Dynadot

.tv Geo .tv domains, "The emporer has no clothes."

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
The curtain has been pulled and I think the bidding on the geo's will come as a surprise to some today,

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

I thought there would be some level of support still existing in the market but people voted with their wallets today. After 4 years of failed development attempts by domainers and hundreds of thousands in wasted reg fees people have come back to reality on these names.

I think it is pretty apparent that alot of the prior geo sales (even recent ones) that some have grossly overestimated the market.

I've been saying for a while that the geo's .tv's are not the gold standard, they are mostly "trophy names", typically somewhat vague names that are very hard and costly to develop. Even still two sold today are far better targeted than most. Obviously transactions like Italy.tv and California.tv are looking pretty poor today in comparison.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Gents,

I am the buyer on both of those.

I am surprised they went that low. I threw in a bid not particularly expecting to get them and I am thrilled that nobody pushed me on them because they would have won them.

I personally think they are not just a better value-for-money than most of the more expensive domains that sold today, but better in an absolute sense as well.

Whether you call it trophy value or what have you, the fact remains that those are 2 of the 4 largest economies in the world. Whether it is tourism or trade promotion, I am hard-pressed to envision a scenario where you could not generate $10K of value back over time against them. I don't think the primary value is local content for locals; that would logically be in japanese or german. but for someone visiting those countries, then EnglishNameofCountry is really the most useful.

I try to stick to my 1% .com to .tv rule of thumb (most of the time; I make one exception that I will not discuss right now) and by that metric, I feel happy to have purchased them. The .com of each of these would be a $1M (or + ) domain, so $10K is fine.

It it accurate to say that they are a better value than some high renewal premiums? Yup. Does that mean anything? Not really to me. As I have said before, the correct answer is to not worry about what you did in the past and look at what options are in front of you today.

I do think there is also a matter of perspective. The GEO owners that I have seen in .tv tend to prefer US cities to international countries. Fair enough, it is a reasonable point of view. I will take the opposite side of that trade. But I spend almost half my year based in Europe so it is perhaps easier for me to see how one could make something happen with this.

Thanks,

Antonis

•••
Aside from large-scale media operations who might be using a .tv for whatever purpose, can anyone point me to an independently owned geo.tv that's an earning enterprise?

This isn't a 'challenge' because I don't think it can be done. I'm not a .tv afficianado and am genuinely curious. Personally speaking, I have no interest what 'domainers' or 'domain speculators' or 'domain collectors' are paying for the domains themselves. Great fools, greater fools and the greatest fools...

My main interest is seeing some of the better ones developed into sites that generate meaningful amounts of revenue (not cheeseburgers on Adsense, etc) as an independant operation.

Like, "here's England.tv. It has 24 employees and generates 5mm a year..." or something along those lines.

The biggest fool is he who speaks with the arrogance of ignorance.

SexyBeijing.TV

Arrogance An attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.
[Merriam-Webster]

•••
Not 100 % in agreement. Never been a Geo.tv guy. But I think the pricing is not a surprise and some I know of at least one person outside of the US who could not get the info Sedo needed to bid over $10,000.

Japan is a great name, but I am sure the IDN for Japan is better since obviously the whole country speaks Japanese and only a portion speaks English although it may be a decent portion.

$10,000 sale for .tv is always good. It can be tried to be spun but it does not matter. sell a .tv in this economy especially for xx,xxx is a good sale. I mean you sold one of the keywords with the biggest buzz in years. Healthcare in the .net extension for $22,000. I sold a lousy .tv for more than that. I guess .net not only has no clothes but it has no balls.

•••
...I guess .net not only has no clothes but it has no balls.

:laugh:

...and I suspect it will also lose its ass once the .tv extension seriously takes wing as well!

•••
Geo domains are all about tourism in my view. ie marketing to people outside the area. Local languages don't make much sense to me, that is basically a local news name in my view rather than being a high value tourism name.

•••
Copy/Paste from the other thread: "IMHO, it makes more sense to buy/develop a geo (country or city) in the native language. For example: Deutschland.tv would have more value than Germany.tv. Japanese people would probably prefer Nippon.tv rather than Japan.tv..."

California.tv is great.
But for me, italia.tv makes more sense than italy.tv

•••
Snoop I am not a big Geo.tv guy and have written about it in a balanced view imo. But I do think any .tv sale for $10,000 plus is a good sale.
Michael Bilyk is a savvy guy with development know how as well. So if he liked Italy and Sweden I am sure he has a plan.

•••
Deutschland.tv would have more value than Germany.tv. Japanese people would probably prefer Nippon.tv rather than Japan.tv..."

California.tv is great.
But for me, italia.tv makes more sense than italy.tv

When was the last time a local langauge name sold for alot as compared to geos with tourist appeal? (in any extension) I don't see why Nippon.tv would be prized over Japan.tv.

