparable extensions. .tv is really three rungs down in the pecking order of gltd's, that is life and it is foolish to compare it to country codes as J73 has tried to do, it is only a country code in a very techincal sense.

You don't like .biz or think it is dead.....well some don't like .tv and think it is dead aswell. Some people love .tv and some people love .biz, I can understand both viewpoints. That is probably why they sell for similar amounts. The $$$ (prices paid) says it all. But wait in the .tv everyone thinks .tv is far better than .biz or .info...shock horror....go to the .info forum and they'll be saying how .tv sucks.

I probably agree with you; however, if I go to the .info forum will I find people who endlessly say how much .info sucks or do they get left mostly left alone to live with their own deluded opinions ? Just wondering out loud if those with superior knowledge are equal opportunity fountains of knowledge :imho: ;)

•••
•••

ha ha ha. very true. .biz sounds horrible to my ears, but there is probably an Antonis12.Biz somewhere in the world who thinks it sounds fantastic and .tv sounds idiotic.

•••
Anyone have any experience approaching local businesses in order to sell ad space? I was just thinking how often I get local circulars in the mail from Michaels, Office Depot, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Party City, Best Buy, Home Depot, Macys, Publix, etc. How much does it cost to print and mail thousands of circulars every few weeks which most people just toss in the trash anyway? I live within walking distance of many big box stores and have the geo.tv for my city. Perhaps weekly promotions are managed at a corporate level though? Just rambling...

•••
That's cool Mr H.

Hey Joel,

Your never called when you say you were going to called. The only excuse was that you were having some "great sex" and you forget:) As the saying goes follow people actions and not there words. I am just giving you shit, but don't you know I am the most important person in the history of .tv (lol)

Thanks, Jim

•••
Jim,
Don't feel so bad. I am lower on the totem pole than you. Joel is way too busy with his new acquisitions. He forgot about the little people! :)

Joel, I kid I kid. I mean, I joke, I joke.

Best,
A

Hey Joel,

Your never called when you say you were going to called. The only excuse was that you were having some "great sex" and you forget:) As the saying goes follow people actions and not there words. I am just giving you shit, but don't you know I am the most important person in the history of .tv (lol)

Thanks, Jim

•••
Jim,
Don't feel so bad. I am lower on the totem pole than you. Joel is way too busy with his new acquisitions. He forgot about the little people! :)

Joel, I kid I kid. I mean, I joke, I joke.

Best,
A

Man, I'm also waiting to hear back from Joel... I guess their is a long line

•••
Richard,
Wow, I am moving lower and lower! You guys have killer names and capital. He will never get to me! :)

Best,
A

Man, I'm also waiting to hear back from Joel... I guess their is a long line

•••
Hopefully, Joel is hacking into the existing premium system at versign and changing them all to non-premium for us:)

I think everybody should go to "military boot camp" for 1 day, and see what happens if you don't do what you say your going to do.

I have a friend who is a "marine" stationed in San Diego. We play basketball all the time, and if I am 1 minute late, he is "fu%^king pissed. His response is: "Jim, don't say your going to be here at a certain time and not be here. Don't waste my time." And this is a good friend.

I always enjoyed doing business with military people or former military people because they always do what they say they are going to do. San Diego is a big military town, and done lot's of business over the years with them, and "words" mean nothing, "action" means everything. That is how things should be.

Thanks, Jim

•••
Wow,

I dont feel so bad now.

I was on the I'll call you about it tomorrow, Joel list too...

...Yesterday, LOL

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back