IT.COM

.tv Geo .tv domains, "The emporer has no clothes."

NameSilo
Watch
The curtain has been pulled and I think the bidding on the geo's will come as a surprise to some today,

Japan.tv $10,099
Germany.tv $10,099

I thought there would be some level of support still existing in the market but people voted with their wallets today. After 4 years of failed development attempts by domainers and hundreds of thousands in wasted reg fees people have come back to reality on these names.

I think it is pretty apparent that alot of the prior geo sales (even recent ones) that some have grossly overestimated the market.

I've been saying for a while that the geo's .tv's are not the gold standard, they are mostly "trophy names", typically somewhat vague names that are very hard and costly to develop. Even still two sold today are far better targeted than most. Obviously transactions like Italy.tv and California.tv are looking pretty poor today in comparison.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
100 posts of opinion dressed up as fact for no useful pupose whatsoever. Congrats all!

•••
Aside from large-scale media operations who might be using a .tv for whatever purpose, can anyone point me to an independently owned geo.tv that's an earning enterprise?

This isn't a 'challenge' because I don't think it can be done. I'm not a .tv afficianado and am genuinely curious. Personally speaking, I have no interest what 'domainers' or 'domain speculators' or 'domain collectors' are paying for the domains themselves. Great fools, greater fools and the greatest fools...

My main interest is seeing some of the better ones developed into sites that generate meaningful amounts of revenue (not cheeseburgers on Adsense, etc) as an independant operation.

Like, "here's England.tv. It has 24 employees and generates 5mm a year..." or something along those lines.

Last edited:
•••
If you look at any successful business foray in the past, people would have said the same thing you are saying here snoop. early 90's, .com's, the emperor has no clothes, what would you do with a domain name, stick it up your ass!!! Now everybody wants a .com. I am not saying .tv will be hugely successful. It may, it may not. People have a foresight, they buy it.

May be in 5 years, you would think i wish I had boguth a geo.tv. May be not.. Just because a name sells for less, it doesn't mean the extension doen't sell. .com's quite frequently get sold for less. And some of them get resold for higher prices. Just because of that we don't say lol, .com, emperor has no clothes. If it was like that you wouldn't have been here buying .com's for less and flipping them later. Thats where the value is and thats what we are all after, even the sedo buyers. Buy for less, sell for more...Thats business

Well said Mahesh.

And it points out the fact the main reason why domainer/developer is buying a .tv - Investment. Right now as market shows .tv is small investment, but you never know. IMHO, every auction starts with some hype(nothing bad), for somebody it's overpriced, for others it's an opportunity. It really depends on which side you are.

•••
Aside from large-scale media operations who might be using a .tv for whatever purpose, can anyone point me to an independently owned geo.tv that's an earning enterprise?

This isn't a 'challenge' because I don't think it can be done. I'm not a .tv afficianado and am genuinely curious. Personally speaking, I have no interest what 'domainers' or 'domain speculators' or 'domain collectors' are paying for the domains themselves. Great fools, greater fools and the greatest fools...

My main interest is seeing some of the better ones developed into sites that generate meaningful amounts of revenue (not cheeseburgers on Adsense, etc) as an independant operation.

Like, "here's England.tv. It has 24 employees and generates 5mm a year..." or something along those lines.

prague.tv

no idea about its financials but they have a team and have been going for years so either they have investment capital or they are earning money

•••
prague.tv

no idea about its financials but they have a team and have been going for years so either they have investment capital or they are earning money

LOL. That's a city portal/guide template (with work done, granted). For $100, a $12 hostgator account and a $8 hourly Latvian coder, you too can have something similar. It may as well be Prague.cc.

I'm more interested in people who are leveraging the "TV" aspect by producing original video content on a geo.tv, then earning from revenue it.

Last edited:
•••

Last edited:
•••
Let me think I heard the owner of MyrtleBeach.com once say his site makes $1 million a year (likely top 1% of .COM sites) so to set the bar for .TV at $5 million annually por favor...

•••
•••
Cat Stevens

Last edited:
•••
Actually, no. It's a dead simple question with one simple qualifier. Not owned by a large, commercial media enterprise.

If .tv proponents consider this to be a "bullshit question", then I'd propose that .tv is a "bullshit extension", seeing as this question could be answered- quite easily- by proponents of pretty much every other major extension, save for those extensions where there are no such examples of meaningful development...

No, if there were a real world example of a successful geo.tv enterprise, a lot of the basic principles that geo.tv proponents advance as being the basis for geo.tv being so great and wonderful and keen would have something a bit stronger other than "potential in theory".

So far, it's all still very much 'in theory'.