•••
From the stats of the geo.tv that I hold, I can tell you that most part of the traffic comes from the local area... So I would see a geo.tv in a 'patriotic' way rather than in a 'tourism' point of view.

•••
Was the buyer(s) of either / both underappreciated (or overhyped) "Germany.TV" and/or "Japan.TV" ... involved in the bidding or purchase of any other Sedo auction .TV's? :blink:
IYHO.

Regards,
Jeff B-)

•••
Was the buyer(s) of either / both underappreciated (or overhyped) "Germany.TV" and/or "Japan.TV" ... involved in the bidding or purchase of any other Sedo auction .TV's? :blink:
IYHO.

Regards,
Jeff B-)

You know full well that we do not know the buyers, yet you have copied and pasted the almost exact same post from the business.tv thread into this one, even after admitting in that thread you know full well that we have no idea who the buyers are at this stage on Sedo.

If this isn't considered trolling i am at a loss to know what is.

You are making a complete fool of yourself, it's laughable.

•••
... you know full well that we have no idea who the buyers are at this stage on Sedo.

That's why I'm repeating, patience ... please ... IMHO. :gl:

Thanks for understanding,
Jeff B-)

•••
The curtain has been pulled and I think the bidding on the geo's will come as a surprise to some today,

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

I thought there would be some level of support still existing in the market but people voted with their wallets today. After 4 years of failed development attempts by domainers and hundreds of thousands in wasted reg fees people have come back to reality on these names.

I think it is pretty apparent that alot of the prior geo sales (even recent ones) that some have grossly overestimated the market.

I've been saying for a while that the geo's .tv's are not the gold standard, they are mostly "trophy names", typically somewhat vague names that are very hard and costly to develop. Even still two sold today are far better targeted than most. Obviously transactions like Italy.tv and California.tv are looking pretty poor today in comparison.

Well said Snoop!

Looks like the Geo market really took a hit.

Anyone looking to unload before the market completely caves in, PM me, as you might be able to recoup some of your massive losses.

•••

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

I would have to agree snoop ... if a $100,000 sale is the best a .TV

domain can fetch ... the extension is doomed as a competitive

alternative.

•••
From the stats of the geo.tv that I hold, I can tell you that most part of the traffic comes from the local area... So I would see a geo.tv in a 'patriotic' way rather than in a 'tourism' point of view.

If you see it like that then not much can expected sales wise. The success stories in .com for geo names (which spurred people to register alot of geo .tv's) revolve around tourism. That is where the money is. There isn't much of business model in domainers trying to provide news services or information to residents. Take a look at Associated Cities for example and see how many sites are not about tourism.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

I would have to agree snoop ... if a $100,000 sale is the best a .TV

domain can fetch ... the extension is doomed as a competitive

alternative.

That isn't what I am saying at all. I'm talking about the geo sales, the rest of the auction was roughly what I expected except for the top sale (100k) being somewhat higher than I would have thought.

•••
understood snoop ... what do you make of the Christmas.TV sale ?

•••
Snoop,

I am tired of talk. I will bet you $1,000 that I will sell England.tv more than 2x I paid for it within the next year. Put your "money" where your mouth is.

Thanks, JIm

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

•••
understood snoop ... what do you make of the Christmas.TV sale ?

Higher than I would have thought personally.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Snoop,

I am tired of talk. I will bet you $1,000 that I will sell England.tv more than 2x I paid for it within the next year. Put your "money" where your mouth is.

Thanks, JIm

Not sure what you are on about with all this. Good luck with your sale though.

•••
Snoop, selling two geos for 10k+, means the emperor is at least wearing his underwear.

But I agree that there are so many fewer buyers for countries than there would have been had any american geo city been on offer in the auction.

Imagine if NewYork had been in the auction or Texas or Malibu, Brooklyn, all at normal reg fee, we would have seen mid to high xx,xxx sales IMHO.

The thing is - is that they are all gone, so there was nothing of value to US domainers/developers.

Now I agree that the emperor dances naked in the street if we are talking about xxxx premium geo renewals....so once those names drop or a deal is done with Verisign and turn in to reg fee renewals, you will see these Us city names sell for much higher than 10k. Much much higher.

Somehow, I doubt any of them will be on the market though for a long time or dropped anytime soon.

•••

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

Based on my conversation with the buyer earlier today, they are happy and have no complaints. Enough said. So Snoopy... keep trolling... imho, it's the only thing you are good at.

Trolls will do anything to spin things their way, trying to rain on the parade. When will trolls realize their insight is meaningless?

Snoop, I'm glad you are so concerned (see sig).

----------

Last edited:
•••
•••
Snoop you don't know what Discover now is on about ? Are you kidding. He is saying you are criticizing Geo.tv and he would like to bet you that he will sell a "GEO.TV" his Geo.tv England.tv for double what he paid for the name. You could say no bet, but to say you don't understand. I think a 10 year old could understand what he was talking about.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back