Please, show me an example of a fully developed geo.tv that actually produces fresh, updated video content, akin to the "tv channel" model that .tv proponents claim to be the basis for .tv value.

I'm actually intrigued by the internet/tv interplay and I think it's going to be a bigger deal than people think- particularly with how revenue is generated, when commercials are an interactive affair. If you guys are getting ahead of that curve, cool beans, but for the most part, I'm just seeing more "domainers" acting like "domainers" - "acquiring stuff" with no direction, a tenuous connection to reality, no productivity or effort, grandiose flights of fancy that are codified in terms of a domain name that nothing meaningful is ever done with, etc, etc, etc... Just everyone in one big circle-jerk crowing about 'potential'.

Bottom line is this, ROI. I own England.tv since you mentioned it earlier. I bought it for $10,000. I probably won't develop it but sell it for $100,00 + within 2 years.

You want about 5-10 more examples to come? I don't care about Development, done it 3 times and been in this industry for 13 years. It takes away from time being with my 2 year old twins. If I never develop another site for the rest of my life, I will still do well.

It's about working "smart", having fun, ROI. Everything else is just "noise"

Thanks, Jim

•••
From what I understand (never done it), full-scale geo development of a decent size city is a significant undertaking beyond the financial capability of most individual domainers. Producing recurring original quality video is also as you state rather expensive. Scanning high-profile .COM sites MyrtleBeach.com & Atlanta.com I hardly see any video content and a limited number of photos. I used to live in Atlanta - three small photos each of Stone Mountain park, Underground & Six Flags and only one of Buckhead! Yes, the graphics and design are nice and there is considerable information and external links for each respective locale. They make good money without fresh original video production or massive numbers of quality photos.

When dealing with a smaller locale, how many videos do you really need? OK for special events maybe there is something worth shooting but does Fort Lauderdale or Miami Beach change every week?

•••
PalmSprings.com is one of the most profitable Geo's on the internet, $500,000+ profit is what David Castillo told me. Very simple. They sign advertisers to 1 year agreements and are pro-active in marketing. Not concerned about design, just an efficient money making site.

Thanks, Jim

•••
PalmSprings.com is one of the most profitable Geo's on the internet, $500,000+ profit is what David Castillo told me. Very simple. They sign advertisers to 1 year agreements and are pro-active in marketing. Not concerned about design, just an efficient money making site.

Thanks, Jim

What they've done on PalmSprings.com makes perfect sense on a .com- and I disagree that they're "not concerned with design". They're just people who realize that elegance and simplicity means more than flash, tack and crap. They care GREATLY about design- and they understand that the best designs are usually the simplest and most functional.

Anyway, I suppose you could unseat some long established SERP standard-bearers with a .TV using the right development scheme; G is pretty agnostic like that; but as far as user experience, what is the "user value" in .tv if it's being used to deliver static, website-format content? In that case, why not just buy and build a run of the mill city guide on a .biz or a .cc?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

From what I understand (never done it), full-scale geo development of a decent size city is a significant undertaking beyond the financial capability of most individual domainers.

Not at all.
It's 'beyond the financial capability' of poor people, or hobbyists who do this to kill time after work, or kids living in their parents basements... But no. There has been enough development already done that you can get some pretty meaningful stuff for a reasonable price. City In A Box is 12.5K down and I think 2K every year thereafter. That is full-full-full scale.

Last edited:
•••

I said i'd gave up posting on here but felt somebody should speak up and show Geo.tv is not barren land with no developmen.

No idea why nobody gave you examples of developed Geo.tv's as there is plent you there, some with video & some without.
I should state that your vision of a Geo.tv being like an online tv channel is not the vision everyone imagines, has developed or will developed.

SO here is some from an old list.
Some of them amy not be in action now or may of changed but i know for sure there is a few decent sites there.

•Prague.tv (shocked you slagged off Prague.tv as it's great site with excellent content & No user could care less if they use a cheap template / script. It's all about Search rankings, traffic & above all profit & all signs from Prague.tv is that they do more than fine on all 3)
•Sandpoint.tv
•DiscoverNepal.tv
•MySouthAfrica.tv
•mytvstation.tv
•nebraska.tv
•Vanuatu.tv
•MapaMallorca.tv
•Aurora.tv
•Fermanagh.tv
•nola.tv
•Nashville247.tv
•belper.tv
•247chicago.tv
•AspenLife.tv
•asia247.tv
•Mediaville.tv
•iutah.tv
•beyondleeds.tv
•sit1.tv
•HiltonHead.tv
•kentct.tv
•isstv.tv
•Powder.tv
•lsq.tv
•Tamworth.tv
•rawvegas.tv
•housingscotland.tv
•southlanarkshire.tv
•capetown.tv
•ScotlandonTV.tv
•lancashiremagazine.tv
•AyiaNapaTown.tv
•cobh.tv
•BathTV.tv
•bay.tv
•SFgov.tv
•madeinitaly.tv

Please dont reply directly to me on this post as im off from forum from now on.

•••
Please, show me an example of a fully developed geo.tv that actually produces fresh, updated video content, akin to the "tv channel" model that .tv proponents claim to be

Was browsing today both ouside and inside NP, got this one

WatchIndia.tv

- Not a pure Geo, shows most indian channels with subscriptions
(Fresh content every second)
- Claims to have lots of users
- has customer support (i tried)
- ranks on first page if you type "India tv" in Google

Just an example, I am sure one can find more.

•••

The biggest fool is he who speaks with the arrogance of ignorance.

SexyBeijing.TV

Arrogance An attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.
[Merriam-Webster]

•••
The biggest fool is he who speaks with the arrogance of ignorance.

SexyBeijing.TV

Arrogance An attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.
[Merriam-Webster]

beautiful exmple provided. Again, my thanks to you.

I must admit that the arrogance we witness seems to be quite pervasive as I have recently been the victim of same...it appears omnidirectional.

•••
What they've done on PalmSprings.com makes perfect sense on a .com- and I disagree that they're "not concerned with design". They're just people who realize that elegance and simplicity means more than flash, tack and crap. They care GREATLY about design- and they understand that the best designs are usually the simplest and most functional.

Anyway, I suppose you could unseat some long established SERP standard-bearers with a .TV using the right development scheme; G is pretty agnostic like that; but as far as user experience, what is the "user value" in .tv if it's being used to deliver static, website-format content? In that case, why not just buy and build a run of the mill city guide on a .biz or a .cc?

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Not at all.
It's 'beyond the financial capability' of poor people, or hobbyists who do this to kill time after work, or kids living in their parents basements... But no. There has been enough development already done that you can get some pretty meaningful stuff for a reasonable price. City In A Box is 12.5K down and I think 2K every year thereafter. That is full-full-full scale.

Paralysis Of Analysis", they are always planning, researching, always busy, but really get nothing done.

•••
Chop

Was browsing today both ouside and inside NP, got this one

WatchIndia.tv

- Not a pure Geo, shows most indian channels with subscriptions
(Fresh content every second)
- Claims to have lots of users
- has customer support (i tried)
- ranks on first page if you type "India tv" in Google

Just an example, I am sure one can find more.

That looks like a pretty good one.

Last edited:
•••
I'd say the biggest fool is one who can't comprehend words.
Go read the post you quoted and tell me what in there was 'arrogance'.

Anyway, I'm not really splitting hairs when I point out here that "SexyBeijing" isn't Pure Geo... They spent a considerable amount of money to build a brand on a hand-registered, reg fee .tv...

So, to the "biggest fool" category, perhaps we can add people who read questions, then furnish irrelevant answers.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

That looks like a pretty good one.

Dong,

What is your ROI? I don't care about anything else.

Thanks, Jim

•••
They make good money without fresh original video production or massive numbers of quality photos.

When dealing with a smaller locale, how many videos do you really need?

Isn't this the whole idea of .tv that it be video centric? If the suggestion is that you don't need much video on a geo domain then how does .tv fit?

•••
Isn't this the whole idea of .tv that it be video centric? If the suggestion is that you don't need much video on a geo domain then how does .tv fit?

...maybe 'cause it just does...

•••

Last edited:
•••
How much do you want to bet?
(and please, don't say something like "$100!!!!!!!!!")

You say "any amount of money" which is great, because you're local, so it makes things easier.
Define "hand over fist", then shoot me a PM and we will bang out the details. If you want, $5K or $10K with clear terms, sure. I'll take you to our office downtown and show you what I do.

(here's a hint- you just stuck your head into an ENORMOUS pile of shit with your little "wager" proposal. I call... and for christs sake, you do know that every sentence doesn't need to be triple-spaced, right? It's almost like you've created a unique stylistic method to convey what an enormous fucking spaz you are with disorienting

use
of

arbitrary

line

spacing)

One has to marvel at your taunting and harrassing qualities that you possess toward some members here.

Whatever good points you have presented to the forum thus far you have more than negated by your use of heckling, mocking and abrasive language toward members of the board. But I guess I'll just have to ignore it as you apparently are content to maintain your steady pace and be content with your apparent lack of maturity. That's too bad.

•••
In the midnight hour...............

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back